Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We have a bunch of RPG projects we've outsourced. We just need someone in house to be the expert on our system, procedures and setup. I told my boss it'll be a struggle. Might have to hire a programmer who is proficient in other languages and then train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Learn it yourself, become the consultant. :homebrew:

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
At my last job, my boss asked me if I knew any Access to MS SQL migration experts.

I literally couldn't stifle my laughter.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

At the State Agency I work for that handles billions of dollars a year there are still many Access databases maintained by secretaries :ughh:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

That ain't right.

He would have laughed.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

IT Director at a company reaches out to me asking for my availability so we can have a quick chat about a potential job. Setup a time and whoops he has to suddenly cancel. Alright that's cool I understand that things come up. Reschedule and oops no call and no followup. I followup at the end of the week asking if he still was interested since I hadn't heard anything and sure enough he was and we reschedule. Cue today's scheduled call being blown off again. Have some professional courtesy at least. poo poo.

My thoughts on any of our scheduled calls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcWM_1hBu_c

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I've got a phone interview for tomorrow that I'm trying to figure out how to make. I cant/wont call in sick since I was legitimately sick a few days ago and missed some time. It's at 9AM and I start at 8. I'm thinking my best move is a fake car trouble lie or something I dont know.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Just say you have to run an errand and taking an early lunch

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Is dead grandmother still a going excuse?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

This is the worst part of looking for a job. I dont mind interviewing but I swear to god if its a case of a recruiter wasting my and the hiring company's time I'm going to be livid.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Hopefully it's for a job that won't give a poo poo when you need to take personal time and you won't have to make up poo poo for.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Yeah, I just tell my lead I'm going to duck out for whatever amount of time or just simply take it in my car. Now that I'm getting deeper into the interview process I actually told him what I'm doing and I've been granted complete flexibility to handle phone/skype interviews.

Is anyone getting what seems to be autogenerated content from LinkedIn? My 3 year anniversary was 3 weeks ago and random people are messaging me the exact same email congratulating me. I also get phantom endorsements from people I added but never actually met, or at least weird times like at 4am from people that just got a new job (so why be on LinkedIn?) and are in my time zone. I figured it was some automatic thing LinkedIn sends out if you click a button somewhere like a like button, but I haven't been able to replicate it.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Yeah, kind of? I started a new job about a month ago, and I got two private messages from people saying congrats etc. that were 100% identical. I assume there's something like in Google inbox where you can give stock answers to various things that you're supposed to customize a little bit but people are lazy.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
There's an automatic "Say Congrats" button in LinkedIn for new job updates. Not sure how to haven't seen it, it's been there for a while now.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

skooma512 posted:

Yeah, I just tell my lead I'm going to duck out for whatever amount of time or just simply take it in my car. Now that I'm getting deeper into the interview process I actually told him what I'm doing and I've been granted complete flexibility to handle phone/skype interviews.

Is anyone getting what seems to be autogenerated content from LinkedIn? My 3 year anniversary was 3 weeks ago and random people are messaging me the exact same email congratulating me. I also get phantom endorsements from people I added but never actually met, or at least weird times like at 4am from people that just got a new job (so why be on LinkedIn?) and are in my time zone. I figured it was some automatic thing LinkedIn sends out if you click a button somewhere like a like button, but I haven't been able to replicate it.

Yep, they've been doing that forever. Look for "Linkedin Updates" in your Spam Folder Social Tab in Gmail.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Crosspostin' from another thread.

I applied for a job last week, had to fill in my CV online in the recruiters lovely online solution - after uploading my CV in PDF. Did online aptitude tests and wrote case summaries. THEN I get the email that this isn't for an actual job, but for something they hope might open up in the future, and can I come in for a talk?

When I come in, the recruiter doesn't come out to greet me, I have to go knock on his office door. He talks about how we talked on the phone, which we didn't. He hasn't read my CV at all, and says "So, now you're at <job I left 10 years ago>". He conducts the interview like he's talking to an 18 year old looking for their first job, and not someone with 10 years experience.

I let him know what kind of impression he had made, and said we were done.

Recruiters are scum. If you find ones that take good care of you, take good care of them too.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

evobatman posted:

Did online aptitude tests and wrote case summaries.

I am vehemently against 'homework' for senior level positions for this very reason. Why the gently caress should I do all this extra work for a chance to interview with some company?

Our company only gives assessment tests to candidates who we like, but we think are borderline on skill set based on a technical screen / interview. One of our internal recruiters told us that a couple of years ago, when the assessments were standard, they had someone come in and get 100%, and then rejected us because it is absurd that he should have to take a test to prove he could do the job.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

mayodreams posted:

I am vehemently against 'homework' for senior level positions for this very reason. Why the gently caress should I do all this extra work for a chance to interview with some company?

