Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
You can also look up rental laws for your city, a lot of cities in California have serious tenant protection laws

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
I lived in LA for five years, so going off of that: if you haven't heard anything at this point, you'll be moving to a month-to-month. If you're perfect tenants, they probably don't want you out (unless they drastically raise the rent, which they would have told you by now). If you really like your building and want to make sure you stay there, you can ask your landlord to renew the lease.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Cheesegod posted:

Basically my whole life, I've lived in the NYC area either in NJ or NY. In the past, when my lease was going to be up, I would get a lease renewal form in the mail usually 60 days before the end of the lease (and usually with a rent increase) and would have ample time to decide to sign it, negotiate the new rent, or tell them no thanks and find a new place.

Last year, I moved to California. I just realized it's a little over 1 month before my year long lease is up and I haven't gotten a lease renewal yet. I looked over my lease and there is nothing in there about when or if I will receive a lease renewal. The only thing it says is once the lease is up, it will go into a month to month lease. A quick google search is telling me that landlords in California do not have to give a lease renewal or notify the tenants ahead of time if they do not want to renew their lease.

I like my apartment, building and neighborhood, and after moving across the country and dealing with that stress, I don't want to have to move again so soon. I'm also starting a new job next month and that's stressful enough already. I also like my landlords, they're very nice and we've had 0 issues with them. We've been perfect tenants: kept the place spotless, friendly with our neighbors, always on time with rent, etc.

Does anyone here have any experience with lease renewals in California? Is what I'm reading on Google correct? If so, do I need to ask them for a lease renewal? Do I just wait it out? Help!

They dont need to renew the lease because its basically indefinite until either of you want out. If they want you out they need to give you notice that they are terminating the lease.

When they want to raise the rent they will just send notice that they are changing the terms of tenancy starting on X (should be a month or two ahead of time) and if you dont agree you terminate the lease. Or try negotiating.

KoB fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 28, 2016

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Cheesegod posted:

Does anyone here have any experience with lease renewals in California? Is what I'm reading on Google correct? If so, do I need to ask them for a lease renewal? Do I just wait it out? Help!
After the lease is up, your lease turns to a periodic agreement. If you're paying rent monthly, it's a month-to-month agreement. Either you or your landlord can give 30 days notice and move on. This is pretty common, and usually means you're both relatively happy.

After that, your landlord can (at any time) increase rent. This may or may not come with a new lease, or it can just be month-to-month still.

After some period of time (2 years?) your landlord must give 60 days notice to increase rent or end the agreement. You also get more rights after that period of time, i.e. they can't end the agreement for no reason, there are a limited number of reasons they can end the agreement. You still can end with 30 days notice for no reason/any reason.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Does any goon have recommendations for budget computer desks? I was looking at IKEA's Bekant desk, but I don't want to spend that much. A friend suggested folding tables, but I dunno if the height of these desks would fit me.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Most of my budget furniture came from shady small local discount furniture stores. The kind where I wouldn't recommend you let them swipe your credit card, and they want you paying cash anyway so they can lie on their taxes. The closest they come to delivery is helping you haul it into the back of your car.

I got a really solid computer desk from one of those place for $200 (talked him down from $250). The thing is built like a tank and it's going to survive the heat death of the universe. I love it, and it's far better than anything I saw at Ikea or Bob's.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
If you want a really cheap desk, two sawhorses and a solid-core door are where it's at. Only joking a little.

The slightly more upscale version is two filing cabinets the same height (your preferred height), a door, and a piece of glass cut to the size of the door. Giant, glass top desk with drawers.

For large, solid/non upholstered furniture, Craigslist is going to be the cheapest place to buy. Desks are heavy and bulky, so they're marked down a lot when people move.
edit: oh man I shouldn't have looked. There's a beat-up midcentury modern desk for $15 two towns away. This is going to haunt me - I don't need a desk!

vonnegutt fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Apr 4, 2016

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Thanks for the recs! I'm going to give Craigslist a serious try, but I've definitely got to figure out transportation. I don't have a car yet, so I'll probably just do UberX or something like that.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

vonnegutt posted:

The slightly more upscale version is two filing cabinets the same height (your preferred height), a door, and a piece of glass cut to the size of the door. Giant, glass top desk with drawers.

