Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

What's your name on the site? Does it support asynchronous play? And does it require having the real-life copy to be able to actually play the game? I would love to be able to try out the game and would be willing to dive in head first, blind and buying everything at random and crashing and burning like Pompeii.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

SlyFrog posted:

Ahh yes, who is the first person to join my newly posted game? "Yan Zen," who is currently playing 10 other games (some dating back to February), including a couple of three star games.

Good old Yan Zen has roughly 100 completed games of the new version of the game.

You can't even label something, "People with experience stay the gently caress out," and have these people get it.

Boardgamearena has Elo and you can limit games to Beginner-Good-Whatever or worse players. Not sure whether it's nTTA or oTTA.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

CaptainRightful posted:

The guy who runs the meetup has a good collection of light-medium weight games. I'm curious about both Spyrium and Champions of Midgard, because I know almost nothing about them. Are they any good?

Spyrium is a pretty solid game that is some combination of push your luck, worker placement and engine building in a pretty tight package. It goes on sale pretty often for less than 20, and even if I don't bring it out all the time, it's worth playing every few months.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

CaptainRightful posted:

The guy who runs the meetup has a good collection of light-medium weight games. I'm curious about both Spyrium and Champions of Midgard, because I know almost nothing about them. Are they any good?

Champions of Midgard is a quick, light worker-placement game - we played a three-player game in 45-60 minutes and we're not experienced. You place meeples (Viking farmers) to get resources, then use the dice you've gained (Viking warriors) to fight monsters. It's just not very cut-throat or competitive. Might be better with four players, as there are plenty of actions available and enough easy monsters to fight with three players. Players who are behind can fight trolls to distribute Shame tokens, which is fun.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

FulsomFrank posted:

I really love Ludwig but I can see the point salad stuff not being everyone's favourite. It's a lot of fun seeing the castle come together in front of you and the master builder getting to realign the tile-market in such a way that benefits him the most is a great mechanic that produces some interesting choices.

Yeah, I agree that it's fun to play, as long as you don't really care too much about winning. Weighing how expensive you should make the rooms you want so that you can guarantee you get them without hurting your own economy is interesting. Constantly monitoring everyone's castles to keep track of which of a dozen partially hidden scoring paths they may or may not be pursuing is not.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Anyone want to stumble through Antiquity with me? First time, let's make beautiful mistakes together~

http://play.boardgamecore.net/

goongame

EBag
May 18, 2006

PSA that Kanban is now up on boiteajeux

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Fat Samurai posted:

Boardgamearena has Elo and you can limit games to Beginner-Good-Whatever or worse players. Not sure whether it's nTTA or oTTA.

oTTA it looks like, sadly.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Just did my first importing of a boardgame!

Zug Um Zug: Deutschland and Deutschland 1902. Figured Germany is my birthplace, I should have a TTR of it since play a decent amount of TTR.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Even though I'm pretty sure most of this thread (yours truly included) strongly dislikes this game, it's news regardless and some people will no doubt be happy:

Expansion titled "Widow's Walk" for Betrayal At House On The Hill confirmed for Fall 2016

e: One thing that's.. interesting, I guess would be the word, is the list of contributors, which spans from the predictable like people who were involved with the original game (Bruce Glassco, Rob Daviau, Mike Selinker), and some people who worked on various WOTC board games like Dungeon Command, Jonathan Gilmour (Dead Of Winter :barf: ), to Max Temkin for some reason???, and also Zoe Quinn and Anita Sarkeesian.

Scyther fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 20, 2016

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Scyther posted:

Even though I'm pretty sure most of this thread (yours truly included) strongly dislikes this game, it's news regardless and some people will no doubt be happy:

Expansion titled "Widow's Walk" for Betrayal At House On The Hill confirmed for Fall 2016

Look, friend, you just misunderstand the point of the game. Whereas some games exercise different skills like maths, bluffing, or memorization, Betrayal relies on the skills of imagination and socialization in order to work as a team to have fun. If you aren't having fun, maybe you should work on getting better at those skills, instead of playing with spreadsheets in your basement.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Toshimo posted:

Look, friend, you just misunderstand the point of the game. Whereas some games exercise different skills like maths, bluffing, or memorization, Betrayal relies on the skills of imagination and socialization in order to work as a team to have fun. If you aren't having fun, maybe you should work on getting better at those skills, instead of playing with spreadsheets in your basement.

source your quotes

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Scyther posted:

e: One thing that's.. interesting, I guess would be the word, is the list of contributors, which spans from the predictable like people who were involved with the original game (Bruce Glassco, Rob Daviau, Mike Selinker), and some people who worked on various WOTC board games like Dungeon Command, Jonathan Gilmour (Dead Of Winter :barf: ), to Max Temkin for some reason???, and also Zoe Quinn and Anita Sarkeesian.

Here we go, its time for boardgamer gate! :twisted:

I can't wait to see what "problematic" things they have fixed in Betrayal!

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
I really want to see the haunt done by the Penny Arcade guy.

Also the Adventure Time dude for different reasons.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

EBag posted:

Anyone who has played Elysium here? It looks beautiful and seems pretty interesting but I don't see it talked about much.

It's very deck dependent. Don't include Athena AND Hermes because they both allow more actions. But it's brilliant in a WYSIWYG way; there's never concealed information on the playstate.

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!

This is almost definitely because of what they pulled with Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization. You can only get it from EGG direct if you're a store. My local store would love to sell it because they could move a bunch of copies to people who loved the first one, but they can't use a distributor they have an existing relationship with. EGG cut the distributors out of what would be a lucrative title, and may have done it/be doing it with other titles, so why should the distributors carry their other stock?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

CaptainRightful posted:

I've been going to a new Tuesday night meetup for a few weeks now and it's a good mix of people. Some experienced, some new, but all pretty chill.

