Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

goldenoreos posted:

An extra zero makes all the difference honestly to non comic readers. I ran a comic club for a while and that was honestly one of the things that kept newer readers confused. There really is no added benefit in the long run for going back to the numbering since the beginning system.

The benefit is they can do some big publicity thing when it hits 1000, obviously.

I've never had the problem you're having, either when I was getting into comics or reccing them to others. I generally had more problems talking to people about how screwy DC's definition of "volumes" are when we get these weird situations with volumes representing huge eras or smaller collections. Now that's some asinine poo poo. A hundreds digit's simple as gently caress. Asking someone to look up Flash volume 2 or Green Lantern volume 3 is gonna turn up like 10 different conflicting results.

If they can't understand that comics have existed for a really long time and you're recommending them newer ones then that's a shame. Both for you and their comprehension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Anything is still easier than explaining the numbering on Jonathan Hickman's Fantastic Four.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Rhyno posted:

Or you can say "Read these two graphic novels DC has published containing everything you'll need to know."

I like to text people Amazon links.

Renumbering is mildly annoying, but it's not nearly as bothersome as people try to make it sound.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Apr 20, 2016

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

Two Tone Shoes posted:

The benefit is they can do some big publicity thing when it hits 1000, obviously.

I've never had the problem you're having, either when I was getting into comics or reccing them to others. I generally had more problems talking to people about how screwy DC's definition of "volumes" are when we get these weird situations with volumes representing huge eras or smaller collections. Now that's some asinine poo poo. A hundreds digit's simple as gently caress. Asking someone to look up Flash volume 2 or Green Lantern volume 3 is gonna turn up like 10 different conflicting results.

If they can't understand that comics have existed for a really long time and you're recommending them newer ones then that's a shame. Both for you and their comprehension.

You can honestly do a 1000 special without having to renumber like an annual or even with a basic issue (Captain Marvel #10 from this year comes to mind.)

Honestly volume recommendation worked out for me when I mentioned the team that worked on them (Swamp Thing by Moore vs by Snyder). But yeah there are moments when they get trickier than they need to be (looking at you Hickman avengers)

Again they know that comics have existed for awhile, it's just needlessly daunting is my point.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

How was Morrison and Millar's Flash run? That collection that just came out is looking quite tempting.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Die Laughing posted:

How was Morrison and Millar's Flash run? That collection that just came out is looking quite tempting.

Pretty good. Though I'd suggest reading Waid's first run before hand if you could.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

No mason-jar-full-of-urine accessory = no sale.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Make your own, my friend.

e: I could write up the instructable.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

That comes with the Holly Hunter action figure

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Squizzle posted:

Make your own, my friend.

e: I could write up the instructable.

Already done.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Pretty good. Though I'd suggest reading Waid's first run before hand if you could.

Good thing it's fully available in trade paperback!

Oh wait.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Good thing it's fully available in trade paperback!

Oh wait.

Funny thing is they're going to start reprinting it in September. If only they'd swap the orders and we'd get Waid's run being reprinted THEN Morrison's.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I never would have imagined ever saying this a few months ago, but who at DC do we have to kidnap and force to give Max Landis a monthly Clark Kent comic for Rebirth? I don't even need any Superman in it. American Alien is just too good to be a limited series.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
Seriously. Landis and a loving stellar group of artists really created something special with American Alien.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You probably have to get him to stop writing screenplays (which he might do to himself before too long.)
Hopefully he at least pops in every year to do a miniseries.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Do I need to know anything before reading The Omega Men?

I know what a white lantern is, for what its worth.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Nah.
Read the sneak peek first, though.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

I know I'm a few years late on this, but does this fit with the kind of stuff Scott Lobdell writes? I was really put off by his version of Starfire, and it's hard to not make a connection if it's true:

http://www.xojane.com/it-happened-to-me/marinaomi-harassed-comics-panel

http://www.themarysue.com/scot-lobdell-sexual-harassment/

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

All I know is DC needs to stop giving him work. Keeping Redhood going should be a criminal offense.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Picklepuss posted:

I know I'm a few years late on this, but does this fit with the kind of stuff Scott Lobdell writes? I was really put off by his version of Starfire, and it's hard to not make a connection if it's true:

http://www.xojane.com/it-happened-to-me/marinaomi-harassed-comics-panel

http://www.themarysue.com/scot-lobdell-sexual-harassment/

I guess not firing sexual harassers is a proud DC tradition.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

I guess not firing sexual harassers is a proud DC tradition.

People make mistakes. The dude apologized. I don't think his life should be destroyed for it.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How would his life be destroyed?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Sexual harassment is just a mistake, lol.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Norns posted:

People make mistakes. The dude apologized. I don't think his life should be destroyed for it.

Oh for gently caress's sake.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
This reminds me of when a famous sports person is accused of rape and all the reporters talk about is the fact he was able to overcome adversity.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
Won't someone think of the poor innocent sexual assaulters and rapists?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

This reminds me of when a famous sports person is accused of rape

It probably shouldn't :/

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

It probably shouldn't :/

Yeah it's a little rude to sports people as they don't have that much power individually.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Comics are up.
Time to read the last Snyder/Capullo BeeMan *sniff*

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Teenage Fansub posted:

Comics are up.
Time to read the last Snyder/Capullo BeeMan *sniff*

It was real nice quiet issue.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think the hideous Batman/TMNT batmobile influenced this new one.

I like the Burton longness of it, but who's asking for ant faces on the fronts of these things.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Yeah, probably my least favorite Batmobile of memory.

BATMAN/TMNT is real fun though.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

HR Giger's Mantismobile

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Chinaman7000 posted:

HR Giger's Mantismobile
Makes sense, Giger was hired to redesign the Batmobile for Batman Forever...

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Have we seen Capullo draw the batmobile in any other issue?

I'm really struggling to think of any time we did see it.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Veg posted:

Have we seen Capullo draw the batmobile in any other issue?

I'm really struggling to think of any time we did see it.

The only thing I can remember is the tight rear end Batmobile from Zero Year with the anti grav tires.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
God, Darkseid War is such a steaming pile of poo poo.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Mmm hmm.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

God, Darkseid War is such a steaming pile of poo poo.

broken clock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Did they not stick the landing? People seemed pretty keen on it.