I don't know why people seem to like glass tables, they're impossible to fix if they get chipped or scratched and can possibly shatter if mistreated accidentally. It also usually hurts way more when you bump the corner with your legs or hips.

I get that you're recommending a piece of glass on top of a door which mitigates a lot of it, but why not just get a wooden surface instead? Worst case, go get one of the table tops from Ikea or something.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

isndl posted:

I don't know why people seem to like glass tables, they're impossible to fix if they get chipped or scratched and can possibly shatter if mistreated accidentally. It also usually hurts way more when you bump the corner with your legs or hips.

I get that you're recommending a piece of glass on top of a door which mitigates a lot of it, but why not just get a wooden surface instead? Worst case, go get one of the table tops from Ikea or something.

Glass is easy to clean and non-porous, so you can set cups on it without a coaster and not worry about rings or permanent damage.

I personally prefer metal furniture for this reason. Our coffee table is a PS IKEA metal table with casters and it's the best, especially since we end up eating dinner at it most nights.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Couldn't you just throw a good sealant on the wood? We don't use coasters and I have two kids, and a wooden table with a couple coats of sealant seems to be just fine.

How much do you pay for a giant sheet of glass? I would have guessed it would be pricey but I actually have no idea.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

For used furniture transportation, check out Home Depot. They rent trucks and small vans by the hour for like $25.

Made my dining set purchase from Craigslist super easy to move for far less than a full day rental.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

rngd in the womb posted:

Does any goon have recommendations for budget computer desks? I was looking at IKEA's Bekant desk, but I don't want to spend that much. A friend suggested folding tables, but I dunno if the height of these desks would fit me.

This is my desk. It is not fancy or anything, but it is an L-desk with an adjustable side, and it holds two monitors without a problem. It has held up for two and a half years, through a move. Good keyboard tray, too, but if you have a good-sized keyboard, it doesn't really have room for your mouse. It is well worth the $110.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
A place I'm looking at had a reservation fee that will be rolled into either the deposit or first months rent. It was not clear which in the ad. What kind of form is normally signed to make sure I'm not just giving a stranger money in case the landlord doesn't end up giving me the lease? I'm in California if you have specific knowledge.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

BadSamaritan posted:

For used furniture transportation, check out Home Depot. They rent trucks and small vans by the hour for like $25.

Made my dining set purchase from Craigslist super easy to move for far less than a full day rental.
It is virtually impossible to get the truck, get to the location you're purchasing the item from, load the item, get to your house, unload the item, and get back to Home Depot in one hour, which means you're at two hours, which means $50, and for $50 (usually less) you can rent a U-Haul truck for 24 hours and not have to be in a maniacal rush.

This is a different story when you're purchasing something from Home Depot, where some of those steps are removed. Then, it's a pretty good deal.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
If you're in a major metro area, I've heard good things about the Dolly app. It's basically renting a friend with a pick-up.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Spikes32 posted:

A place I'm looking at had a reservation fee that will be rolled into either the deposit or first months rent. It was not clear which in the ad. What kind of form is normally signed to make sure I'm not just giving a stranger money in case the landlord doesn't end up giving me the lease? I'm in California if you have specific knowledge.
The places I've rented had that as part of the "these are all your wonderful fees" paperwork you sign. It should include specifics of what's due when & what you get back if your application is rejected.

(Disclaimer: Experience is from Wisconsin & Illinois and not California)

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Spikes32 posted:

It's to make sure you don't walk away during the time between the time you sign the lease and the time you move in. It's sometimes (usually?) called a "holding fee", so we charge an amount (coincidentally the exact same amount as the first month's rent) as a fee to hold the apartment. At the end of the holding period, it is converted to rent money or deposit. If you bolt, they keep the holding fee.

