Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Zaphod42 posted:

Don't really know what to say about this other than I completely disagree. Don't feel like getting in a fight about it. But part whole reason I loved DS1 is because it felt like a proper 3D Castlevania, yeah... saying "go play Castlevania instead then!" is kinda a dick thing to say dude. They're not making any more anyways so why do you care so much what I want? Jeeze.

Go play Metroid instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

I accidentally 'found' the assassin in the church by whacking it with my club but didn't kill it, I didn't gently caress up the quest did I?
I did the same thing, but could trigger the next event just fine. Just don't kill him dead

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Started a Pyro and have been sunbroing for Tree Nuts and Big Hat Sage.

Tonight I twice encountered the bug where the Sage was unkillable. Both times I'm pretty sure it happened because the real one dipped out when there were illusions still on the field, and the illusions didn't despawn.

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
Ask me about personal watercraft.

Mortimer posted:

no its part of a quest, one would argue thats part of the "good" quest ending unless you're going for the ridiculous secret ending (you aren't)

That's good, yeah first playthrough obviously, so any secret endings would be in subsequent runs.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

A Magical Lamp posted:

You're actually on the last stretch right now. You should have three out of four lords of cinders.

Weird, I figured there would be some mid game turn like there was in DS1, 2 and Bloodborne.

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

Can anyone give me a spoiler-free answer on whether I can use purging stones and still get the fourth ending? I have 5 dark sigils and 99 hollowing, but I'd rather not play the entire game as an ugly corpseface

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Do you use a shield with it or what?

With a shield, 1h uses less stamina and does same amount of damage giving you more DPS output.

Use carthus rouge since you'll be attacking super fast.

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 21, 2016

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Finally killed nameless king, something like 20 attempts.

It's crazy that people don't think it's the hardest in the game, he's the only boss you can't completely cheat with pyromancy. He's the first boss I had to get out a melee weapon and actually play dark souls in.

Reinforced Dark Sword +10
grass shield on back
thunder resist gear sub 70 equip load

lloyds ring of swords
thunder resist ring
ring of favor
dex ring (I forgot dark sword needed more dex)

that was my setup, dark sword completely OP.

I've heard of people using the dragonslayer greatshield, but the attacks you wish you can block you can't block so that sucks. Great chaos fire orb was too slow for this fight, circling around his left side and swinging when he's open is what did him in.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

motherbox posted:

Can anyone give me a spoiler-free answer on whether I can use purging stones and still get the fourth ending? I have 5 dark sigils and 99 hollowing, but I'd rather not play the entire game as an ugly corpseface

No, put a helmet on ya dope who cares about hollowing
edit: wait you want a spoiler free answer for an ending you had to look up how to do? :shepface:

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

Mortimer posted:

No, put a helmet on ya dope who cares about hollowing

This is fashion souls bitch I will fight you where's your summon sign.

Mortimer posted:

edit: wait you want a spoiler free answer for an ending you had to look up how to do? :shepface:

Yeah, I realize the absurdity. So far I think I know roughly what I'm supposed to do without knowing any of the plot details, so I'm trying to keep it that way. Thanks for the help.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Can someone explain what the heck is going on, lore-wise, with the untended graves?

I got a strong sense of deja vu seeing they used the same trick in Bloodborne.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

motherbox posted:

You can use an untrue ring you buy from Yuria to ensure your sexiness.

Filthy Hollow.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

LoG posted:

What's the in joke for the thread title?

Like most thread titles in games, it's people without a sense of humor trying to be funny.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
A mod changed the title so maybe they were just being honest.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

turtlecrunch posted:

A mod changed the title so maybe they were just being honest.

Mods don't have real jobs

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

ultrachrist posted:

Can someone explain what the heck is going on, lore-wise, with the untended graves?

i assumed that was the state of firelink in the current timeline of lothric. since the abyss is treated as an ocean that slowly rises, and since firelink is well below lothric (and seems a bit below other stuff as well), I guessed firelink was the 'lowpoint' of lothric, and had been consumed by the abyss.

i also assume that is why there were so many of those abyss monster guys in consumed kings gardens, since it seemed to be the low point of lothric castle itself and the abyss was already seeping through the ground there.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

motherbox posted:

I used a purging stone and yuria still talks to me/still got married

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

killstealing posted:

I used a purging stone and yuria still talks to me/still got married

yeah you have to cure the dark sign at the firekeeper to upset her / not get the ending.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

General Morden posted:

where

so i can pay respects

Follow the left wall from the big door leading to the Abyss Watchers, past the white tree.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Mortimer posted:

It's crazy that people don't think it's the hardest in the game, he's the only boss you can't completely cheat with pyromancy. He's the first boss I had to get out a melee weapon and actually play dark souls in.

grass shield on back

lloyds ring of swords
thunder resist ring
ring of favor

I've heard of people using the dragonslayer greatshield, but the attacks you wish you can block you can't block so that sucks. Great chaos fire orb was too slow for this fight, circling around his left side and swinging when he's open is what did him in.

i've found one of the best items you can use on bosses is woefully underused by people, and that is the stamina grass! it's like a 30% increase in regen speed. it's super good for bosses.

i also used yellow bug pellets for that fight in particular.

