Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ElmerTheWasabi posted:

Also, Dark Sister was actually Visenya's sword.

Aegon's sword was Blackfyre, which theoretically could still be held by the Golden Company who is rolling with fAegon.

Oh you're right, and considering I literally mentioned the Blackfyres in the same post, I should have remembered it. Actually, having Aegon I's sword would lend serious credibility to fAegon claim.

That reminds me, the cold opening where Tywin is watching them melt down Ice is one of my favorite scenes in the series. It's wordless, but you can tell how Tywin is just thinking "I have completely defeated the Starks, my line's ascension to the throne is complete. I have won". And then he takes an bolt to the stomach on the toilet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

TommyGun85 posted:

I think Arya is more of a Stark in her hotheadedness, much like Lyanna. Sansa is cliser to a Tully and makes stupid decisions like Cat.
That said, it's Sansa who is currently in the North (and later possibly dealing with Littlefinger/avenging Ned) while it's Arya who will be returning to the Riverlands (and avenging Cat).

One of my admittedly stupidest wishes for the final seasons is a Legolas/Gimli sort of scene between these two where they sisterly bond by smugly listing and outbidding each other on their kills.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Bloodraven probably still has Dark Sister, and will probably give it to Meera when White Walkers attack the cave.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Besides the Karstarks, it is mentioned in A Dance with Dragons that there were also the Greystarks, but they were destroyed when they joined with the Boltons to fight the Starks.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Love Crime posted:

I love Littlefinger because he's the character Gurm so desperately wished that Doran was. Turns out you can't just say a character is a strategic genius and then make people forget about virtually every plan he makes being laughably stupid.

If he'd given Doran one line on par with OF THE NIGHT we wouldn't be referring to Darkstar being the pinnacle of failed characterization.

How about this?

Doran posted:

Darkstar is the most dangerous man in Dorne.

ElmerTheWasabi posted:

Also, Dark Sister was actually Visenya's sword.

Aegon's sword was Blackfyre, which theoretically could still be held by the Golden Company who is rolling with fAegon.

I think it was in the suspiciously heavy treat box that Illyrio sent Aegon. Apparently in an earlier draft Tyrion overhears the word 'sword' in Valyrian and GRRM read this version at an event.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Don't the Lannisters of Lannisport and the Arryns of Gulltown count as client houses, even though their ancestors didn't change their names?

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Lycus posted:

Don't the Lannisters of Lannisport and the Arryns of Gulltown count as client houses, even though their ancestors didn't change their names?

Yes, I think most branch houses kept their original names in real life anyway. Even the Karstarks got that name because it was a nickname for the "Starks of Karhold".

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Yea, those are cadet branches, just like House Royce of the Moon Gate is a cadet of Royce of Runestone. There are actually a bunch of cadet branches of various houses, but most of them don't matter at all. We actually get to see one made when Jaime takes a bunch of land from the Tully's and gives it to the Freys, creating the Freys of Riverrun.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
We don't often think about them this way because of their roles in the story, but the Baratheons of Dragonstone and Storm's End would probably be considered branch houses as well.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013
The Baratheons were basically a cadet branch of the Targaryens anyway. They were founded by the half brother of Aegon the Conqueror, and they were the family of choice for the non-incestuous marriages of the Targaryens.

House Florent and House Tyrell were also both Cadet branches of House Gardener., the pre-conquest Kings of the Reach.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Ashcans posted:

Yea, those are cadet branches, just like House Royce of the Moon Gate is a cadet of Royce of Runestone. There are actually a bunch of cadet branches of various houses, but most of them don't matter at all. We actually get to see one made when Jaime takes a bunch of land from the Tully's and gives it to the Freys, creating the Freys of Riverrun.

Ohhhhh I want to see those freys swinging from trees. I hope fat old aunt lannister gets away though. She deserves better than freys.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 20, 2016

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Ashcans posted:

I like to think the Freys of Riverrun are not long for this world.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Ashcans posted:

I don't think most of the Houses are as vulnerable as they appear.

