Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Weird, im usually the one kicking people down holes. This video makes me very happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

I'd be surprised if pale dragon breath is actually worth a drat in this game. It sure wasn't in DS1.

actually it was good in ds1 because of the way the spell system worked
its the go-to mook clearing spell for a all-in caster because it gets 20 casts per stack (base), pierces enemies and does almost the same damage as a crystal soul spear

because of the whole MP/FP system its loving traaaaaash here but that's to be expected with how awful sorcery is as a whole until the very, very endgame

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
The dumb thing is that sorcery isn't even good endgame.
The one good magic build I saw was level 68, and had over fifty points in int.

Its something you kill your character for at mid levels, that becomes increasingly bad if you deviated from the build.
At level 70~ 600 damage per spell isn't bad. But this means having a health pool less than 700 yourself.
If you build a character and then give it magic you end up dealing with high level players by nature of how many levels that takes, and they don't give a poo poo about your damage at that point.

PVE is arguably worse because its basically something you respec into. By the time you're level 70 why bother, you're making the game harder than it has to be for no reason. You already invested into weapons and such, why rock the boat.

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

RatHat posted:

Also literally the first chest is a mimic, which kinda defeats the point.

I think it's kind of a play off the earlier games. In DS1 all the chests are safe up until Sens Fortress (if I remember right) and then the mimic's a total surprise--in DS3 they expect you to expect the same and so just throw the mimics in right up front to mess with you.

Though that's kind of undermined by having so many of them--it probably would've been better if they were less frequent, just so they were more surprising and less predictable.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I don't even entertain the possibility that a chest isn't a mimic anymore. If I see a box I smack it.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

The Gorp posted:

The dumb thing is that sorcery isn't even good endgame.
The one good magic build I saw was level 68, and had over fifty points in int.

Its something you kill your character for at mid levels, that becomes increasingly bad if you deviated from the build.
At level 70~ 600 damage per spell isn't bad. But this means having a health pool less than 700 yourself.
If you build a character and then give it magic you end up dealing with high level players by nature of how many levels that takes, and they don't give a poo poo about your damage at that point.

PVE is arguably worse because its basically something you respec into. By the time you're level 70 why bother, you're making the game harder than it has to be for no reason. You already invested into weapons and such, why rock the boat.

yeah it's pretty rear end overall but people are gonna say it's fine because the general 'magic is op' poo poo that'ss spouted eternally
being a glass cannon that dies in one hit and does less than 2-3 swings is pretty crap but that's what i expected after ds2's dlcs anyhow

on the other hand soul stream is a loving beam and every time i hit someone with it dumbfiring the prediction spot vs a reaction roll i forget all the struggles of sorcery

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
I wish mimics weren't strictly chest enemies.
Like, have a barrel with a shiny where the barrel eats you if you try to take it. You have to roll or attack the barrel.

I feel like because mimics are forced to pretend to be chests there's no suspense. You know when the risk is.
Maybe what I said is retarded and bad game design but I would like at least one booby trapped item that isn't given away by "This is a treasure chest".

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

The Gorp posted:

Like, have a barrel with a shiny where the barrel eats you if you try to take it. You have to roll or attack the barrel.

I feel like because mimics are forced to pretend to be chests there's no suspense. You know when the risk is.
Maybe what I said is retarded and bad game design but I would like at least one booby trapped item that isn't given away by "This is a treasure chest".

You mean like the various ambushes by a glowy that turned out to be some Alluring Skulls?

Granted, they haven't been GOOD ambushes so far. But I laughed at the joke.

Alan Smithee posted:

really any sort of HOLY OBJECT ISNT WHAT IT APPEARS TO BE moment would be nice

Funny, I thought Lost Izalith was the LEAST favorite area in DS1 :v: Oh wait those guys were also in the Demon ruins carry on.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Apr 21, 2016

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

The Gorp posted:

so far the only new one I've seen is the soul corpses yelling at you like this is some 2005 flash video screamer bullshit

gently caress the ithryll dungeons

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
dark souls 2 and 3's greatest sin

no return of mushroom people

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

The Gorp posted:

More types of mimics would be neat, like those drawings for bonfire and ladder mimics out there. Or you could even have like enemy mimics. Something that looks like one of the lotheric knights, but once you smack it, it freaks out and unfolds and holy poo poo there's teeth and bits of people in there. Or even just statue mimics, when I was in the cathedral of the deep I kept waiting for one of those statues to come to life for some reason, all I got was one that puked.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Speaking of mimics, what's up with that one in Irithyll Dungeon that acts differently than every other mimic I've seen? It was a lot harder to not get hit by but did basically no damage.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

When that dude (you know the one) popped up first time in DS2 for a second I thought it was a bonfire mimic.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
For ladder mimics to work right, you need to have one of the later ones, EXACTLY one, that is a fake ladder you approach from above.

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

General Morden posted:

There are some in DS3.

Just they're dead.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

General Morden posted:

They're in the Farron swamp if you look around..

...I'm so sorry :smith:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Alan Smithee posted:

so far the only new one I've seen is the soul corpses yelling at you like this is some 2005 flash video screamer bullshit

gently caress the ithryll dungeons

The cages full of corpses in Undead Settlement only start attacking you after you've seen enough of them to assume they're no threat. That definitely got me the first time.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Einwand posted:

Speaking of mimics, what's up with that one in Irithyll Dungeon that acts differently than every other mimic I've seen? It was a lot harder to not get hit by but did basically no damage.

