Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Amazing plan by ScoMo and Turnball. Get the Banks to PAY the regulator their costs. I can't image how that wouldn't corrupt it. Why, what could happen if the Banks get...gasp, fined! They'd have less money for the regulator! We could never have THAT happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Imagine having your self-concept defined by which video games you play

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
My favorite game is Thief, is it a coincidence that i'm a lefty?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

ScreamingLlama posted:

If you think video games don't qualify as art, go play Skyrim for a while and then think about how idiotic that assertion really is.

LibertyCat posted:

I am not kidding when I say I was more moved during the events of the Mass Effect series than I ever was by the works of Beethoven or Leonardo da Vinci.

some insanely good takes in the thread this month

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
If the best thing going in my life was faster internet I would probably kill myself

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Chris Bowen has a weird cadence, be inserts pauses unexpectedly and it's even more jarring on the ears than his terrible beard is on the eyes

Putrid Dog
Feb 13, 2012

"God, I wish I was dead!"
Just to add further anecdotal evidence about Path lab chat in public hospital - consider that with public path labs, not only do almost every doctor outside a Sexual health clinic or hospital send their bloods to be tested in private labs, we also have to deal with the patients who need tests that just aren't commercially viable.

Chlamydia and gonorrhea may be a loss of 80 cents per sample, but factor in tests that are performed in special cases - arboviruses would always make a loss unless there was an outbreak that would severely affect either babies or pregnant women. Beyond that no one would give a poo poo - which is what you saw with the Zika virus. Malaria, Chikungunya, rabies etc still need to be performed as needed in cases where it's suspected. Rare parasitical tests are also an issue with cost.

With Hep C, majority of the easy money making screenings are done in private labs. The more expensive tests are mostly performed by the public path labs and tend to be from poor people/drug addicts in the public health system or prisoners in correctional or detention centers.

With all this info in mind, the government tells the people higher up than us that we need to compete with the private labs, which is almost impossible. So cuts are made, staff is reduced, more automation is brought in, but it always will be a constant losing battle.

People at work joke about going into research instead but lol at that being gutted to the bare bones too.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

ScreamingLlama posted:

It's OK I guess, I'm more of a Fallout/Elder Scrolls/Grand Theft Auto person though, with a side order of The Sims.

If you think video games don't qualify as art, go play Skyrim for a while and then think about how idiotic that assertion really is.

ooft

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
don't stop i'm nearly there

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Negligent posted:

Chris Bowen has a weird cadence, be inserts pauses unexpectedly and it's even more jarring on the ears than his terrible beard is on the eyes

Your obsession with Chris Bowen is getting a tad creepy.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Yeah, because it's not like he's on TV everyday or anything.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
you'll probably still get lag on fibre to the node, sorry man

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Recoome posted:

Imagine having your self-concept defined by which football team you support

ftfy

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Skyrim is art, but not for the reasons you think it is

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Recoome posted:

who the gently caress are you supposed to be

i think this is the ASMR guy?

sorry i mean

*in an extremely whispered but not fetish voice* i think this is the asmr guy

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Negligent posted:

If the best thing going in my life was faster internet I would probably kill myself

Well, I'm not you, and for that I'm very thankful.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Auspol May: Mass Effect, Skyrim, Artism.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

MythLisp posted:

Just to add further anecdotal evidence about Path lab chat in public hospital - consider that with public path labs, not only do almost every doctor outside a Sexual health clinic or hospital send their bloods to be tested in private labs, we also have to deal with the patients who need tests that just aren't commercially viable.

Chlamydia and gonorrhea may be a loss of 80 cents per sample, but factor in tests that are performed in special cases - arboviruses would always make a loss unless there was an outbreak that would severely affect either babies or pregnant women. Beyond that no one would give a poo poo - which is what you saw with the Zika virus. Malaria, Chikungunya, rabies etc still need to be performed as needed in cases where it's suspected. Rare parasitical tests are also an issue with cost.

