Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
malware is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

I dunno, the credible death threats Kathleen and I got when Mozilla added CNNIC as a root were pretty fun. (Mozilla and Google now actively distrust that root, even if cross-signed, because of grossly improper issuance. Microsoft continues to trust it fully as a root.)

People on the Internet and their loving death threats, will we ever grow up?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

wait, what?

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Rufus Ping posted:

dishing up disreputable poo poo on port 443

is it too early for a new thread title

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
at the very least that is my new grunge album title

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

in 2009 or 2010, CNNIC (Chinese internet organ) applied to be added as a root to the Mozilla cert database (and thereby to Chrome's and probably Apple's, since they just used the Mozilla one). they did all the right things in terms of audit and so forth, so they met our policy requirements, and we decided that they would be added to the list. other gov'ts controlled roots already.

there was some disagreement with this decision. in addition to the usual mailing list and internet frothing, both myself and the person who operated the CA program for me (Kathleen) received death and assault threats that were specific enough that the police agreed that they should be investigated. it was mostly stuff you could learn from wikipedia and my blog posts, but there were other pieces of fact that were apparently signals that it wasn't necessarily all talk. (the police never said what elements made them think it deserved more attention.) nothing ever happened, and a month or so later the cops said that they didn't think there was anything to worry about. the CNNIC root, meanwhile, was shipped in Mozilla's root store, as well as Chrome's, Microsoft's, and Apple's.

five years later, CNNIC was caught issuing an unconstrained intermediate, which was used for MITM attacks. in response, Mozilla and Google set notBefore blocks on CNNIC-issued certs. last I heard, Microsoft and Apple both kept the root in place without constraint.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Shaggar posted:

If they have a Lets Encrypt cert you cannot trust them. All you can do is guarantee your traffic is encrypted.

All Lets Encrypt certs accomplish is the one thing they set out to do. Go figure. :shrug:

If you want validation that the website itself isn't going to steal your CC information then maybe you should be petitioning the Better Business Bureau to set up their own CA.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 21, 2016

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Shaggar complains about all them certs things but really loves that language whose installer tries to get people to install a search toolbar

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

if you want to deal with bad behaviour (or catastrophic error) post-issuance, you need short cert lifetimes. that's why LE has them.

I don't know how you validate that the organization is not already known for illegal activity in a global market. certainly, no CA I know of is doing that for even EV. they validate that the company in the OU is who they say they are, but they don't have any policy of blocking issuing because people involved in the company have been convicted of prior crimes. that would be a pretty brutal civil rights issue. it would also be useless: criminals create new front organizations all the time, rather than re-use one that got tagged with something.

at the domain/page level we have Safe Browsing and Microsoft's equivalent; it solves a different problem, especially in an environment where "good" domains are often compromised and used as malware vectors

The overhead required in setting up a new company and getting clean employees would eventually outweigh the gains from the illegal activity. Certainly more than "oh, just click this button to get a new cert, no questions asked." Also I don't see how it would be a civil rights violation to deny a known fraudster a certificate.

quote:

their policy was quoted above. which other CA has a policy on this that you would like LE to adopt instead?

I guess I want to see more EV certificate related policy enforcement prior to issuance on all certs, not just ev certs.

CNNIC is still in the Microsoft and apple roots because they want to do business in China and regular users wouldn't understand if those certs weren't in there. Nothing prevents you from removing it from the stores yourself and you could do it w/ group policy to revoke it across entire domains.

I suppose they could limit the installation to devices sold in china, though.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ErIog posted:

All Lets Encrypt certs accomplish is the one thing they set out to do. Go figure. :shrug:

If you want validation that the website itself isn't going to steal your CC information then maybe you should be petitioning the Better Business Bureau to set up their own CA.

why do you care about encryption if you don't trust the other end?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shaggar posted:

The overhead required in setting up a new company and getting clean employees would eventually outweigh the gains from the illegal activity. Certainly more than "oh, just click this button to get a new cert, no questions asked." Also I don't see how it would be a civil rights violation to deny a known fraudster a certificate.

I guess I want to see more EV certificate related policy enforcement prior to issuance on all certs, not just ev certs.

CNNIC is still in the Microsoft and apple roots because they want to do business in China and regular users wouldn't understand if those certs weren't in there. Nothing prevents you from removing it from the stores yourself and you could do it w/ group policy to revoke it across entire domains.

I suppose they could limit the installation to devices sold in china, though.

