Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

a cop posted:

Is anyone up to NG+ ?

Is everything in exactly the same position or do they change some stuff up?

Some of the item drops are "upgraded" like finding titanite chunks whered youd find large shards but that seems to be about it. Nothing actually new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Internet Kraken posted:

The baby is the third prince of Lothric, and was magically engineered by Ocieros to be as close to the dragons as possible. Oceiros had become obsessed with their dragonblood and creating a worthy heir of the throne. He found out about Seathe, become totally obsessed with him, and well that's why he ended up turning into that dragon monstrosity. He wants Ocelot to claim the throne with his super dragonblood when he grows older, but you put a stop to that.

I don't think the baby is anywhere in the fight. Presumably Ocieros is carrying him, as they both die when the fight ends.

I assumed that Ocelotte could turn invisible since he was (sorta) a half-dragon, just like Priscilla, who could also turn invisible. Maybe it's just a thing half-dragons can do?

As far as the other spoiler thing people have been talking about, it's not like this is the first time it's happened, sort of. The Kiln of the First Flame is way different between DaS1 and DaS2, but reverts back to its DaS1 look for DaS3. It seems fitting with the themes of the series for there to be multiple firelinks, and multiple kilns.

On a third spoilery note, I'm not really sure what to make of the idea, and it's still sorta half-formed, but is the PC a lord of cinder? You wake up with the bell designed to wake the lords up and call them to their thrones, and the only beings in the game who get the on-fire ember effect are you and the lord bosses, iirc. Also worth noting are that you only hollow if you want to, suggesting you have something staving off the dark inside you--either the blessing of the king from DaS2, or possibly a fragment of the first flame?

I love that this game is actually sort of comprehensible. DaS1 was completely incoherent without reading both Frampt's and Kaathe's missable dialogue, and DaS2 was even worse. This game feels more like DeS, where the plot is obscured but not hidden, if that makes sense, and I'm loving it.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Some of the item drops are "upgraded" like finding titanite chunks whered youd find large shards but that seems to be about it. Nothing actually new.

Dang. I really missed that aspect of DS2 in Bloodborne. Even the odd red phantom was enough to make you feel like you could encounter something new around any corner, even if they were few and far between.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

I didn't find this in NG because I had finished the final cutscene before I did unattended graves, but I love that after you give the Firekeeper eyes, Lord BossSoul casually mentions that he chose his own path of his own desire and accord, and you should do the same, especially if you're planning on being an rear end in a top hat and stealing the fire for yourself. *wink*

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Your Computer posted:

Really? I suppose I could respec and put some points into Vigor (it's usually the last stat I put points into, if ever), which could balance it out. I was thinking more in terms on "bosses and enemies are already two-shotting me in NG, how fast will I die in NG+" but I guess that's very much my own fault :downs:

yea. most of the difficulty comes from not knowing how to handle a given situation, so once you know you're gonna do a lot better. again, I haven't done ng+ in this game, but I have in all the others and it's a cake walk compared to your first run. the older games moreso because the enemies did not scale even close to enough, so you'd just run around killing the trash mobs in one hit for a while until the game caught back up. bloodborne did ng+ the best, tho it didn't do the unique black phantom enemies that the previous games did for subsequent runs. an endgame character in bloodborne will die about as fast in central yharnam, the first area, as they would in ng when they first ran through the area. this is true in every area and against every boss. not putting points into health will obviously get you killed no matter what, so maybe you should consider actually investing in the "don't die" stat :v:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Yeah this happened to me as well. It was pretty funny.

What's not funny is that grab working properly and killing you. The hippo shoves you into its chest and you get digested :gonk:

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
I just made it through High Lord Wolnir, and got him on my first try. Looking at some videos online and then helping people out with co-op, that fight seems really weird. I only ever noticed one summoned skeleton during my fight (because he killed the rest of them), and I don't think he even ever pulled his sword. I did beat him pretty quickly, which might have prevented him from going through his whole routine. The only way I could see that fight being especially difficult is if you are low level. A couple hosts I was helping did die because they didn't stay away from the cloud.

Whix
Oct 2, 2008

IT GOES BOOM!
Anyone having trouble with sliding phantoms? Every time i invade or get invaded they're just sliding and i get hit without any animations.

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

Whix posted:

Anyone having trouble with sliding phantoms? Every time i invade or get invaded they're just sliding and i get hit without any animations.

Not constantly, but I have had it happen quite a bit. Kinda sucks not being able to see when people are swinging at you...

On the other hand though if you're fighting a boss in someone's world and they're sliding around, you can't actually get hit by the boss, you can just sit there and pummel them into the floor with impunity.

