Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dave_Indeed posted:

Why are vikings such massive pussies these days? Are they just tired of loving poo poo up?

The real viking are danes the ones in norway are the turd farmers who got left behind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Absolute Lithops posted:

In practice he'll have a life sentence. After 21 years, they'll "review his case" every year or so and always conclude that he should stay in prison.

Yah, prisoners considered especially dangerous can get this extra clause on their sentence which works pretty much like that, with periodic reviews to see if it's reasonable to let them out yet. In this dickhead's case it's going to be "what, is it that time again already? ...well, gently caress that guy for another couple of years, next order of business?"

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
someone took PC master race a bit too far

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ArbitraryC posted:

It sounds like mostly the inhumane treatment stuff referred to what he claimed to be excessive searches of his person and excessive restraints when moving from cell to cell and the courts more or less agree that if there isn't a reason to put handcuffs and search him constantly then they shouldn't be doing it just to remind him he's a second class citizen. Which honestly seems okay to me if he's been a cooperative prisoner and there's no real evidence he plans on going out in a blaze of glory fighting the guards.

Didn't see the playstation mentioned at all in the article op linked but it seems like kind of a dumb point anyways. Iirc there's been several stats showing giving prisoners decent entertainment keeps em calm and docile so w/e if video games make jails more humane and decreases security concerns then by all means give them an xbone.

Counterpoint: he massacred 77 people.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Counterpoint: he massacred 77 people.

Quickly, suspend liberalism and due process!!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
They should just force all longterm prisoners to play WoW all day.

They could have an all-con raiding guild

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Svartvit posted:

Acceptable in some situations imo

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
You will notice that the rear end in a top hat is in fact being treated more or less according to due process, having the details of his incarceration looked at and so forth. As opposed to being, I dunno, hit over the head with a shovel and dumped in the marshes or something.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
prisoners don't have the same rights as regular citizens? hosed up if true.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I'm sure Norwegians are just stumbling over themselves to import America's incredibly effective and not at all broken criminal justice system, thanks for the hot tips fellow something awful dot com posters.

Think Thin!
Sep 17, 2006
they should let him out imo

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Svartvit posted:

This argument really rings hollow when the guy you're so nobly sticking up for killed dozens of people because he's a hateful fascist.

Think Thin!
Sep 17, 2006

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

This argument really rings hollow when the guy you're so nobly sticking up for killed dozens of people because he's a hateful fascist.

uuuh, but if youd read my point??

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dr Cheeto posted:

I'm sure Norwegians are just stumbling over themselves to import America's incredibly effective and not at all broken criminal justice system, thanks for the hot tips fellow something awful dot com posters.

Theres a difference between thinking americas justice system is good and thinking you should be killed if you murder an islandful of kids

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I think the argument all these dirty hippies are making is that you shouldn't sink to his level.

I'm of the opinion that if there is no question of guilt, and he is never going to get out anyway, he should probably be put to death. He is a danger to society, and a drain on the resources, and no benefit is gained by his continued existence. If there is a chance of him ever walking free in the future, then his current conditions aren't too bad.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

:siren:

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RFC2324 posted:

I think the argument all these dirty hippies are making is that you shouldn't sink to his level.

I'm of the opinion that if there is no question of guilt, and he is never going to get out anyway, he should probably be put to death. He is a danger to society, and a drain on the resources, and no benefit is gained by his continued existence. If there is a chance of him ever walking free in the future, then his current conditions aren't too bad.

liberals get to feel good about the fact that he's alive tho so he should live!!!!!

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

The fact is unleashing my reptile brain on this dude does not make me as bad as him because I am not unleashing my reptile brain on 77 innocent children. e: my human brain tells me that and my mammal brain concurs.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I'm sticking up for the concept of due process and the democratic regime. I don't believe we should have an on/off button for that.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

they should make it a monkey's paw style thing and give him an xbox one :smug:

Lil Bit O Vitriol
Jan 10, 2010

Bro Dad posted:

they should make it a monkey's paw style thing and give him an xbox one :smug:

Now THAT is what I call a violation of human rights!

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
If you actually do the math it's generally more costly to perform an execution, not even getting into the question of if it's ethical or should we entrust a demonstrably fallible justice system with the power to kill, or what psychological hazards exist for the staff performing the execution.

