Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Ragusa seems like a tough one. I tried an opening war with Albania and actually managed to take Albania, Montenegro, and a bunch of Bosnia. But i couldn't keep it, I was harsh treatment'ing again and again and eventually the Bosnian revolt was way too strong even after i went over my forcelimit. Ugh, I have to remember that provinces with 100% autonomy are 100% useless.

albania is a very bad idea, since that's an ottoman core, and they will eat you alive sooner than later if you have it. take a few years, build an army and ally with hungary (should be just barely possible at max relations), then promise them land for a war vs bosnia + serbia & take all of them except for the one province in the northwest of bosnia that hungary will want. (give that to them, of course.) you'll probably want to separate peace with serbia to conserve trust with hungary (allies don't care what you take in a separate peace, iirc?). vassalizing serbia instead of annexing them is reasonable, especially given they're all wrong-religion, and also given the core province limit for a merchant republic. (serbian land is not really worth keeping as core provinces if you can only have 20 cores!)

harsh treatment is very rarely a good idea. for revolts you can't beat, chase the rebels around in circles un-sieging whatever they siege down, and eventually some ai country or another will come through and crush your rebels for you. getting into a war alongside someone is a good way to get allies to do this.

only raise autonomy if you can actually prevent a revolt - there are too many bosnian provinces for this, and they're mostly wrong religion. otherwise, the revolt is coming sooner or later, and there's rarely much advantage to delaying it by a year or two. (and quite a lot of downside to another 25% autonomy!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Has anyone ever used Harsh Treatment

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
i used it much more with the old rebel system. new harsh treatment i've used... once? twice? I think it was useful at some point, maybe, somehow.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Only point I see of harsh treatment is if separatism/WE is going to tick down enough that you can keep peace after that. Otherwise it's a waste of points.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Any tips on how to kill a OPM emperor without angering the electors? My Spain has 4 electors supporting it, but 2 of them only barely (between +5 and +15 over Austria). Brandenburg lost all but it's capital during it's emperorship, so I could easily eat them up, but then I fear Austria will get voted onto the throne and I can't diplomatically compete with a large HRE nation from the outside.

I can't reliably wait for the current emperor to die, because he's as old as my own king and my heir is a woman, which the HRE won't accept yet.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I feel like the AI is going a little crazy with fortresses

I've been noticing this as well, the AI is just building big clumps of forts and it makes no sense.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

QuarkJets posted:

I've been noticing this as well, the AI is just building big clumps of forts and it makes no sense.
The AI is only paying for 5 of those forts so it probably is not bothering to delete old forts it has conquered.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Enjoy posted:

I use it if I know I can't fight the rebels, like I'm already in a big war or one just ended. Once my numbers are back up, go ahead and rebel you bitches!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Enjoy posted:

I found it quite useful in the early stages of my horde WC; if your armies are busy and out of position, paying to delay a revolt can be worth it.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Harsh treatment is useful in the very specific and rare situation where 1) you have plenty of mil points and 2) your army is totally out of position/just got owned/is otherwise unavailable. I use it maybe once every campaign or two.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
You pay MP when you absolutely have to declare war in the next few months (because the Ottomans just declared on *insert minor here* and your strategy revolves around sniping free provinces or delaying the Ottomans' expansion) and you either can't afford to have your army camping on rebellious provinces or can't afford the army loss from fighting the rebels.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

nimby posted:

Any tips on how to kill a OPM emperor without angering the electors? My Spain has 4 electors supporting it, but 2 of them only barely (between +5 and +15 over Austria). Brandenburg lost all but it's capital during it's emperorship, so I could easily eat them up, but then I fear Austria will get voted onto the throne and I can't diplomatically compete with a large HRE nation from the outside.

I can't reliably wait for the current emperor to die, because he's as old as my own king and my heir is a woman, which the HRE won't accept yet.
If you have an ally neighbouring their province you could maybe get them to take the province and AE penalty. Another option could be to beat them up and force them to cancel all their allies, which should make them very enticing to their neighbours.

Enjoy posted:

I use it when I'm in the period where I'm expanding rapidly, but I'm still relatively small. In those situations I may have only 1 army capable of defeating the rebel army, but like 5 or more potential revolts at 80-90%.

