Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Don't legalise Uber until they replace all drivers with robots then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Isn't the best thing about Uber being able to order and pay for onew with your phone and you know how much it is up front? Also the GPS data so you know when they'll be there to pick you up? If taxi companies just got on board with that I don't see how Uber is any better really?

disclaimer: I take one taxi every few years at best

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Compulsory third party insurance covers the passenger for injury. Unless Uber drivers are allowed to operate unregistered cars.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

starkebn posted:

Isn't the best thing about Uber being able to order and pay for onew with your phone and you know how much it is up front? Also the GPS data so you know when they'll be there to pick you up? If taxi companies just got on board with that I don't see how Uber is any better really?

disclaimer: I take one taxi every few years at best

That would be great but surely they can only give you an estimate?

Taxis tariffs tick up based on time, so if you get a particularly nasty red light it'll cost more than if you coasted through.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Taxis tariffs tick up based on time, so if you get a particularly nasty red light it'll cost more than if you coasted through.

so change the business model to compete

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

MysticalMachineGun posted:

They already have prepaid fares late at night.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Which was the recent Liberal capitalist conference sponsored by Uber, featuring a whole bunch of shitbags?

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

SynthOrange posted:

Which was the recent Liberal capitalist conference sponsored by Uber, featuring a whole bunch of shitbags?

The Australian Libertarian Society's Friedman Conference, if I remember correctly. Also featured a talk by David Lionhat.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
Uber is trash and if you let a Taxi driver choose the route to your destination you deserve to get ripped off.

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011
Or use Uber to book your taxi. People get so mad at anime lol as if a studio ghibli film is lower art than the 30 comic book movies released yearly.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Bill shorten trying to be Bernie sanders is funny. Banks are evil guys

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Negligent posted:

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

Negligent posted:

Banks are evil guys

:agreed:

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
Last time I caught a taxi the driver nearly caused several accidents and was road raging and shouting at other drivers out the window. I was certain we were either going to cause a crash or get into a fist fight.

That's my story.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
My last taxi ride the driver called someone walking across the street a Jiggerboo then regaled us with stories of how many times he's been robbed.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
The ALP are going to win the election.

With the liberals basing their election campaign on the ABCC / Industrial relations, if (a very big if) the ALP somehow manage to stick to their guns re: Bank Royal Commission and not panic and do a Gillard, they'll poo poo it in.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

starkebn posted:

so change the business model to compete

I don't think it is that simple. Laws, regulations and licence conditions determine where and how you pick up customers, what fees you charge and how much you can charge. I wouldn't be surprised if you needed some form of approved fare-calculation equipment installed in your vehicle to get a cab licence. I don't think you can just load an app on your phone and go at it, the TSC and the ESC have to give you the go-ahead.

Not an expert by any means on taxi regulation though.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Negligent posted:

*adjusts Collar uncomfortably*

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

norp posted:

When taxis can provide a minimum standard of service like
A) not talking on your loving phone he whole trip
B) keeping your car clean
C) showering once a day and wearing deodorant

Then maybe they will stop bleeding customers.

In Perth they have apparently taken to blockading lake street so ubers can't get to the pubs/clubs in the evening

Myself and 90% of Sydney is not in Uber's service area. Funny that Uber can undercut taxi's and provide better service so long as they only operate in the CBD, surrounding suburbs and the airport. Maybe we should try and make Taxi's better rather than rely on a business who will not guarantee service to an important part of our transit network.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

thatfatkid posted:

Uber is trash and if you let a Taxi driver choose the route to your destination you deserve to get ripped off.

Ahaha yeah gently caress tourists, they deserve to be ripped off.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Tokamak posted:

Myself and 90% of Sydney is not in Uber's service area. Funny that Uber can undercut taxi's and provide better service so long as they only operate in the CBD, surrounding suburbs and the airport. Maybe we should try and make Taxi's better rather than rely on a business who will not guarantee service to an important part of our transit network.

What the gently caress is this even

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

thatfatkid posted:

The ALP are going to win the election.

With the liberals basing their election campaign on the ABCC / Industrial relations, if (a very big if) the ALP somehow manage to stick to their guns re: Bank Royal Commission and not panic and do a Gillard, they'll poo poo it in.

It'll be close. ALP wins or we get a hunt parliament and presumably the ALP form government by negotiating in good faith.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Frogmanv2 posted:

Yes they do...

Uber is a scourge. Casualisation of the workforce and liberalisation of essential services are not good things.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Coalition will be comfortably reelected.

Bill shorten will never be prime minister.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

thatfatkid posted:

Yes they do...

Uber is a scourge. Casualisation of the workforce and liberalisation of essential services are not good things.

Nah mate Uber is a modern progressive company. Did you see they added a rainbow to their app? My kind of people.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

thatfatkid posted:

Yes they do...
and why is that?

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Frogmanv2 posted:

and why is that?

They can afford it and if they're too lazy to do a little research to take a bus/train they deserve it.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

thatfatkid posted:

They can afford it and if they're too lazy to do a little research to take a bus/train they deserve it.

Ok sweet, was wondering if you were going to go the victim blaming route, and wasnt disappointed.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
Mmm yes the poor oppressed tourist strawman.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

thatfatkid posted:

You know, you could just admit you made a dumb generalisation rather than doubling down on it.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

thatfatkid posted:

Mmm yes the poor oppressed tourist strawman.
Yes, because all tourists are loaded, and there is no such thing as a backpacker on a budget.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

thatfatkid posted:

Yes they do...

Yes the argument is definitely that Uber is taking down public transport and not taxi companies with really poo poo/exploitative business practices.

The whole public transport thing is going to vary by city but we are specifically talking about Brisbane in this case because it's legal in NSW.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
A backpacker on a budget would be taking the cheapest possible mode of transport i.e. bus/train/walk. They wouldn't be taking a loving taxi lol.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

thatfatkid posted:

A backpacker on a budget would be taking the cheapest possible mode of transport i.e. bus/train/walk. They wouldn't be taking a loving taxi lol.

Yeah, all night public transport would help a lot more than uber.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Tokamak posted:

So? Get a train to the city, drink on the way there, get maggot at the venue and then King hit someone on your way out, get an uber home.

Top night out and no nasty cab fare at 2am!

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Recoome posted:

Yes the argument is definitely that Uber is taking down public transport and not taxi companies with really poo poo/exploitative business practices.

This is literally the exact same argument liberals use when talking about industrial relations / unions.

There's a few issues with the current system so let's completely undermine workers rights to "fix" those issues.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Frogmanv2 posted:

Or anyone who finds themselves in a place where they don't have comprehensive knowledge of the quickest routes.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
lmao if you tell a taxi driver to avoid tolls they'll take a longer route. Uber Drivers are usually suburban locals who just use their natural driving routes to get to the destination quickly. You cannot give a star rating to individual Taxi drivers so if they gently caress you there's nothing you can do except complain to a call centre which is the same as essentially doing nothing. Uber Drivers with bad star ratings get kicked out.

Taxi App needs star ratings for drivers and pretty much everything else the Uber App is doing. I can't use Google Now to order a Taxi but I can use it to order an Uber and that's because the industry is a Dinosaur that refuses to evolve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Even if Uber are a bunch of libertarian dickhead, they've already won the battle and the war and established a new normal in trasportation options. With Lyft launching here soon the Taxi Industry best stop complaining and unite under a universal app.

• Locked thread