The paperwork you sign should be clear and straightforward about what happens to the fee (a) if you do move in, (b) if you don't move in.

Also, the standard disclaimer about the "possession is 9/10ths of the law" axiom - be sure about what you're doing before you write that check. Regardless of what the contract says, it may be difficult to pry that money back out of them in a timely manner if things go south.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Thanks for the answers. I'll be sure to get a receipt for whatever I sign away.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

potatoducks fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jan 16, 2017

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
When money is no object, finding someone to do work is never a problem.

You will pay more than your stuff is worth to sell and re-buy. If that's not a problem, move-on.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
That's true. I guess it was sort of a dumb question. I'll just call up a few companies.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Generally most companies just have some sort of minimum charge to make it worthwhile. Like most local movers will charge you for two hours, even if they can do your job in 30 minutes, because they have a floor on what is worth getting out of bed for. So you'd probably be looking at something like that for the actual pickup/dropoff, and then possibly a per-foot charge for having it driven in a truck.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

potatoducks posted:

I'm moving from a studio apartment to another studio apartment approximately 300 miles away. I don't have much stuff I want to take with me, really just a bed, a desktop computer, an office chair, and a few pots and pans.

Will movers handle such a small move? Price is no object since I have a moving allowance that will more than cover everything. If they have a minimum price, that's fine. I don't want to do it myself, especially since I'm on the second floor and the bed would be difficult. I also need a real receipt so I can't just grab some people off of craigslist.

I moved halfway across the country with about that much stuff, I used ABF U-Pack since they only charge per trailer foot (I think I used all of 7 feet). It wasn't a problem and I think the movers appreciated having an easy load for once.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

What sites other than craigslist would anyone recommend to find rooms for rent, particular short-term or sublets? Are there decent city-specific sites for this out there?

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
AirBNB

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
I used a local subreddit to find a place once, and got a decent amount of options. It's worth a shot.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

So I have a plumbing issue in my apartment. It may take a few days to be fixed. Now, here's my question. I have renters insurance, they should cover me for a place to stay if necessary, correct? (I cannot use the sink/toilet/shower/etc at all) Is it a big deal to put a claim through? Are there negatives to doing so? I have a friends place I can stay at if necessary, but obviously it wouldn't be ideal living conditions. I'm just not sure if it's worth putting the claim in if I don't necessarily have to. Thoughts?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I would count on your landlord to put you up while your apartment is uninhabitable. Your renter's insurance will want to know why your landlord didn't.

The second phone call would be to the renter's insurance to ask the same question.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

RCarr posted:

So I have a plumbing issue in my apartment. It may take a few days to be fixed. Now, here's my question. I have renters insurance, they should cover me for a place to stay if necessary, correct? (I cannot use the sink/toilet/shower/etc at all) Is it a big deal to put a claim through? Are there negatives to doing so? I have a friends place I can stay at if necessary, but obviously it wouldn't be ideal living conditions. I'm just not sure if it's worth putting the claim in if I don't necessarily have to. Thoughts?

If you don't have plumbing, that's a health and safety issue and the landlord should put you up somewhere. You would continue to pay rent, they pay for you to stay elsewhere.

Stool Sample
Nov 8, 2006

EVERYONE Poops!?

Lipstick Apathy
This may be slightly off topic (if so let me know where to repost my questions and such) :
I'm a new graduate attending grad school in the fall. I was living with family during undergrad (so no dorm situation) and have moved back in with my parents (who are in the same state as the grad school but too far to commute) I have about $1400 saved up for whatever living situation I may find myself in and am attending grad school on loans (I will be applying to teaching positions and grants once I'm better established in the program, and I'm the first alternate for a scholarship though I don't know how much it would cover.) My question is, what should I do for housing during grad school? I have emailed the campus housing for ideas but they haven't gotten back to me, and while dorms could be cheaper in the long run they aren't open year round. I'm a goony-goon who has never had to find a place for myself (and am of course, slightly terrified), but I'm cool with the idea of getting roommates and having another bus commute if needed.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

You rent an apartment with your loans.

