Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
That is awesomely terrible :aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
A couple of optional bosses in Bravely Second have unique boss themes, despite being otherwise normal bosses, and it's pretty great to just have that treatment come out of nowhere.

One of the sidequests is to settle an argument between the Performer and Pirate job-holders over who gets the rights to a recently-discovered piece by a classic composer. It's already pretty great in how silly it is, but then you get to the boss fight of whoever you disagreed with and their boss theme is their rendition of it; either a slow and soulful ballad by a deep-voiced man, or a cheap and tacky J-Pop track.

But I think my favorite is the one that gets a boss theme from Bravely Default. But barely gets to play it, because a guest party member keeps hijacking the soundtrack during his special moves.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Yoel probably, Orbeck's in Farron.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Tarantula posted:

Somebody put a message in front of the fire keeper lady in dark souls 3 that said try emoting, so I did the welcome one and i'll be damned she has a bunch of reactions to your emotions/gestures.

Haha dope the same thing was in Bloodborne too where clapping for the doll would cause her to clap back at you

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above
Everything I wanted to say about DS3 has already been said probably, but I gotta say, I love all the new weapon mechanics. A lot of the skills are really interesting and allow for more interesting and fun battles than the previous games. I'm currently going through Catacombs with the Farron Greatsword. I loving love this thing. Just flipping around all over the place with a giant loving sword. I'm not even upset when using it sends me careening to my death in the Catacombs' bottomless pits

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above

after you get lifted up to the bridge by the flying gargoyle guys and you get to the area where a group of dogs come out a portcullis and start attacking the hollows on the bridge, turn around and go back through the other big doorway to where a bunch of those turtle-shell people are. One of them's alive. He'll join your shrine and sell you sorceries. He also gives you a free level up

I'm actually upset about him because the last time I went to my Firelink and went to talk to him he was dead. I don't know if it was an npc or if it was something to do with him specifically cuz he talks about not dying like he was supposed to. I liked him :(

e: oops, didn't mean to doublepost

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Indigo Cephalopods posted:

I'm actually upset about him because the last time I went to my Firelink and went to talk to him he was dead. I don't know if it was an npc or if it was something to do with him specifically cuz he talks about not dying like he was supposed to. I liked him :(

That happened to me as well. I dunno if there's someone I need to look out for but my hub has been mostly empty.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

Action Tortoise posted:

That happened to me as well. I dunno if there's someone I need to look out for but my hub has been mostly empty.

Indigo Cephalopods posted:

after you get lifted up to the bridge by the flying gargoyle guys and you get to the area where a group of dogs come out a portcullis and start attacking the hollows on the bridge, turn around and go back through the other big doorway to where a bunch of those turtle-shell people are. One of them's alive. He'll join your shrine and sell you sorceries. He also gives you a free level up

Neither of you missed anything, you just didn't really pay any attention to his dialogue. All he wanted was a new purpose. You gave him that purpose. And, if you allow him to gift you all five free levels, he has fulfilled that purpose, so he dies. The lady who shows up and stands near his body kinda tells you as much. But yeah, he always dies after you get five levels from him. I think he even has a bit of dialogue after the last level about how you'll just have to see what happens next....

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

In my first playthrough Yoel died at the same time as Leonhard left so I thought Leonhard was a Yurt-like character. Also, I only got three free level ups from Yoel...

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above

Samfucius posted:

Neither of you missed anything, you just didn't really pay any attention to his dialogue. All he wanted was a new purpose. You gave him that purpose. And, if you allow him to gift you all five free levels, he has fulfilled that purpose, so he dies. The lady who shows up and stands near his body kinda tells you as much. But yeah, he always dies after you get five levels from him. I think he even has a bit of dialogue after the last level about how you'll just have to see what happens next....

I only got one level from him, though. :confused:

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Yoel dies when you reach the Catacombs no matter what happens, so you gotta take those 5 free levels to advance his questline before then.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

pulp rag posted:

Yoel dies when you reach the Catacombs no matter what happens, so you gotta take those 5 free levels to advance his questline before then.

ok, this makes more sense bc I never found him in the shrine until after he died

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

pulp rag posted:

And the lady that shows up will not deal with you if you heal your Dark Sign.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Ah I know who Yoel is, it's just that "travelling sorcerer = pilgrim" didn't click for me.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

So America vs rest of world?

Little thing I like in sleeping dogs is running over parking meters gives you cash.

I think that was one of the things he got yelled at for in the beginning of the Year of the Snake DLC.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I had a goofy Dark Souls 3 moment yesterday. I was in a room with a big fire breathing miniboss Demon and a Mimic chest. I really wasn't looking forward to fighting the demon because those things can be kind of tough but luckily it turned out I didn't have to as his fire breath ended up hitting the Mimic. Cue the Mimic running down to the demon and beating the hell out of it, killing it without ever taking damage.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

muscles like this? posted:

I had a goofy Dark Souls 3 moment yesterday. I was in a room with a big fire breathing miniboss Demon and a Mimic chest. I really wasn't looking forward to fighting the demon because those things can be kind of tough but luckily it turned out I didn't have to as his fire breath ended up hitting the Mimic. Cue the Mimic running down to the demon and beating the hell out of it, killing it without ever taking damage.

