Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The basis of "Hollywood accounting" (which isn't that much different from regular accounting, just more exaggerated and glamorous) is that by reporting lower profits, the studio will have to pay less to profit participants on a film. If you've seen any inside-baseball Hollywood film where people are talking about "net points", they are talking about a percentage of the film's net profit. By lowering the net profit on the books, it means they have to pay less to people who have net points as opposed to "gross points", which means they would get a cut of the revenue before the studio deducts their costs.

This is indeed somewhat of a simplification, especially since the film studios have been relatively highly regulated in terms of anti-trust and monopoly scenarios for most of the 20th century.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHL91HQzhuc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Surely it's made it up on home video??
I'm not quite sure what question you're asking. By most estimates it made a net profit of somewhere around US$90M in the year following its theatrical release (about US$100M at the box office against a budget of around US$10M). At the time, Fox claimed it instead lost about US$2.5M because of advertising, distribution expenses, and miscellaneous other bullshit. The production company, Brandywine, started making noise about getting hosed out of their share of the profits. At which point Fox decided that maybe the film had actually made US$4M up to that point. At which point Brandywine sued. This bounced around for a couple of years and was eventually resolved not by Fox coming clean on the accounting but instead by putting up money for a sequel. Which ended up making about US$180M on a budget of about US$18M. At any rate, the books for Alien (1979) have never, as far as I know, been made public.

RandomPauI posted:

Yeah. This is a gross simplification but a conglomerate which owns a movie studio can order the studio to buy their goods and services from other businesses owned by the conglomerate, even at an inflated cost. Which means of course renting a billboard is going to cost at least $2500 when the market rate is $1,500 and each peanut butter sandwich is going to cost $10.

I don't know why this isn't illegal.
A more obvious, and common, example is advertising costs being subtracted from a film's take even when the advertising dollars are paid to a division of the same parent company that owns the film. So a film from 20th Century Fox gets advertised on the Fox Network and it's actually just News Corporation shuffling money from one end of their books to the other, but that money is just gone as far as anyone holding a percentage of the film's profits is concerned.

In this example I just used Fox because we were talking about Alien, but it's worth pointing out that it was released before News Corp. bought 20th Century Fox and built all the related Fox brands. So poo poo like that presumably happened (but we can't know for sure exactly what because the books are still closed) but it couldn't have been exactly that in that case.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

With net profit sharing in Hollywood being famously corrupt and impossible to enforce, why does anyone, particularly another production company, accept that as part of contracts? Like, clearly the people writing the checks have enormous power, but it's not like they're getting these people to work for free, so how does there end up being terms like this which don't get fulfilled and it seems like people should know don't get fulfilled? Or does it work out for both parties often enough and we just hear about the bad examples?

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Zogo posted:

I just watched Spoorloos (MOTM from a while back) and one thing confused me. Why exactly did that one woman recommend to the sociopath to go to the local gas stations?

It may have been hallucination, but I guess it was mostly the movie having the oddest sense of humor.

(and yes I know I'm answering a post from 6 years ago, I was just fascinated by this scene and needed to :justpost:)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Symbolic Butt posted:

It may have been hallucination, but I guess it was mostly the movie having the oddest sense of humor.

(and yes I know I'm answering a post from 6 years ago, I was just fascinated by this scene and needed to :justpost:)

Finally.

I just rewatched that segment and now it seems she's implying that she thought he was looking for some kind of tryst/fling.
https://youtu.be/o1OC3yFS8zo?t=36m11s

I'm reminded that I want to watch the US version.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SubG posted:

I'm not quite sure what question you're asking. By most estimates it made a net profit of somewhere around US$90M in the year following its theatrical release (about US$100M at the box office against a budget of around US$10M). At the time, Fox claimed it instead lost about US$2.5M because of advertising, distribution expenses, and miscellaneous other bullshit. The production company, Brandywine, started making noise about getting hosed out of their share of the profits. At which point Fox decided that maybe the film had actually made US$4M up to that point. At which point Brandywine sued. This bounced around for a couple of years and was eventually resolved not by Fox coming clean on the accounting but instead by putting up money for a sequel. Which ended up making about US$180M on a budget of about US$18M. At any rate, the books for Alien (1979) have never, as far as I know, been made public.

I was being facetious, but this is interesting nevertheless.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
u have to look at the amount of punctuation...two question marks? no way is this guy serious

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

What happened to Brendan Fraser? He was the king of comedy-actioners, anchored by the Mummy trilogy, and he's a fine physical comedian. Then the third Mummy wrapped and it was like, "Welp, no more jobs for you!" and he's been in bit parts in small pics and doing voice work since then.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Everblight posted:

What happened to Brendan Fraser? He was the king of comedy-actioners, anchored by the Mummy trilogy, and he's a fine physical comedian. Then the third Mummy wrapped and it was like, "Welp, no more jobs for you!" and he's been in bit parts in small pics and doing voice work since then.

