Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

After having spent a few hours building my base and shooting pirates/aliens the ship combat in Halcyon 6 is really fun. The ground combat is somewhat similar but even more limited as it was only added in the last release. The whole vulnerabilities and exploits makes the combat more than just pick the strongest attack to pew pew the enemy ships, it help; the graphic and sound are good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Better than a gif for combat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWkO7HJW4jM

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Geokinesis posted:

Halcyon 6 is heading into Early Access this month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQl1WzKeyTM

Anyone else back this?

Got my steam key. It's not bad, but the difficulty is cranked up a bit. It definitely forces you to make some pretty hard choices already.

Played the Early Access on this. Is quite good.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Dex devs are trying to kickstart their first person horror Ghost Theory again.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

kinkouin posted:

Got my steam key. It's not bad, but the difficulty is cranked up a bit. It definitely forces you to make some pretty hard choices already.

Did you play the 0.0.2.2 update as it was harder in the previous version and it has been toned down (somewhat) since.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Shovel Knight devs put up a big new article to celebrate a million digital units sold: http://yachtclubgames.com/2016/04/feat-unlocked-one-million-copies-of-shovel-knight-sold/

I thought this thread would want to see their breakdown of the first stretch goal update they released this year:

quote:

Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows

When we set out to make our first expansion for Shovel Knight, Plague of Shadows, we knew that we’d be putting it out for free. We really wanted to make a great campaign that felt new and exciting, and would draw new players in! We also wanted to make players of the original game feel like they got their money’s worth, in the hopes of keeping our reputation as sterling as possible. For instance, many players feel great about supporting Blizzard because they know that every Blizzard game will be updated and improved for many years in the future (in fact, a new patch for the 16 year old Diablo II was just released!). Our plan was ambitious… but could we make it work?

You may remember our magic formula for how to simply calculate game production costs. Plague of Shadows was no exception – we went all out in its development just as if we were starting on a new game. We had 8 people full time on the project for about a year – meaning we effectively spent roughly a million dollars creating FREE update content for the game. Is that ridiculous?! Yes, most definitely. Was it worth it? We think so! We really love what we created and we think the fans who gave it a shot did too. That said, by traditional publishing standards, it would probably be perceived as a catastrophic failure!

Here are some facts about it:

-We spent about 1 million dollars developing Plague of Shadows over the course of a year.

-We made zero dollars selling Plague of Shadows. Whoops!

-Development started in July 2014 with the target release date of Q2 2015. The update was released in September 2015. Boy, did we go late!

-Plague of Shadows started as the Kickstarter Stretch Goal “New Playable Boss Knight” at the $115k funding goal. It also included the Stretch Goal “Challenge Mode” reached at the $180k Stretch Goal. By people using ‘Kickstarter math’, that means we should have spent $35,000 developing the content.

-Some members of the team were involved with multiple projects at the same time as needed. Bug fixing, new language support, new regions, new features, and submissions on different platforms. Overall, we estimate these additions took less than 2-3 months of the team’s time.

-6% of players completed Plague of Shadows on Steam. This means roughly 20% of the people that beat Shovel Knight also continued on to finish Plague of Shadows.

-Metacritic has 4 or less reviews listed per platform for Plague of Shadows as opposed to 46 for the Shovel Knight base game. Plague of Shadows scored an 89, 4 points higher than Shovel Knight! Our thanks to websites who chose to cover Plague of Shadows as an entire new release, reviewing it, or featuring it at the end of the year.

-There was a small increase in sales on the month Plague of Shadows was released, but in general, it appears to not have directly increased sales. But of course, it’s hard to say if Plague of Shadows is actually helping keep the game selling at its current rate as opposed to dipping since, as we mentioned above, sales are remaining strong.

-On some storefronts and systems, you might not even know Plague of Shadows exists! There are plenty of hooks out there to promote sales, DLC, and re-releases…but it can be unexpectedly challenging to promote free updates to a base game.

-We’ve received a surprising number of requests from people begging us to let them give us money for Plague of Shadows that we’ve now setup a cool donation button on our site. Don’t worry though, you can actually download some pretty cool art with it too! Picking up official merchandise is also a great way to show support and get something rad! If you’re interested in other ways to support the game, anything from telling a friend, writing up your honest impressions on Steam, or a star rating on Amazon goes along way to help!

After hearing all that, you might be thinking…”Wait. you weren’t kidding! Isn’t Yacht Club currently developing two more campaigns just like Plague of Shadows!?”. The answer is…yes! From the very beginning, way back when in Kickstarter land, we’ve always done our best to scale up Shovel Knight to exceed the amazing level of support the game has received and we plan to continue doing so with the major game updates too. In the end, we just want to make great content for our fans. We hope that everyone tries Plague of Shadows sometime and sees how much love we squeezed into every pixel! Seriously, go play it. Next time we do a sales article, we want to see Plague of Shadows higher than 6%!!

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Mr Underhill posted:

Say what you want, but Adolph Christ is one head turnin' tilte. It's a book/storyboard about a video game. God bless.

His acknowledgements page for his book is hilarious:

quote:

I would like to thank:
Everyone for dealing with my ups and downs while writing this book. I'm a natural artist and have 216 hobbies. Constantly searching for creative ways to express myself. I find I am never happy with anything upon completion. My wife came home one night and I was burning all my oil paintings in a giant fire in the backyard. I even hate this book now that I am done writing it, despite the praise [i] have received.

He has a lowercase i after using I correctly like 9 times in the acknowledgements, so you know he's a master proofreader.

Humbly petition for new thread title to be:
Kickstart Gaming - I'm a natural artist and have 216 hobbies.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The Shovel Knight devs put up a big new article to celebrate a million digital units sold: http://yachtclubgames.com/2016/04/feat-unlocked-one-million-copies-of-shovel-knight-sold/

I thought this thread would want to see their breakdown of the first stretch goal update they released this year:

That's interesting but a little sad considering how good it is.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

I honestly wish they'd move onto a new project instead of spending millions of dollars on free content. It'd kind of suck if their next game flopped and it bankrupted them because they decided to spend a lot of time and money releasing quality free content that not a lot of people were playing.

Then again, doing so would entail a lot "kill indie game devs" sentiment to deal with.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Apr 15, 2016

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Sigma-X posted:

His acknowledgements page for his book is hilarious:

He has a lowercase i after using I correctly like 9 times in the acknowledgements, so you know he's a master proofreader.

Humbly petition for new thread title to be:
Kickstart Gaming - I'm a natural artist and have 216 hobbies.

There's a subreddit for this kind of thing. It's called iamverysmart.

I read the million dollar figure for shovel knight and I just assumed most of that money was spent on pimping out the office and inflated salaries. They'll probably continue to find creative ways of putting that money into the devs hands and then close down.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The million dollars figure is just them paying 8 people $10k a month for a year, I don't think there's anything suspect about that budget.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Sivek posted:

I honestly wish they'd move onto a new project instead of spending millions of dollars on free content. It'd kind of suck if their next game flopped and it bankrupted them because they decided to spend a lot of time and money releasing quality free content that not a lot of people were playing.

Then again, doing so would entail a lot "kill indie game devs" sentiment to deal with.

Danger there, though, is pissing off your fan base by not doing the stretch goals that were promised after they were met. Might sour some people into buying a future game.

Note I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong in how you feel but it's a bunch of pros and cons there.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Zaa Boogie posted:

Danger there, though, is pissing off your fan base by not doing the stretch goals that were promised after they were met. Might sour some people into buying a future game.

Note I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong in how you feel but it's a bunch of pros and cons there.

Nah, I get it, but I'd rather see them do something new and get paid for it rather than releasing more Shovel Knight stuff over the next two years or so with the hope of a long tail of sales sustaining them. Crowdfunding stretch goals are stupid and I hate them.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

The million dollars figure is just them paying 8 people $10k a month for a year, I don't think there's anything suspect about that budget.

Yeah. And not even that; the general rule of thumb is that the cost to a business of an employee is their salary + 30%. So for 8 people, a million bucks will allow you to pay them each $8k per month.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Sivek posted:

Nah, I get it, but I'd rather see them do something new and get paid for it rather than releasing more Shovel Knight stuff over the next two years or so with the hope of a long tail of sales sustaining them. Crowdfunding stretch goals are stupid and I hate them.
They've stated that they're not doing the other alternate playable characters to the same level of detail and such as plague knight. They won't have full campaigns like he did so it shouldn't take as long.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Looking at the global achievement stats of a game on Steam often gives a pretty humbling account of how few people beat the games they buy. The last game I "finished" (Blazblue CS) had around 5% do the basic story completion. And that's just the bare bones "got the true ending". Granted, that's a game with more multiplayer pull, but 6% for Plague of Shadows isn't shocking to me. Of course, a lot of that is just Steam game list bloat with people not playing what they buy, but even those that do rarely finish the game.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Apr 15, 2016

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Plague of Shadows is HARD. At least it is if you intend to get every treasure chest. So yeah, I'll probably never beat it either.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Once I got the bomb component that lets you float slowly down PoS became a lot easier for me. I think I used that throughout the rest of the game without ever changing it out.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I couldn't get past Plague Knight in the regular game after dozens of attempts. Everything before that was great and Shovel Knight is great but I'm probably not going to try it again for a long while.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I have more than a thousand games in my library. I beat 33 of them, and not all 100%.

I also had some issues stopping me from playing games for a long while (though not buying them!), and just recently I've managed to start playing a bit reliably again.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Nate RFB posted:

Once I got the bomb component that lets you float slowly down PoS became a lot easier for me. I think I used that throughout the rest of the game without ever changing it out.