If someone is convicted of fraud and serves their sentence, they should not be denied the ability to have communication with their server be secured against eavesdropping. Nor should a possession charge keep someone from being able to start an internet business. Similarly with someone who is charged by the Russian/Chinese/Saudi/Alabama government with something and convicted in absentia.

Setting up (faking) a company in many countries is very easy, especially if you are a crime syndicate, and the proceeds from malware deployments are hard to eclipse with administrative fees. If malware deployment wasn't very profitable, criminals wouldn't be interested in it, and the market for vulnerabilities wouldn't be so lucrative. Of course, people don't even have to incorporate, they can just use an individual's identity, and they won't run out of those any time soon. People borrow national identifiers in order to play KMMOs before launch in the west, criminal organizations aren't going to blink.

Both Apple and Microsoft did business in China before 2010 when the root was added, and nobody can use Chrome or Firefox with a site that's issued by CNNIC's root since whatever-2015, so I doubt it would really cause a lot of user consternation. But is your argument that Microsoft doesn't have standards for maintaining inclusion? Removing any cert could cause user confusion, so I guess they would never revoke a certificate for bad behaviour. (Coincidentally, this line of reasoning from MSFT is why EV is a separate class of certificate from DV.)

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

CommunistPancake posted:

i feel like if you're already paying :10bux: for a domain you're not going to give up when you see that it's another :10bux: for a cert
no he's saying that $10 for a ssl cert in addition to a $10 domain is far too steep a price for anyone who wants to scam or spread malware

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

anthonypants posted:

no he's saying that $10 for a ssl cert in addition to a $10 domain is far too steep a price for anyone who wants to scam or spread malware

I loving wish.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
What do regular certs (not code signing certs) have to do with malware

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Rufus Ping posted:

What do regular certs (not code signing certs) have to do with malware

because when shaggar sees a lock in the URL bar he thinks that the site has been granted top secret clearance and had a 3rd party audit of its IT practices and gets regular visits from the secret service. further, he believes that everyone else thinks that too, and therefore will trust the site unfailingly and fall victim to its nefarious malware shipping

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

because when shaggar sees a lock in the URL bar he thinks that the site has been granted top secret clearance and had a 3rd party audit of its IT practices and gets regular visits from the secret service. further, he believes that everyone else thinks that too, and therefore will trust the site unfailingly and fall victim to its nefarious malware shipping

Shaggar posted:

ssl/tls: see shiny lock/totally legit site

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

Subjunctive posted:

because when shaggar sees a lock in the URL bar he thinks that the site [...] gets regular visits from the secret service

SA has the lock so this checks out

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

If someone is convicted of fraud and serves their sentence, they should not be denied the ability to have communication with their server be secured against eavesdropping. Nor should a possession charge keep someone from being able to start an internet business. Similarly with someone who is charged by the Russian/Chinese/Saudi/Alabama government with something and convicted in absentia.
if they want encryption sure, but trust no.

quote:

Setting up (faking) a company in many countries is very easy, especially if you are a crime syndicate, and the proceeds from malware deployments are hard to eclipse with administrative fees. If malware deployment wasn't very profitable, criminals wouldn't be interested in it, and the market for vulnerabilities wouldn't be so lucrative. Of course, people don't even have to incorporate, they can just use an individual's identity, and they won't run out of those any time soon. People borrow national identifiers in order to play KMMOs before launch in the west, criminal organizations aren't going to blink.

Both Apple and Microsoft did business in China before 2010 when the root was added, and nobody can use Chrome or Firefox with a site that's issued by CNNIC's root since whatever-2015, so I doubt it would really cause a lot of user consternation. But is your argument that Microsoft doesn't have standards for maintaining inclusion? Removing any cert could cause user confusion, so I guess they would never revoke a certificate for bad behaviour. (Coincidentally, this line of reasoning from MSFT is why EV is a separate class of certificate from DV.)

Subjunctive posted:

Its still a barrier that lets encrypt is removing. hopefully they all migrate to lets encrypt so it becomes a honeypot

quote:

From my understanding of the CNNIC/MCS thing it was a mistake, not malicious, and CNNIC revoked the intermediate. Microsoft and apple probably figured that adheres enough CCNIC's policies to allow them to stay, but then goog and Mozilla decided they didn't have enough market share to make continued inclusion worth the risk. Also w/ Microsoft they've been hurt by governments in the past for doing nothing wrong, so they're likely to tread carefully around government run organizations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

thats not what ive said at all but ok

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shaggar posted:

Its still a barrier that lets encrypt is removing. hopefully they all migrate to lets encrypt so it becomes a honeypot

that barrier didn't ever exist, as much as you apparently wish that only Good People were allowed to encrypt their traffic reliably

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
again, I'm not talking about encryption I'm talking about trust. they aren't the same thing.