Also isn't he regarded as one of the nicest guys in the industry?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I heard he decided to take time off from major roles to raise his kids? It's not like he could be hurting for money.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
Yeah, it always confuses me when people ask 'what happened to [person] who made a shitload of money acting and then stopped acting?'. A lot of people don't keep working once they're set for life, actors included.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Vulpes posted:

Yeah, it always confuses me when people ask 'what happened to [person] who made a shitload of money acting and then stopped acting?'. A lot of people don't keep working once they're set for life, actors included.

Someone once asked Warren Buffet "How much money is enough?", to which he smiled and replied "Just a little bit more..."

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Brendan Fraser hosed his back up pretty severely when he was clearing his land after Hurricane Sandy in 2012. After he underwent surgery his doctors advised him not to do his own stunts ever again which apparently limited his roles.

These last few years he's been in a few small films, did some animation voicework and was in a TV series on the History channel.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Brendan Fraser for Princess Bride reboot.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

effectual posted:

Brendan Fraser for Princess Bride reboot.

Just remake the movie 30 years later with the exact same cast as the original. Replace Andre the Giant with Hafthór Júlíus Björnsson.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
We'll need to replace Peter Falk too.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Fred Savage is the new grandpa and the frame story is now set in 2053.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Instead of being a pirate Wesley becomes a terminator

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
"And 'Affirmative' was all he ever said..."

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

RandomPauI posted:

We'll need to replace Peter Falk too.

Lewis Black!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Done deal. Pre prod time

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
what are some good spy/operative movies? Ive been on a kick of them lately, I really liked the guy richie guy from UNCLE and the first hour of the Good Shepard

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

atrus50 posted:

what are some good spy/operative movies? Ive been on a kick of them lately, I really liked the guy richie guy from UNCLE and the first hour of the Good Shepard

Tinker,Tailor, Soldier, Spy.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Munich.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

atrus50 posted:

Sneakers

Spy Game

3 days of the condor

Day of the Jackal (NOT The Jackal, but do YouTube up Jack Black getting his arm blown off in that)

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

atrus50 posted:

Captain America 2: The Winter Soldier

Relax people, it was a joke. Movie's pretty good though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Parallax View.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
If you liked Man from UNCLE it's also worth checking out at least the 3rd, 4th and 5th Mission: Impossible movies. Watch the 1st one too.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Watch the second as well, it's peak John Woo.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

There really hasn't been a bad Mission Impossible movie.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Enos Cabell posted:

The first one kinda makes no sense at the end, but yeah.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

The second probably isn't the worst movie John Woo ever directed, but it's definitely in the running.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Everblight posted:

The first one kinda makes no sense at the end, but yeah.

I don't remember, why doesn't it make sense at the end?

MI:2 is pretty loving bad. Like it's a watchable bad action movie, but it's got John Woo's worst fingerprints all over it and its treatment of the female lead makes me uncomfortable.

Edit: let's just say that if you are familiar with Brandon Braga's work on Star Trek, the failings of the M:i-2 script should come as no surprise.

Snak fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 26, 2016

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Sorry to ask this but it's on my Facebook rounds lately, and I don't feel like delving back dozens of pages to see:

Did Jared Leto seriously send used condoms and other gross gifts to fellow cast-mates of Suicide Squad? Can't tell if it's just clickbait material or actual, real nastiness that occurred. Hoping for the former.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
He really did it, that's right boys, Jared Leto is truly a twisted joker and it's just a matter of time before he sneaks into Kappa Beta Phi and spray-paints Ronnie The Raccoon

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
I'm not really sure it's quite the spy movie you're looking for, but I liked Hopscotch quite a bit.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

They told Jared Leto to lie on the floor and he did it the absolute madman

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
What was wrong with the rest of The Good Shepard?

Parachute
May 18, 2003
MI: Rogue Nation was easily my favorite of the series, and I'm not surprised at all that it was a McQuarrie at the helm - he and Cruise work really well together imo.

Also, isn't the whole series kind of Tom Cruise's baby so to speak? I know he at least produces if only to be able to do his own crazy stunts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Snak posted:

MI:2 is pretty loving bad. Like it's a watchable bad action movie, but it's got John Woo's worst fingerprints all over it and its treatment of the female lead makes me uncomfortable.

Edit: let's just say that if you are familiar with Brandon Braga's work on Star Trek, the failings of the M:i-2 script should come as no surprise.

The issue with M:I2 is that Woo turned in a cut that was more than three hours long, and Paramount wound up bringing in Stuart Baird to do an emergency re-edit job to trim the length and still have it make a tiny bit of sense.