Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Golden Goat posted:

Oh wow I didn't think Polygon would hate Star Fox so much they wont finish/review it.

Every time I see a post like this I am reminded that some people still haven't realized Polygon is everything that is bad with videogaming "journalism" all rolled in one handy location, and the more attention people give them the worse it gets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Gorgolflox posted:

Maybe the game is too good for our primitive ape brains to understand.

I have a feeling it's not gonna go down like Wonderful 101 this time where we find out that the game is amazing like a month after.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
There are very few games journalists who aren't pretentious wank peddlers, paid shills, loving morons, or some combination of these traits

So wait a few weeks if you want good impressions for stuff to filter out

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the real crime is that the new president of Platinum isn't Hideki Kamiya so we can legit have the big boss of one of the best 3rd party developers dispensing "use your brain. blocked" like party favors

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I think some folks get a bit too riled up at journalists expressing their opinions about games.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
https://twitter.com/NintendoInq/status/723150215994187789

i want it

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I remember when Jim Sterling gave Kid Icarus Uprising a 5/10 and that was the moment I stopped trusting Jim Sterling for anything

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm glad I can't name any game journalists

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I remember when Jim Sterling gave Kid Icarus Uprising a 5/10 and that was the moment I stopped trusting Jim Sterling for anything

The moment I stopped was him talking about Fallout 4

he called the polygamy "progressive"

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Gorgolflox posted:

Maybe the game is too good for our primitive ape brains to understand.

Good thing we have Andross' advanced ape brain as a shining example

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i need it

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

he was right

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
So question. Like I said nearly a month ago, I'm playing Okami for the first time. Game's charming etc.

How long is this loving game?

I just beat Orochi and the game's still going. In fact, it looks like I'm barely halfway through.

There's so much other stuff I want to play and I just feel forced at swordbrushpoint to continue running a wolf and flea around fairy-tale Japan paintings. Would I be disgracing myself if I called it quits at this point? Would...would I have to commit seppuku? :ohdear:

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Patter Song posted:

So question. Like I said nearly a month ago, I'm playing Okami for the first time. Game's charming etc.

I just beat Orochi and the game's still going. In fact, it looks like I'm barely halfway through.

There's so much other stuff I want to play and I just feel forced at swordbrushpoint to continue running a wolf and flea around fairy-tale Japan paintings. Would I be disgracing myself if I called it quits at this point? Would...would I have to commit seppuku? :ohdear:

You are halfway through.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Nintendo consoles? Almost always
Gamecube: ehhhh
Wii U: New Super Mario Bros U even if I think it's definitely the weakest mario launch game
DS: I thought Canvas Curse and Warioware were launch games but apparently they aren't everywhere, but those

Gamecube had Luigi's Mansion, Wave Race: Blue Storm, Super Monkey Ball
Wii U had Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Wii U Edition, Nintendo Land, Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed

DS had Super Mario 64 DS (I should know, I was able to buy the game but couldn't find the system)

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

codenameFANGIO posted:

Good thing we have Andross' advanced ape brain as a shining example

i know irony's cool at the moment, but andross is a genocidal war criminal. can we maybe not ??

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Jarogue posted:

DS had Super Mario 64 DS (I should know, I was able to buy the game but couldn't find the system)

The DS launch was pretty weak I thought. I had SM64/WarioWare Touched and there wasn't really anything else for a while (I have like 60 DS games now though so I guess it doesn't matter)

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

oddium posted:

i know irony's cool at the moment, but andross is a genocidal war criminal. can we maybe not ??

He's good at technology, and is a great public speaker

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Jarogue posted:

Gamecube had Luigi's Mansion, Wave Race: Blue Storm, Super Monkey Ball

hey man didn't you hear. these games didn't facilitate the uh user experience coherent with a um. dynamic... user clouds...

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Patter Song posted:

You pretty much are indeed halfway, Okami is insanely long. On the other hand it ends so suddenly that its ending is a little disappointing.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

there's super no vacancy in your brain because it's full of poo poo!!

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Artix posted:

Melee came out like a full month after the GC. Your actual launch options were pretty lackluster.

Rogue Leader completely renders this post invalid

Commissar Ken posted:

I could probably play just Rogue Squadron 2 for the rest of my life. Plus didn't Tony Hawk 3 and Smash come out after that first month? Pretty solid start.

Yes. It was the best time to be a kid. all 3 of those games defined my 4th grade gaming year

bef fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 21, 2016

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

The DS launch was pretty weak I thought. I had SM64/WarioWare Touched and there wasn't really anything else for a while (I have like 60 DS games now though so I guess it doesn't matter)

Yeah I didn't get another game until Nintendogs 5 months after lanuch and then Mario Kart DS and Sonic Rush almost a year after lanuch

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i had sm64ds and the yoshi game where you drew clouds for him to walk on

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Help Im Alive posted:

Justin and Griffin McElroy

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Patter Song posted:

It's really long. My first playthrough was about 50-60 hours, I think? Though I did try to do everything reasonable (I think I didn't 100% the animals, nor did I finish the stupid fashion quest thing.) I'd say your more around a third of the way done than halfway, but it might just be that I had less time to play when I got to that point, so the rest of the game seemed to take longer.

You really should finish the game, but this would be a good point to take a break for a bit.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

oddium posted:

i had sm64ds and the yoshi game where you drew clouds for him to walk on

I love that game.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Gamecube: ehhhh

Star Wars: Rogue Squadron 2 is not "ehhhh".
And if you count the 1-2 month launch window, there was also Pikmin and Melee.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Star Fox looked like boring poo poo the moment they showed it off during Treehouse or whatever. Also looked like nothing I would expect having Platinum's name on it. Not surprised it's getting poo poo reviews.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

katkillad2 posted:

Star Fox looked like boring poo poo the moment they showed it off during Treehouse or whatever. Also looked like nothing I would expect having Platinum's name on it. Not surprised it's getting poo poo reviews.

have you played any star fox game ever? because it looks like a star fox game, almost like the star fox game that people have been asking for.

maybe it would have been better received if it took place on foot on a platform in space with items turned off

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'm getting the game for $45 CAD. I'll play it and sell it if I really hate it but I'll probably end up keeping it as part of the Wii U collection. I still regret not getting Devil's Third for $45. Someone's gotta preserve garbage for future generations.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Housh posted:

I'm getting the game for $45 CAD. I'll play it and sell it if I really hate it but I'll probably end up keeping it as part of the Wii U collection. I still regret not getting Devil's Third for $45. Someone's gotta preserve garbage for future generations.

Nintendo fans are so weird

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

It's called mental illness. :colbert:

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I want to play the frog tower defense security camera game.

VermiciousKnid84
May 28, 2004
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Are there any reviews of SF0 out there from people who enjoy Splatoon's motion controls?

It took a bit of adjusting, but I've really grown to love how Splatoon controls. So I want to know if someone who likes Splatoon and has fond memories of SNES and N64 Star Fox would like this.

I'm thinking yes, but these reviews make the game seem so awful I'm not even sure anymore.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Housh posted:

DT's multipayer is surprisingly fun.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

VermiciousKnid84 posted:

Are there any reviews of SF0 out there from people who enjoy Splatoon's motion controls?

It took a bit of adjusting, but I've really grown to love how Splatoon controls. So I want to know if someone who likes Splatoon and has fond memories of SNES and N64 Star Fox would like this.

I'm thinking yes, but these reviews make the game seem so awful I'm not even sure anymore.

My local exchange put this out early and I've played two missions. As someone who loves Splatoon's motion controls too I can say I don't think you'll be disappointed. It's more hectic when you're in all range mode but thats not a bad thing imo.

It's crazy how well the 3D audio feature works for the radio.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 21, 2016

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

VermiciousKnid84 posted:

So far, the positive reviews I've seen (techno Buffalo, PC mag, and usgamer) say that once you give it a chance, the gyro aiming isn't really a problem. Judging from them, it's a decent verging on good game, although that's a bit of a letdown after such a long time waiting for a new Star fox.

There's a really sharp divide between the reviewers that dislike the gyro aiming and the ones that were open to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

rest in peace Prince, upon whom mario was based

• Locked thread