This is just a hunch but my idea has always been that ASOIAF specifically highlights the fragility of long-established feudal ruling castes and that most if not all Great Houses are on the way to being wiped out, paving the way for a new world order (though not necessarily a better one). The tv series highlights this even better than the novels. I mean, look at the situation of the Great Houses:

- Baratheon: no legitimate heir currently exists (yeah Gendry could be legitimized I guess, but by whom?)
- Lannister: Tyrion is marked for death and Jaime is barred from producing an heir
- Greyjoy: I suppose Euron could father an heir but that's an extremely thin thread to hang on to
- Stark: Rickon could come of age and have a kid but it's a long shot
- Arryn: As if Robin is going to ever father a child
- Tyrell: Loras is gay and unlikely to ever produce offspring
- Tully: paradoxically in the second-best position since Edmure is still alive and so is the Blackfish
- Targaryen: all hope rests on Dany getting a kid

Even the ascendant Houses (Baelish, Bolton, Frey) have their own dead-ends. For Littlefinger it's the simple fact he hasn't produced an heir of his own, for the Boltons it's Ramsay cannibalizing everyone in his path and for the Freys is quite simply too much internal competition + too many people willing to take them out wholesale.

Some of these Houses could ensue continuation through female heirs (Sansa, Margaery, Asha/Yara), as with House Targaryen, but it would invariably introduce a lot of changes to the political landscape of Westeros that would make the make-up of society quite different. Even Tyrion, who may reclaim his position as the heir to House Lannister, would likely introduce a lot of political changes if he got there.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The Tyrells are actually better in the books because Loras has like 3 other brothers that never leave Highgarden. But other than that yeah it's kind of a fragile situation.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
I don't know what you guys mean when you say the Baratheon line has died off; Tommen Baratheon is alive and well :colbert:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

TommyGun85 posted:

Maise Williams straight up asked the show runners if Syrio was still alive and they told her he's dead and to basically get over it.

If she phrased it as "You know that sword teacher guy who taught Arya how to swordfight? What if he was actually a faceless man in disguise and he was Jaquen the entire time?" she would have gotten to write the episode where that was revealed.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

The house extinction that most saddens me in this series was that of House Cassel. They were probably the most loyal house we've seen, and were the most trusted house of the Starks. Martyn was part of Ned's personal guard and was killed at the Tower of Joy. His only surviving son ended up following in his father's footsteps, becoming Ned's number one man until he was murdered by Jaime Lannister in the streets of King's Landing. Rodrik Cassel, Martyn's brother, is murdered by Theon, a ward he raised and trained from childhood. His only surviving daughter is a prisoner at the Dreadfort, which as we all know is probably a fate worse than death.

They served the Starks as faithfully and as effectively as could be expected in this world and all they got for it was treachery and death.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.

meristem posted:

One of my admittedly stupidest wishes for the final seasons is a Legolas/Gimli sort of scene between these two where they sisterly bond by smugly listing and outbidding each other on their kills.

Mine is more like this:

Arya is really good at killing but picks terrible targets.
Sansa knows exactly who the most effective target would be.

Sansa and Arya teamed up would rule Westeros inside a month.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

the jizz taxi posted:

This is just a hunch but my idea has always been that ASOIAF specifically highlights the fragility of long-established feudal ruling castes and that most if not all Great Houses are on the way to being wiped out, paving the way for a new world order (though not necessarily a better one). The tv series highlights this even better than the novels. I mean, look at the situation of the Great Houses:

- Baratheon: no legitimate heir currently exists (yeah Gendry could be legitimized I guess, but by whom?)
- Lannister: Tyrion is marked for death and Jaime is barred from producing an heir
- Greyjoy: I suppose Euron could father an heir but that's an extremely thin thread to hang on to
- Stark: Rickon could come of age and have a kid but it's a long shot
- Arryn: As if Robin is going to ever father a child
- Tyrell: Loras is gay and unlikely to ever produce offspring
- Tully: paradoxically in the second-best position since Edmure is still alive and so is the Blackfish
- Targaryen: all hope rests on Dany getting a kid

Even the ascendant Houses (Baelish, Bolton, Frey) have their own dead-ends. For Littlefinger it's the simple fact he hasn't produced an heir of his own, for the Boltons it's Ramsay cannibalizing everyone in his path and for the Freys is quite simply too much internal competition + too many people willing to take them out wholesale.