Last night we played Castles of Mad King Ludwig (my second time ever). I feel like it's a perfectly enjoyable game that I can't get very excited about playing. The more I play point salad games, the less I like the concept.

I wasn't a fan of Champions of Midgard at all. You can spend multiple turns gathering your little viking dice and then just waste them all by rolling poorly. Really killed the game for me.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Scyther posted:

gently caress my life.

We just finally stopped playing this awful game because we had gone through enough haunts that we were getting repeats and now I have to play it again?

I don't understand why people. Can like this. In the three games we played Sunday (instead of playing anything good) every single one was already determined when the haunt was revealed. Either the traitor won because we were trapped or the traitor lost because it was a stupid plot like the invisible person one where it is nearly impossible to win.

Just... Ugh.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Caros posted:

gently caress my life.

We just finally stopped playing this awful game because we had gone through enough haunts that we were getting repeats and now I have to play it again?

I don't understand why people. Can like this. In the three games we played Sunday (instead of playing anything good) every single one was already determined when the haunt was revealed. Either the traitor won because we were trapped or the traitor lost because it was a stupid plot like the invisible person one where it is nearly impossible to win.

Just... Ugh.

Have you explained to your group that you don't enjoy it and would rather play something else?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Get better friends.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Caros posted:

For me, Betrayal is a horror story/movie where you trade [foreshadowing + coherent characterization + a guarantee of a tense ending] for [unpredictability + self inserting as the characters]. I understand why people would make that trade, even if I would never do so myself.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I was toying with the idea of designing a betrayal-like where each player has a personal deck that guarantees they'll find a weapon, utility item, have a bad event, have a good event, and so on, they just don't know the order, and have the rooms explored cross referenced with card type to determine what weapon/good event/bad event they find, in some kind of Tales Of The Arabian Nights style book, ideally all bad events should be equally bad, all good events equally good, and all weapons about equal (yes I know that's a tall order). The haunt equivalents would have to be structured completely differently as well, doing stuff like ensuring that The Thing You Need is far enough away from Where You Need To Bring it or whatever the scenario calls for. The deck structure should do enough to ensure that everyone is actually at a predictable power level at that point. Of course like all my game ideas, I'm never actually going to follow through with it, but jeez, they could have done SOMETHING to reel in the slot machine bullshit of the game.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Some Numbers posted:

Have you explained to your group that you don't enjoy it and would rather play something else?

I have, yes. We often play other (better games) but when 3/4 of the standard boardgame group, including your new girlfriend, enjoy something you just have to suck it up.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Scyther posted:

Call me when they get Mark Herman to do a haunt where' you're hunted by supernatural Vietcong

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Caros posted:

I have, yes. We often play other (better games) but when 3/4 of the standard boardgame group, including your new girlfriend, enjoy something you just have to suck it up.

Sever.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Scyther posted:

I was toying with the idea of designing a betrayal-like where each player has a personal deck that guarantees they'll find a weapon, utility item, have a bad event, have a good event, and so on, they just don't know the order, and have the rooms explored cross referenced with card type to determine what weapon/good event/bad event they find, in some kind of Tales Of The Arabian Nights style book, ideally all bad events should be equally bad, all good events equally good, and all weapons about equal (yes I know that's a tall order). The haunt equivalents would have to be structured completely differently as well, doing stuff like ensuring that The Thing You Need is far enough away from Where You Need To Bring it or whatever the scenario calls for. The deck structure should do enough to ensure that everyone is actually at a predictable power level at that point. Of course like all my game ideas, I'm never actually going to follow through with it, but jeez, they could have done SOMETHING to reel in the slot machine bullshit of the game.

Don't worry about it. "Plays like a game you like but with the problems fixed" will always do poorly compared to "has the same name and same flaws as the game you like." That's why there is so much Munchkin out there and none of it ever fixes anything.

Caros
May 14, 2008

You just made my day.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Caros posted:

This is probably why I have a very specific set of friends and also why I'm single.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Jimbozig posted:

Don't worry about it. "Plays like a game you like but with the problems fixed" will always do poorly compared to "has the same name and same flaws as the game you like." That's why there is so much Munchkin out there and none of it ever fixes anything.

Yes, that's another good reason to let that idea rot.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

This is probably why I have a very specific set of friends and also why I'm single.

That's is the choice we made. Be careful, this road leads to Calandale.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Caros posted:

gently caress my life.

Just... Ugh.

One time we had everything go just right and had the elusive game where both sides were competitive and everyone got to participate and contribute leading to a narrow finish over the traitor... and everyone still spent most of the time being bored and frustrated. But nobody wants to shelve it.

The real haunt is a spooky ghost that possesses people and makes them want to play bad games.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Scyther posted:

The only person with the patience to make that game made 514.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

In other bad game with blank-faced dice news:

http://avalonhill.wizards.com/games/betrayal-at-house-on-the-hill/widows-walk

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yes, we've been talking about it for half a page.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Some Numbers posted:

Yes, we've been talking about it for half a page.

well, did you hear about the dark souls board game thats coming out??

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
God the BGG game pages are terrible.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
BGG is useful for:

- Finding good cheat sheets and other supplements to print out.
- Finding pictures of games as well as basic info like release year and publisher.
- ??????

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Countblanc posted:

BGG is useful for:

- Finding pictures of games as well as basic info like release year and publisher.
- ??????

- A stark reminder of how not to design a website.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Countblanc posted:

BGG is useful for:

- ??????

- Finding posts of women in the vicinity of a game with hundreds of comments about how the members would like to cuck the poster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I was referring to the redesign. They not only made it require more clicking to find what you're looking for, but made it even less user friendly while trying to make it look like a facebook clone.