Grimalkin
Oct 2, 2008
If I beat the boss in Road of Sacrifices, will I still be able to coop in Farron Keep (or vice versa)? There's no fog wall between the two areas and it's throwing me off.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
If character names (PS4) could be just one letter longer I could have made BLACK KNIGHT 2000 for an awesome PvP gimmick, but that'd been well over 30 points of Vitality, upwards of 36 strength and boatloads of endurance just to get R1 spammed :effort:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Bleed actually proccing twice on a boss makes me want to boost my pitiful 7 luck to make it happen significantly more often

Would 20 DEX 20 luck be too gimpy?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

ultrachrist posted:

That's mostly what I thought too, "hey it's the Old Workshop!" In Bloodborne it was someplace used in the past by Gherman, before he became Dream Gherman.

In DS3 I'm not sure, like why is it behind Oceiros? There was a very interesting item description on Champ's armor though: "Gundyr, or the Belated Champion, was bested by an unknown warrior. He then became sheath to a coiled sword in the hopes that someday, the first flame would be linked once more." So it is very similar to the Old Workshop again in the sense that it is surely sometime in the past, and Champ and Iudex are the same guy.

So to work from that: you wound Champ, he becomes the sheath, but that wound is also infected by a dark mass. Iudex carries this dark mass through the ages, but if he is the only origin point this means that you, the Unkindled, are responsible for all the goopy dragon monsters.

Looking at the other new enemies there, there are dogs and grave wardens. Lets assume the dogs just belong to the grave wardens and there isn't some extended dog lore to go into. Why are the grave wardens there, when these are the Untended Graves? You do find the grave wardens outside the Cathedral of the Deep as well, but more importantly they are specifically mentioned in High Lord Wolnir's item descriptions. These descriptions aren't very well written though and seem a little confusing.

Wolnir seems to be both a conqueror and a grave warden (and a pyromancer), but on top of that there were other grave wardens that learned from him or discovered separately from him certain Abyssal magicks.

--------------------------------------

Grave Warden Pyromancy Tome - A pyromancy tome of the grave warden, from the Carthus catacombs. Give to the pyromancer master to learn black flame sorceries. High Lord Wolnir of Carthus succumbed to the Abyss, but the pyromancer later became a grave warden, and discovered the black flame.

Black Flame (from tome) - Pyromancy discovered by grave wardens after High Lord Wolnir fell to the Abyss. Creates a giant, black flame in hand. Black flames born from the Abyss bear no shadow. They are said to be the impenetrable fires of humanity.

Black Fire Orb (from tome) - Pyromancy discovered by grave wardens after High Lord Wolnir fell to the Abyss. Hurls a black fireball. The black flame inflicts dark damage, striking targets with weighty force.

Black Serpent (from soul) - Pyromancy discovered from the Abyss by High Lord Wolnir that inspired the black arts of the grave wardens. Releases undulating black flames that trace the ground. Be it sorcery or pyromancy, all techniques that infringe on humanity lead to the same place. That is to say, they all seek a will of their own.

Wolnir's Holy Sword (from soul) - A holy sword eroded by the Abyss. When Wolnir fell to the Abyss, he was gripped by a fear of true darkness, and pleaded to the gods for the first time. This holy sword, together with three armlets stripped from the corpses of clerics, gave him some semblance of comfort. [three clerics huh? and Wolnir is a giant skeleton, gee what could this be referencing blahblahblah]

Wolnir's Crown (from maiden) - Crown of Wolnir, the Carthus conqueror. Once upon a time, such things were bequeathed judiciously to each of the rightful lords, until Wolnir brought them to their knees, and ground their crowns to dust. Then the crowns became one, and Wolnir, the one High Lord.

