Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
The Arkham Knight is killer croc's clone, he regrew from a shed tail and evolved and is smarter and faster now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
What an unbelievably lovely way to wrap up the Joker blood plotline. They should have either cut this, or made it the main plot and cut the Arkham Knight.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Zeniel posted:

Plus they already pointed out that the Arkham Knight is missing an eye.

Did they? I know the militia were talking about training with a one-eyed assassin with an unusual healing factor, but I figured they were talking about Deathstroke

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser

fool_of_sound posted:

What an unbelievably lovely way to wrap up the Joker blood plotline. They should have either cut this, or made it the main plot and cut the Arkham Knight.

I...disagree because of reasons the LP hasn't shown yet.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Zeniel posted:

Plus they already pointed out that the Arkham Knight is missing an eye.

That was a wink wink, nudge nudge to Deathstroke.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it's not quite wrapped up yet. There's going to be an even shittier wrap down the line.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I don't doubt that the Jokerjack is just beginning.

Pure speculation: Arkham Knight is Jason Todd but he also got turned into a Joker while the Joker had him hostage like in the flashback in Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That was a wink wink, nudge nudge to Deathstroke.

If he'd used the Remote Claw, we'd know.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Waffleman_ posted:

I don't doubt that the Jokerjack is just beginning.

Pure speculation: Arkham Knight is Jason Todd but he also got turned into a Joker while the Joker had him hostage like in the flashback in Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker.

That would be a dick move in keeping with what this game has done so far. Joker keeping Jason on ice, but giving him a dose of Joker blood and a nice inheritance as a hedge bet to the whole Arkham City gambit. Again, pure speculation based on the discussion at hand.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Admittedly, Joker asking Jason Todd who Batman is and then shooting him just before he can answer is the kind of dick move Joker would pull.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
It's a pretty good punchline, you've gotta admit.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Fun fact: If you replace each instance of Arkham with Joker, the series name becomes much more honest.

Batman: Joker Asylum
Batman: Joker City
Batman: Joker Origins

Although it remains to be seen if we'll hit four for four.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Counterpoint: Joker only knew his blood was killing him, not that it was contagious. The Joker-lites showed up after he was dead.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

SardonicTyrant posted:

Fun fact: If you replace each instance of Arkham with Joker, the series name becomes much more honest.

Batman: Joker Asylum
Batman: Joker City
Batman: Joker Origins

Although it remains to be seen if we'll hit four for four.

Well, with the Joker Blood threatening to transmute Batman into Bat-Joker, that would make this game: Batman: Joker Knight. I'd say we're headed there.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Speedball posted:

Admittedly, Joker asking Jason Todd who Batman is and then shooting him just before he can answer is the kind of dick move Joker would pull.

I mean, what does he care who was under the mask? It's one of the few bits I genuinely like about Joker's characterization. He doesn't give a poo poo who Batman is, he's just Batman to him. Just like it doesn't matter at all who Joker was.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
So, people think Barbara and Jason aren't dead. Anyone else who isn't dead? I don't count Joker.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Gonna guess Talia al'Ghul because she comes from a family of crazy necromancer ninjas and has been brought up repeatedly.

Batman's parents are still dead, though.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Talia could be alive, somehow, but I don't think so. Why didn't she show up during the League of Assassins quest if that were the case?

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Night10194 posted:

Gonna guess Talia al'Ghul because she comes from a family of crazy necromancer ninjas and has been brought up repeatedly.

Batman's parents are still dead, though.

If they are now not dead then Batman's big push to why he is doing this fades.
And what would the dynamics of having parents only ~5 years older than he is?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Night10194 posted:

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Talia could be alive, somehow, but I don't think so. Why didn't she show up during the League of Assassins quest if that were the case?

Talia is alive-it's an easter egg in the League sidequest.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, the League usually reserves its Lazarus Pits for their glorious leader, but on occasion they've been used to revive other people in the comics and I bet the big man's daughter would be on the shortlist of people allowed to use it.

The downside, of course, is that they tend to erode your sanity and may have unintended side-effects.