I used it quite a bit in my last game while westernizing when I often had 10 or more revolts in the 70-90% range.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

It may also be useful in those situations where you have like a year of Separatism left in a bunch of provinces but the rebellion counter is at 90%. You're always spending something, the choice here is between Mil points or Manpower + some ducats for reinforcement costs + the time spent moving that army around (which if you're a big empire like Ottomans might be considerable)

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
What's the AI's deal with letting allies use transports? I was the Netherlands supporting a French conquest of England. We already dealt with enemies on the continent, but our control of the channel was spotty. I wasn't keeping up with my navy, so I was pretty much out of the naval game, however, France had intermittent ability to send troops over the channel; they just didn't let me on. Was there some kind of calculation there, or does the AI just not check that box?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

When are we getting this patch that fixes the AI stupidity with MilTech?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Colonial Air Force posted:

When are we getting this patch that fixes the AI stupidity with MilTech?

What is the stupidity?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

This:

PittTheElder posted:

So apparently the AI got persuaded that at MIL4, its armies were 100 times better than someone at MIL3. And it has been ignoring the strength of subjects in it's declarations of war.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ai-declares-suicide-wars.920232/

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Randarkman posted:

So my game as Spain is going pretty well at the moment. Just slapped this PU on Burgundy and the odds look good for me being elected Emperor of the HRE in the near future.

I see a lot of people grab PUs on decently-sized nations, but it's never happened to me. Are there special missions for that, or is it just luck? Other than Poland/Lit, Autria/Hungary and Castile/Aragon, I've never managed it.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Sephyr posted:

I see a lot of people grab PUs on decently-sized nations, but it's never happened to me. Are there special missions for that, or is it just luck? Other than Poland/Lit, Autria/Hungary and Castile/Aragon, I've never managed it.

There is/was an Austria/Bohemia one as well. Yeah, I am always sort of looking for it, but it seems very rare. I can't think of the last time it happened that wasn't based on a mission/event.

edit:

Going for the Byz achievement at long last and decided maybe Mare Nostrum would be a nice one to get as well. Just checked the requirements and...oh, cool, I need all of France and Iberia:

Should be fun.

edit2:

Russia chose economic and maritime ideas. And you guys say the AI gets lots of advantages.

Tsyni fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 21, 2016

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Thought I was finally going to get African Power. So close but so far away :smith:

Songhai is a protectorate of Spain, who is allied with Austria and Mega-Commonwealth. Oh and also Mega-Commonwealth has Russia in a PU. :smithicide:

I've declared war but considering it's me and Burgundy vs half of Europe and Russia, I don't expect to win, let alone get enough warscore soon enough to demand and core all of Songhai and Spain's African colonies by the end of the game. The 8-year regency I just got stuck with didn't help either, but I don't think another 8 years would make a difference in the end (although I wouldn't have had to fight Russia as they were a vassal of Georgia at the time :psyduck:). In retrospect maybe I should have pushed harder into the Ivory Coast at the start to stop Spain from getting a protectorate, as I could have taken their colonial territories by declaring on their ally Portugal without dragging in Commonwealth etc. However in previous attempts I've found that pisses them off and gets me wardecced before I can handle it.

In conclusion gently caress protectorates.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Apr 21, 2016

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths
Fabricate CB to be locked behind diplotech according to Johhans twitter... :feelsgood:

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

Cuauhtlahtoani Ji Jzio Bzojj Chsaaxcejj was elected to office in Zapotec

(wasn't a popup or I'd have screenshotted, holey moley)

The question at hand is whether this is a real Zapotec name or the guy assigned to find Zapotec names wanted to go home early that day

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

8bitlawd posted:

Fabricate CB to be locked behind diplotech according to Johhans twitter... :feelsgood:

This can't be true.

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths

GreyPowerVan posted:

This can't be true.
https://twitter.com/producerjohan/status/723029100915359744
:prepop:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Could be tech 4, to prevent early game aggressions?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

THE BAR posted:

Could be tech 4, to prevent early game aggressions?

Hope you got western tech!