Subhazard
Oct 13, 2008
*removed*

Subhazard fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Apr 21, 2016

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

yea. most of the difficulty comes from not knowing how to handle a given situation, so once you know you're gonna do a lot better. again, I haven't done ng+ in this game, but I have in all the others and it's a cake walk compared to your first run. the older games moreso because the enemies did not scale even close to enough, so you'd just run around killing the trash mobs in one hit for a while until the game caught back up. bloodborne did ng+ the best, tho it didn't do the unique black phantom enemies that the previous games did for subsequent runs. an endgame character in bloodborne will die about as fast in central yharnam, the first area, as they would in ng when they first ran through the area. this is true in every area and against every boss. not putting points into health will obviously get you killed no matter what, so maybe you should consider actually investing in the "don't die" stat :v:

They dropped ADP, dodging doesn't require stats anymore :smuggo:

It's true that knowing the situation makes things a lot easier, I've got several hundred hours in DS1+2 of weird gimmick runs but I think I've only done NG+ in either game like... once. It's mostly because I tailor my characters (from the name to the character creator, to the fashion souls and the build) around a certain gimmick, and having to play through NG first just to be able to begin that gimmick feels kinda dumb.

Not like it matters anyway, I'll probably eventually do the same thing I did in DS2 which is to just use Cheat Engine to get the gimmick run going :v: It let me do stuff like "only heal from the Eleum Loyce R2" and various dumb cosplay runs.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Internet Kraken posted:

The baby is the third prince of Lothric, and was magically engineered by Ocieros to be as close to the dragons as possible. Oceiros had become obsessed with their dragonblood and creating a worthy heir of the throne. He found out about Seathe, become totally obsessed with him, and well that's why he ended up turning into that dragon monstrosity. He wants Ocelot to claim the throne with his super dragonblood when he grows older, but you put a stop to that.

I don't think the baby is anywhere in the fight. Presumably Ocieros is carrying him, as they both die when the fight ends.

Ocelette is very dead and has probably been so for quite some time. Oceiros has lost completely lost his marbles from being consumed by his obsession with dragonblood (get it, thematic naming). Notice how he holds his arm though in the first half of the fight? He's so far gone he still thinks Ocelotte is with him and he's cradling his baby son close to him so nobody else will take him.

Dark Souls is a happy series.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Ocelette is very dead and has probably been so for quite some time. Oceiros has lost completely lost his marbles from being consumed by his obsession with dragonblood (get it, thematic naming). Notice how he holds his arm though in the first half of the fight? He's so far gone he still thinks Ocelotte is with him and he's cradling his baby son close to him so nobody else will take him.

Dark Souls is a happy series.

I mean, that's the obvious solution, and maybe (probably) the right one, but then what's up with the crying?

Subhazard
Oct 13, 2008
I forget, this is SA, more context is needed rather than all-caps.

I made a video where I feed phantoms to lizards. took me 6 hours to edit, hope you all like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LENt4XR-e8o

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Subhazard posted:

I made a video where I feed phantoms to lizards. took me 6 hours to edit, hope you all like it.

You'd figure they would have been more appreciative of your efforts. Raising pets is rough :v:

Subhazard
Oct 13, 2008

Section Z posted:

You'd figure they would have been more appreciative of your efforts. Raising pets is rough :v:

It's a full time job. Love em to death though.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

There are also some upgraded rings hidden around in new spots (and you have to find them all for the trophy!) but no new enemy placements or anything.

More or less all of the soul items are buffed up to be better than anything you find in NG

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Subhazard posted:

This is what the "Point down" gesture was made for :allears:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

cheetah7071 posted:

I mean, that's the obvious solution, and maybe (probably) the right one, but then what's up with the crying?

You got me on that one. I don't have a good explanation beyond "hey it was just part of the music for atmosphere don't read into it". Well, I have one idea but it's really far-fetched and probably way too analytical.

Maybe Oceiros is subconsciously throwing out sound with sorcery because he's so deeply delusional about his kid being alive and whats going on. Throwing sound is a really simple sorcery and all.

I suppose it's possible to go either direction with this one really, but I personally don't really buy the baby was totally there and just invisible the entire time thing.

Subhazard
Oct 13, 2008

Your Computer posted:

This is what the "Point down" gesture was made for :allears:

like, comment, subscribe, all that banal poo poo.

Anywhere else I should post this?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Invasions attempted: 15+
Invasions won: 1

I am the PvP master.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm listening through the soundtrack and I just want to remind everyone how loving great Nameless King's theme is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajq6MFS_ysM

It goes full Castlevania at around 1:00. Truly the most anime of themes for the most anime of bosses.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Curious about how NG+ works. I kinda wanna rush the final boss and see this ending I got lined up but I got so much more to do despite being at the (apparent) home stretch.

