Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

tsc posted:

This was the first time I've ever been "really" camping, particularly as an adult, and now that I'm recovered from the pay shower, we're looking into tents.

Save yourself the cash and just get hammocks the first time around. You'll be much happier for it.

Passed this dam on the way out of Mohican State Forest last weekend. Hard to read, but the plaque reads "Morning Glory Spillway"

For what it's worth, this is relatively near Coonville Holiness Church. Oh Appalachia :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
Hammocks are not ideal for side sleepers, is that right? I think I remember that from some prior page of hammockchat.

In fact, is anything other than bulky inflatable pads good for side sleeping?

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

Time Cowboy posted:

Well, having 2 hours on the trail before watching the sun rise because "gently caress it, I'm done trying to sleep" is its own special kind of rewarding.

tsc
Jun 18, 2004
hostis humani generis

OSU_Matthew posted:

Save yourself the cash and just get hammocks the first time around. You'll be much happier for it.

We actually have an indoor hammock that I love, but I'm a stomach/side sleeper and can't do much more than a few hours in it without waking up irritable. We also live in the mojave, so if we want to do local camping we'd be boned.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

tsc posted:

We actually have an indoor hammock that I love, but I'm a stomach/side sleeper and can't do much more than a few hours in it without waking up irritable. We also live in the mojave, so if we want to do local camping we'd be boned.

Oh thank god I thought you said "we also live in Mojave", as in, the town. I was about to feel ... so, so terrible for you. Now I only feel slightly terrible. May you one day escape its sandy embrace.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Time Cowboy posted:

Hammocks are not ideal for side sleepers, is that right? I think I remember that from some prior page of hammockchat.

Not necessarily, I'm a stomach/side sleeper myself, but I sleep great in a hammock because the way it cradles every part of your body to relieve pressure points. I also have no problem rolling over on my side in the hammock, which is great because it holds you perfectly.

Only pad I've ever tried that works for me as a side sleeper was the NeoAir Dream, and that was ~5 pounds and >200$. Everything else was miserable, and I wound up sleeping on my back anyways.

tsc posted:

Is your indoor hammock a spreader bar hammock or a gathered end? Because, if it has spreader bars on the end, that is the most unsafe and uncomfortable way to sleep, and largely only exists because real hammocks are hard to draw. Spreader bars are the reason why people think hammocks sleep in a U shape and are dangerous/prone to flipping over. Gathered end hammocks can't flip over, and you sleep almost perfectly flat.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
I don't sleep perfectly flat in my hammock. The only way for me to accomplish that is the hang it super tight and then the sides squeeze my shoulders too much. If I had a Hennessey with asymmetrical hang I might be better off in that department but I don't and I won't for a while, if ever.

I don't mind sleeping with a little curvature, though.

Crazyeyes fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 13, 2016

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Crazyeyes posted:

I don't sleep perfectly flat in my hammock. The only way for me to accomplish that is the hang it super tight and then the sides squeeze my shoulders too much. If I had a Hennessey with asymmetrical hang I might be better off in that department but I don't and I won't for a while, if ever.

I don't mind sleeping with a little curvature, though.

Any gathered end hammock you should be able to get a flat lay, the trick is to hang it at ~30° angle on each strap so it's not too taught or too slack. A proper length ridgeline allows you to get the perfect hang every time.

You may also need a slightly longer or wider hammock depending on your height, that can give you extra slack and make for a more comfortable lay.

It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it (wamp womp), but it's still a little bit of an art form.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

taqueso posted:

Neat, did you happen to get a picture of inside the snow shelter? I've always wanted to make something like that, but I'm never camping around enough snow.

Yeah, but it's not impressive. Because of the small size, it's impossible to create the distance to give a reasonable impression of the inside with a photo. I probably should've shot video. It housed two comfortably, three was a bit of a squeeze. We put up a headlamp in it for light and even carved a few shelves into the interior side.