(I'll bet Clayface being electrocuted face-down in a Lazarus Pit during Arkham City did a number on his biology if it didn't kill him)

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Speaking of the al'Ghul family, is Damian (Bats and Talia's son, it's complicated) a thing in this 'verse? I'd assume not, I don't think I ever saw a file on him in the games.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

He wasn't mentioned in the other games, and you'd think Talia would have brought him up at some point.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Here's a crazy idea: the game never happened. After Ace Chemicals this whole thing has been one big fear hallucination and Batman is in a padded containment cell. Nightwing Robin and Oracle (who didn't get kidnapped) mopped up Scarecrow and the Knight and took care of everything.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Bruceski posted:

Here's a crazy idea: the game never happened. After Ace Chemicals this whole thing has been one big fear hallucination and Batman is in a padded containment cell. Nightwing Robin and Oracle (who didn't get kidnapped) mopped up Scarecrow and the Knight and took care of everything.

Really the only thing that would salvage this thing for me.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

mandatory lesbian posted:

1) this all happened before i was born, and that's weird bc i thought the whole jason todd thing happened in the 90's

2) they should have kept him red-haired, if for no other reason then they could have given him shirley temple curls and that would have been funny, to me

Late 80s to late 90s was the first Dark Age of comics so you're not entirely wrong. What was started by Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns quickly became a rush for edginess to show how violent and adult comics could be as well trying to create as many collector's item issues they could, usually by killing off some long time/major character. Jason Todd was right around the twilight of the Bronze Age and into the Modern Era of comics.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

Bruceski posted:

"It was all a dream" Is never, ever less stupid than the alternative.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Crigit posted:

I cannot see the devs ripping off The Wizard of Oz to be any worse than what we're dealing with already. Half the stupid plot poo poo in this game is already being blamed on the McGuffin Gas so it may as well be him dreaming.

It was becoming increasingly obvious that Arkham Knight was someone Batman had spurned and since dead-Robin is suddenly being name dropped I'm becoming more and more convinced it's him. Seriously, 'guy-I-thought-was-dead-but-really-wasn't-and-now-blames-me-for-leaving-them-for-dead' is as cliche as anything else we've seen so far.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
This subplot would have worked better if they'd tied it more closely to Scarecrow, rather than 'oh this issue Batman has been working on for weeks just so happend to become an issue the same day Scarecrow strikes'.

Maybe have something like have the infected show up after the evacuation, and it turns out Scarecrow was working on Joker's blood after Arkham City, and he's made a new strain of Joker toxin that stays dormant until people are exposed to fear gas, then it Jokerises them? Then you could have some piece, where I dunno, GCPD turns out to be infected and you have to make a cure for Gordon in a minigame or something. It would anchor the subplot to the main game's themes and ideas more solidly, as it stands this feels like a part of the script that needed another draft.

As for the Arkham Knight, I would have had him be an anti-hero, with him helping and hindering Batman at certain points. You could even keep it ambigous if there really is an Arkham Knight, or if Batman is hallucinating him. Scarecrow offers a lot of possibilties in a video game, but it doesn't feel like they're using them to the fullest potenial.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
If nothing else, since all the Jason Todd flashbacks are going on inside Batman's head, it does lend credence to everyone who speculated that he actually does know that Jason Todd was Arkham Knight all along.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Y'know, for all that I strongly dislike the specifics of the plot so far and the overall quality of the writing on display ("Go to hell" just sounds so wrong coming out of Batman's mouth), I will say that this segment worked for me. I even kind of like it as a way to wrap up the Joker-blood subplot.

thecluckmeme posted:

This game takes itself as seriously as the Nolan movies for Bat Tragedies, but has the plot of an Animated Series episode.

Y'know, this really resonates with me. In fact, it's not like B:TAS didn't take itself seriously; it's like... Hmm. I dunno. I think, at a guess, the missing thing between the Nolanverse (and its spiritual derivatives, like this game) was an earnest love of the characters and the world they inhabit. And maybe a willingness to have a little bit of fun, sometimes at least.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

It was becoming increasingly obvious that Arkham Knight was someone Batman had spurned and since dead-Robin is suddenly being name dropped I'm becoming more and more convinced it's him. Seriously, 'guy-I-thought-was-dead-but-really-wasn't-and-now-blames-me-for-leaving-them-for-dead' is as cliche as anything else we've seen so far.

Yeah, now you know how it felt for those of us who went into the game knowing about Jason Todd from the comics. It just seemed inconceivable that AK could be anyone but him, except for the fact that the Arkham series up til now had made basically no mention of the guy.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I was going to ask if Scarecrow had even done anything recently besides John Noble at Batman over loudspeaker, but then I remembered Barbara.

