Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mimingless
Nov 23, 2007
Oh no, I have a self-esteem issue

Alkydere posted:

Magic isn't bad in this game, it just has a different soft cap of 60 (int for sorceries, faith for miracles, combined for pyromancies/dark) compared to str/dex having a soft cap of 40. They just require a very heavy stat investment to be anything other than a sometimes thing (outside of pyromancies which are lol-bonkers from the word go).

Also, Miracles are kinda frustrating due to how late you find the real damage-inducing stuff. It's all heals/utility early game.

I'm not sure on the lumping Dark spells with Pyromancies here. Yeah, the catalysts that buff dark spells tend to scale off both Int and Faith, but they still favor their primary stat - I got a lot more spell buff out of the Izalith Staff by raising Int from 40-45 than Faith from 10-15. Dark Sorceries have been quite useful alongside non-dark sorceries for me, and my Faith has never gone past 15, and even with an Int-only staff they're still pretty strong. I know the wiki says that Dark Sorceries/Miracles scale with both and thus are weaker with base catalysts, but if that were true the Crystal Chime and Witch's Hair Talisman would both be good for them, and they aren't.

It'd be much simpler, and consistent, if all spells just scale equally with Spell Buff - which depends on the catalyst - and the Izalith Staff/Caitha's Chime/Sunless Talisman trio have an additional bonus to dark damage.

Which, of course, would make Dark Sorceries good on a pure-Int character, which I've experienced myself, and Dark Miracles good on a pure-Faith character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

homeless poster posted:

so the untended graves were clearly meant to show the player what the true cost of failure in their task would come down to. the entire "world" has turned black and lifeless and only the most desperate hollowed dregs find ways to cling to their unlife, in the unhollowed graves, the bell of awakening never went off, so the great unkindled summons never took place, and by the time gundyr had finally found firelink in this timeline it was already far too late - this timeline is dead and the age of dark is 100% complete.

I'm not so sure, The "Light-world" firelink shrine doesn't make sense geographically, you can see lothric from firelink , but you can't see it from lothric, also when the sky changes it changes everywhere except firelink. Additionally only Ludleth seems to understand when you visit the untended graves, which fits in with him willingly showing up to link the fire

EDIT: I am also very possibly blind tho, perhaps I just can't find the shrine

Xenolalia fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Apr 21, 2016

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Alkydere posted:

Magic isn't bad in this game, it just has a different soft cap of 60 (int for sorceries, faith for miracles, combined for pyromancies/dark) compared to str/dex having a soft cap of 40. They just require a very heavy stat investment to be anything other than a sometimes thing (outside of pyromancies which are lol-bonkers from the word go).

Also, Miracles are kinda frustrating due to how late you find the real damage-inducing stuff. It's all heals/utility early game.

Magic is bad because it's a titanic stat investment for limited ammunition attacks that can't be animation cancelled and cost a billion stamina per cast while also demanding you give up all of your ring slots to actually deal good damage and have a decent cast speed and also demanding you give up a third of your estus slots.

It works okay for PvE once you get all of the widgets going and has some situational PvP utility(free-aiming chaos fireballs, sacred flame, melee spiked lightning spears are p good if you catch rollers), but it is in no way worth the effort or time compared to being a melee dude.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
for the record guys, apparently you can complete Yuria/Anri's questline pretty much at anypoint in the game before beating it.

I've done pretty much everything up to the princes and just went back and completed the wedding questline.

seems like a lot of info on the wiki and elsewhere talks about boss progression dictating quest completion but that doesn't seem to be the case.

my question now is, now that both anri's and yuria's quests are done for me, can I un-hollow and poo poo or will it prevent me from getting the dark end?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Tabletops posted:

for the record guys, apparently you can complete Yuria/Anri's questline pretty much at anypoint in the game before beating it.

I've done pretty much everything up to the princes and just went back and completed the wedding questline.

seems like a lot of info on the wiki and elsewhere talks about boss progression dictating quest completion but that doesn't seem to be the case.

my question now is, now that both anri's and yuria's quests are done for me, can I un-hollow and poo poo or will it prevent me from getting the dark end?

Using Purging Stones isn't a problem, healing the Dark Sigil via the Firekeeper is. If you do the latter, you are locked out.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

Its completely true and its hilarious. Welcome to Dark souls! please toss your concept of linear time out the window on your way in.

