Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010
Got my used engine in my 98 540i. I think the EWS has lost the key code. I have a valet key and an old original remote key that was broken. Son cannot find the key that I had programmed at dealership.

The old remote key does not power the locks. It also won't start the car. I get radio, all lights, etc. but not so much as a click out of the starter. Battery in car and remote are both good. I tried to reinitialize the old key, no luck. Pulled and checked the immobilizer and alarm fuses, they are fine.

I am thinking EWS. I live an hour from the dealership. You guys got any ideas? Since I will need a new key anyway, have any of you ever used RPM Motorsports where you send off the EWS to have it programmed? Any ideas on how to bypass the EWS or to see if maybe it is the starter?

As I said, I am thinking EWs because the car had sat a while with a dead battery and the remote locks won't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Yeah I shudder when I see e46 330ci prices - I got a super clean nicely optioned 2005 with 50,000 in 2010 but I paid like double asking nowadays. I love it and have no plans to sell it anytime soon, so I can only hope the market goes the way clean e36s went.

I'm having trouble parsing this sentence, probably because I don't know anything about BMWs and I'm only researching them now because I need a new car. Are you saying that the e46's have dramatically come down in price? If so why is this? Is it just the typical moves of the car market where a car moves into a certain age and the prices really start to plummet? Did E36's bottom out and have started rising again? I have been surprised to see that the price gap between E30, E36 and E46 is not really that significant at all.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Femtosecond posted:

I'm having trouble parsing this sentence, probably because I don't know anything about BMWs and I'm only researching them now because I need a new car. Are you saying that the e46's have dramatically come down in price? If so why is this? Is it just the typical moves of the car market where a car moves into a certain age and the prices really start to plummet? Did E36's bottom out and have started rising again? I have been surprised to see that the price gap between E30, E36 and E46 is not really that significant at all.

Clean e30's and e36's are unicorn status. My theory: after everybody got tired of Japanese honda/240sx type rigs, there was a huge run on low end German rides, partially because of the economic downturn (all the lawyers unloaded their old college E36 they were keeping around for their kid), and this pretty much trashed the e30/e36 stock, at least in the States.

e46's are really really overpriced right now from what I hear, i think there's a company that has enough capital that they keep buying up all good used e46's that show up and marking them up. Or am I just thinking of e46 m3's? Please correct where i'm wrong on this, just playing telephone.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That's EAS. It's the M3s.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

Clean e30's and e36's are unicorn status. My theory: after everybody got tired of Japanese honda/240sx type rigs, there was a huge run on low end German rides, partially because of the economic downturn (all the lawyers unloaded their old college E36 they were keeping around for their kid), and this pretty much trashed the e30/e36 stock, at least in the States.

Ok right I've noticed this too. Almost everything e30/e36 I've seen on craigslist has been ruined by teens.

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Apr 17, 2016

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Thats what happens when the cars get to liek $5k, they all get ruined by teens. Then the good ones go up. Happens to everything.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

I had a loaner 428gc over the weekend. It's really handsome and drives well. I wish it was in my driveway.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Does anyone have an idea of how far m2 allocations are going out?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
My MAF is probably fouled because K&N filters loving suck and the drat car is throwing p0171 and a p0174 plus a bunch of pending misfire codes. 01 330i with the M54B30.

I bought an AEM dryflow because gently caress K&N (although K&N owns AEM now, ugh).

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Residency Evil posted:

Well, put it this way, the wife of the president of the Peachtree CCA doesn't have hers yet.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

gently caress me running, i just bought a 96 E36 convertible with a snapped hood cable (don't worry i basically stole it). yea he had the cable poking out of the hood and showed me how to unlatch it but it took all of a day for me to forget about that.

so now its locked down with the cable in there somewhere. If i cant get to it by hand from underneath whats the procedure?

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

One dealer in my area told me they received an allocation of one, and it's sold. The other dealer I talked to was so full of poo poo it doesn't bear repeating. Something about two to three years, but then she said "no wait though... We get allocations every month. No wait, every two weeks. But we will gladly take a deposit!" :v:

I want an m2 so bad :(

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

fknlo posted:

Ran across This beautiful machine in my E46 search.

:circlefap:

I want it

Did anyone save the ad or the pictures for this car? I just liked looking at the pictures.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Bacon Hat posted:

gently caress me running, i just bought a 96 E36 convertible with a snapped hood cable (don't worry i basically stole it). yea he had the cable poking out of the hood and showed me how to unlatch it but it took all of a day for me to forget about that.

so now its locked down with the cable in there somewhere. If i cant get to it by hand from underneath whats the procedure?
Step 1: HAHAHAHA

Realtalk: I hope you got this thing for like $1000 and its got a sub-150k mile s52 in it. I've done it once on a friend's car. I'd rather burn nearly any given e36 than ever do it again.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Does it really matter? it's a finely tuned piece of German engineering, it's not like you'll be needing to get under the hood to fix things all the time.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
hey BLKMK4 how bad was it doing the manual swap on that e46? i see a clean wagon locally with a blown AT :getin:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I forget how the e36 latch works, but when I let the E39 sit for a year the in-cabin latch worked but the front one didn't. Was able to pop out a kidney grille and pop the latch with a screwdriver. Time to peer at diagrams and start peering in there. if you need to break something to get in there, make it a grille, they're the cheapest part to replace.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BraveUlysses posted:

hey BLKMK4 how bad was it doing the manual swap on that e46? i see a clean wagon locally with a blown AT :getin:

I never got around to it. I realized I didn't want to be pot committed to that drat car.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
God loving damnit, I'm throwing codes again on my 01 330i. Either a fouled MAF or vacuum leak. Maybe bad gas? p0171, 174, 1083, 1085.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I vote intake leak pre-manifold or maf, yeah.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

Wrar posted:

God loving damnit, I'm throwing codes again on my 01 330i. Either a fouled MAF or vacuum leak. Maybe bad gas? p0171, 174, 1083, 1085.

Check both parts of the induction boot for cracking because if it's original it will have holes and that will lean out the motor and throw codes (happened on mine). The hose clamps on the bottom half of the induction boot are WAY easier to get at from underneath with the car in the air.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

SuperDucky posted:

Step 1: HAHAHAHA

Realtalk: I hope you got this thing for like $1000 and its got a sub-150k mile s52 in it. I've done it once on a friend's car. I'd rather burn nearly any given e36 than ever do it again.

Exactly, nailed it on the circumstances. also came with these rims.

ya im prepared to go the lower bumper/kidney/accessory fan route i guess. just needs the driver door panel, some bushings and a new top. i can even pick from 5 colors.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
3 years after I sent mine to the crusher, every time someone posts an E36 (or E46) interior i get triggered and think about trying to pick one up.

Perfect cockpit. I think i'm a sucker for center console window switches.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Bacon Hat posted:

Exactly, nailed it on the circumstances. also came with these rims.

ya im prepared to go the lower bumper/kidney/accessory fan route i guess. just needs the driver door panel, some bushings and a new top. i can even pick from 5 colors.

Those are just cheapo M5 reps, never came in 3 series offsets or 16" (15"?).

If you can't go through the kidneys, you can remove the bumper/nosepanel on an e36 without having the hood open. Gives more room to work with.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

3 years after I sent mine to the crusher, every time someone posts an E36 (or E46) interior i get triggered and think about trying to pick one up.

I love the console window switches in my e46. That's one of the few things that bugs me about the M Coupe, the window switches are on the driver door armrest. BUT THE LOCK/UNLOCK BUTTON IS ON THE CONSOLE!

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

Crustashio posted:

Those are just cheapo M5 reps, never came in 3 series offsets or 16" (15"?).

If you can't go through the kidneys, you can remove the bumper/nosepanel on an e36 without having the hood open. Gives more room to work with.

thanks for the heads up. whats a good shifter bushing kit for these? i guess people dont like how sloppy the oem rig feels. might consider a short-throw, too

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I've had 3 German cars with the window switches in the center console but the BMWs are kind of weird because the lock out switch is hidden under the steering wheel and isn't labeled at all, the mb has it integrated with the drivers window controls

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Bacon Hat posted:

thanks for the heads up. whats a good shifter bushing kit for these? i guess people dont like how sloppy the oem rig feels. might consider a short-throw, too

iirc oem Z3 shifters shorten the throw and drop right in

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

iirc oem Z3 shifters shorten the throw and drop right in

ill look into it. thanks, too

i think the radio is probably hosed. what fits in there that isnt too flashy and lets you aux in somehow?

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

does this work for the z3 shift kit?

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-short-shift-kit-e36-m52-e36ssk

HATECUBE fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 24, 2016

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Jonny 290 posted:

Same. Mine was wrecked 4+ years ago and I still miss it.

Speaking of which: I found my old E36 headlights in my sister-in-law's garage last weekend. They were in rough shape but I buffed the hell out of them with a 3M kit and they're not too bad now. One looks really good, the other has some hazing on the inside or something. Is there anything I can do about that? I went over it with the kit twice and it looks like it's just clouded a little on the inside:

Also, how much do used E36 headlights go for? They have bulbs in them.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 23, 2016

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Not much, they are just basic non projectors. Maybe $25-50.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I bought them because they were half as much as any other company, but ECS pre-facelift e46 grilles are loving weird looking.

I also took a really short vid of the new M3 exhaust:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7P_JHSE4pc

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 24, 2016

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Pretty much the exact sound I expect out of an m3. nice

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I disconnected the exhaust valve cables so they're always open.

I'll still take the more power :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5mxZaVHcAY

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PenisMonkey posted:

I disconnected the exhaust valve cables so they're always open.

I'll still take the more power :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5mxZaVHcAY

What exhaust.mp3 are you playing inside?

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

Powershift posted:

What exhaust.mp3 are you playing inside?

The best one

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I figured it was finally time to replace my busted rear end wiper blades. Went to a few auto parts stores, and they ranged from $80-$120, if they could even get them, which most couldn't.

That led me to take a closer look at them, and ended up ripping the entire bullshit blade refill mechanism out and bolting in a set for an f-150 i got free with an oil change ages ago.

The drivers side blade could have been a little longer, but it works. $100 wiper blades? gently caress that, $0 wiper blades. gently caress your german engineering.

Beater 5 is best BMW.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I have learned what you get for not buying Real German OEM parts.

Pain.

Bought an autozone reman alternator last year, fast forward to me getting new suspension installed this past week and having the alternator fail and battery die in traffic thursday night. Now waiting till tuesday for autozone to get my warranty replacement in and I don't get to try out my newly-non-boat suspension this weekend. :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Powershift posted:

I figured it was finally time to replace my busted rear end wiper blades. Went to a few auto parts stores, and they ranged from $80-$120, if they could even get them, which most couldn't.

That led me to take a closer look at them, and ended up ripping the entire bullshit blade refill mechanism out and bolting in a set for an f-150 i got free with an oil change ages ago.

The drivers side blade could have been a little longer, but it works. $100 wiper blades? gently caress that, $0 wiper blades. gently caress your german engineering.

Beater 5 is best BMW.

I have the same problem. I just unthread the worn out rubber bit, take it to the parts store and match it up to some cheap thing on the shelf that happens to have an identical length / style of rubber. I just take it out and thread it into the existing frame. Works great.

I had to do a bit of emergency wrenching on my car today. Half of the exhaust rotted out a couple weeks ago - the passenger side muffler decided to rip off of the pipe and dangle there on my way to work one day. It was noticeably louder, but not too terrible, since I still had both resonators and one muffler left working. Since the weather here had been lovely, cold, and rainy every time I've had a chance to work on it since then, that's the way I had left it (with the dangling muffler unbolted and stashed in the trunk, obviously). I had also had a random misfire for the last few months that I couldn't track down...some days the motor would run like glass, others it was stumbly and lovely at idle, but seemed to smooth out when underway. Not a big deal really, I just made a mental note to look into it when the weather was nicer. Well, last night I met up with some friends at a restaurant, and about halfway there it lost a ton of power and was obviously running on 7 cylinders. The misfire was no longer random, and there was a noticeable lope at idle, and when accelerating (no CEL though).

So, today it was nice out and I decided to fix some poo poo. First up, the running on 7 cylinders thing. I just replaced all of the coils / boots with new BMW coils a couple months ago, so I figured I had a bad one that was just now showing up. I did the standard "disconnect coils one by one with motor running until I pull one that doesn't cause the idle to change" method, and found that #8 seemed to be the dead one. So, I swapped the coil / boot with a spare...no change. Next step, check the plug. So I pulled it, and

:stonk:
That's not liquid sludge either, it's some kind of hard calcified deposit. The car has been burning oil for a while - I didn't think it was all going through one cylinder though :doh: I don't know how that was firing at all before. The rest of them looked good:

8 new plugs later, and it's running fine now. Next up, the exhaust. No pictures, because my hands were full of rust powder and soot, but I took off the rotted out Magnaflow setup and put the heavy as gently caress stock one that I had sitting in the shed back on. I forgot how whisper quiet it was :( It's only temporary at least. Nobody really makes an off-the-shelf bolt on exhaust for this car anymore (except Ei$enmann), so I'm planning on having a custom one made up again, out of stainless this time because gently caress dealing with poo poo tier Midas garbage pipe again. I've found a semi-local shop that does custom stainless mandrel bent exhaust, although I don't know how much they charge yet. I really need to learn how to weld.