Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Starting to get worried about the AI. Between the Soviet Union in the first WWW campaign and now France, it really hasn't looked too hot and made some pretty questionable choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
China getting taken out in 2 years by an unprepared Japan is pretty crazy. The AI needs a serious reworking.

It's not too say it's terrible or doomed, just seems like a Paradox title at launch. EUIV was pretty bad in that regard at launch and now it's pretty great.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Wiz is busy Making Space Great Again but it's okay because Stellaris comes out first so he'll have a month to fix the HOI4 AI before launch.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

vyelkin posted:

Wiz is busy Making Space Great Again but it's okay because Stellaris comes out first so he'll have a month to fix the HOI4 AI before launch.
Maybe, but hes also working on Victoria Universalis: Rome after Stellaris comes out so I wouldn't hold out too much hope.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

China getting taken out in 2 years by an unprepared Japan is pretty crazy. The AI needs a serious reworking.

It's not too say it's terrible or doomed, just seems like a Paradox title at launch. EUIV was pretty bad in that regard at launch and now it's pretty great.

I was pretty nonplussed by the earlier stream when a small army of German ubermenschen marched in a flat line across the width of Eurasia conquering all they encountered heedless of terrain and supply.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
No HOI game has actually been actually able to have french/Russian AI right. AI Germany should be able to get bogged down in the invasion of France, it shouldn't just be a blitz 100% of the time.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
On the bright side, if the AI is bad terrible players like me might be able to actually win :v:

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fuligin posted:

I was pretty nonplussed by the earlier stream when a small army of German ubermenschen marched in a flat line across the width of Eurasia conquering all they encountered heedless of terrain and supply.

Conquest snakes are a hallmark of Paradox games.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Conquest snakes are a hallmark of Paradox games.

Except that snake ran north to south and moved east. It was seriously disconcerting. Definitely puts the long delays for HoI4 in a new light.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

slavatuvs posted:

Found more details, pretty good estimate

It's really hard to sim cause if you just put the divisions on the map they'd get crashed or the mechanics to avoid it would be massively micro-intensive.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Panzeh posted:

It's really hard to sim cause if you just put the divisions on the map they'd get crashed or the mechanics to avoid it would be massively micro-intensive.

My point wasn't that they need to simulate every single division. It was that not having the ability for partisans to rise is ahistorical and that there were much bigger uprisings than "3 under-equipped divisions."

Plus, in WWW they mentioned governments in exile, what are they supposed to do if not take control of partisans like in HOI3.

ass struggle fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 20, 2016

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
There are partisans in HOI4, but only if the country is occupied, not annexed.

If the country is in exile there are rebels. IIRC.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Tuskin38 posted:

There are partisans in HOI4, but only if the country is occupied, not annexed.

If the country is in exile there are rebels. IIRC.

Can they occupy a province? From the stream it just looks like a production penalty.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Disregarding the somewhat schizo beta ai, I'm not sure if the national unity and victory point mechanic is going to be making for good gameplay in the full game. Maybe it's because most combat seems to resolve fairly quickly at the moment and countries can be overrun in days and weeks on the regular but it appears to me that high speed, deep advances with fast units could knock almost any country out and force unconditional surrender before the actual war is concluded in the field. Mind that that is a perfectly valid and time tested strategy in war but it seems to take a bit of the thunder out of it if every nation will immediately fold if you tag the pressure points.

Neobdragon
Jun 30, 2013
I think with most victory points being major Cities, the City terrain should have modifiers that support defense, especially in terms of delaying the speed of combat. On the whole, we're still seeing bugfixing, balancing and tweaks so many things could still change. We were complaining about guarantees last week and they've fixed that in just a week.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Yeah I'm not too worried. In truth I'm uncharacteristically hyped for Hoi4, I spent countless nights playing Hoi2 in multiplayer back when and this seems like it could be just as fun.

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

az posted:

Yeah I'm not too worried. In truth I'm uncharacteristically hyped for Hoi4, I spent countless nights playing Hoi2 in multiplayer back when and this seems like it could be just as fun.

The biggest problem with HOI2 is the drat out of sync errors that prevent you from playing multiplayer very long. As long as they fix that I will be happy.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

PhantomZero posted:

The biggest problem with HOI2 is the drat out of sync errors that prevent you from playing multiplayer very long. As long as they fix that I will be happy.

Modern Paradox games still have sync errors sometimes but it's nowhere near at the level it was back in the HOI2 days. Johan has made it pretty clear that a significant portion of their focus on EU4, HOI4, and Stellaris has been on the multiplayer experience.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Oh man, the forums are going to go ballistic over this

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

V for Vegas posted:

Oh man, the forums are going to go ballistic over this

Espionage ideas :kheldragar:

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

:dogbutton:

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
why?

"Man, I wish we could take over our neighbor, too bad we haven't discovered how to lie yet."

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
1609 :getin:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Exactly what problem does gating Fabricate Claim behind a tech level solve? And how does it not screw over the lowliest tech groups?