Interesting note-- the store-bought snow saws we used were garbage. We had some custom made ones designed by an old mountain man and they were amazing. Very thick, large teeth.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Another side sleeper's two cents: Stoic's medium weight pad is a decent compromise. I can generally sleep on my side on it (sometimes I have to stick a shirt or something under it for longer trips), and it's light enough to not be TOO much of a burden for short (3mi or less) hikes in, as long as I remember to strap it onto my pack instead of trying to tie it because I'm terrible at that - though it is bulky, and will get caught on things / act as a bit of a sail.

As for hammocks, as long as it doesn't have a bar and you don't sag too much it's never been a problem for me. Although maybe a blanket helps in windy situations. It gets cold off the ground...

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Side sleeper pad talk ...

Check out the big agnes insulated q core. $100, less than 2 lbs, r value of 5 and comfortable as could be. Once I made this change I sleep like a baby.

I was hesitant about an inflatable pad but it's been super durable.

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

I have an inflatable Big Agnes too. Although mine is non insulated. I love it. If I had to buy it again I'd go with the insulated version, though, as mine tends to be a little rough if it dips below 50ish degrees. I also do base camping, though. If I were moving night to night it might be a pain to blow up 5 days in a row.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Yeah I'm generally not a big fan of inflatables but something that makes me feel comfortable at night is great. With my self inflating, my shoulders and hips would be so sore in the morning. I tried to force myself to sleep on my back but it causes me to snore and wake myself up.

I've slept on it in freezing temps and been very comfortable.

A trick with the inflatables, get a hair tie and a trash bag with a anak hole in the corner. Open the valve and secure the hole to the valve with a hair tie. Get air into the trash bag and close it which pushes the air into the pad. A little tricky to get used to but it goes quickly once you get it.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Time Cowboy posted:

There are plenty of inflatables that are light and pack down small. In addition to some that were already mentioned, a lot of the thermarest NeoAir series fit the bill. e.g., the Trekker is ~1lb and packs down to 4.5"x9". A pad like that under inflated a bit is a big step up for side sleeping compared to a self inflating pad IMO.

More sleeping pad chat: has anyone gone with a large sized pad simply for the extra width (e.g. 25" instead of 20")? Have you found the extra weight/packed size/cost worth it to be able to sprawl out more & keep your arms on the pad? Or does the extra width not do much to improve sleeping comfort?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I don't think the extra width is worth it if you're going to be in a zipped up bag all night. If it's warm enough to unzip your bag and spread out a bit then maybe. I suspect it's more helpful if you are just a big person and less helpful for a normal person trying to get more space, but the real thing to do is go to a REI or something and test the different sizes. Also keep in mind if you have a tent that you share with someone else then your wider pad might take up their space.

The most annoying thing I found about the inflatable pads is that they can be kind of a pain to fit a pillow on as it tends to slide off and if you're 6' like me and the regular size pad is a 6' length then it's just slightly awkward to fit the pillow on. That said, they are generally comfy for side sleeping and the best you're gonna do sleeping on the ground.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I don't think a wider pad would be worth it for a normal sized person, unless you move around in your sleep a lot.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Splinter posted:

There are plenty of inflatables that are light and pack down small. In addition to some that were already mentioned, a lot of the thermarest NeoAir series fit the bill. e.g., the Trekker is ~1lb and packs down to 4.5"x9". A pad like that under inflated a bit is a big step up for side sleeping compared to a self inflating pad IMO.

More sleeping pad chat: has anyone gone with a large sized pad simply for the extra width (e.g. 25" instead of 20")? Have you found the extra weight/packed size/cost worth it to be able to sprawl out more & keep your arms on the pad? Or does the extra width not do much to improve sleeping comfort?

I'm 6' and relatively average build. I use a Large NeoAir Xlite which is 25" and it's great. The extra width is most definitely worth it, especially with a quilt. I still keep my pack next to me for even more width.

By myself in a Big Agnes Fly Creek 2, there's obviously plenty of space. I spent about 6 months in the same tent with another small NeoAir Xlite along side me and it was snug, but doable.

tsc
Jun 18, 2004
hostis humani generis

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Oh thank god I thought you said "we also live in Mojave", as in, the town. I was about to feel ... so, so terrible for you. Now I only feel slightly terrible. May you one day escape its sandy embrace.

Close enough. Lancaster, and I commute to Bakersfield. :suicide:

OSU_Matthew posted:

Is your indoor hammock a spreader bar hammock or a gathered end? Because, if it has spreader bars on the end, that is the most unsafe and uncomfortable way to sleep, and largely only exists because real hammocks are hard to draw. Spreader bars are the reason why people think hammocks sleep in a U shape and are dangerous/prone to flipping over. Gathered end hammocks can't flip over, and you sleep almost perfectly flat.

Gathered end proper hammock. Don't get me wrong, it's very comfortable for naps and the occasional overnight when one of us is sick, but it's never a *good* night of sleep. I also end up pretty much on my face at night and that just doesn't work in the hammock.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

tsc posted:

Close enough. Lancaster, and I commute to Bakersfield. :suicide:

AV bro. Represent.

Palmdaaaaale, come back to meeeee (or don't, please I don't ever want to see you again).

Though being closer to the nicer camping places up north was nice.

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006
That reminds me of a story...

A Horse Named Mandy posted:

Well, it looks like I got my Half Dome cables permit... for a Wednesday. At least it will be less crowded, so I'm hoping it can be my first good Yosemite trip. I've been to there 5 times in my adult life, living 4 hours away, and every time has been an absolute disaster for one reason or another. Does anybody else have a "unicorn" destination you just can't make work? Admittedly, almost every time has been my own unpreparedness, but it's never been nearly as bad at a dozen other parks like it always is at Yosemite.

First time I went up Half Dome was on a Wednesday. We did a midnight start, got there at sunrise, and were the second group up the cables (although we didn't see the first group go up - they were on top when we arrived). Going mid-week makes accommodations much easier if you don't have a reservation. Just get there reasonably early, head to Camp 4 (bring cash) and you have a fairly good chance of snagging a spot.

What happened on past trips to make them disasters?

As for unicorns, mine is Mt Whitney. This summer I hope to finally bag it at the end of a High Sierra Trail trip.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Lately for me it's been finding a way to get back to the Bighorn Crags in Idaho. They're just so far away from anything that even though I'm on the west coast now it's still a 2 day trip to get there. About 10 years now since I've backpacked there, I'd like to find a way to do it next year...

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
I'm 6'2", broad shoulders and have to go with a large sleeping pad.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I don't think I could sleep in a hammock, because even on a foamie I need to put my stuffed pack under my knees as I sleep because I always wake up in pain if I don't because they bend backwards all night. Hypermobility is a bitch.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Hey hiking thread, I need some advice. A friend has asked me to do the Four Pass Loop with him the weekend of July 29.

It looks amazing and I think I want to give it a shot, but I have very little experience hiking (only day trips and car camping) and the "difficulty:strenuous" is seriously scaring me. I'm willing to train up for it- I'm in ok shape and I live in Chicago- but I don't really know where to begin or if it's even realistic to go for it.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

taco show posted:

Hey hiking thread, I need some advice. A friend has asked me to do the Four Pass Loop with him the weekend of July 29.

It looks amazing and I think I want to give it a shot, but I have very little experience hiking (only day trips and car camping) and the "difficulty:strenuous" is seriously scaring me. I'm willing to train up for it- I'm in ok shape and I live in Chicago- but I don't really know where to begin or if it's even realistic to go for it.

Looking at the elevation profile it will probably be strenuous, like it says, especially with a full pack. If you can find somewhere near Chicago where you can ascend 1km(3000 feet) in a hike, or even half that, with a full pack, you can test yourself. Not to mention you have a big ascent three times in that hike. Personally I think it's doable if you work out from now until then and you're able to take your time on the hike. If your pal is go go go then it's going to suck for you.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

taco show posted:

Ya, that looks like an rear end kicker of a hike, especially at that elevation. The only way to train for that type of hiking is to do that type of hiking though. Get out there and try out a similar elevation gain. Be aware of altitude sickness and know the symptoms. My brain was fuzzy for days after I climbed Whitney.

My usual "holy gently caress this is steep" is 1000 ft/mi. I can keep a steady pace going at 500 ft/mi and start to need breaks every so often any steeper than that. If you don't normally hike at that elevation, you will be sucking wind, heavily.

There's no need to be scared by the difficulty. Depending on how much time you are planning for the hike, it's totally doable. You don't have to do the whole thing in two days, or even three. Make sure you are well hydrated and keep your energy levels up and you should be good.

I'm guessing you're going to want to camp at low points, which means you're still camping around 10k-12k feet. I'm not sure what the weather will be like, but watch out for alpine sun and wind. Again, pay attention to your hydration. You might not realize how dehydrated you are if it's not too hot.

Also, I'm very envious. That trail looks awesome.

Tigren fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 15, 2016

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Tsyni posted:

Looking at the elevation profile it will probably be strenuous, like it says, especially with a full pack. If you can find somewhere near Chicago where you can ascend 1km(3000 feet) in a hike, or even half that, with a full pack, you can test yourself. Not to mention you have a big ascent three times in that hike. Personally I think it's doable if you work out from now until then and you're able to take your time on the hike. If your pal is go go go then it's going to suck for you.

You probably need to go a thousand miles from Chicago to find a 1k elevation hike.

Hit the stairmaster, then hit it again with a backpack. Keep hitting it until your trip.

SplitDestiny
Sep 25, 2004

HarryPurvis posted:

First time I went up Half Dome was on a Wednesday. We did a midnight start, got there at sunrise, and were the second group up the cables (although we didn't see the first group go up - they were on top when we arrived). Going mid-week makes accommodations much easier if you don't have a reservation. Just get there reasonably early, head to Camp 4 (bring cash) and you have a fairly good chance of snagging a spot.

What happened on past trips to make them disasters?

As for unicorns, mine is Mt Whitney. This summer I hope to finally bag it at the end of a High Sierra Trail trip.

Whitney is just as easy to bag a permit the morning of, especially if you don't try for Saturday. Just be there as soon as they open.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

taco show posted:

I will there a week or two after you, good luck. I am taking someone with little experience, we are counting on light gear and physical conditioning to get us through it.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Tigren posted:

My usual "holy gently caress this is steep" is 1000 ft/mi.

While not super high elevation wise, I am doing a day hike to Mt. Cammerer in the GSMNP tomorrow. It has an awful first 3 to 4 miles.

I run 3 miles about 3 to 4 times a week, but I am not looking forward to that climb. I actually took this week off from running so my legs would be fresh for it. That said it is worth it for views like this from the tower

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Apr 15, 2016

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Dammit, I had a 4 day trip to the Rae Lakes/Gardiner Basin area in Kings Canyon scheduled over Labor Day weekend and then some good friends of ours informed us they planned their wedding for that weekend. To be completely honest I'd rather go backpacking but oh well...it's frustrating because I need that to be a 4 day trip and having a holiday in there helps and if I want to reschedule it then I need to take even more days off, and the rescheduling times aren't the greatest either. I'm a big fat jerk but dammit weddings sure do take up a lot of drat time

SplitDestiny posted:

Whitney is just as easy to bag a permit the morning of, especially if you don't try for Saturday. Just be there as soon as they open.

For a 2 day permit I assume? Would not want to try up and back starting when the sun is already up...

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

taco show posted:

You have enough time to get in shape for it. First things first get some sand bags or kitty litter or something to use to weigh down your pack. During the week load your pack with whatever your trail weight will be and start walking around with it on for 60-90 minutes. On the weekend try and do a longer 3-4 hike with it on. Then graduate to more hills in your training. I like to fill my pack with about 50 pounds and do an hour on the stair master at the gym. NOT an elliptical or one of those weird stair climbers where your feet never lift the ground. Make sure its one that requires you to get your feet up off of the ground and reach forward for the next step.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

BaseballPCHiker posted:

get some sand bags or kitty litter or something to use to weigh down your pack.
Water is great for training weight, because if you decide you can't take it anymore, you can just dump it out.

taco show posted:

You should definitely go on the trip, you are going to love it. That will be a strenuous trip, but if you practice a little it will be fine. Make sure you have shoes that are up to the task and broken in. Don't get super heavy shoes, but they should have a hard enough sole that you don't feel all the sharp rocks underfoot. Be prepared for blisters (moleskin or tape).