Wait, what implies that? I don't remember that at all. But it's been a while since I played DS2.

How does Carthus fit into DS3. It seems really out-of-place.
What is the Profaned Flame, exactly?

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Spite posted:

Wait, what implies that? I don't remember that at all. But it's been a while since I played DS2.

practically the entire premise of ds2 is time travel, i think.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Spite posted:

Carthus is new, we know little about it. Do you really need what the Profaned Flame is spelled out? :v:

It's the Flame of Chaos

As for the Giant Lord and the Last Giant, the Last Giant fight takes place directly beneath where you fight the Giant Lord. There's also this, from the Last Giant's Soul description:

"Soul of the surviving giant, who was bound below the Forest of the Giants.
The lord of the Giants, who had brought wrack and ruin to the entire kingdom, was said to have been felled by an unknown warrior. His beaten and broken remains were then dragged beneath the stronghold, where he was sealed away."

This explicitly says the Last Giant is the Giant Lord pretty much, and the unknown warrior is you. That's why the Last Giant wigs the gently caress out when he sees you. He recognizes you.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Spite posted:

You enter the memory of a giant, fight your way to pretty much exactly where you fight a Pursuer the first time, kill him (hes very uniquely shaped, only he and Yhorm look that way) then back in the real world you enter his boss fight, which is pretty close to directly under where you fought him in the memory, where you looks at you and is so loving pissed off that he breaks the rubble hes impaled on to try to kill you. There are also specifics in the last giants soul and the giant kinship that add more.

I'm pretty sure the Profaned Flame is the chaos flame that erupted? Not sure about Carthus

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

voltcatfish posted:

You can find their corpses in one of the zones, tucked away

Not the baby mushrooms too. :qq:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So if bleed is actually worth using, how would you go about using a bandit's knife? Are you supposed to infuse it with bleed like in DS2 or do something else?

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Just ordered the PC DVD box of this game from a retailer called POSTED FROM U.K. on Amazon. Hope it isn't some weird region lock thing. I'm in North America, if that matters. Game looks fuckin sweet and I can't wait to play. I loved Dark Souls II so yeah I should love this too. Time to find my ps3 controller!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

It's time to bacon myself

Mimingless
Nov 23, 2007
Oh no, I have a self-esteem issue

Kanos posted:

Magic is bad because it's a titanic stat investment for limited ammunition attacks that can't be animation cancelled and cost a billion stamina per cast while also demanding you give up all of your ring slots to actually deal good damage and have a decent cast speed and also demanding you give up a third of your estus slots.

It works okay for PvE once you get all of the widgets going and has some situational PvP utility(free-aiming chaos fireballs, sacred flame, melee spiked lightning spears are p good if you catch rollers), but it is in no way worth the effort or time compared to being a melee dude.

I can't speak for everyone, but for PvE at least, I felt that lack of Estus a grand total of once in my entire playthrough. You get plenty of Estus that splitting off some of it for Ash isn't really a problem, especially if that Ash turns into risk-free kills at range that might have cost you health if you engaged in melee. For boss fights my problem was more dying before I could heal than running out.

As far as ring slots go, with 50 Int I did use 3 of my ring slots on magic, two boost rings and the speed ring. However, I honestly would have been fine with only one of the boost rings - I spent a decent amount of the mid-game carrying a mixed pyromancy/sorcery loadout, wearing one boost ring each, and the damage was still quite good. 2 Ring slots is still a bit of a tax though yeah. Still, you might be able to get that down to 1 - depends on how much Dexterity is capable of making up for the casting speed ring. Or how much tons of Int/Faith can make the speed-casting Catalysts worth it.

There are definitely many more uses in PvP than you've catalogued - Affinity and Homing Soulmass are fantastic in PvP, Flashsword is an excellent finisher since it's fast, has range, is magic damage, and can't be parried. The list goes on. If you know how to make use of them, many many spells are great for PvP. The only problem is, where Estus wasn't a big deal for me in PvE, it does come heavily into play here unless you're honor dueling or great with Undead Hunter Talismans. No real answer to that one. :v:

I did however, have a lot of fun playing a mage, it never felt like a chore or anything. And it is a lot of stat investment, but maybe not quite as much as people say - I was quite powerful at 50 Int, not 60, and spent the early-game at 30 and the mid-game at 40.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i don't know if it's been said before but

god drat souls games are just really loving good

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

God this thread is huge, I bought this the other day and am loving it. Started as deprived and got past 3 bosses, now my min/max instincts are kicking in and I wanna reroll a knight because I'm kinda building my deprived stats towards that anyway. I swear I can never just make one guy and stick with him.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
What's the deal with Andre anyway? This game seems like it takes place several generations after the first game, and he's just hanging out here exactly as he was before. He also respawns if you kill him???