Is it like 2 where you see the ending and it just randomly puts you at a bonfire saying "Hey champ go on forward any time" or is it more Bloodborne where you finish the game and it auto kicks you to NG+

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
^^^^^ Don't worry, it's like 2.

cheetah7071 posted:

On a third spoilery note, I'm not really sure what to make of the idea, and it's still sorta half-formed, but is the PC a lord of cinder? You wake up with the bell designed to wake the lords up and call them to their thrones, and the only beings in the game who get the on-fire ember effect are you and the lord bosses, iirc. Also worth noting are that you only hollow if you want to, suggesting you have something staving off the dark inside you--either the blessing of the king from DaS2, or possibly a fragment of the first flame?

The bell wakes unkindled as well as lords of cinder, and you're not the only one with the ember effect. What makes someone a lord of cinder is linking the fire, so you're not one yet but you're pretty close.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Subhazard posted:

Totally loved this after I spent forever trying to remember where that music is from. For a second I thought it was Cyborg Justice and you woulda gotten some serious cred.

Subhazard
Oct 13, 2008

Rolo posted:

Totally loved this after I spent forever trying to remember where that music is from. For a second I thought it was Cyborg Justice and you woulda gotten some serious cred.

sonic spinball haha

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Your Computer posted:

I'm listening through the soundtrack and I just want to remind everyone how loving great Nameless King's theme is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajq6MFS_ysM

It goes full Castlevania at around 1:00. Truly the most anime of themes for the most anime of bosses.

I feel like Bloodborne has the most consistently good soundtrack of the series but DS3 has some serious high notes. The Princes fight music is phenomenal.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Curious about how NG+ works. I kinda wanna rush the final boss and see this ending I got lined up but I got so much more to do despite being at the (apparent) home stretch.

Is it like 2 where you see the ending and it just randomly puts you at a bonfire saying "Hey champ go on forward any time" or is it more Bloodborne where you finish the game and it auto kicks you to NG+

It's like 2. They ask you "wanna go to NG+ immediately or wait?" and you just pick "uh imma do it later", then do whatever you want. You can go to NG+ from the bonfire in Firelink whenever you want after that.

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.
Something that's probably super obvious but I haven't seen anyone mention (general gameplay thing, not a story/boss spoiler):

The chest chain thing from DS2 still holds true. Curled in a circle means it's safe, straighter means it's a mimic.

Of course, they're basically all mimics, so.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Extortionist posted:

Something that's probably super obvious but I haven't seen anyone mention (general gameplay thing, not a story/boss spoiler):

The chest chain thing from DS2 still holds true. Curled in a circle means it's safe, straighter means it's a mimic.

Of course, they're basically all mimics, so.

Seriously, what's with the Mimic ratio in this game. I feel like there's 1 chest for every 5 mimics

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Seriously, what's with the Mimic ratio in this game. I feel like there's 1 chest for every 5 mimics

Also literally the first chest is a mimic, which kinda defeats the point.

Subhazard
Oct 13, 2008

RatHat posted:

I'm getting Doom 3 closet imp flashbacks.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

technically the first chest is in firelink if you do the tree jump trick but yea the amount of mimics is really weird.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Getting a mimic and a giant fire demon to kill each other was the highlight of my yesterday.

They literally got each other's health bars down to nothing and the demon won by a scratch.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I'm leaning towards uchi vs black blade for bleed weapon of choice. Thoughts? I'm assuming Black Blade is best until those crazy twin blades come into play. Don;t think I have access to those yet though

Subhazard
Oct 13, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

I'm leaning towards uchi vs black blade for bleed weapon of choice. Thoughts? I'm assuming Black Blade is best until those crazy twin blades come into play. Don;t think I have access to those yet though

I mean sure, if you wanna be a weeab

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Rolo posted:

Oh my loving god someone else remembers that game.

It would have been the best thing ever if, you know, it had more variety than 2 enemies, repeat until boss, repeat until sudden 2D plane fight :negative:

DS3 DCL let me tear the legs off an enemy and put them on TIA.

RatHat posted:

It wasn't for me, but that may be my wildly indecisive and unintutive choices of direction at play :downs:

Nice of them to put it in a place where you can see it from complete safety though.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Being a mound-maker is hilarious. When am I gonna betray you? Will I? Will I fight that Watchdog of Farron, or help him? Will I charged-R2 you when you're fighting that mob?! WHO KNOWS?!

~mad phantom~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subhazard
Oct 13, 2008

TheHoosier posted:

Being a mound-maker is hilarious. When am I gonna betray you? Will I? Will I fight that Watchdog of Farron, or help him? Will I charged-R2 you when you're fighting that mob?! WHO KNOWS?!

~mad phantom~

No one is safe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LENt4XR-e8o