Some of these Houses could ensue continuation through female heirs (Sansa, Margaery, Asha/Yara), as with House Targaryen, but it would invariably introduce a lot of changes to the political landscape of Westeros that would make the make-up of society quite different. Even Tyrion, who may reclaim his position as the heir to House Lannister, would likely introduce a lot of political changes if he got there.

The TV show kind of hosed this a little bit, by omitting characters and killing some off but the situation isn't fantastic but it's not that dire

Lannister: Kevan's son Martyn is still alive and was delivered to forces at the Golden Tooth, it's presumed he's at Casterly Rock and with Tyrion in exile and kevan not in the picture he's the heir
Baratheon: in the books again Shireen is still alive and Edric is safely spirited away. Likely kind of boned.
Greyjoy: Victarion and Euron could both father children, there's also damphair who feasibly could renounce his vows and Asha.
Stark: Rickon, Arya, Sansa and potentially Jon could be starks and produce heirs
Arryn: hosed, if not by his nature, likely by poisoning with his "medicine" for seizures. Harry the heir all but confirmed
Tyrell: Loras is a kingsguard and a gay, has two older brothers one of whom is already married, the other is the 2nd born and has a lame leg, but would still attract a good match - they're pretty much safe as houses since at least one heir is kicking it in highgarden (Garland and Willas)
Tully: Heir already on the way, though it's assumed he'll be a hostage and more frey than not. Blackfish is also still knockin' about somewhere and could produce
Targaryen: In a bit of strife since Dany is barren and Jon is either not rezzed or could declare himself stark, line of lineage through the baratheons also hosed. Depends on fAegon and Arianne too
Martell: 2 currently living heirs.

Yeah there's a couple of potential issues there and some more precarious than others, but none of them except the Arryns are proper hosed. The show likes killing people they shouldn't.

BlindSite fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 21, 2016

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

God Hole posted:

The house extinction that most saddens me in this series was that of House Cassel. They were probably the most loyal house we've seen, and were the most trusted house of the Starks. Martyn was part of Ned's personal guard and was killed at the Tower of Joy. His only surviving son ended up following in his father's footsteps, becoming Ned's number one man until he was murdered by Jaime Lannister in the streets of King's Landing. Rodrik Cassel, Martyn's brother, is murdered by Theon, a ward he raised and trained from childhood. His only surviving daughter is a prisoner at the Dreadfort, which as we all know is probably a fate worse than death.

They served the Starks as faithfully and as effectively as could be expected in this world and all they got for it was treachery and death.

House Mallister is my favourite under mentioned house. Bad rear end motherfuckers right there their head of house threw back an ironborn incursion and killed the ironborn heir, then did some bad rear end poo poo for rob and survived the red wedding.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

God Hole posted:

Cassels fought valiantly, Cassels fought nobly, Cassels fought honorably. And Cassels died.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I'm predicting, based on the preview chapter, that Lyn Corbray is going to kill Harry the Heir to spite Littlefinger. So I think House Arryn really might be extinguished completely.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

BlindSite posted:

Targaryen: In a bit of strife since Dany is barren and

Dany isn't barren. She either miscarries or has a period during that "making GBS threads in the grass" chapter we all love so much.

I'm also going to make two bold predictions:
- Harry the Heir will amount to exactly nothing and Sansa will inherit the Vale directly
- None of the remaining Stark children will ever meet again in person (in the books)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I heard the guy who plays Greyworm on a podcast, and he let slip two key pieces of info:

1. Greyworm has a dick, but no balls.
2. That's the only thing anyone ever wants to talk to him about when he meets fans

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

PostNouveau posted:

I heard the guy who plays Greyworm on a podcast, and he let slip two key pieces of info:

1. Greyworm has a dick, but no balls.
2. That's the only thing anyone ever wants to talk to him about when he meets fans

That kind of seems the opposite what you would do if you wanted a big strong fighting force.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Well we all saw where Barristan's balls got him.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I don't know about you guys but I'm hyped as gently caress!