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Sephyr posted:

Nah, luck pretty much. They ended up with my dynasty around 1500 and towards the end of the century they ended up in a regency with a weak heir and I dropped the alliance immediately and claimed their throne, as the truce would expire one year before the regency ended, which meant I could declare war for their throne.

As of now (1702) I have integrated Burgundy, become Emperor and am now in the process of adding all of Spain and Italy to the HRE (just waiting on coring Provence).

e: Also I got an event that gave me an heir with a strong claim and the von Habsburg dynasty shoryly after getting the PU with Burgundy. Seemed really appropriate. That guy also became the first Spanish Emperor.

Elman posted:

Hope you got western tech!

Getting claims from the broder friction event and getting the diplomatic insult CB (either through events or being insulted) seems alot more common now with the new patch though. It's also fairly easy to get the trade conflict CB, either through covert ops (don't need espionage ideas) or just rivalling someone and waiting for them to embargo you. This would also make the religious idea group very important for nations that want to expand aggressively early on.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Apr 21, 2016

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

How in all the hells could the "we want your land" CB not be the most basic one in the game? :psyduck:

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
That idea is just dumb, it's the only non rng way to get into early wars for most nations. What would be the point of having to wait for Adm Tech 4 or some other bullshit, might as well move the start date up then.
Not to mention how it would gently caress over RoTW even more.

We are missing something here, there would have to be mechanic changes for this to work.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

johan or whoever decided this... is dumb

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Randarkman posted:

Getting claims from the broder friction event and getting the diplomatic insult CB (either through events or being insulted) seems alot more common now with the new patch though. It's also fairly easy to get the trade conflict CB, either through covert ops (don't need espionage ideas) or just rivalling someone and waiting for them to embargo you. This would also make the religious idea group very important for nations that want to expand aggressively early on.

Eh, I haven't noticed it enough to say that it's common, but here's hoping they up the frequency for claim events a touch anyways. Trade disputes are easy to get, but the latest patch removed the ability to annex land with the trade conflict CB. If the plan is to put it at dip 4 (which makes a lot of sense now that I think about it), then religious won't need to be a must-have idea set for anyone planning on expanding more than not at all.

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer
What's all of this nonsense about France blobbing into Iberia? :v:

Castile's capital is in Africa. Aragon and Leon are colonizing the new world.

Redchaostry
Nov 27, 2008
Hmm, not sure why my economy is so bad. Going for First Come, First Serve and I am negative during wars, and only at +30 per month with forts off, army and naval maintenance to minimum, and only running my colonists, not the extra 2-4 I need to run.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

8bitlawd posted:

what the gently caress why

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Odobenidae posted:

Eh, I haven't noticed it enough to say that it's common, but here's hoping they up the frequency for claim events a touch anyways. Trade disputes are easy to get, but the latest patch removed the ability to annex land with the trade conflict CB. If the plan is to put it at dip 4 (which makes a lot of sense now that I think about it), then religious won't need to be a must-have idea set for anyone planning on expanding more than not at all.

Maybe you can explain it then because it makes no sense at all to me. May as well lock Diplomats behind dip 4 and generals behind mil 7

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

jfc

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

QuarkJets posted:

May as well lock Diplomats behind dip 4 and generals behind mil 7

Now there's an idea!

(stop giving them ideas)

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Bundle of Keys posted:

What's all of this nonsense about France blobbing into Iberia? :v:

Castile's capital is in Africa. Aragon and Leon are colonizing the new world.

I don't know what's up with the AI recently. Vast empires seem to spring into existence in the space of decades and then evaporate in half the time. It's seriously hurting my enjoyment of the game.

I don't think it was nearly this bad in 1.14.

Redchaostry
Nov 27, 2008
Bleh, 1713, no way in hell of getting For Odin or First Come, First Serve. Oh well, off to another attempt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
Man I'm rusty. Before my hiatus I had a great Brandenburg to Prussia to Germany game. Now I'm struggling as France and Austria. How much AE can I get before getting jumped by the world? I'm having trouble finding a good blob tempo, or I need to learn more about diplo vassaling and feeding them or whatnot.

• Locked thread