It's a Dark Souls 2 mimic. That's all there is to it, really.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Oh man I just noticed something. Those horrible hand hippo monster things, the hand part of them? looks a lot like Manus' giant hand. He even had extra fingers and weird teeth growth things on his palm.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

Your Computer posted:

They're in the Farron swamp if you look around..

...I'm so sorry :smith:

where

so i can pay respects

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

General Morden posted:

where

so i can pay respects

They're near the blob of the three big dudes with clubs in the poison swamp section.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Nuebot posted:

Oh man I just noticed something. Those horrible hand hippo monster things, the hand part of them? looks a lot like Manus' giant hand. He even had extra fingers and weird teeth growth things on his palm.

yeah but did he have a fuckton of eyeballs on his forearm
i think not

seriously god drat those things are creepy

it's between those, the bug ladies (idk how the hell they managed to define it as something feminine so well when its that thing) and the pilgrim butterflies for awful monsters performing cameos from bloodborne

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

General Morden posted:

where

so i can pay respects

At (12) (near the top):

RIP in peace mushroom mans, your punches were too good for this world.

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

General Morden posted:

where

so i can pay respects

From the Keep Ruins bonfire, go down the ramp, drop off to the left and hug the wall. Kill the dog thing that attacks you, continue, and pretty soon you'll see 3 giant druid guys in a circle up ahead, and to your right a camp of the other smaller guys. Head to the camp.

Also worth killing each of the 3 giant guys for drops (doesn't have to be in the same life, but each drops something different, 2 of which are unique).

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Fereydun posted:

yeah but did he have a fuckton of eyeballs on his forearm
i think not

seriously god drat those things are creepy

it's between those, the bug ladies (idk how the hell they managed to define it as something feminine so well when its that thing) and the pilgrim butterflies for awful monsters performing cameos from bloodborne

As for the weird spider ladies, I'm pretty sure it's a combination of playing on japanese ghost stereotypes like The Ring and The Grudge, hence their long hair and keeping the face down combined with the over-long arms. And insect imagery in general often being feminine in portrayal.

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods
Is there a covenant requirement to summon more than two red phantoms at a time? I was summoned into a world with five reds and I'm trying to figure out why I can't do that. No, I'm not insane.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

is the armor that you see on the cover art attainable

if so where can you get it

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

General Morden posted:

is the armor that you see on the cover art attainable

if so where can you get it

Sure you can get it... you just need to beat the game :ssh:

It's pretty troll-y and I'm sure it pissed off some folks. You can buy it from the handmaid after defeating the final boss.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

RatHat posted:

Also literally the first chest is a mimic, which kinda defeats the point.

the second chest is a mimic. the first chest is a silver kite shield.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I havent played Dark Souls 1, just 2 and 3, and the environments, and monsters in 3 are so much better artistically than 2. Much more organic, more dark and ominous. Dark Souls 2's art style almost seems like a parody of it by comparison.

I just hope they make co-op more stable and reliable.

Co-op is really awesome when it's working though. Kicking the asses of invading griefers is a nice little bonus.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Is there an infinite loading screen bug if you're summoned? Stuck in a loop watching item description cards go by and figuring they didn't code a time-out function if the summon does indeed fail after fading to black.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Nuebot posted:

As for the weird spider ladies, I'm pretty sure it's a combination of playing on japanese ghost stereotypes like The Ring and The Grudge, hence their long hair and keeping the face down combined with the over-long arms. And insect imagery in general often being feminine in portrayal.

aren't their faces melted off too? like right at the 'waterline' if I'm not mis-remembering. poo poo's spooky as hell.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Xenolalia posted:

aren't their faces melted off too? like right at the 'waterline' if I'm not mis-remembering. poo poo's spooky as hell.

Good question. I haven't managed to get a good enough look at their faces. I know they have mouths though.

Your Computer posted:

Sure you can get it... you just need to beat the game :ssh:

It's pretty troll-y and I'm sure it pissed off some folks. You can buy it from the handmaid after defeating the final boss.

Is that the same set? every image I've seen of it, it looks different. Especially the helmet

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Pro fuckin click zone

I'm dying hahahah

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Anyone know if the Dark Sword has been nerfed in 1.04? I haven't got it yet but don't want to bother if it has..........

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

MZ posted:

Anyone know if the Dark Sword has been nerfed in 1.04? I haven't got it yet but don't want to bother if it has..........

its loving bonkers go get it right now

Subhazard
Oct 13, 2008

Luceid posted:

its loving bonkers go get it right now

That and dancers, they over-buffed it

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Extortionist posted:

I think it's kind of a play off the earlier games. In DS1 all the chests are safe up until Sens Fortress (if I remember right) and then the mimic's a total surprise--in DS3 they expect you to expect the same and so just throw the mimics in right up front to mess with you.

Though that's kind of undermined by having so many of them--it probably would've been better if they were less frequent, just so they were more surprising and less predictable.

Mimic stuff I'll spoiler to be nice

The double mimics right next to each other in the Profane capital got me, especially since all the gold and poo poo covers up the chain on the one. I saw the chain on the left mimic, thought 'no way the other will be one too!' and, well,

Anyway the lesson of my story is

Steve2911 posted:

I don't even entertain the possibility that a chest isn't a mimic anymore. If I see a box I smack it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Subhazard posted:

That and dancers, they over-buffed it

The downside to which is that it's become the number one weapon for making GBS threads on low level players in the high wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
P.S. : Whoever said that phase 2 of the Peaks' second boss was the hard one was wrong. I pretty much just beat it by dodging to the right over and over. :downs: