Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
What we need is for C and D to simultaneously trade costumes and jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Actually speaking of Pallet swaps, I kind of had an idea for one.

I kind of feel that Laura's wolverine costume could do with something to more visually distinguish her from Logan-as-Wolverine. Now, over in another thread someone posted that sequence of Mojo doing 'tryouts' for replacement X-Men, with a Female Wolverine in the Brown-and-Tan. So I think the basic costume as it stands is good, but just changing the colours would do a long way. Now, I can't remember where I saw it (I think it was another thread here on SA), but someone posted an infographic of various (Old) Wolverine costumes, and it had a nice Orange-and-Black number from the first two series of X-Men Evolution. Adopting that colour scheme seems like it would be a neat take - since it's a much lesser known version of Logan's costume (so it can become associated with Laura directly, kind of like how Spider-Girl pretty much made Ben Reilly's Spider-Man suit 'her' costume), as well as having a connection to her out-of-universe origin.

Edit: Found it, it was over in the CineD comic movie thread.

Here's the full chart for reference:

And here's my comparison of the evolution suit to Laura's current costume:

If you want in-universe justification you could refer back to the fact that Orange & Black were her colours in ANXM.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Apr 21, 2016

eminkey2003
Oct 11, 2009

I really like Suicide Squad's Joker (maybe not the tattoos and pimp outfit). It's freaky and hip and fun. But I can't stand this Harley. The heels, the shorts. Ugh. The color scheme is cool though.

Also sick of this basketball skin that every movie has now. It's like the designers thought, "how do we make this hi-def?"

eminkey2003 fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 21, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They add the texture because flat outfits look mostly horrible on real people.

Luchacabra
Jun 12, 2015

Wait a minute, that write-up for 80's brown costume Wolverine says Byrne removed the flesh-colored sleeves from the original costume.

Was flesh-colored sleeves always a thing, or was it just some sort of retcon to explain why Byrne's rendition of Logan looked different?

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Ah, the 1977 "Fang" costume - now I understand WTF was going on with this outfit.

(From the story arc where Marvel Girl (Rachel Grey/Summers) got mindcontrolled into turning herself into a dinosaur. Specific book/issues not readily at hand.)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Ygolonac posted:

Ah, the 1977 "Fang" costume - now I understand WTF was going on with this outfit.

(From the story arc where Marvel Girl (Rachel Grey/Summers) got mindcontrolled into turning herself into a dinosaur. Specific book/issues not readily at hand.)
Claremont's 2000s run on Uncanny, I think.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ygolonac posted:

He took it off one of the Shi'ar imperial guardsmen.

I understand you want to put some clothes on when you're naked and in the middle of a big fight, but that seems like a lot of work. Is there a zipper? Or is the neck hole just so stretchy that everything goes in there?

prefect fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Apr 21, 2016

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

It depends.

It's hard for me to not feel like on screen Supermen are falling short to Reeve. It's not that I even love those movies, but look at this man. The costume has its flaws and might look cheap to some, but he definitely fills it out well.

Similarly, I really thought despite being intentionally goofy looking, Dollar Bill in the Watchmen film looked pretty great.

The new Spider-Man costume also honestly looks like the best take on that costume yet. But Spider-Man has translated surprisingly well to screen in almost all of his incarnations.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Spider-Man started the basketball texture trend, way back in 2001 or whenever that movie came out, with its raised rubber webs that a broke high school student somehow made in his bedroom.

Reeve is still the best Superman by a long shot. He can pull off an otherwise cheesy outfit with sheer earnestness and an imposing physique. You're not gonna make fun of his costume, are you? His mom made it for him. Don't be a dick. He looks like a Curt Swan drawing brought to life, perhaps through Cool World style magics.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

If you think kids today would agree that Reeve's costume is better you're foolin yourself.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

eminkey2003 posted:

I really like Suicide Squad's Joker (maybe not the tattoos and pimp outfit). It's freaky and hip and fun. But I can't stand this Harley. The heels, the shorts. Ugh. The color scheme is cool though.

Both Joker and Harley are terrible. They look more like Chavs than anything I'd be scared of.

Seriously, I look at the two of them and my first thought is "oh god, my Facebook is going to be swamped with STDH stories and 'I cheated on her/him and they called me out on it! How dare they!' crap.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Travis343 posted:

Reeve is still the best Superman by a long shot. He can pull off an otherwise cheesy outfit with sheer earnestness and an imposing physique. You're not gonna make fun of his costume, are you? His mom made it for him. Don't be a dick. He looks like a Curt Swan drawing brought to life, perhaps through Cool World style magics.

Reeve's outfit fits in well with the tone and production design of the film he's in. I'm not sure how well basketball texture would even show up on 70s film stock, honestly. Similarly, very flat textures on modern, high def movie footage would, I think, look very different than they do in the 70s/80s Superman films.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I've honestly just been struggling to see Leto's Joker mesh with Affleck's Batman.They just don't look like they'd visually pair well together.

Chinaman7000 posted:

If you think kids today would agree that Reeve's costume is better you're foolin yourself.
I think that's a bit presumptuous. The point isn't really if Reeves' costume would work today, it's that a flatter fabric costume can work. Both Reeves' Superman and Dollar Bill fit great. They don't do what Adam West's costume did which was make him look fat when he was rocking a pretty great body in the day.

I will say that I think Reeves just looks better in his suit than Cavill looks in his own. Cavill looks like this loving adonis outside of his suit, but the actual Superman suit doesn't really compliment his body. He often looks oddly squat in it.

