Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Golden Goat posted:

It's $60 probably because it's a Nintendo Exclusive and honestly Nintendo prices on new games is sorta wonky sometimes.

Sony released The Order at a full $60. No one is free of price sin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SeANMcBAY posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbW99DyAAm4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQMAyQJ1a6s

It is a shame that there's no online multiplayer since there's no multiplayer game today that really fills that niche. It could have been cool with the new controls.

Guard looks really fun and I'm almost more excited to play that even though I hate TD games.

This is such a huge difference from the giantbomb review.

GB: "controls suck, wish I could just play starfox64, too bad they force this stuff on you but oh well, you can mostly ignore it and pretend like its 64 except some parts"

GameExplain: "Takes a bit to get used to the controls, but then the action is really fantastic and lets you do things you could never do in past starfox games. I can't stress this enough, once I got the controls down it felt amazing. "

:v:

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Ometeotl posted:

Sony released The Order at a full $60. No one is free of price sin.

You do raise a good point Ometeotl. In more ways than one, Star Fox Zero is just like The Order.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

GameExplain: "Takes a bit to get used to the controls, but then the action is really fantastic and lets you do things you could never do in past starfox games. I can't stress this enough, once I got the controls down it felt amazing. "

:v:

Do keep in mind he also added
"But by the time it all came together there was nothing left to do in the game"

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Golden Goat posted:

But that goes against the argument he was trying to make against the insane sadbrain gamer Jeff Gerstman who is trying to sabotage the Wii U by writing bad reviews.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Golden Goat posted:

Right, but I never expected starfox to have a ton of replay-ability or content either. And for some that may be a game breaker, but I've got more games to play right now than I know what to do with.

If I can play through a couple times and have fun and then pick it up again a month from now and do the same thing, and so on, then I'll be pretty happy. I can understand wanting more from Starfox, but a prettier 64 with some new features sounds good to me.

I'll have to see how the controls feels and how it all shakes out when I play it, but point is maybe its not all as pointless or bad as GB is making it out to be.

DrPaper posted:

But that goes against the argument he was trying to make against the insane sadbrain gamer Jeff Gerstman who is trying to sabotage the Wii U by writing bad reviews.

Yep that's totally what I'm arguing, and not any manner of a strawman. No sir.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

and not any manner of a strawman. No sir.

Sorry, what I meant to say was "Hey guys let me compare a summary of one review to an out of context partial quote for literally no reason" then.

Zaphod42 posted:

Right, but I never expected starfox to have a ton of replay-ability or content either.

So have you never played a Star Fox game before? Or been aware of them before the Wii U one was announced??

DrPaper fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 20, 2016

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

DrPaper posted:

Gerstmann didn't even write that review, at least get your shitpost right

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DrPaper posted:

So have you never played a Star Fox game before? Or been aware of them before the Wii U one was announced??

I have only played SNES and 64.

You can beat both of them in like, a couple hours tops. You do have 3 paths through each and a couple secrets, but you can do all that in about 8 hours or less if you really wanted to.

Try again!

E: Ooops I lied, I once played a beta version of StarFox 2 on a repro cart.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

DrPaper posted:

Have you?

Starfox's replayability comes from getting high scores and medals, and then doing the same in Expert Mode. It was never a terribly long game and it has never had a lot of levels.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

It's got platinum on the box, the controls are going to be absolutely fantastic and super responsive but not easily understood in the first hour or 2 of the game like literally everything they've put out.

I've been prepared for this.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DrPaper posted:

I like Star Fox but the combined playtime of every one that isn't poo poo is probably around 7 hours for 100%ing everything. Anything beyond that is aiming for high scores. (or multiplayer which is an unfortunate absence.)

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

they should have put assault's multiplayer into this game, that was extremely my poo poo when i was 13 (WARNING: may have aged terribly outside of my nostalgia brains).

sniper battles in the jungle ahoy

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

DrPaper posted:

Hahaha you are for real with this post aren't you

no you aren't, woops

Zaphod42 posted:

This is such a huge difference from the giantbomb review.

We're now at the point where noted butt-of-jokes GameXplain gets a free pass because it said nice things about a Nintendo game.

fivegears4reverse fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 20, 2016

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Animated short:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA2-0nTxaGg

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
Guess ill throw money at it. How fast has a nintendo exclusive dropped in price anyway?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

You could find Other M at $5 some places not too long after launch.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Motto posted:

You could find Other M at $5 some places not too long after launch.

I still see it in stores at $50.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Depends on the store. At gamestop it's $10 right now and I've seen it lower.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I love that it's animated at 5fps. Lets you soak in all the details.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Motto posted:

Depends on the store. At gamestop it's $10 right now and I've seen it lower.

It was $3 at its lowest.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006

My favorite part was where the rabbit decided to carry around the dogs testicles as a keepsake.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Love that they included some starfox SNES in there

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I love that it's animated at 5fps. Lets you soak in all the details.