Our company only gives assessment tests to candidates who we like, but we think are borderline on skill set based on a technical screen / interview. One of our internal recruiters told us that a couple of years ago, when the assessments were standard, they had someone come in and get 100%, and then rejected us because it is absurd that he should have to take a test to prove he could do the job.

Ahahahaha, if it only had been something senior level! It was for supposed first line ISP and power company support, where they might need people fast. It had tasks like "What's the cost of $100,000 after a 10% discount" and "Do you end the call with "gently caress off" or "thank you for calling"". Since the rear end in a top hat I talked to didn't read my CV with 10 years of support experience on it, I'm not surprised at all I was asked to do them. It would also literally pay less than my unemployment benefits.

I went to a TV station to interview for customer support for their streaming solution today. Unfortunately it looked like a really nice place with competent people, so no potential for stories of Larches' caliber. It wouldn't be full time and the pay is probably poo poo, but it beats sitting at home scratching my balls.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

evobatman posted:

I applied for a job last week, had to fill in my CV online in the recruiters lovely online solution - after uploading my CV in PDF. Did online aptitude tests and wrote case summaries. THEN I get the email that this isn't for an actual job, but for something they hope might open up in the future, and can I come in for a talk?

When I come in, the recruiter doesn't come out to greet me, I have to go knock on his office door. He talks about how we talked on the phone, which we didn't. He hasn't read my CV at all, and says "So, now you're at <job I left 10 years ago>". He conducts the interview like he's talking to an 18 year old looking for their first job, and not someone with 10 years experience.

I let him know what kind of impression he had made, and said we were done.

Recruiters are scum. If you find ones that take good care of you, take good care of them too.

And don't forget, you need to come in and take a typing test. This sysadmin job requires 40 wpm.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

SubjectVerbObject posted:

And don't forget, you need to come in and take a typing test. This sysadmin job requires 40 wpm.

Also, you won't find out that the job posting was pulled without actually hiring anyone for about 8 months when you're already working at a different job.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
We have a practical part of our SRE interview process. What are your thoughts on it?

It is during the face to face interview and is designed to be completed within 30 minutes. If you're "Junior" or "Regular" (SRE 1, 2) we expect you to get half of it, senior (SRE3, 4) you should get everything, and at 4 you are likely going to bang it out in 10 minutes flat. If you worked in an environment where this was the norm you might bang it out quickly regardless of level.

The test is a VM running on a laptop from a snapshot to ensure it is always identical. It has 4 things wrong with it and a problem statement of: "The disk is full and the webserver won't start." There is a syntax error in the configuration file which you should be able to intuit, a thing which requires you to use `lsof`, and a couple other basic things. Basically the webserver won't start unless you solve the first 3 issues and the disk remains full until you solve the last one. You are not supposed to reboot to solve the issues, I forget if it boots to the broken state.

We have had people insisting they are senior level who cannot get the webserver started.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Is this a "Do it all from memory" test, or do you allow the use of phones / google to resolve the issue?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

H110Hawk posted:

We have a practical part of our SRE interview process. What are your thoughts on it?

It is during the face to face interview and is designed to be completed within 30 minutes. If you're "Junior" or "Regular" (SRE 1, 2) we expect you to get half of it, senior (SRE3, 4) you should get everything, and at 4 you are likely going to bang it out in 10 minutes flat. If you worked in an environment where this was the norm you might bang it out quickly regardless of level.

The test is a VM running on a laptop from a snapshot to ensure it is always identical. It has 4 things wrong with it and a problem statement of: "The disk is full and the webserver won't start." There is a syntax error in the configuration file which you should be able to intuit, a thing which requires you to use `lsof`, and a couple other basic things. Basically the webserver won't start unless you solve the first 3 issues and the disk remains full until you solve the last one. You are not supposed to reboot to solve the issues, I forget if it boots to the broken state.

We have had people insisting they are senior level who cannot get the webserver started.
Short tests are fine. If you give 4-hour programming practicals as homework to people with kids or whatever you're a dick.

I do know a bunch of people who would get offended, though, and I had a bad relationship with a sociopath at a previous job due to giving him one of these during the interview.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I have a laptop with serious issues that cannot be resolved without replacing internal equipment. I made it part of the interview process for entry level helpdesk hires just to see what steps people take and in what order since there's literally no way for them to fix it. Has been really useful to help me figure out how people approach problems, and even better, what they wind up doing when they can't fix something.

It's also running 10 just to see how many people rage about that or make snide remarks so I can go on and ask them to leave :smug:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Sheep posted:

I have a laptop with serious issues that cannot be resolved without replacing internal equipment. I made it part of the interview process for entry level helpdesk hires just to see what steps people take and in what order since there's literally no way for them to fix it. Has been really useful to help me figure out how people approach problems, and even better, what they wind up doing when they can't fix something.