Mimics are beastly. I've been avoiding the first one I found just because that thing hits like a truck.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Len posted:

Mimics are beastly. I've been avoiding the first one I found just because that thing hits like a truck.

You can get items from mimics easily by throwing an Undead Hunter Charm (the Lloyd Talisman-analog that prevents estus recovery in an area) at them

Not really a spoiler but not something you'd find out on your own, probably. Just be ready for the :aaa:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

counter to the idea of the thread, but:

i finally started playing Europa Universalis IV. I spent several hours as the Aztecs with the goal of going Pastwatch on Europe.

turns out you can't make boats at all without "westernizing" if you're using a native american tech progression, okay, my fault for not properly investigating the feasibility or whatever even though that's an incredibly stupid restriction

so i did it again with a custom aztec empire using the chinese tech progression (as suggested by the internet) and it took my whole computer down with a blue screen when I finally pulled everything together and attempted to make the first step into invading portugal.

probably my fault somewhere along the line what with the memory editing to tech up

stringless has a new favorite as of 14:38 on Apr 21, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I think my two favorite little touches in DS3 so far are that if you try to infuse the Dark Sword with dark it becomes the Reinforced Dark Sword and not the Dark Dark Sword, and that there is a silver knight staring at a painting of Gwynevere instead of doing his job.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
In the new Ratchet and Clank remake, anyone and everything dances if you lob a Groovitron at them. Including the weapon vendor consoles :allears:.

The Groovitron is a beautiful thing in of itself; It 's a mini disco ball that gets thrown like a grenade before floating up into the air and causing every enemy within its area of effect to break out into sweet dance moves, leaving them helpless to your other weapons while they strut their funky stuff.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

In the new Ratchet and Clank remake, anyone and everything dances if you lob a Groovitron at them. Including the weapon vendor consoles :allears:.

The Groovitron is a beautiful thing in of itself; It 's a mini disco ball that gets thrown like a grenade before floating up into the air and causing every enemy within its area of effect to break out into sweet dance moves, leaving them helpless to your other weapons while they strut their funky stuff.

Everyone including Ratchet :coolspot:.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Blizzard's Hearthstone has had the following card since day one.

For those who don't play the game, it costs 3 mana has 5 attack and 1 health. It's not a good card, since that one point of health means it's going to die to pretty much everything and make no impact (it can't attack on the turn it is summoned). In fact, there even was statistical data from the developer that it was the worst card in the game (a dubious honor it had for a loooong time).

They ended up adding this card to The Grand Tournament expansion.

It's flavor text is "He's a lot cooler than Magma Rager" to drive the point further home (and even this superior card is rarely ever played).

They are close to releasing another expansion which features some "corrupted" versions of existing cards. Today they revealed this card.

:allears:

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 19:34 on Apr 21, 2016

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
In one of the single-player adventures in Hearthstone there's a thief boss whose gimmick the first time you fight him is that he steals the deck you built to fight against him and uses it against you (and you have a middling deck provided for you instead). This is pretty unique, and obviously leads to you building as lovely of a deck as you can for him to play so you can win. He has just two special quotes for the fight:

- if you bring an all-golden deck (think foils/holographic cards in physical decks, basically a cosmetic upgrade that requires a lot of time/money), he's really surprised and says your collection rivals his own
- but if you put a magma rager in, he heckles you for doing so.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Haha, I totally forgot about that. Poor ol' Magma Rager, forever useless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lrMe_nOvsg&t=8s

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's the funniest thing about Mr Zerkon in the previous games. He'll keep fighting, ignoring the influence of the groovitron (or whatever it was called then), and then dance sarcastically when the battle is over.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
I like the new Ratchet and Clank, but it's such a kid's game I feel ashamed playing it.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Kontradaz posted:

I like the new Ratchet and Clank, but it's such a kid's game I feel ashamed playing it.

There are 67k+ posts in the Pokemon thread that says you shouldn't feel so bad.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kontradaz posted:

Quit being such a bitch and enjoy yourself.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Kontradaz posted:

I feel ashamed for you.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Alteisen posted:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
All video games are for children.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The one thing that matters in this reboot is you can strafe right?

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The one thing that matters in this reboot is you can strafe right?

You can also go left!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

suuma posted:

You can get items from mimics easily by throwing an Undead Hunter Charm (the Lloyd Talisman-analog that prevents estus recovery in an area) at them

Not really a spoiler but not something you'd find out on your own, probably. Just be ready for the :aaa:

But I want his sweet sweet souls

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Alteisen posted:

I think this is the first time Alteisen and I have ever agreed.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/GUYHXsb.mp4

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I can hear the Benny Hill theme.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Playing Enslaved and while some of the translations of Journey to the West from fantasy in ancient China to sci-fi in post-apocalyptic America are a little wonky or hamfisted (slavery being casually used as a plot device, Monkey's flying cloud being a hoverboard) the way they get around him having a tail by having part of his outfit be a long belt/sash trailing behind him that they animate to look like a monkey's tail as it's flapping behind you is cute and appropriately subtle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah it's p cool, they did the same thing in MGS5 for big boss to give him a little demon tail to match his demon horn.