This game.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Crigit posted:

That's kind of the point. If players think that "the story never actually happened" is preferable to your story, you've hosed up somewhere. Probably several somewheres.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

If nothing else, since all the Jason Todd flashbacks are going on inside Batman's head, it does lend credence to everyone who speculated that he actually does know that Jason Todd was Arkham Knight all along.

The flashbacks were presented alongside Tim's Robin fighting against goons in life threatening situations. I think it's Batman just worrying about letting Tim die like Jason.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
I just wanna say that if these guys remember to give even Harley(Who I wouldn't even mind not having it due to being loving insane) basic trigger discipline, why the gently caress don't other game devs remember it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The flashbacks were presented alongside Tim's Robin fighting against goons in life threatening situations. I think it's Batman just worrying about letting Tim die like Jason.

OldMemes posted:

This subplot would have worked better if they'd tied it more closely to Scarecrow, rather than 'oh this issue Batman has been working on for weeks just so happend to become an issue the same day Scarecrow strikes'.

You're misunderstanding what's happened. The reason Joker has begun manifesting is because of the fear gas. The Joker was given a hallucinatory form and a separate personality within Bruce's mind because he was exposed to the gas. Becoming the Joker, and letting harm come to his friends, are Batman's greatest fear. Joker, a fear gas hallucination that manifests what is happening to his mind from the infection, is taking him on a greatest hits tour of all of his worst nightmares.

Scarecrow planned the Oracle suicide staging- he knows about Batman's insecurity about harm befalling his allies- but he has no idea about the blood infection and how much worse it's making everything.

Waffleman_ posted:

I was going to ask if Scarecrow had even done anything recently besides John Noble at Batman over loudspeaker, but then I remembered Barbara.

He's been trying to run his Plan C version of spreading the fear gas. The gas-spreader macguffin Cloudburst he stole off the airship needed the equivalent of a whole power plant of similarly macguffiny energy cells to run.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 21, 2016

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

"It was all a dream" is often a stupid cop-out but I've seen one version of it that was used well. Star Trek TNG's "Frame of Mind" episode where Riker alternates between being a patient in a mental hospital or being Riker putting on a play about being in a mental hospital on the Enterprise. Turns out both versions of reality are distorted dreams and his mind is being broken into by someone probing his brain; the struggle was to figure out what was going on and how to snap himself out of it all, so it was less of an "everything you did never mattered" problem.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I personally like the ideas in this game, they're just presented really poorly. Studying Batman/Bruce's whole I must be the hero and protect everyone mentality and seeing just how badly that mentality fails could be a very cool story theme, this game just has so many poor bat-decisions that it doesn't work all the time. I personally think that there are some good moments in this game, and for what it's worth I like the idea behind the people becoming the Joker, again it's the execution that's lacking. Heck Scarecrow and the Arkham Knight tag-teaming to bring Batman to his lowest point ever has good potential.

Also yeah whilst Batman would've slowly become Joker anyway because he is infected like the other Jokers the hallucination is him being afraid of that happening. Interestingly from what I remember these guys have been cured of the bit that kills you, like Batman was at the end of city, it just turns out sometimes the disease messes with the brain as well and the cure from City doesn't fix that bit. At least that's how I understand this bit of plot.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

OldMemes posted:

Maybe have something like have the infected show up after the evacuation, and it turns out Scarecrow was working on Joker's blood after Arkham City, and he's made a new strain of Joker toxin that stays dormant until people are exposed to fear gas, then it Jokerises them? Then you could have some piece, where I dunno, GCPD turns out to be infected and you have to make a cure for Gordon in a minigame or something. It would anchor the subplot to the main game's themes and ideas more solidly, as it stands this feels like a part of the script that needed another draft.

As for the Arkham Knight, I would have had him be an anti-hero, with him helping and hindering Batman at certain points. You could even keep it ambigous if there really is an Arkham Knight, or if Batman is hallucinating him. Scarecrow offers a lot of possibilties in a video game, but it doesn't feel like they're using them to the fullest potenial.

I want to play your game. It sounds a lot better than this one. Remove the Batmobile based Riddler challenges (but still use it to navigate and take down APCs, etc) and I'm all the way there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

You know for how much the batmobile gets ragged on in this thread, I can't help but feel that the one thing that disappoints me the most is the fact that we got very little mach 5 action going on. It could have been a really fun way to traverse the city if you could just watch the batmobile whip out an absurd array of gadgets to plow through obstacles in it's path.

• Locked thread