It might bother you that a cold-blooded murderer like Brevik is lounging in a dorm room playing Crazy Taxi but I guess you should take joy in the fact that he'll live and die under lock and key and constant surveillance and is no longer a threat to anyone.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
What's the going rate for a new 3DS in Norway, how many children do I have to kill? :confused:

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

I'm of the opinion that if there is no question of guilt, and he is never going to get out anyway, he should probably be put to death.

Eh. Not a power the state should be allowed to have. Even if you philosophically grant that there are some cases where putting a prisoner to death would be morally justified beyond a doubt, such cases are pretty loving rare in the first place and the utility value of letting such worst-case statistical outliers define policy is questionable. Dude does not represent an actual danger to society and it's not exactly as if he has a bunch of followers working to spring him from prison and having him lead some kind of revolution or something.

I have to be honest, I hate the fucker and my reptile brain wouldn't mind choking the life from him, but... my higher-order brain would rather have a historian's revenge; let him become an obscure and irrelevant footnote, let him live long enough to see that happen.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Dr Cheeto posted:

If you actually do the math it's generally more costly to perform an execution, not even getting into the question of if it's ethical or should we entrust a demonstrably fallible justice system with the power to kill, or what psychological hazards exist for the staff performing the execution.

It might bother you that a cold-blooded murderer like Brevik is lounging in a dorm room playing Crazy Taxi but I guess you should take joy in the fact that he'll live and die under lock and key and constant surveillance and is no longer a threat to anyone.

Crazy Taxi? If he has a Dreamcast I'm gonna lose my poo poo.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Dr Cheeto posted:

Doesn't actually bother me, I just see it as wasteful.

From everything I have seen and heard, the reason its usually more expensive to execute someone is the appeals process, since most systems automatically appeal the sentence over and over until every appeal is exhausted(which is generally a good thing). In cases like this, where the accused is actively proud of being a mass murderer, and all evidence points to it clearly being him, I don't know that this should be an issue.

As for the psychological damage, I can see 2 routes. The old firing squad technique(20 guys shooting, most have blanks so no one actually knows who killed him), or just hire a Texan executioner(I think we still have one or 2) who has the job because it allows him to live out his murder fantasies legally, without hurting innocents.

Executions should be vanishingly rare, but there ARE cases where it is warranted, and this is one, imo.

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
Anyone actually read the article yet?

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

bluewedge posted:

they should let him out imo

Yeah but they should let everybody know when and where he's being released.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

RFC2324 posted:

Executions should be vanishingly rare, but there ARE cases where it is warranted, and this is one, imo.

If cases where they are warranted are vanishingly rare, why even have executions? Why build that potential for egregious error into the system? What do we lose letting a vanishingly small number of very sick people die in dorm rooms, and what would we gain by hastening the process?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
The most likely scenario where this rear end in a top hat is released is if he becomes old and decrepit enough to be incapable of being any kind of threat. Straight from the prison to the nursing home, more or less.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Dr Cheeto posted:

If cases where they are warranted are vanishingly rare, why even have executions? Why build that potential for egregious error into the system?

Also consider what kind of incompetent rear end-clowns we can sometimes have in charge of the justice department and whatnot. Better to just not have this in the toolbox.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

This thread can only end with a goon version of The Bet. Don't disappoint.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
Give him to Isis imo, the only condition is they have to put what they do with him on YouTube

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
*desires upgrade from lovely New York apartment, moves to Norway and kills a bunch of people.*

Lil Bit O Vitriol
Jan 10, 2010

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

*desires upgrade from lovely New York apartment, moves to Norway and kills a bunch of people.*

It might seem like an upgrade but you won't be smiling when they give you the Nintendo 3DS instead of the New Nintendo 3DS.

Lazer Monkey
Jan 15, 2005

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

What's the going rate for a new 3DS in Norway, how many children do I have to kill? :confused:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The actual case was for solitary confinement, which iirc was more de facto than a literal solitary cell.

I can't wait till he gets to 'mingle' with the other prisoners :)

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
itt: retards appease their lizard brains by wishing death upon someone and ignore logic
then again, that's pretty much every right-wing belief :grin:

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I feel like this isnt helping his rehabilitation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

video games just encourage more violence

• Locked thread