Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Lyft is coming though. If taxis are bleeding now. I cannot even fathom the damage when you have dual phone drivers running both apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

You'll get what's happening in China where you get rideshare drivers with 4 phones on their dashboard running every rideshare app on earth.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I hope the taxis and uber kill each other.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Lyft is a dumb name no one is gonna say 'guys let's get a lyft'

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Compare Uber to GoCatch. GoCatch is the app with taxi industry support. goCatch doesn't have surge pricing but instead has tipping. Tipping is where you put out 5 to 10 or more dollars for a driver to claim your booking. So now what's happened is taxi drivers won't accept your booking until you tip so they already get money out of you without showing up.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Yeah but Shofer has a built in breathalyser and you can choose a male or female driver :wink:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

maybe when it comes to taxis vs uber the truth is in the middle..............????

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The middle is bikes with helmets

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

Hehe this is especially true on the santa pub crawl night.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Maybe in this case the free market will actually fix it???

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The solution is for the government to issue unlimited taxi licenses to anyone willing to maintain basic standards for a reasonable fee and tell the entitled baby boomer rent seeking fucks that think their licenses are worth 300 grand to gently caress off.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Yeah the licence fees are just :psyduck:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Anidav posted:

Maybe in this case the free market will actually fix it???

:eyepoop:

Jumpingmanjim posted:

The solution is for the government to issue unlimited taxi licenses to anyone willing to maintain basic standards for a reasonable fee and tell the entitled baby boomer rent seeking fucks that think their licenses are worth 300 grand to gently caress off.

That'll be a start.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
in a shockingly sensible act the qld government is putting MPV through as an amendment to an LNP bill creating more electorates.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
I got called by the Greens and as a result am doing door knocking this Sunday (but I just bought Fallout 4 last Sunday and this will cut into my playing time :( ).
I also signed up for flyer drops one day and helping out at the booth on election day, so I think the guy in the phone was happy he called me!

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Ket posted:

I got called by the Greens and as a result am doing door knocking this Sunday (but I just bought Fallout 4 last Sunday and this will cut into my playing time :( ).
I also signed up for flyer drops one day and helping out at the booth on election day, so I think the guy in the phone was happy he called me!

I hope they're layering their voter contact (hint: The Greens are worse than the LNP at doing this).

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

the results are in for this month's aggregate Negligent posts wordcloud

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I can't see how having big burly blokes required by law to use women's bathrooms is more comfortable to these people worldviews than just letting transpeople choose which toilets they use.

I think the big burly transmen in women's bathrooms will be greatly outnumbered by straight male pervs using it as a defense.

Call them Penis/Vagina rooms imo.

Pickled Tink posted:

Gods this is bad. Bike chat may be our only hope:
NSW worst state.

Traffic shouldn't be held up by your stupid kids toy. I still can't believe that most states don't let you ride on the footpath. I'd like to see them restricted to only the footpath.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

LibertyCat posted:

Call them Penis/Vagina rooms imo.

:frogout:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

LibertyCat posted:

I am not kidding when I say I was more moved during the events of the Mass Effect series than I ever was by the works of Beethoven or Leonardo da Vinci.

thank you for you input, libertycat

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

LibertyCat posted:

Traffic shouldn't be held up by your stupid kids toy. I still can't believe that most states don't let you ride on the footpath. I'd like to see them restricted to only the footpath.

How were you raised? just so I can avoid raising a libertarian.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

LibertyCat posted:

Spoken like a true libertarian.

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
1 bike slows down what, 100 cars? Particularly with the new "you must leave a 1m gap" rule that often makes it impossible to overtake. One extra car won't delay traffic nearly as much as a bike. Less delays means less fossil fuel usage and air pollution.

What's the harm in riding on the footpath anyway? It's always worked fine in Qld.

e: One can oppose the freedom to have picnics on the freeway yet still generally support civil liberties.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

actually it's illegal in queensland and has been since the 90s

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Riding on a footpath is illegal in WA unless you're a child under 12

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

No matter wear you ride, wear a helmet. They save lives

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Negligent posted:

No matter wear you ride, wear a helmet. They save lives

Statist

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

thatbastardken posted:

actually it's illegal in queensland and has been since the 90s

nope!

quote:

Riding on a footpath or shared path

On footpaths and shared paths, you share the space with pedestrians.

You must:

keep left and give way to all pedestrians
always ride to the left of bicycle riders coming toward you.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

if you ride a statist, please wear a condom (or make sure the statist is)

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

LibertyCat posted:

e: One can oppose the freedom to have picnics on the freeway yet still generally support civil liberties.

Not while being a libertarian. It's up to the owner of the road and footpath to decide. You pinko.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
its pretty terrible to frame any kind of pro-uber argument in terms of customer convenience since that's not issue but while we're just listing all the loving garbage bullshit things taxi companies do, its complete loving rubbish that the cab companies in brisbane charge a % of the fare to pay on efptos imo and even though I'm pro-taxi, whether or not I have access to cash is pretty much the decisive factor in whether I catch a cab or an uber because gently caress that poo poo on a long fare

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

well gently caress me drunk.

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
it's funny how almost every other country in the world trusts adults to cycle without helmets, and often have vibrant cycling cultures, but here it's suddenly too dangerous.

I would honest to god vote greens if they repealed the helmet thing.

Like I'd still wear a helmet if I had to ride near traffic or in the Big Smoke, but a shitload of us don't live in cities. A 10 minute ride on the footpath has a ridiculously low risk. The government trusts me to go down to Bunnings and buy all manner of sharp dangerous toys, but a 5 minute ride without a bike helmet? Sorry mister that's just too dangerous.

LibertyCat fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Apr 21, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

LibertyCat posted:

it's funny how almost every other country in the world trusts adults to cycle without helmets, and often have vibrant cycling cultures, but here it's suddenly too dangerous.

I would honest to god vote greens if they repealed the helmet thing.

Maybe it's too dangerous here (or at least the reason we have a less vibrant cycling culture), because we have a culture of fuckwits like you who are disgusted by the idea of bikes sharing the road. :shrug:

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

helmets arent the reason why australia doesn't have a cycling culture

it's because australians are fat
e: and lazy

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Wasn't Cartoon almost single handedly responsible for bike helmets being mandatory in this country?

It certainly came as a surprise to me as to their being mandatory - in my country they're not.

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Maybe it's too dangerous here (or at least the reason we have a less vibrant cycling culture), because we have a culture of fuckwits like you who are disgusted by the idea of bikes sharing the road. :shrug:

What, exactly, is wrong with riding on the footpath where possible? You're way safer and won't hold up traffic. I'd take a collision between a pedestrian and a bike vs a bike and a truck any day.

I used to ride a ton and never had a problem with footpaths.

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

tithin posted:

Wasn't Cartoon almost single handedly responsible for bike helmets being mandatory in this country?

New forums arch-enemy acquired.

Cartoon I thought you were cool.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Personally I think it's probably a good idea to be wearing safety equipment when around Australians with dangerous equipment like cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

LibertyCat posted:

New forums arch-enemy acquired.

Cartoon I thought you were cool.

Like don't quote me on that, entirely when I say single handedly, but I definitely remember him talking about being on the initiation side of that policy - but not the specifics.

Also, Cartoon is pretty cool, and his avatars are hilarious.

I personally loved the sphinx one, props to whoever bought that for him

• Locked thread