Stool Sample
Nov 8, 2006

EVERYONE Poops!?

Lipstick Apathy

IRQ posted:

You rent an apartment with your loans.

Fair enough. I guess I'll wait for them to get dispersed but poke around on the internet looking at living spaces until then.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Stool Sample posted:

Fair enough. I guess I'll wait for them to get dispersed but poke around on the internet looking at living spaces until then.

I mean, I don't know your situation, but for law school the loans just included living expenses (I was able to just keep staying in my then-current 1BR). It was all government, no private loans. It will probably be easier for you if you can find a way to move into a place before you start school, but that could be extremely tight if you need to wait on loan disbursement. If you live somewhere that $1400 can get you in a place for a month that's certainly what you should do, which should be very doable if you're willing to have room mates.

Stool Sample
Nov 8, 2006

EVERYONE Poops!?

Lipstick Apathy

IRQ posted:

I mean, I don't know your situation, but for law school the loans just included living expenses (I was able to just keep staying in my then-current 1BR). It was all government, no private loans. It will probably be easier for you if you can find a way to move into a place before you start school, but that could be extremely tight if you need to wait on loan disbursement. If you live somewhere that $1400 can get you in a place for a month that's certainly what you should do, which should be very doable if you're willing to have room mates.

The town the school is in seems to have rents varying from 450-1000+ a month. It would enable me to get into a place for at least a month, but I'm debating on staying with my parents over the summer and working part time to build up my savings before the disbursement (which are gov not private, also.) If I had a job waiting for me up there I'd be more comfortable with the idea of going right now. maybe when the school year ends and people are moving out I may have some luck finding a nice (well, liveable) place with roommates? Classes begin late September so I have some time to make more money.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
How did you get to grad school without figuring at least the theoretical part of this out?

-look for a room for rent in an established household

-don't room with undergrads, look for the "young professionals and graduate students" postings, unless you are a mess of a human/alcoholic

-once you have moved in and established yourself, look for an affordable solo apartment. don't move blind to a new city without understanding the transit or bad neighborhoods. Pay a little extra to room with someone accessible to campus.

-don't forget that utilities exist and having a roommate halves those costs too

-for people living with roommates for the first time I suggest a 3 person arrangement max. Every new personal exponentially increases drama potential.

- don't share a room unless you will otherwise be homeless

- keep your loans minimal!!! Don't take out more loans to live alone in a $1300/month place when a $600 studio will do - grad students are meant to live lovely lives, your life will improve once the money comes in post grad.

-apply for all RA/TA/funded positions you possibly can. Unless this is a professional masters or a professional doctorate (MD/JD) you shouldn't pay out of pocket to become an academic

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
Crosspost from the NYC thread: did anyone here who needed to use guarantors to rent an apartment in NYC have retired parents? My folks have great credit history and plenty in assets (well above the 80x the rent threshold) but are old and their only income is social security. Trying to see if anyone knows any success stories with that scenario or whether I should expect to get laughed out of the landlord's office when I meet with them.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

OSheaman posted:

Crosspost from the NYC thread: did anyone here who needed to use guarantors to rent an apartment in NYC have retired parents? My folks have great credit history and plenty in assets (well above the 80x the rent threshold) but are old and their only income is social security. Trying to see if anyone knows any success stories with that scenario or whether I should expect to get laughed out of the landlord's office when I meet with them.

It really depends on the management company. I had one demand I use a third-party rental guarantor (like Insurent) even though my parents had way more than enough income. Another saw their assets and were fine with it. The key is just to have all your paperwork ready.

edit: If you are going through a broker they should be able to steer your in the right direction.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
Thanks! I hate apartment hunting in this dumb city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
So I'm looking at an apartment with electric heat and appliances. I'd like to get an idea of annual costs for total electric for the past year.

If the property owner doesn't want to give that info, can I contact the electric company directly and get a report or is that illegal?