With Hep C, majority of the easy money making screenings are done in private labs. The more expensive tests are mostly performed by the public path labs and tend to be from poor people/drug addicts in the public health system or prisoners in correctional or detention centers.

With all this info in mind, the government tells the people higher up than us that we need to compete with the private labs, which is almost impossible. So cuts are made, staff is reduced, more automation is brought in, but it always will be a constant losing battle.

People at work joke about going into research instead but lol at that being gutted to the bare bones too.

I wonder if there's anyone in this entire chain unaware that gutting public services is a feature of the system.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I think we're being slightly unfair to SL if such a thing were possible. Llama, if you were in a burning building and you could only save either DaVinci's Vitruvian Man or the last copy of Skyrim, what would you pick?

(this is a bad thought experiment, you're going to have to pretend that if Skyrim goes up there's no more Skyrim)

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

:negative: how can someone be so wrong about so many things?

You gotta install a bunch of mods first.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Starshark posted:

I think we're being slightly unfair to SL if such a thing were possible. Llama, if you were in a burning building and you could only save either DaVinci's Vitruvian Man or the last copy of Skyrim, what would you pick?

(this is a bad thought experiment, you're going to have to pretend that if Skyrim goes up there's no more Skyrim)

If I was in a burning building, I'd be less concerned about art and more concerned about getting myself and others nearby out of the building. But if I had time to choose, I'd save Vitruvian Man.

Disclaimer: Your bad thought experiment is moot anyway, since although Vitruvian Man is considered higher art than Skyrim, it still does not preclude video games being art. Even if I were to be wrong and video games are not really art, they still contain artwork such as surface textures. If you disagree with even that, then please explain to me your definition of art.

Back on topic: 60 Minutes team set to leave Lebanon

quote:

Lawyers representing the parents locked in a bitter custody battle in Lebanon say a deal has been reached that could see Brisbane mother Sally Faulkner and a Channel Nine crew free to leave the country.

The four-person 60 Minutes team, including journalist Tara Brown, has been in jail since being accused of involvement in an operation to snatch Ms Faulkner's children off a street in Beirut nearly two weeks ago.

Ms Faulkner's estranged husband, Ali el-Amien, struck a deal that saw the charges abandoned, but is still pursuing the child recovery crew who snatched his young son and daughter from their grandmother.

Ms Faulkner and Brown were seen leaving the judge's office on Wednesday night without handcuffs, before being driven away in a prison van.

The ABC's Middle East correspondent Matt Brown said Ms Faulkner and the Nine crew may be headed home as early as Wednesday night Beirut time.

A Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade spokesperson said information about the time of their release was not yet available.

"We are pleased to hear news of the release of Ms Faulkner and the four 60 Minutes crew members on bail," the spokesperson said.

"It is premature to comment on how soon the released Australians will be able to depart Lebanon, or any conditions attached to their release."

Outside court, Ms Faulkner's Lebanese lawyer Ghassan Moghabghab said she was free to leave the country.

Asked how she is feeling, he said: "Happy and sad."

"Sad because of her story and sad because she will — her children will stay with their father ... taking into consideration the Lebanese law, he is in his rights.

"And happy that she was released, obviously."

He also said the 60 Minutes crew was out of custody.

Mr el-Amien, also speaking after Wednesday's court appearance, said: "This is the most stressful thing I've ever experienced in my life. I hope no-one ever experiences it."

Asked what was next for the couple's children, he said they would "carry on with their regular lives" and "we'll figure out something with Sally".

He added: "She can come to Lebanon and if she cannot come ... they will decide together which country she will visit."

Ms Faulkner and Brown appeared before the judge in the Beirut court on Wednesday.

It was unclear whether Brown's colleagues, Benjamin Williamson, David Ballment and Stephen Rice, also appeared.

Child Abduction Recovery International's Adam Whittington, a joint British-Australian national, and two Lebanese local employees who were hired as freelancers for the 60 Minutes job, as well a British national who came in from Cyprus, are still facing charges.

They will appear before the judge again on Thursday.

The lawyer acting for the Nine Network, Kamal Aboudaher, said on Monday the broadcaster had not offered any financial compensation to Mr el-Amien.

"We didn't exchange any offer with Ali regarding funds," he said.

Ms Faulkner, Brown and her colleagues were arrested two weeks ago after the child recovery team seized Ms Faulkner's children, Lahela, 6, and Noah, 4, from a Beirut Street as they were walking with their Lebanese grandmother.

Along with Ms Faulkner, they have been in jail in Beirut ever since.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

BBJoey posted:

some insanely good takes in the thread this month

Aye, good vintage this.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

I was kind of hoping the 60 minutes people would get a few months in pound me in the butt prison because tabloid journalism is poo

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

ScreamingLlama posted:

If I was in a burning building, I'd be less concerned about art and more concerned about getting myself and others nearby out of the building. But if I had time to choose, I'd save Vitruvian Man.

Disclaimer: Your bad thought experiment is moot anyway, since although Vitruvian Man is considered higher art than Skyrim, it still does not preclude video games being art. Even if I were to be wrong and video games are not really art, they still contain artwork such as surface textures. If you disagree with even that, then please explain to me your definition of art.

I'm not arguing that video games aren't art, the comment that caused hilarity is quoted above (although I think the poster who made the comment is one of our more easily-bored posters and doesn't actually believe it himself). I pretty much agree with you here, I'm even prepared to fall into the pit that's "High Art vs Low Art".

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
The Transformers movies are art. Doesn't mean I'd use them as proof that film was a valid medium of artistic expression. :shrug:

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

The transformers movies are as much art as something dug up in Cartoon's backyard.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Transformers says more about our modern world than Da Vinci's Vitruvian Man.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Higsian posted:

Transformers says more about our modern world than Da Vinci's Vitruvian Man.

Toilet cubicle graffiti says more about our modern world than Da Vinci's Vitruvian Man too.

I'm not saying high art is the only art, just that art is not entirely subjective and there are good pieces of art and bad pieces of art.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

This is art

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Toilet cubicle graffiti says more about our modern world than Da Vinci's Vitruvian Man too.

I'm not saying high art is the only art, just that art is not entirely subjective and there are good pieces of art and bad pieces of art.

Oh yeah I agree with you, was replying to the post above mine.

I actually get really annoyed by arguments that Transformers aren't art because it kinda shuts down discussion on how to improve them. You have "lol I just want to watch robots fight" on one side and "lol those transformers movies are beneath me" from the other side. People should be looking at Transformers and figuring out how to make movies that tickle the robots fightin part of the brain but aren't completely empty trash at the same time.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
first dog is better art than anime I guess

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Les Affaires posted:

The transformers movies are as much art as something dug up in Cartoon's backyard.

I'm gonna assume this is just to rile up Milky.

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

Higsian posted:

Oh yeah I agree with you, was replying to the post above mine.

I actually get really annoyed by arguments that Transformers aren't art because it kinda shuts down discussion on how to improve them. You have "lol I just want to watch robots fight" on one side and "lol those transformers movies are beneath me" from the other side. People should be looking at Transformers and figuring out how to make movies that tickle the robots fightin part of the brain but aren't completely empty trash at the same time.

They have it's called anime.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Birdstrike posted:

first dog is better art than anime I guess

All this talk about webpages getting formatted for mobile, while first dog remains nigh unreadable on any phone

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Bifauxnen posted:

All this talk about webpages getting formatted for mobile, while first dog remains nigh unreadable on any phone

or computer, or paper

just unreadable

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Miyazaki posted:

First Dog was a mistake

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Zenithe posted:

I'm gonna assume this is just to rile up Milky.

you can't rile me up with that

it's like saying 'the sun is green, that'll get that drat milkman'

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Armsmaster is a war criminal

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Qld worst state

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-21/taxi-drivers-vs-uber-ride-sharing-drivers-face-heftier-penalties/7344300

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Ban Uber.

• Locked thread