It's also running 10 just to see how many people rage about that or make snide remarks so I can go on and ask them to leave :smug:

Giving someone an unsolvable problem for an interview doesn't seem very practical. The mindset of someone at an interview is probably going to be very different from when they are on the job and put people in un-needed stress. I do see your point of trying to see how they are in crisis, but comes across very "I swapped the sata cable" to me.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Is this a "Do it all from memory" test, or do you allow the use of phones / google to resolve the issue?

It is do it all from memory. The tools needed are in basically every Linux distribution that hasn't been stripped to fit on a 8mb flash disk. You can discuss it with the interviewer if you get stuck, which is fine so long as you're showing some logical thinking. We've had people stall out because the GUI isn't installed and they don't know how to use the cli at all. The skills are fundamental to the job.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Sickening posted:

Giving someone an unsolvable problem for an interview doesn't seem very practical. The mindset of someone at an interview is probably going to be very different from when they are on the job and put people in un-needed stress. I do see your point of trying to see how they are in crisis, but comes across very "I swapped the sata cable" to me.
I don't think the point was that they needed to fix it in a 15-minute segment of their interview, it looks like they just want to see what their troubleshooting process is and how they approach a problem.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Also shows how a person deals with frustration and failure, which are both good things to know.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Diagnosing a problem accurately is also at least as important as being able to apply a solution.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Sheep posted:

Please tell me you debrief these people and explain its totally hosed and they weren't meant to succeed. If I took an interview and couldn't solve a tech test and the interview just ended I would be stressed, pissed, doubtful of my career, and would probably drink a lot.

Actually, never mind, I hope you just stare blankly and let them walk out the door to prepare them for a lifetime of IT work.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Please tell me you debrief these people and explain its totally hosed and they weren't meant to succeed. If I took an interview and couldn't solve a tech test and the interview just ended I would be stressed, pissed, doubtful of my career, and would probably drink a lot.

Actually, never mind, I hope you just stare blankly and let them walk out the door to prepare them for a lifetime of IT work.

The world may never know!

Actually I give them about fifteens minutes of working on it before I cut things off and tell them that half of the USB ports are fried and won't be coming back no matter what you do. Then I have them work through their troubleshooting process on the whiteboard and ask them questions about each step, point out things they skipped (so many people don't look in the BIOS settings when dealing with nonfunctional USB ports...), etc. so hopefully it's a useful experience even if they don't get the job.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I once had to write a bash script that did some basic things in front of the interviewers. Fine, no biggie. They also asked me a few of those dumb google trick questions and left me in a windowed room with a marker and a whiteboard as they left the room and watched me from outside. Didn't take the job offer.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
I had to do some Powershell pseudocode in my interview and it ruled because I love powershell.

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
I had the "unfixable problem" test thrown at me in an interview once.

I fixed it :smug:

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
I had the "perfect toilet" question when I applied to be a Mac Genius years ago, but I'm sure everyone knows about that.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Welp potential job never called like they were supposed to this morning for my phone interview. Talked to my recruiter who was dumbfounded, rescheduled for later today. Then got another cancellation via text from my recruiter on behalf of the interviewer. He now wants to reschedule for Monday sometime but I'm done. Its reasons like this that I remind myself dont quit before you have something else lined up. That way you can afford to be selective and take your time. If I was jobless right now I'm sure I would jump through every BS hoop imaginable to get an interview.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Unless proven otherwise, I usually stay wary of recruiters/HR. Few good people, but not the norm...

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I had the "perfect toilet" question when I applied to be a Mac Genius years ago, but I'm sure everyone knows about that.

The gently caress is that?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

air- posted:

The gently caress is that?

Its that one Salvador Dali wanted to make for the ill-fated Jodorwosky Dune movie where he shits on a crystal throne and two dolphins sculpted into the back of toilet spit the waste into each others mouths.
http://www.duneinfo.com/unseen/jodorowsky/

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Welp potential job never called like they were supposed to this morning for my phone interview. Talked to my recruiter who was dumbfounded, rescheduled for later today. Then got another cancellation via text from my recruiter on behalf of the interviewer. He now wants to reschedule for Monday sometime but I'm done. Its reasons like this that I remind myself dont quit before you have something else lined up. That way you can afford to be selective and take your time. If I was jobless right now I'm sure I would jump through every BS hoop imaginable to get an interview.

This exact thing happened to me this week and it's maddening. Why would you reach out to talk to me then never actually do so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Cthulhuite posted:

I had the "unfixable problem" test thrown at me in an interview once.

I fixed it :smug:

Just don't expect us to start calling you Kirk.