Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Turn on Sky News if you want to see an hour long Sophie Mirabella meltdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

LibertyCat posted:

What, exactly, is wrong with riding on the footpath where possible? You're way safer and won't hold up traffic. I'd take a collision between a pedestrian and a bike vs a bike and a truck any day.

I used to ride a ton and never had a problem with footpaths.

Because if you are trying to ride with any sort of speed, footpaths are complete rubbish for that. You have to deal with cars at intersections anyway, plus pedestrians and all manner of slow moving users. Half the time the footpath is simply not suitable for more than 1 person wide, either walking or riding, and then you get cases like I had to deal with tonight, where a nice footpath simply stopped. There was no marked way to cross over to the other side, there was no indication it was going to stop, it just did.

Or, cyclists who chose to could use the nice wide flat bit of road that is designed for going fast on. All it would take is other drivers to stop being fuckwits, but its Australia, and its full of shitstains like yourself.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Uber is pretty fantastic in Russia I gotta say.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Turn on Sky News if you want to see an hour long Sophie Mirabella meltdown.

I don't have Sky so feel free to post highlights.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
lol channel 9 directly funding abduction firms and leaving a paper trail of doing so :allears:

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Frogmanv2 posted:

Or, cyclists who chose to could use the nice wide flat bit of road that is designed for going fast on. All it would take is other drivers to stop being fuckwits, but its Australia, and its full of shitstains like yourself.
keywords: "designed for going fast on".

If you could keep up with traffic I wouldn't have a problem with it - but you probably are pissing hundreds of people off because you're being a selfish prick and are doing 40ks less than the speed limit.

I would gladly accept boat people into the country if it meant we put road-driving cyclists in offshore concentration camps instead.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
a few moments of my time is worth more than someone else's right to use public infrastructure
- a selfish prick

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'll gladly accept road cyclists if it means putting LibertyCat in an offshore concentration camp

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

LibertyCat posted:

keywords: "designed for going fast on".

If you could keep up with traffic I wouldn't have a problem with it - but you probably are pissing hundreds of people off because you're being a selfish prick and are doing 40ks less than the speed limit.

I would gladly accept boat people into the country if it meant we put road-driving cyclists in offshore concentration camps instead.

Yeah so we should be building seperated bicycle lanes and proper bike paths and identifying where suburban roads need traffic calming to discourage rat running to ease traffic flow along main corridors and thereby encourage more people to ride a bicycle in these streets - Greens policy - the only party that has committed to building separate streets for bikes and cars. Don't worry about the helmet thing, we're going to defund the police force so that they can't enforce that law anyway. (Sorry that there's no specific policy about helmets but basically no one gaf about that when we still expect bicycles to share lanes with buses)

Re: uber chat. It's not a customer service argument, it's a sharing economy argument. Sharing economy sounds nice to the ears, but there is a danger of putting a price on goods and services that previously didn't have one. Perhaps a *regulated sharing economy* would be the better option, and that's the discussion the government is now having (well, they're trying to put off, so, the current one). Basically: is uber more effective at redistributing wealth downwards than a normal taxi (learning from proudhon that wealth needs be redistributed back downwards for the economy to work)? Sort of, not really, has the potential to.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

cars are an incredibly inefficient but extremely convenient way of moving people around and if anything can be done that reduces the number of single occupant vehicles it is a Good thing

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Hmm anyone know what happened in this country in the 1890s and 1930s.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

LibertyCat posted:

1 bike slows down what, 100 cars? Particularly with the new "you must leave a 1m gap" rule that often makes it impossible to overtake. One extra car won't delay traffic nearly as much as a bike. Less delays means less fossil fuel usage and air pollution.

What's the harm in riding on the footpath anyway? It's always worked fine in Qld.

e: One can oppose the freedom to have picnics on the freeway yet still generally support civil liberties.

Or just paint bike lines onto some main routes and cyclisrs will mostly use them.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Hmm anyone know what happened in this country in the 1890s and 1930s.

Rhetorical question? Because that's probably the 1890s depression showing up there.

http://www.rba.gov.au/publications/rdp/1999/pdf/rdp1999-06.pdf

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Rhetorical question?

yeah lol

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I used uber to get in and out of the city tonight and it was half the price of the equivalent taxi and a shitload more convenient and comfortable so idk I guess I support them and gently caress off taxi industry.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Heh, sorry. Studying to become a history teacher. No dumb questions and all that.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
the gently caress?

https://twitter.com/abc730/status/723086641024237568

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Makes perfect sense when you think about it.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Hey Eddie I need some people released from a Lebanese prison I have a bag of cash if that helps.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

But then why doesn't the 1987 crash show on the chart

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

LibertyCat posted:

I think the big burly transmen in women's bathrooms will be greatly outnumbered by straight male pervs using it as a defense.