There is an illusion of trust provided by DV certs that I would like to see go away and Lets Encrypt is moving in the wrong direction.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Shaggar posted:

again, I'm not talking about encryption I'm talking about trust. they aren't the same thing.

There is an illusion of trust provided by DV certs that I would like to see go away and Lets Encrypt is moving in the wrong direction.

That's funny, because it seems like the way LE is going about it is exactly the right way to shatter that illusion.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its the worst way because now every site will provide that illusion and users will be worse off then ever before.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the forums should totally get an EV cert. that would rule.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

suffix posted:

SA has the lock so this checks out
remember when sa had ssl on the login page but still transmitted your username/password in cleartext

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Shaggar posted:

its the worst way because now every site will provide that illusion and users will be worse off then ever before.

It doesn't matter if every site now has that effect, the "bad" sites always had the benefit of that. Giving all the benign sites the same treatment is not any sort of additional risk.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
the "trust" comes from being already familiar with the site I'm trying to visit

I just want to know that I'm connecting to the real Facebook eBay Google Microsoft mydomain etc

I'm not going to enter my bank info or download a Microsoft update from random site just because it has a cert

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
right. thats fine for me or you where we understand how DNS works.

Its not enough for grandma who doesn't understand the difference between facebook.com and facesbook.com but she sees both have the same lock which shes been told means its ok.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
well the browser ui needs to change then, and let's encrypt is the first step for that
what you want is outside the scope of registrars and cert authority's

maybe we should make some sort of distributed ledger of trusted sites

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shaggar posted:

Its not enough for grandma who doesn't understand the difference between facebook.com and facesbook.com but she sees both have the same lock which shes been told means its ok.

I see you're conveniently ignoring Subjunctive's specific comments on "actually research shows people don't give a gently caress about the lock"

Shaggar this is a really dumb hill to pick to die on, even for you

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

that won't happen because of Internet Explorer's SmartScreen Filter which has existed since IE8. how do you not know about this?

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Gotta say, it's pretty bogus that LE currently does not issue certificates for IDN domains. As most of us (excluding Shaggar) agree, it's about encrypting everything, not preventing encrypted phishing, malware, etc. So why the double standard here?

The responsible registries enforce policies with respect to which IDN characters they permit in top-level domains and some certainly already actively protect against lookalike domains. Responsible web browsers take protective steps such only showing the unicode characters belonging to user-accepted locales. So then, why is "free certs for all" LE preventing me from putting a certificate on my unicode domain (on a Chinese TLD) that, at last check, is also not supported by any of the for-money CAs for want of demand. I can obviously issue certs on my own CA and try to bully people into installing it, but that hardly works for consumption by the world at large.

(They kinda sorta sound like they want to, but seriously, they deliberately blocked it for now)
Ref: https://github.com/letsencrypt/boulder/issues/597

Edit - skimming everything after posting it reveals:

https://letsencrypt.org/upcoming-features/ posted:

IDN Support

ETA: Before August 1, 2016
Let’s Encrypt does not currently support IDN issuance. We will be adding support.

Well, then!

James Baud fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Apr 21, 2016

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

wasn't there some thing about how chome wants to go from no-lock/lock to broken-lock/no-lock precisely because people don't look for positive security signals

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Shaggar posted:

the steps to use the automated system are just as complex as setting up the certs yourself if not more so

I installed let's encrypt with apt-get and filled out like two questions, one of which was my domain name, and it enabled SSL on my website.

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

OSI bean dip posted:

this is horrible because shaggar cannot see the forest from the trees here okay?
more like

OSI bean dip posted:

this is horrible because shaggar

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
ilu shaggar :glomp:

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
i'm glad i brought up lets encrypt

but yeah in case anyone was wondering keep rear end is a p deece password manager if you can get past the insecure method of actually obtaining it. tho keep in mind what other posters said about "every nerd has their favourite password manager who gives a poo poo" and how keep rear end being open sores means things can be a big mess of plugins

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

how do i encrypted web???

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
the keepiss pricing looks pretty bad. $5 per month for the family plan with more options than the $65 one-time-payment thing, and licenses for all the apps, but you don't get "flexible sync options". weird??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

atomicthumbs posted:

the keepiss pricing looks pretty bad. $5 per month for the family plan with more options than the $65 one-time-payment thing, and licenses for all the apps, but you don't get "flexible sync options". weird??

keepass is free?

i think you're talking about 1password

• Locked thread