While I do absolutely love Paradox's constant development cycle, it's almost reaching a point with CK2 and specifically EU4 that they're just changing poo poo for the sake of changing it.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Well, I could see this not being too bad.

I could see this making religious ideas a much more important pick for a nation that wants to expand aggressively early on, provided it has infidel neighbours. I also think I've been seeing the border friction event that gives claims on neighbouring rivals firing much more frequently in the newest patch than I have before, so it would be more important to choose neighbouring rivals in order to expand. It would also make the trade conflict CB, the diplomaitc insult CB, and warning countries more important as well.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Putting claim fabrication in the espionage idea group would be cool actually, that way there will be a whole bunch of idea groups that allow different ways of expanding (religion, expansion and exploration)

So wars will have more narrative behind them than just grabbing land. As it stands I find myself just making claims on every adjacent non-ally on the off change I go to war with them.

Randarkman posted:

Well, I could see this not being too bad.

I could see this making religious ideas a much more important pick for a nation that wants to expand aggressively early on, provided it has infidel neighbours. I also think I've been seeing the border friction event that gives claims on neighbouring rivals firing much more frequently in the newest patch than I have before, so it would be more important to choose neighbouring rivals in order to expand. It would also make the trade conflict CB, the diplomaitc insult CB, and warning countries more important as well.

This too!

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Drone posted:

Exactly what problem does gating Fabricate Claim behind a tech level solve? And how does it not screw over the lowliest tech groups?

While I do absolutely love Paradox's constant development cycle, it's almost reaching a point with CK2 and specifically EU4 that they're just changing poo poo for the sake of changing it.

I am not 100% convinced it's not just a troll.

The only way it could possibly be fun was if it came with a major rework of Rivals/Missions/Events. Otherwise you might just as well use the 1605 start date, so you can actually loving play the game.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vmn9asN-8AE

Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

I've been having real awful dreams about giant apocalyptic machinery
just mowing us all down...

Drone posted:

I assume it's going to be accompanied by an array of other changes and will make sense in context. It's probably going to be a big patch built around fixing some of the incongruities between legacy Eu4/Eu3 stuff and post Eu4.5 stuff.

Just speculating, but I hope that in general CBs become more varied and dynamic. Fabricate Claim ad nauseum is kinda dull and doesn't make all that much sense thematically. Right now straight up conquering land is almost always the best use of resources, with other peace options mainly being tack-ons for when your warscore exceeds your MP.

Just the other day I found myself wishing for a "Liberate Allied Core" CB like Vicky 2.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

On the other hand, I would absolutely love a reworking of the lovely rival system. Also more ways in general that diplomacy between AI countries can be more fluid. Nothing is more annoying than looking forward to the day when your neighbor rival finally loses his alliance to France/Austria and then the alliance lives uninterrupted for 300 years. Extremely few alliances in actual history worked that way (the only one I can think of is the Anglo-Portuguese alliance, which was signed in 1373 and continues to this day.

Drone fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Apr 21, 2016

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Drone posted:

On the other hand, I would absolutely love a reworking of the lovely rival system. Also more ways in general that diplomacy between AI countries can be more fluid. Nothing is more annoying than looking forward to the day when your neighbor rival finally loses his alliance to France/Austria and then the alliance lives uninterrupted for 300 years. Extremely few alliances in actual history worked that way (the only one I can think of is the Anglo-Portuguese alliance, which was signed in 1373 and continues to this day.

I'd like them to also overhaul the economy so trade and goods are more involved.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
The next EU4 DLC will be one that adds Stellaris races to EU4 as portraits, models, names and so on, a completely random world generator with a choice of climate types, and the chance for aliens to come and directly interfere with the history of your planet.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Oh man, now I'm hoping that the alien invasion DLC I've been wishing for in HOI4 is really a Blorg Invasion Friendship-Making DLC.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I wouldn't mind late fabricating claims as an option, but by default it would screw over non-European teams so much. Even aside from how long it'd take them to unlock it they just get so many fewer scripted missions for conquest.

If they tie it as a diplo action to tech 1 it'll be really easy to mod which would be nice though.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Drone posted:

Oh man, now I'm hoping that the alien invasion DLC I've been wishing for in HOI4 is really a Blorg Invasion Friendship-Making DLC.
Blorgs arrive, all of Earth unites behind the Nazis who quickly tune their propaganda to be anti-trashbag.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Dark secret:

I may be casually working on a Blorg Invasion mod for CK2.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Drone posted:

They've reached that tipping point quite some time ago.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
This week's stellaris stream

https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive/v/61927498?t=13m23s

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

ArchangeI posted:

Starting to get worried about the AI. Between the Soviet Union in the first WWW campaign and now France, it really hasn't looked too hot and made some pretty questionable choices.

They apparently never use the current build for streams if that makes you feel any better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

They apparently never use the current build for streams if that makes you feel any better

Actually they say they always use the newest build, so...yeah. In the last stream they even reloaded to get a newer build.