Yeah, not sure what that's about. The first Berserk OVA CG anime movie had the same problem, not sure if its a style they were going for or a rendering error but it looks bad. Maybe they're trying to make it look more animated but its CG...

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Silver Falcon posted:

Have you?

Starfox's replayability comes from getting high scores and medals, and then doing the same in Expert Mode. It was never a terribly long game and it has never had a lot of levels.

The branching path system isn't new to SNES or N64 versions of the games, and the bad game for the DS is nothing but replay the game to get different fanfic endings and branches.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DrPaper posted:

The branching path system isn't new to SNES or N64 versions of the games, and the bad game for the DS is nothing but replay the game to get different fanfic endings and branches.

:psyduck: What?

You made the argument that I'd never played early starfox games because I said they usually don't have a ton of content, we all pointed out how the best starfox games are actually quite short, and now you're just babbling incoherently.

Who cares if the branching path system was new or not? What does that even mean? Are you suggesting there was a starfox game before the SNES one? What?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

You made the argument that I'd never played early starfox games because I said they usually don't have a ton of content, we all pointed out how the best starfox games are actually quite short, and now you're just babbling incoherently.

Who cares if the branching path system was new or not? What does that even mean? Are you suggesting there was a starfox game before the SNES one? What?

Settle down, Beavis

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm just excited that my main man R.O.B is going to have a part in this new star fox

directed by platinum games, makers of some of the greatest games in existence

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

BillmasterCozb posted:

I'm just excited that my main man R.O.B is going to have a part in this new star fox

directed by platinum games, makers of some of the greatest games in existence

Same here brother. Can't wait to blast Andross' cronies tomorrow.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.

Szmitten posted:

Animated short:

I knew this was going to be pretty drat anime, but man it exceded my expectations. It's like they got worse voice actors than they have in the actual game just to fill the Bad Dub quota. Falco is especially off, and I'm actually pretty okay with that because it's hilarious.

I also like that they made the team and Pepper the only 3D lipsynced models because they're the main peeps, but the 2d animated characters look way better because of the framerate parity. I am both ironically and unironically way into this. should have spent the marketing budget on more Jim Henson's Creature Shop business, though.

Also, those wondering what critics would probably want when they say there should be more to a modern Star Fox, the answer is Star Fox 2. Command pitched itself as a modern version of that but completely missed the point and was developed at an unfortunate time where they were still trying real desperately to justify the DS touchscreen/lack of analogue sticks.

Have I mentioned I really would very much be extremely into a proper updated release of SF2 with a good framerate, online co-op and leaderboards? Because i really would very much be extremely into that.

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
Please be good goddamnit, I want more Star Fox games to be made. Pre-ordered from Canadian amazon with one of their 30% off pre-order deals and I can't wait for tomorrow.

I would also be really into a updated SF2, that game is a technical marvel and it was a huge shame it wasn't released.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Moartoast posted:

Also, those wondering what critics would probably want when they say there should be more to a modern Star Fox,

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Just take-a-look-at-this

It's forest... ohhh my coddd...

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I want that in my house

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I've not tried yet but can you play this with just the pro controller?

I did the first level earlier today and there was one point in particular that seemed like it would be really difficult without the pad targeting.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Play co-op mode alone.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, not sure what that's about. The first Berserk OVA CG anime movie had the same problem, not sure if its a style they were going for or a rendering error but it looks bad. Maybe they're trying to make it look more animated but its CG...

Yeah, the idea is that it's supposed to integrate better with traditional animation (which is normally animated at very low "frame rates"). It, uh, doesn't really work.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Just played all the training missions. I'm shocked that I prefer "Always On" gyro, and it legitimately feels wonderful. I cannot comprehend how this doesn't click with people (yet).

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Szmitten posted:

Just played all the training missions. I'm shocked that I prefer "Always On" gyro, and it legitimately feels wonderful. I cannot comprehend how this doesn't click with people (yet).

For me its getting used to the multiple screen thing. Also the controls for the Walker really take a while to get used to. It's not intuitive at all.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
Hey y'all.

I'm really excited for Star Fox.

As long as it isn't Command level stupid on the controls and doesn't have Assault amounts of crap that isn't fun pew pew plane/tank stuff I'll be cool.

All the reviews seem to say the story/writing is fun and right on target so I'm glad one of my favorite aspects of a game I started playing in 4th grade has stayed intact.

Woo Star Fox!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

You and others for some reason implied there wasn't replayability in the games, despite it being a reoccuring feature. Having a branching path means you go back and play it for the other paths, and doing them all helps you unlock Expert mode in N64. And I denoted SNES and N64 to separate it from the DS game which has alot more replayability. Hope this helps.

And I don't see how a 20 year old game not having ton of content makes it okay that a game released in 2016 has less content.

• Locked thread