Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer
I think the only thing that the WiiU could have done with Star Fox that they haven't before is a workable co-op, given there's two screens.

Am I the only one who would have liked to rearrange a couch, sit long ways, and co-op some space jet flying shooter game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Have Platinum do Star Fox Zero Adventures next.

Apparently the coop in Zero is actually pretty fun. Would love a separate ship coop mode though if it was possible.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I'll not get it unless it goes on sale for $20 or something, which it never will because Nintendo first party

Dunno why people still say this when the Nintendo eShop has a sale on right now and they also recently announced new Nintendo Selects so you can get Pikmin 3 for $20 instead of $60-90 (depending if you had wanted to get it digitally or not).

Mistle posted:

I think the only thing that the WiiU could have done with Star Fox that they haven't before is a workable co-op, given there's two screens.

Am I the only one who would have liked to rearrange a couch, sit long ways, and co-op some space jet flying shooter game?

Yeah, it has coop. One person flies, one aims. No online though, sadly.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ehh. I thought it was aright. It has issues, but anytime you try to reboot a franchise, people will hate it. to me, it doesnt feel like cod or any of that poo poo at all. At least new wolfenstein was great.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Golden Goat posted:

Have Platinum do Star Fox Zero Adventures next.

Of all the things I'd like to see Platinum do, this ranks below "Brady Bunch Platinum brawler"

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Adventures is the only star fox game I've ever played and it was pretty cool until the part in the story where you have to mash A insanely fast and for some reason I could never do it and I've been stuck there for a decade.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Of all the things I'd like to see Platinum do, this ranks below "Brady Bunch Platinum brawler"

"Peppy turn off my barrel roll inhibitors!"

You know it would be ridiculous and fun.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Nintendo regularly takes games that have no business working anymore and turns them into something amazing. I don't really buy the "Well it's Star Fox, what were people expecting?" argument because of that. I think people were expecting Nintendo to make a good game, which is pretty reasonable.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

In Training posted:

Adventures is the only star fox game I've ever played and it was pretty cool until the part in the story where you have to mash A insanely fast and for some reason I could never do it and I've been stuck there for a decade.

rub the button with the back of a spoon. one weird trick a gamer discovered. or maybe a chef i guess

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Doesn't platinum have a history of mediocre on-rail shooters put into every game they make?

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

oddium posted:

rub the button with the back of a spoon. one weird trick a gamer discovered. or maybe a chef i guess

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Nasgate posted:

Doesn't platinum have a history of mediocre on-rail shooters put into every game they make?

Yes

Bayonetta

W101

Metal gear rising

Etc

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

There's only room for one good Nintendo on-rails shooter, and it's called Kid Icarus Uprising.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The on rail shooter stuff in W101 is the only time it was good

MGR's inoffensive

Bayo's is bad.

The rest of the games don't have it, but Korra does have this lovely runner mini-game that sucks.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Agreed, the gamer that discovered it probably had a 12 inch dick

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

metal gear rising's is just the super short one after sundowner right

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

oddium posted:

It's part of the fight yes.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

oddium posted:

Yeah. You can actually just keep mashing the shoot button and you'll be fine.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the only thing i really remember about sundowner is how quickly you can chump him by perfect parrying his shield or something. also the helicopter that can clip you with a bullet and make you lose out on perfecting the fight

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I remember Sundowner being easy no matter what way you went about it.
The dodge move got past his shield and perfect parries wrecked him.

He just needed more health.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think I learned if you never go near the edge at the start of the fight then it just fucks off at some point, not that you need to ever approach the edge if you know how to loving kick the poo poo out of him without ever getting by shield stuff

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah that dude needed more health, it's a really fun fight when you approach it the way it's supposed to be segmented

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

sundowner was definitely the easiest boss in my s-rank revengence run, which i did because i'm cool. monsoon made me in real life mad though which is rare because i'm cool

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Monsoon's probably the hardest boss on revengeance, but he's always super fun to fight

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Is Revengeance ever coming out on PS4? I guess I should assume it's not.

I don't care about this ps4+ for itself, but if it makes ps3s drop in price as part of generations rolling forward, that would be great.

I mean, I guess I could just play MGR on my 360...

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

metal gear rising is also on steam

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

oddium posted:

sundowner was definitely the easiest boss in my s-rank revengence run, which i did because i'm cool. monsoon made me in real life mad though which is rare because i'm cool

Still worth it for the metal shredding

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Where did the idea of "S-Rank" being the top level come from anyway?

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Where did the idea of "S-Rank" being the top level come from anyway?

It's a Japanese thing, a level beyond perfect

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Yeah it stands for "Super (Saiyan)"

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Wait I misread the article. I mean it just comes from Japanese games to be like "You went above perfection!!!"

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

oddium posted:

metal gear rising is also on steam

I don't have a computer than can run games.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The S doesn't actual have a specific definition, but you can easily assume like Super or Special or Supercalafragilisticexpialadotious

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

S for Sassy

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Golden Goat posted:

"Peppy turn off my barrel roll inhibitors!"

You know it would be ridiculous and fun.

Of course it would be, but I'm saying there's a lot of other things that I want Platinum to tackle, and the last loving thing I need is a game that encourages them to put lovely unfun space shooter sections in.

Baal posted:

Monsoon's probably the hardest boss on revengeance, but he's always super fun to fight

The biggest flaw of MGR is that Sundowner is too easy and doesn't have enough defense/health to really work as the tank kind of boss he's designed to be.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Of course it would be, but I'm saying there's a lot of other things that I want Platinum to tackle, and the last loving thing I need is a game that encourages them to put lovely unfun space shooter sections in.

*cogs slowly turning in head*
OH, so you mean you don't want Star Fox Zero.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Lurdiak posted:

The biggest flaw of MGR is that Sundowner is too easy and doesn't have enough defense/health to really work as the tank kind of boss he's designed to be.

Oh absolutely, it's ridiculous how he has less health than Monsoon and Sam. It's really fun to fight him and break apart the shield then have him change it up on you with his pincer blades and just start coming at you.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I should retry Sundowner but use some crappy weapon against him so it lasts longer.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Your best bet is the machete and it still isn't enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I remember fighting him with the wooden sword

Why is the tankiest bruiser looking cyborg guy made of wet napkins

• Locked thread