Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

mcmagic posted:

He's right. This deck is sweet and good.

Did you ever tell us what deck you were brewing up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

rabidsquid posted:

I loving loved Arena when I was a kid. Garth One-Eye mother fuckers!!! Also the card you got for it was dope.

As a kid I liked the followup trilogy more, with Greensleaves and her lovely woodcutter brother because she summons Force of Nature at the end of it.

The card from it was way less dope though.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Btw I'm on my phone but here is the tldr of Uncharted Realms: Jace tries to kill Lili because he's gone crazy and thinks she's responsible for Innistrad being hosed up. He loses and lili doesn't kill him because she actually likes him. Then he goes to Thraben to find Avacyn.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Thisuck posted:

Did you ever tell us what deck you were brewing up?

Yeah, I posted the UW Spirits list. It's good but it's not T1 right now.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Elyv posted:

Btw I'm on my phone but here is the tldr of Uncharted Realms: Jace tries to kill Lili because he's gone crazy and thinks she's responsible for Innistrad being hosed up. He loses and lili doesn't kill him because she actually likes him. Then he goes to Thraben to find Avacyn.

Wait what, wasn't he there beatboxing when Sorin killed Avacyn?

mcmagic posted:

Wow totally missed that, I'll have to go back and check it out. Spirits looked neat but not as meaty as some of the other decks right now.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Thisuck posted:

Wait what, wasn't he there beatboxing when Sorin killed Avacyn?

Hasn't happened in Uncharted Realms yet, probably at least a month away

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

mcmagic posted:

Can you repost it? I'll give it a shot once I'm done with Redrazi

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

80s James Hetfield posted:

Can you repost it? I'll give it a shot once I'm done with Redrazi

5 Island
9 Plains
3 Evolving Wilds
4 Prairie Stream
4 Port Town
2 Ojutai's Command
2 Stasis Snare
2 Declaration in Stone
4 Always Watching
3 Dragonlord Ojutai
3 Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit
4 Spectral Shepherd
4 Bygone Bishop
4 Rattlechains
4 Topplegeist
3 Negate
SB: 1 Negate
SB: 4 Surge of Righteousness
SB: 1 Stasis Snare
SB: 2 Dispel
SB: 4 Reflector Mage
SB: 1 Hidden Dragonslayer
SB: 2 Declaration in Stone

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Zoness posted:

wish it were true XOR useful instead

I don't know, he said "either true OR useful" I think that implies it's one or the other, but not both.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Not unless you're in a formal logic class or programming.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Would a 3WW 4/4 Flash, flying, vigilance with no other text be standard playable today?

No because no one wants to flash in a Serra angel.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Creatureless...

Day's Undoing...

Esper...

I'm intrigued. Got a list?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Pyronic posted:

you misunderstand, I'm not a customer I help run the place and i dont really want to rip kids off.

Buylists are inherently a rip off because there needs to be a large enough gap between what you pay and what it's worth to make it worth your time/money as a business.

If other stores pay a similar amount then don't worry about it. If you aren't paying rent on the building then it's not your place to decide what a fair price is.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Skyl3lazer posted:

I don't know, he said "either true OR useful" I think that implies it's one or the other, but not both.

It should and I would hold BenS to the highest standards of propositional logic but I feel like Luis would be way 'luis'-er about it.

:smithicide:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Would a 3WW 4/4 Flash, flying, vigilance with no other text be standard playable today?

It 100% would be.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

odiv posted:

Not unless you're in a formal logic class or programming.

If I say I want either a red balloon or a blue balloon I'm going to be disappointed in a purple one.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Some judges are suing Wizards of the Coast, claiming that Magic judges are employees.

quote:

Renton, WA—A handful of individuals who have been Magic judges for many years recently brought two lawsuits against Wizards of the Coast alleging that participating in the Magic community as a judge equates to employment with Wizards. These lawsuits are meritless.

With the exception of the Pro Tour, the World Magic Cup, and the Magic World Championship, Magic events are run by tournament organizers and local game stores who directly engage judges. But these lawsuits claim that Wizards runs all events and that the people judging those events are Wizards employees. Anyone who has played at their local store knows this simply is not true.

Magic: The Gathering is fortunate to have the greatest community in gaming. Fans choose to become judges out of a sincere love of the game and as a way to enjoy their favorite hobby. They ensure events are fair and fun, and we appreciate everything they do.

We look forward to quickly resolving the matter. While we defend against these spurious lawsuits, we want to assure the Magic community that we will do everything possible to ensure that premier events continue to run smoothly. We thank the entire Magic community—players, organizers, and judges—for their continued support.

Are lawsuits public information? Can we read them somewhere?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

BJPaskoff posted:

Some judges are suing Wizards of the Coast, claiming that Magic judges are employees.

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/california/candce/3:2016cv01924/297663 <-- You need PACER but it's there

e;

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-r_DZZo06cjdWxnejVZbDFreTQ/view

e2;

Basically they're saying that since WotC requires standards of judges that includes protecting and promoting their IP, they count as employees of WotC.

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 20, 2016

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Lol keep being used and abused as a judge for WOTC.

quote:

Magic: The Gathering is fortunate to have the greatest community in gaming. Fans choose to become judges out of a sincere love of the game and as a way to enjoy their favorite hobby. They ensure events are fair and fun, and we appreciate everything they do.
:lol::lol::lol:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

BJPaskoff posted:

Its funny how many people assume you can volunteer your time for a for profit company.

Skyl3lazer posted:

Basically they're saying that since WotC requires standards of judges that includes protecting and promoting their IP, they count as employees of WotC.