The nice thing about this is that we have up to 15 years experience in the US of trans people having the legal right to use bathrooms of their identified gender, with almost none of this happening. No, there's unlikely to be too many trans men in women's bathrooms. What there will be is many more cases of physical and sexual assault of trans women. But that's obviously ok, because we can't let the rights of the minority (not to be assaulted, and to be able to participate fully in society) be trumped by the rights of the majority (to be fuckheads about a non-issue that has been shown in practice to be a non-issue).

quote:

Call them Penis/Vagina rooms imo.

Are you volunteering as genital inspector? How the gently caress are you going to know?

DeathMuffin fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 21, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Negligent posted:

But then why doesn't the 1987 crash show on the chart

Possibly because the US federal reserve told their banks to continue on with lending to each other at a loss as if the crash wasn't happening.

Or maybe there were just fewer bank failures in 87? Not sure. :shrug:

e:Or the gigantic spike in bank credit to GDP just hid the effects of the crash.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 21, 2016

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Possibly because the US federal reserve told their banks to continue on with lending to each other at a loss as if the crash wasn't happening.

Or maybe there were just fewer bank failures in 87? Not sure. :shrug:

e:Or the gigantic spike in bank credit to GDP just hid the effects of the crash.

Different crashes are caused by different things too. There's hardly a pause on that chart for the 90s recession and there isn't any significant movement through the 70s either.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Lmao with regards to Obeid being involved in getting attempted kidnappers home

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Whenever I'm in a public toilet I'm doing my damned hardest to just ignore the existence of anyone else in there. Why do we need separate toilets anyway?

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

Senor Tron posted:

Or just paint bike lines onto some main routes and cyclisrs will mostly use them.

I cycle to work and hate riding on the road. Drivers just don't give a gently caress. Luckily I have a shared path for most of the way and where I do have to ride on the road there's at least a painted line for cyclists. And this is using the backroads as much as possible!

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

starkebn posted:

Whenever I'm in a public toilet I'm doing my damned hardest to just ignore the existence of anyone else in there. Why do we need separate toilets anyway?

because you're not everyone, and some people are real shitheels

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

tithin posted:

because you're not everyone, and some people are real shitheels

so what makes a difference to shitheels whether they're in a toilet or out of it? How is having separate gender toilets now stopping someone from being a shitheel?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Everybody poops.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
They should have separate toilets, one for the clean people and another for those dirty pricks who piss everywhere and never clean it up

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

My experience with public toilets will always be that time there was poo poo in the urinal and glass all over the floor.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
Helmets should be mandatory for pooping.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Anidav posted:

My experience with public toilets will always be that time there was poo poo in the urinal and glass all over the floor.

I call that "literally the three times I've ever gone clubbing in Brisbane" and it's a fair chunk of the reason I don't go to the clubs anymore.

That, and I'm old.

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

bigis posted:

Helmets should be mandatory for pooping.

No sarcasm,

This is the best post on the topic in literally hundreds of pages of toilet discussion in multiple forums.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

starkebn posted:

so what makes a difference to shitheels whether they're in a toilet or out of it? How is having separate gender toilets now stopping someone from being a shitheel?

If a trans person who identifies as female but was born male is forced into using the men's room, those shitheels may assault her.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I wonder how parents feel taking their kids to those public toilets in parks that are full of spiders and snakes and syringes.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

MysticalMachineGun posted:

If a trans person who identifies as female but was born male is forced into using the men's room, those shitheels may assault her.

I think he's arguing for gender-neutral bathrooms, not against respecting trans peoples' gender identities.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Public toilets are gross, just use the bathroom before you leave the house each day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

BBJoey posted:

I think he's arguing for gender-neutral bathrooms, not against respecting trans peoples' gender identities.

I was more responding to his "shitheels gonna shitheel" question. Don't forget in Queensland there's still gay panic laws on the books.

Gender neutral bathrooms wouldn't hurt anyone - just have nothing but stalls - but there's always going to be people uncomfortable sharing a bathroom with other genders.

• Locked thread