That thing messed with me really hard since I liked to chain bursts and you can't charge a burst while floating down. I never touched it again after I figured out what was going on. I used the one that shot a bullet up until I could get the one that was straight up a screw attack.

After I finished Plague of Shadows I only replayed it to do low% speedruns. Plague Knight's huge arsenal is fun but I like the game a lot better if I never go into a menu.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Is anyone else getting "503 connection timed out" errors on Kickstarter? I thought it was just me but I don't think it's the case anymore.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Mr Underhill posted:

Is anyone else getting "503 connection timed out" errors on Kickstarter? I thought it was just me but I don't think it's the case anymore.

Was happening to me earlier but seems to be working now.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
We got greenlit on Steam in 10 days after hovering around the 33rd position in the top 100. That's good.

The week-end is coming. People are preparing to go out and party. I'm running a Kickstarter. gently caress weekends. gently caress them forever.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Kibayasu posted:

I couldn't get past Plague Knight in the regular game after dozens of attempts. Everything before that was great and Shovel Knight is great but I'm probably not going to try it again for a long while.
Sounds like someone needs to learn to abuse the chaos orb.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

For those who are eligible, backer keys for Banner Saga 2 are going out today. Looking forward to carrying my poor decisions from the first game forward.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Geokinesis posted:

Did you play the 0.0.2.2 update as it was harder in the previous version and it has been toned down (somewhat) since.

Yeah, it was the whole :goatse: level difficulty, I'll try it again.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

kinkouin posted:

Yeah, it was the whole :goatse: level difficulty, I'll try it again.

I think they have tweaked it even more now with version 0.0.3.0.

Although if you fight the Chruul at earth the don't fight them the third time till you have higher tier ships. They haven't added a warning in for the massive difficulty spike for that battle yet.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Gibbous is more thah halfway there with 2 weeks left to go. We recently broke 1000 backers, and are super excited to be teaming up with Don Thacker of Starr Mazer - he'll be voicing our very own Don R. Ketype. Aaaand the Gibbous / Starr Mazer crossover is now official. SO excited, and Don is an awesome dude! More on that in our 3rd update.

E: Oh and just got some kind words from the excellent Ben Chandler, and that means a lot to me!

Mr Underhill fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Apr 20, 2016

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
yay woo fist pump

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Throwing my hat in here--my studio (Studio Wumpus) is launching our first Kickstarter for our real time digital board game, Sumer. This really is utterly terrifying, but also super exciting. Wish us luck!

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

OtspIII posted:

Throwing my hat in here--my studio (Studio Wumpus) is launching our first Kickstarter for our real time digital board game, Sumer. This really is utterly terrifying, but also super exciting. Wish us luck!

I like the look of that. I will back and wish you luck for selfish reasons (ie I want the game).

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

OtspIII posted:

Looks solid and I'm digging the art direction. Kicked a little your way, good luck!

E: In The Shadows is a game I've been watching on TigSource since 2014, and it's now on Kickstarter. Yeah, I know plenty of similar games have appeared in the meantime, but for some reason this one really stuck out for me, I love its color scheme and the way it uses lighting.

Mr Underhill fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 20, 2016

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
Creepy Castle after going far over its estimated date of delivery (to be expected) with very sparse updates has announced they'll be partnering with Nicalis. I guess they'll be helping with development. The Kickstarter claims they'll now have a Summer release this year.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Why would they partner with a bunch of dudes who aren't game devs

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
nicalis has a long track record of hindering development and introducing massive bugs into ports, when they don't simply erase a game entirely like they tried to do with la mulana. the only reason the west ever saw that remake was playism stepping in with a miraculous eleventh hour intervention that salvaged the game, and that was with them putting together their own translation in about a tenth the time nicalis had invested into it before trying to pull the plug

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
binding of isaac rebirth released on pc, ps4, and playstation vita. the expansion pack afterbirth has only released on pc, because nicalis did the console ports and made such a catastrophic mess of optimizing them that the expansion pack can't run on either platform. it has now been seven months since the expansion pack released, and it seems safe to say that, as with all other times nicalis has been confronted with their failures as human beings, they've decided to give up and fleece someone else instead

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

90s Arcade Racer is in nicalis limbo at the moment. Updates are very few and far between and usually say something like "it's nearly there but we've totally gotta rewrite the physics for driving" so I'm not super hopeful.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
I had no idea they were so maligned. Well, I wasn't terribly convinced Creepy Castle was going to come out at all, so I'm not too disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

DolphinCop posted:

binding of isaac rebirth released on pc, ps4, and playstation vita. the expansion pack afterbirth has only released on pc, because nicalis did the console ports and made such a catastrophic mess of optimizing them that the expansion pack can't run on either platform. it has now been seven months since the expansion pack released, and it seems safe to say that, as with all other times nicalis has been confronted with their failures as human beings, they've decided to give up and fleece someone else instead

They actually announced Afterbirth for PS4/XB1 today! Vita and 3DS are SOL. Nicalis are poo poo.