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
From personal experience go on the trip. Not going because it's hard will keep you out of a lot of great places. Some of my favorites trips were the ones that pushed me harder than i imagined I could go. That said, do your best to prepare for it physically and just be in good shape.

SplitDestiny
Sep 25, 2004

Levitate posted:

Dammit, I had a 4 day trip to the Rae Lakes/Gardiner Basin area in Kings Canyon scheduled over Labor Day weekend and then some good friends of ours informed us they planned their wedding for that weekend. To be completely honest I'd rather go backpacking but oh well...it's frustrating because I need that to be a 4 day trip and having a holiday in there helps and if I want to reschedule it then I need to take even more days off, and the rescheduling times aren't the greatest either. I'm a big fat jerk but dammit weddings sure do take up a lot of drat time

For a 2 day permit I assume? Would not want to try up and back starting when the sun is already up...

Both. When I went with the wife, she wanted to acclimate more but you can get the permit at 8am (arrive earlier at like 6-7 on prime season) the day before for a day hike as well and just bum around town or acclimate up higher the day before. If you do the day hike, the protip is to leave at like midnight or so and summit for the sunrise.

Also walk in permits are free!

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
I can't claim those two-mile-high destinations, but here's a nice, flat 14.5mi 4300ft ascent hike:

Or give this fun a try at 14mi and 5800ft ascent, including deep snow leading to the first, and snow turning to slush on the second:

nate fisher posted:

While not super high elevation wise, I am doing a day hike to Mt. Cammerer in the GSMNP tomorrow. It has an awful first 3 to 4 miles.
Your running endurance should get you up that hill without trouble. It's only 3kft in five miles. You'll more likely be troubled by that total distance, especially if you're committed after mile five.

PhantomOfTheCopier fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 15, 2016

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

taco show posted:

It's fantastic, do it, bring a good camera. The "Strenuous" is just because passes are hard, but you can always just take a lot of rests the whole way up (which you probably will because of the elevation in CO). It's a full 3 days if you're hiking at a slower pace or taking a lot of rests to get up the passes, so keep in mind that you may get a late start on day 1 from Aspen, especially if you're taking the shuttle to the trailhead (even more so if you're travelling to Aspen that morning). There are a crazy number of people the first 4 or 5 miles from the trailhead, but after that it thins out substantially. General CO warning: brief summer rainshowers in the afternoon are expected, generally with lightning. Don't be on a pass during this time, plan accordingly, they'll pass by early evening. If you get a heavy nighttime downpour, the regular campsites there will flood, guaranteed.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Well I'm still hoping to hike a portion of the Maine part of the Appalacian trail, but I didn't get approved for the 3 weeks vacation I'd realistically need, just 2 weeks and that will include transit time, so I may need to either just do the 100 mile wilderness portion or just bust my rear end as best I can and see how far I can get in the like 11-12 days I'm realistically going to get.

I tested out my bum knee and questionable back on moderate hike yesterday; 27km (16 miles) overall, up Mt. Takao (599m) and across a few neighboring peaks to Mt. Jinba (855m) then down.

Was just a test so I only took about 10kg of weight overall, but I feel completely fine, almost no soreness, back and knee feel good to go. If I had the daylight I probably could have done the same thing again.

Planning on doing another hike with 20kg this weekend, then for the Golden Week holiday in early May I'm thinking I'll try Yasugatake and see how that goes.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I've decided I want to do an Appalachian Trail thru hike next year because gently caress it why not? My 60 year old mom is totally on board and if I take her with me she will bankroll it. Well okay then...

She use to be super outdoorsy when she was growing up and really wants to do this before she is too old and her knees give out. Really hope this goes through and I act as a good motivation for her to just do it.

George H.W. Cunt fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I'm new to hiking and camping and plan on doing a lot this summer in the Rockies, could I get some recommendations on some good multipurpose gear? Tent, sleeping bag, pad, backpack and any other essentials.

Probably do lots of weekend trips but would like to do a couple longer ones and plan on bike packing the Colorado Trail at some point