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Hamsterlady posted:

What's the deal with Andre anyway? This game seems like it takes place several generations after the first game, and he's just hanging out here exactly as he was before. He also respawns if you kill him???

he's just around, nbd

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hamsterlady posted:

It's to get you hyped for the upcoming spin-off game "Andre's Crazy Adventure" in which you play as Andre from the end of DS1 to the start of DS3.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Wow at 50STR and 18DEX the Fume UGS and Black Knight UGS do the same damage. The Black Knight weapon, however, has a way better move set and is faster.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

He is undead. As long as he can find purpose in life he will live forever and never go hollow.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Mimingless posted:

I'm not sure on the lumping Dark spells with Pyromancies here. Yeah, the catalysts that buff dark spells tend to scale off both Int and Faith, but they still favor their primary stat - I got a lot more spell buff out of the Izalith Staff by raising Int from 40-45 than Faith from 10-15. Dark Sorceries have been quite useful alongside non-dark sorceries for me, and my Faith has never gone past 15, and even with an Int-only staff they're still pretty strong. I know the wiki says that Dark Sorceries/Miracles scale with both and thus are weaker with base catalysts, but if that were true the Crystal Chime and Witch's Hair Talisman would both be good for them, and they aren't.

It'd be much simpler, and consistent, if all spells just scale equally with Spell Buff - which depends on the catalyst - and the Izalith Staff/Caitha's Chime/Sunless Talisman trio have an additional bonus to dark damage.

Which, of course, would make Dark Sorceries good on a pure-Int character, which I've experienced myself, and Dark Miracles good on a pure-Faith character.

Oh yeah, Dark stuff mostly scales off of whatever staff/chime/talisman you're using (or the pyro-flame but that already scales off of both). It's not really the same "lower of int/faith" as it was before...which is good because you'd have to get 120 points in the magic stats to use it. So dark builds aren't nearly as point-heavy as they were before since a straight int or faith build is good for dark now; they just take a little knowledge of the game.

Kanos posted:

Defintely not really worth it for PvE besides support stuff (enchanting weapons and such). But the stuff can be great for PvE. Wouldn't recommend doing any sort of magic (besides Pyromancy) for your first run though.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Doesn't want to see his work squandered, heh heh.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Zaphod42 posted:

I think all the katanas have the same moveset, except the blood one has the L2 where you stab yourself and the black blade R2 is slightly fancier with you holding the edge of the blade. Katana moveset is amazing. As soon as I realized I could parry without having a shield, I started using it over the estoc. The katana parry is really, really hard to time though, so I might try using a parrying blade.

Black Blade 1hr1 is a cool horizontal slash attack which I like more for PvP than the thrust / poke of the other katanas, and the 2hr2 has way more damage potential I think, it seems to get a gigantic damage buff if you full or near-full charge it, I did over 800 damage with a single hit when my regular r1s are doing ~250

Zaphod42 posted:

Holy poo poo I don't know how you're supposed to solo those guys. I ended up summoning help. Crazy hard.

I ended up swapping to the Washing Pole specifically for these guys because you need a weapon with insane reach to be able to actually punish their attacks.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

The crystal sage just went into the floor and never came back.

He sure showed me

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

It goes against the whole game's style, but it'd be interesting to like... see the former Undead Settlement etc, or the Cathedral of the Deep during its heyday before poo poo went to hell and the world ended. Even if its just as a phantom or some weird time-jumping poo poo.

Seeing such gigantic structures defeated and empty is a design theme I guess, but still would be interesting as a reminder that poo poo used to be bustling.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Regarding NG+, I think I'm in the last area, or near to. Will I be able to "finish" the game and get an ending and cutscene and all without going into NG+? I really want to start reading spoilers willy nilly but I don't want to move onto + until I've killed Nameless King

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Nuebot posted:

Nope. She shows up in firelink when you get the ashes from the watchdog fire. Talk to her until she gives you the gesture and leaves. Then you help her out on the ithryll bridge, and make sure you get invaded in the cold place to get creighton's armor because it's easily missable, and then talk to her in firelink again. Then her sign will appear in front of the entrance to the tree's fight room and you fight the inexplicably alive hodrick and join the moundmakers after he dies. I did it last night even though I killed the hell out of hodrick.

