Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I don't think the person who went to the trouble of assembling an entire library of Lum pictures and cropping/resizing them for avatar use, only to then spend upwards of $100 giving random people Lum avatars, is doing it out of malice, bitterness, or a desire to own the anime forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Leak the mod queue

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Mods have no way of tracking who bought what avatar for whoever else.

The queue only lists mod-granted avatars.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If you put your avatar under your pillow tonight, the Lum Fairy will visit and grant you a Lum.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

still leak the mod queue

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

It puzzles me that it'd be Urusei Yatsura, though. I mean, okay sure, influential series in the late '80s, early '90s and all, but there hasn't been anything new going on for UY in what, seven eight years? And that had been a one off OVA that was the first new thing in twelve years.

It's like, why Lum, and why now? :iiam:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Lum is cute.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

jng2058 posted:

It puzzles me that it'd be Urusei Yatsura, though. I mean, okay sure, influential series in the late '80s, early '90s and all, but there hasn't been anything new going on for UY in what, seven eight years? And that had been a one off OVA that was the first new thing in twelve years.

there's a friggin bronze life size statue of lum in tokyo. she's timeless

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

I don't think the person who went to the trouble of assembling an entire library of Lum pictures and cropping/resizing them for avatar use, only to then spend upwards of $100 giving random people Lum avatars, is doing it out of malice, bitterness, or a desire to own the anime forum.

Yeah. I mean Lum may be anime as hell but someone looking to take the piss would have used mountains of borderline-hentai-that's-just-within-the-rules or weird fetish fuel or whatever. I really don't need to tell any of you how much creepier it gets than Lum.

If someone really wants to spend $100+ bucks on Lum pics I can't say I'm all that outraged.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

jng2058 posted:

the chat thread likes lum

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

Give darth walrus the ava back

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Rodyle posted:

the chat thread likes lum

Who doesnt

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

I dunno. I feel pretty owned

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I've never seen the anime Lum is from and don't plan on it in the near future.

Edit: Also, I don't have a Lum av so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

jfc

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Xelkelvos posted:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

it's a classic! also early congrats on your lum

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I've never seen the anime lum is from and I plan to watch it eventually, ty for listening

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

np

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Mysterious Lum avatars feel very in character.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

a kitten posted:

Nobody has any idea where the agressively hegemonizing Lum swarm is coming from.

The Lums are coming from inside the forums!

Isn't UY by the Ranma creator? I dunno if I want to read or watch any of her works, they don't seem to be very good.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

You're missing out on a couple of fantastic movies dude

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Demicol posted:

Maybe it's a Stand Alone Complex :tinfoil:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

E: This isn't the anime chat thread, so I'll instead say that the judges have come to a decision that I wont be probated this season (for my anime choices, not my posting)

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I agree with that decision.

Also: Let's all love Lum.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Demicol posted:

Isn't UY by the Ranma creator? I dunno if I want to read or watch any of her works, they don't seem to be very good.

Yep. It's one of her earlier works and it plays to her strengths of Rom-Coms I believe.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Demicol posted:

They're good, actually

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rumiko Takahashi got to be the best selling female manga author of all time and one of the richest women in Japan by writing things that weren't very good.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
She also wrote a lot of the standard plot devices and formulas that every other romcom today copies or is inspired by to some degree.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Rumiko Takahashi got to be the best selling female manga author of all time and one of the richest women in Japan by writing things that weren't very good.

lol yah, they were tremendously popular and groundbreaking works that defined the medium but since it rates a bit tepid compared to modern interpretations of her work theres a narrative that sprung up that stuff like ranma is bad, when its super good still.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Demicol posted:

But I thought I remembered Ranma being good. I did watch it a long time ago, though...

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Demicol posted:

What the

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Sharkopath posted:

lol yah, they were tremendously popular and groundbreaking works that defined the medium but since it rates a bit tepid compared to modern interpretations of her work theres a narrative that sprung up that stuff like ranma is bad, when its super good still.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Namtab posted:

E: This isn't the anime chat thread, so I'll instead say that the judges have come to a decision that I wont be probated this season (for my anime choices, not my posting)

Mayoiga is pretty great. Nice call.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Allarion posted:

She also wrote a lot of the standard plot devices and formulas that every other romcom today copies or is inspired by to some degree.

Hell there's a relatively popular thread here for a series that wouldn't exist without her laying that stuff down.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

not to say somebody can still say they dont like it, but even if you don't like the writing her arts still super lively and gorgeous and worth reading just for that.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i've only seen two episodes of UY and it's a really funny show

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

AnoHito posted:

But I thought I remembered Ranma being good. I did watch it a long time ago, though...

The first few seasons are still solid.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Ranma is a good read, not much reason to watch the show though. Rinne's a good show but I didn't read anything but the first chapter of the manga.

Inuyasha shouldn't exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Namtab posted:

You picked Danganronpa with twice the angst and none of the fun when you could have picked from multiple bread eating shows.

• Locked thread