I do think on screen costumes do require some level of texture. The Dollar Bill costume works for me because the fabric lacks the cheapness and costumey-ness of Superman's costume. I feel like I could easily rip Reeve's costume and his belt probably feels like foam. Dollar Bill's costume looks like it has some heft to the fabric. And the Spider-Man costume is mostly flat as well, but has a modern sleekness to it.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Apr 21, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Joker and Batman aren't supposed to pair visually. That's why he's a green haired clown in a purple suit.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
I'll take basketball-skin over patch-work leather (Affleck-Daredevil, X-men, etc) any day.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Travis343 posted:

Spider-Man started the basketball texture trend, way back in 2001 or whenever that movie came out, with its raised rubber webs that a broke high school student somehow made in his bedroom.

Just a few years before that film came out there was a minor popularity boom in tubes* of rubber fabric paint in various colors that had a similar raised look to them when it dried. Grade-through-high school kids used them on clothes a lot just to handwrite words and pictures and what not. I always sort of took that webbing stuff was something like that. Besides, Peter had both zero social life and had the WHOLE SUMMER to put that thing together.

(*not to be confused with boom tubes)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Aphrodite posted:

See 90% of people on the internet thinking Spidey from Civil War is a CG character because his flat spandex outfit looks weird.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Lurdiak posted:

See 90% of people on the internet thinking Spidey from Civil War is a CG character because his flat spandex outfit looks weird.

I think part of that is that the webbing on the costume is so faint. You can barely see it.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Ygolonac posted:

Wait, what?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Did you miss the following post mentioning it was a Claremont story?

:v:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They controller her mind, body...AND SOUL.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Chinaman7000 posted:

Kids are loving stupid.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Surprise, the Phoenix Host isn't quite unstoppably telepathic! However, if you can con her into believing she's actually an evolved dinosaur, her telekinesis is boss enough to *edit her own DNA on the fly* to cause the physical changes to occur!

Can't recall how quickly it worked, but she was visibly transforming as the story shambled along.

Ygolonac fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 21, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

10 Beers posted:

I think part of that is that the webbing on the costume is so faint. You can barely see it.

That's part internet video compression though. Plus on the International Trailer it's much more pronounced.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

X-O posted:

That's part internet video compression though. Plus on the International Trailer it's much more pronounced.

So the takeaway is: The Internet Ruins Everything.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Joker and Batman aren't supposed to pair visually. That's why he's a green haired clown in a purple suit.
I mean that i'm having trouble seeing Leto's Joker and Affleck's Batman exist in the same space.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Ygolonac posted:

Surprise, the Phoenix Host isn't quite unstoppably telepathic! However, if you can con her into believing she's actually an evolved dinosaur, her telekinesis is boss enough to *edit her own DNA on the fly* to cause the physical changes to occur!

Can't recall how quickly it worked, but she was visibly transforming as the story shambled along.

This sounds too unbelievably dumb to not read, I need to find this. Did she make it to full-on T-Rex before being cruelly reverted to a human, or was it just dinoperson Rachel?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Timeless Appeal posted:

I mean that i'm having trouble seeing Leto's Joker and Affleck's Batman exist in the same space.

I agree, they look like they were designed and made for entirely different franchises. Having a jarring, distinct visual difference between a protagonist and an antagonist is one thing, but it's obvious that there was zero communication between the Batman v Superman costume design crew and the Suicide Squad design crew. It looks about as weird as if Captain America were to show up in Batman v Superman, all bright colors and patriotism and believing in Truth and Justice and the American Way.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Jokers going to look so good on screen watching Batman murder his mooks.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

The Lord of Hats posted:

This sounds too unbelievably dumb to not read, I need to find this. Did she make it to full-on T-Rex before being cruelly reverted to a human, or was it just dinoperson Rachel?

:itwaspoo:

I don't know what I expected.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

The Lord of Hats posted:

:itwaspoo:

I don't know what I expected.
Somehow wrestling this back towards the topic...

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
More prominent, raised webbing and larger eyes make for a better movie Spiderman costume. However the bionic size changing eyes are a nice touch for the ken burns' civil war Spiderman.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I've honestly just been struggling to see Leto's Joker mesh with Affleck's Batman.They just don't look like they'd visually pair well together.
You're right. Leto is meant to be paired with Bale Batman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzN3qO-qc8U

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

These are some pretty rad X-Men costumes.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Not only are they pretty rad, they should've been used anyway! Most of the X-Men don't have super durability, they'd need coats and stuff in cold environments and they live in New York, come on.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Gambit looks appropriately bummed to be a Louisiana native stuck in a world of permanent cold.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

McSpanky posted:

Not only are they pretty rad, they should've been used anyway! Most of the X-Men don't have super durability, they'd need coats and stuff in cold environments and they live in New York, come on.

Still doesn't top Paolo Rivera's Winter Gear Spider-Man.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Logan's a Canuck, we don't change back into long pants and shirtsleeves until it hits at least ten below

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Storm can control the weather, she can just create a local warm area so she can wear whatever she wants. Along with a slight breeze to make the Mohawk wave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

CannonFodder posted:

Storm can control the weather, she can just create a local warm area so she can wear whatever she wants. Along with a slight breeze to make the Mohawk wave.

Except this is supposed to be a cataclysmic ice age. So she'd have to do doing it, like, all of the time.

Apparently in the original story she'd be the one to unfuck the climate, but she'd die in the process.

• Locked thread