This is from a while back, but did you have to kill Aldrich to do this? Wiki says it does but wiki could be wrong about a lot of stuff.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Wow at 50STR and 18DEX the Fume UGS and Black Knight UGS do the same damage. The Black Knight weapon, however, has a way better move set and is faster.

Fume UGS seems kind of mediocre among the UGSes. It has low damage for its requirements and weight and a poor moveset. Notably the 2H R1 is parryable and it doesn't have any attacks that can catch people rolling behind you other than 1H R1. Also pancaking people with the downward Stomp is a lot less satisfying than knocking them 10 feet into the air with the golf swing Stomp that most UGSes have even if they are functionally the same mechanically.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Wow now he became totally invincible, what the gently caress :(

e: crystal sage is the most powerful boss in the game

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

voltcatfish posted:

He's an outrageously buggy boss. 2/3rds of my (successful) phantom attempts have involved him becoming completely invincible.

Internet Kraken posted:

This is from a while back, but did you have to kill Aldrich to do this? Wiki says it does but wiki could be wrong about a lot of stuff.

Yes. Her summon sign in the Undead Settlement only appeared for me after Aldrich was dead. (I checked after Pontiff and there was nothing there.)

Vermain fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Apr 21, 2016

Captn Kurp
Oct 21, 2013

:bravo2:

voltcatfish posted:

Yeah I had a bug where one of his mirror images would become invincible and the real sage would just port out leaving the invincible mirror image. Had to bone out twice before it stopped happening.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Vermain posted:

He's an outrageously buggy boss. 2/3rds of my (successful) phantom attempts have involved him becoming completely invincible.

Yeah I summoned a sunbro both times to be nice and help them get some medals, this apparently just horribly breaks the Crystal Sage.

I just did it alone. Apparently bleed procs on him so he went down even quicker than having a bro :shrug:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

My most fashionable guy yet, though that may not mean much since I'm usually running around in rags or naked or something

Also what is the point of letting me only keep 50 greatarrows on my quiver and 50 in storage at a time

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
nameless king down on 5th try solo!

feels good man! drat, almost done with it. I think I'm gonna respec into some kind of lightning man faith/pyro build for ng+ and main that spear he had and maybe some other lightning infused weapons.

I noticed obidachi has S faith scaling with lightning infusion, astora greatsword too.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Magic-wise, there's only three spells I'd really strongly recommend unless you're going absolutely all-in: Hidden Body, Spook, and Rapport. Hidden Body and Spook let you run around more or less risk free carving apart huge groups, and you can combine them with Aldrich's Sapphire and backstabs for cost efficiency. Rapport is ungodly broken on anything that isn't immune to it, limited only by how late you get it in the game and how much FP you're willing to pour into it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Internet Kraken posted:

I did all of it after killing Aldrich, at some point it becomes necessary I assume.

So how about that Ocieros fight? Probably hardest for me so far since he was fast and my attacks are slow and he's probably the first thing I've fought in a while capable of breaking the super armor on my UGS charge attack. Also what the gently caress is up with that baby poo poo. Why was there a baby making noise when I'd smash him with a sword. I assume it's his baby because he's talking about it the whole fight. But where is it. I don't think I like the possible implications of that whole mess

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Fuligin posted:

Regarding NG+, I think I'm in the last area, or near to. Will I be able to "finish" the game and get an ending and cutscene and all without going into NG+? I really want to start reading spoilers willy nilly but I don't want to move onto + until I've killed Nameless King

Yes, you get asked if you want to go to NG+ like in DS2. If you say no you get sent back to Firelink and can go to NG+ through the bonfire.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

RatHat posted:

Yes, you get asked if you want to go to NG+ like in DS2. If you say no you get sent back to Firelink and can go to NG+ through the bonfire.

Awesome, much thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Fashion Souls 3

Managed to gain and then lose ~160k souls in all of ten minutes doing 3v3 PvP, what an absolute riot!

I dropped the prop hunt branches for my sunbros and we ganked the hell out of some poor idiots. Some people seem to always see through them, is there a ring that does that?

Also, how do I get the ring that makes me look normal as an invader?