--------------------------------------

Of course, Wolnir might be a completely separate encounter with the Abyss from anything going on with Untended Graves. Is there anything dropped by the dark mass/dragon goop creatures that addresses their nature directly?

e: I agree that Untended Graves could be a location from a time when the Prince refused to link the fire.
e2: I almost forgot but there is also a cluster of corvians in UG, where their only other association seems to be the Painted World and the Road of Sacrifices. There is one in Irithyll praying to a grave, that's the closest you find them to the actual Painted World.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 21, 2016

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

Agreed, they're up there on my list of deadliest enemies in the game

They're only really deadly if you get caught in a small enough corridor that they don't go sailing past you with their jumps. They're sort of like the Ithiryll Outriders: the best strategy is to turtle up and wait for them to hurl their bodies past yours so that you can hit their butts a few times.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Mortimer posted:

grass shield on back

lloyds ring of swords
thunder resist ring
ring of favor

I was playing through the whole game with the Greatsword, but the attacks are really slow and it's not really suited to the second phase of the fight. Died something like 20 times on Nameless King before deciding to make a +10 Dark Sword, went back and took him down on the second try. That poo poo is ridiculous.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well then, now I can't load any of my saves, just goes into an infinite loading screen. PC gaming master race yeah! :toot:

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Is any one of the Pontiff's swords considered way better than the other?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Grimalkin posted:

If I beat the boss in Road of Sacrifices, will I still be able to coop in Farron Keep (or vice versa)? There's no fog wall between the two areas and it's throwing me off.

I suspect that beating the Farron boss locks you out of coop in both; beating the Road boss doesn't lock you out in either. You can summon people right outside the Road boss room, even. :haw:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I was playing through the whole game with the Greatsword, but the attacks are really slow and it's not really suited to the second phase of the fight. Died something like 20 times on Nameless King before deciding to make a +10 Dark Sword, went back and took him down on the second try. That poo poo is ridiculous.

+10 Heavy Dark Sword is legitimately one of the game's best PVE weapons and is honestly downright broken. It has 400 AR at 40 STR, which is just nuts for a weapon with the straight sword R1s.

One day they'll figure out how to actually balance weapon speed for PVE, especially on bosses, but for now I'd almost always recommend a Dark Sword for STR builds and some kind of Rapier for DEX.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Last night someone posted about how their rage as a result of this game had them talking out loud at the game. Personally I make up songs. I'm back at NK now and spouting catchy lyrics like "gently caress your face off you stupid poo poo bag, oh yeah"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sooner or later I'm going to find who to give all these other pyromancy tomes too.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

Sooner or later I'm going to find who to give all these other pyromancy tomes too.

There are two characters who can train Pyromancies in this game. One of them is a prisoner. May the flames guide your way.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Um... so I'm on NG+ and I paid a little more attention when I jumped down the Firelink tower this time around.

Those are all firekeepers. Maybe even the same firekeeper because of how space-time works in Dark Souls. From could've used the same model to save resources, or it's intentional that all the firekeepers have the same hair style as ours. I'm having flashbacks to that exact same scene in Triangle, the Groundhog Day style horror movie. The Firelink shrine
is hosed up, yo!

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 21, 2016

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I suspect that beating the Farron boss locks you out of coop in both; beating the Road boss doesn't lock you out in either. You can summon people right outside the Road boss room, even. :haw:

It doesn't. A friend beat the Farron boss, and could still summon help for the other.

ps 4 a good time, used dried fingers in the road

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Donnerberg posted:

Um... so I'm on NG+ and I paid a little more attention when I jumped down the Firelink tower this time around.

Those are all firekeepers. Maybe even the same firekeeper because of how space-time works in Dark Souls. I'm having flashbacks to that exact same scene in Triangle, the Groundhog Day style horror movie. The Firelink shrine
is hosed up, yo!

Patches, the only time I've encountered him in both playthroughs so far, said after trapping me in there You're in there with all women, or ladies or something along those lines

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

RBA Starblade posted:

She is really hard to notice because she is in a big gently caress-off room and there is no light on her whatsoever.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Also, you can't get Pontiff Sullyvahn's armor?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Vermain posted:

They're only really deadly if you get caught in a small enough corridor that they don't go sailing past you with their jumps. They're sort of like the Ithiryll Outriders: the best strategy is to turtle up and wait for them to hurl their bodies past yours so that you can hit their butts a few times.

but then there's 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

turtlecrunch posted:

She is really hard to notice because she is in a big gently caress-off room and there is no light on her whatsoever.

To be more specific (exact spoiled location ahead): she is located in a cell at the bottom level of Irithyll Dungeon at the very back of a small hallway, next to a cell with one of the Crucified Hollows in it. You need the Jailer's Key Ring to open up her cell, which can be obtained in the Profane Capital by going up the stairs next to the chapel in the poison swamp. Note that she also accepts both Dark braille tomes once you ask her about them twice, allowing you to avoid corrupting Irina-chan.

killstealing posted:

but then there's 2

Y'know how everyone complained heartily about Dark Souls 2 having lots of multiple strong enemy encounters? Well, no one listened, because the game is more-or-less impossible to complete unless you're either a massive coward who's willing to run past everything or someone with a bow who's willing to tediously pull everything one at a time to take them down.