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

credit to Nasboat for making the original it's always sunny gif which I defaced

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Maybe that's what happened to Season 5 originally and what we're seeing is the cobbled-together pieces of it after it got shattered.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

That kind of seems the opposite what you would do if you wanted a big strong fighting force.

They touch on this in the books: the Unsullied do tend to be shorter and less muscular than a similar Westerosi soldier, but the strictness of their training and discipline is what makes them so feared. Castration might make them smaller, but it stops them from having normal lives which could distract them from being single-minded killing machines.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Has anyone tried the new Game of Thrones beer? http://www.ommegang.com/got/seven_kingdoms.php

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

neckbeard posted:

Has anyone tried the new Game of Thrones beer? http://www.ommegang.com/got/seven_kingdoms.php

I got one, going to drink it at the viewing party I'm going to Sunday. Hoping it's good!

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
For the record, Loras being gay has nothing to do with whether or not he'll get married or have an heir. Presuming he survived dragonstone, there's a reasonable chance he'll be married off, and there's a decent chance that the marriage will produce sons or daughters. Whether as a result of Loras "doing his duty" or extra-marital copulation.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

Zotix posted:

Since this is the only GoT thread that I see for right now, and we don't have an official S6E1 thread, is anyone interested in doing a fantasy league this season? http://fantasora.com/game/1/season/7

Goddammit, I got Olly. <:mad:>

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016

CountFosco posted:

For the record, Loras being gay has nothing to do with whether or not he'll get married or have an heir. Presuming he survived dragonstone, there's a reasonable chance he'll be married off, and there's a decent chance that the marriage will produce sons or daughters. Whether as a result of Loras "doing his duty" or extra-marital copulation.

If he actually did get boiling tar dumped on him people need to have that marine marriage picture on standby.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

CountFosco posted:

Agreed. Marcus Aurelius, who hated sex and likely disliked his wife, fathered 13 children out of a sense of duty.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Loras in the books is a member of the Kingsguard and has two older brothers. It's highly unlikely he'll be fathering any heirs, and that's actually the opposite of what his duty is supposed to be.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

CountFosco posted:

That could actually end up being an interesting plot point (heir to Highgarden isn't actually the heir because the father was a donor). But let's try to wrap up the main plot first.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
This is my first year having HBO Go. I live in the Pacific time zone - is anyone familiar with what time the episodes come available on the app?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It'd be funny if Gendry came back in the show and was legitimized as the new head of House Baratheon at some post-downfall-of-the-Lannisters point, since he's the only surviving one of Robert's bastards in the show. I mean, probably not, since if he was recognized as an heir to Robert then presto-surprise that's also a claim on the Iron Throne, also because he's a regular blacksmithing dude who doesn't want to rule anything (assuming there's anything left of House Baratheon to rule, we've never seen the Stormlands). I can imagine the show will just never acknowledge the Storm Lands or explain who runs them again.

On the topic of heirs, if Jon really is taking it to the Boltons this season does that mean he's claiming the mantle of Lord Stark? His formal claim is pretty weak (even laying aside his actual parentage) but if he's at least known then maybe that'll be enough to rally the other Northerners. Interesting the Mormonts are on his side, might be that they heard how close he and the late Lord-Commander Mormont were. The Hornwoods are presumably just "Generic pro-Stark Northern House", while the Karstarks have bad blood from Rob executing Rickard and I guess the Umbers are the surprise twist since the Greatjon (if anyone remembers him) was pro-Stark so his son turning over Rickon is unexpected.

Jon's big secret heritage as both a Stark and a Targ is mostly talked about in terms of him being a contender for the Iron Throne, but if he survives the series could he "settle" for just being King in the North or Warden of the North under whoever holds the Iron Throne? He's not really suited to be a Southern King and it's hard to imagine him pressing his claim against Dany or anyone else. I could imagine the series ending with him rebuilding Winterfell.

Edit: if they go into the reason for why the Umbers side against Jon, my guesses will be either the Smalljon blames the Starks for his father dying fighting for Rob or he's mad that Jon is siding with the Wildlings. Or both.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 21, 2016

• Locked thread