And that will be the entire suit in a nutshell. I wouldn't want to argue how a company can require someone to be from a certain group for events and then pretend they don't control that group.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

So assuming the judges win their lawsuit....which I truly believe they should, I wonder what the fall out of that will be?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Madmarker posted:

So assuming the judges win their lawsuit....which I truly believe they should, I wonder what the fall out of that will be?

Fewer events and/or more expensive events.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Madmarker posted:

Because this is WOTC, they will do something to lose massive profits instead of just losing a small cut of profits.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Sickening posted:

Its funny how many people assume you can volunteer your time for a for profit company.

And that will be the entire suit in a nutshell. I wouldn't want to argue how a company can require someone to be from a certain group for events and then pretend they don't control that group.

eek

I can't even really agree that this lawsuit is spurious, the judges actually have a nonzero chance of winning this if it actually goes to trial (which it probably won't)

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 20, 2016

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I mean a company can't set up a non-profit company to staff their for profit company. I understand that analogy doesn't quite fit this situation but its in the same ballpark.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Skyl3lazer posted:

eek

I can't even really agree that this lawsuit is spurious, the judges actually have a nonzero chance of winning this if it actually goes to trial (which it probably won't)

There's a case to be made that they're contractors, specifically because wizards does not set the hours the judges have to work, or where, or in what sort of attire, which is one of the litmus tests of employee vs. contract worker. However their tasks are specifically set by wizards and I assume wizards sets rules and regs for the judges, both of which land on the "employee" side of employee vs. contract.

I hope wizards gets boned on this because unfair labor practice is a pet peeve of mine, and I especially hate how they rely on the goodwill of the players without ever throwing much of a bone to us that doesn't involve their profits.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

jassi007 posted:

I know its really obscure but there has to be some place they can throw in a One-Eye planeswalker. Oor-Tael 4lyfe!

Uh Ajani already exists?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Lawnie posted:

I hope wizards gets boned on this because unfair labor practice is a pet peeve of mine, and I especially hate how they rely on the goodwill of the players without ever throwing much of a bone to us that doesn't involve their profits.
:agreed:
See, they already took away our player rewards so they can't do that if this ends up going anywhere. Watch them revoke FNM promos. :D

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Lawnie posted:

There's a case to be made that they're contractors, specifically because wizards does not set the hours the judges have to work, or where, or in what sort of attire, which is one of the litmus tests of employee vs. contract worker. However their tasks are specifically set by wizards and I assume wizards sets rules and regs for the judges, both of which land on the "employee" side of employee vs. contract.

I'm pretty sure that judges do have a dress code.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Some Numbers posted:

I'm pretty sure that judges do have a dress code.

Lmao, that's one of the example "requirements set by company that constitute an employment agreement." Also, is the dress code "your shirt must have been washed in the last 2 weeks. Your pants may have no more than 3 unexplained stains in the crotch area?"

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Lawnie posted:

Lmao, that's one of the example "requirements set by company that constitute an employment agreement." Also, is the dress code "your shirt must have been washed in the last 2 weeks. Your pants may have no more than 3 unexplained stains in the crotch area?"

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/judge-uniform-policy

Seems like that is the example you were mentioning.

It is a funny article though and I am sure it has been through quite a few edits. Some parts try to make it appear that the TO decides but others make it seem like they are calling the shots. WOTC is a really funny company. :allears:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Skyl3lazer posted:

eek

I'm not 100% on the case. I agree judges should be more fairly compensated for their time in larger events, but I would disagree that they are employees. Contractors of the companies running the events for sure since they are required to be there at certain times.

Is the DCI nonprofit? WotC can point to the fact that judges are technically certified and events are sanctioned by the DCI and not specifically by a subsidiary of Hasbro.

Whatever I don't mind paying an extra 5 bucks for the one GP I go to every two years if judges get paid a fair amount of stuff.

At my LGS the game coordinator is the judge and is an employee of the store. So that argument there is out the window.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

"But you see we pay them in foils"

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I'm not 100% on the case. I agree judges should be more fairly compensated for their time in larger events, but I would disagree that they are employees. Contractors of the companies running the events for sure since they are required to be there at certain times.

Is the DCI nonprofit? WotC can point to the fact that judges are technically certified and events are sanctioned by the DCI and not specifically by a subsidiary of Hasbro.

Whatever I don't mind paying an extra 5 bucks for the one GP I go to every two years if judges get paid a fair amount of stuff.

At my LGS the game coordinator is the judge and is an employee of the store. So that argument there is out the window.

WOTC has direct control over who can be a TO and who can be Judge right?

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Errant Gin Monks posted:

The DCI is a Wizards of the Coast subsidiary... Which in turn is a subsidiary of Hasbro.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Mikujin posted:

The DCI is a Wizards of the Coast subsidiary... Which in turn is a subsidiary of Hasbro.

Good enough then, I hope the judges win.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Mikujin posted:

They aren't really a subsidiary... I doubt the DCI has any revenue.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 20, 2016

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Skyl3lazer posted:

I love that they have determined that making fun of Cheon is useful.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

mcmagic posted:

They aren't really a subsidiary... I doubt the DCI has any revenue.
Which doesn't affect its status as a subsidiary, though (if it's established as such). Granted, it's much more likely the DCI is simply a division of WotC, which likely makes the case for the judges a bit more compelling anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect
WotC has already won/not lost one of these types of suits recently though, I thought. That's why they stopped giving out judge foils and switched to the exemplar program.

• Locked thread