Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Where I work there is coffee. It's folgers. One of my coworkers bought a keurig. He uses it to make... folgers.

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
Well at least they put effort into drip coffee. The cafés in my neighborhood will gladly spend 5 min. on a giant machine to make a fresh espresso to mix into a gallon of foam and milk but if you ask for a regular cup of coffee they'll just pour from some pot simmering in the back. It doesn't make sense that you would put less effort into coffee that's not mixed with stuff. Assholes.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

KozmoNaut posted:

Oh no no, that's perfectly sensible. Nothing wrong with paying a little more for quality that'll hopefully last longer.

I'm talking about people who can only drink coffee from $5,000 espresso machines that take up half the counter space in their kitchen to make single shots of espresso with perfect creeeema.

Not to like, be a coffee Hitler or anything, but one of the issues with having your own machine is that you need to appropriately measure the dose and grind of the espresso which is why in some coffee places they spend like, half an hour several times a day spitting out several shots to make sure it doesn't taste like vinegar. Like, there's no point in having your own machine. I wish I had some other content other than coffee Hitler "WELL ACTUALLY" info, but there you go.

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009

honda whisperer posted:

Where I work there is coffee. It's folgers. One of my coworkers bought a keurig. He uses it to make... folgers.

Still better than the Keurig McDonald's coffee cups. loving why, there is a McDonalds on every goddamn corner. It's not even good!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

honda whisperer posted:

this is worse than all the artisan bullshit and the goddamn almond milk nipple guy.

The_Hatt
Apr 29, 2005

I like to make cold brewed coffee at home, I use a bucket, a colander and large paper filters to make it. It's the laziest way to get the most caffeine into my body each morning, and it astounds me that a pint of stumptown costs as much as I spend on my whole week's coffee. Toddy pots are a scam too.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Coffee is terrible and tea usually tastes like dirty water.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
All of those buzzfeed food vids showing all that low effort "combine this unhealthy packaged food with this other unhealthy packaged food!!!" bullshit is starting to get on my nerves. I can't escape this hell.

Why. Do you realize, facebook friend, if you ate like that with the regularity you imply, that's why you're 290 pounds? jesus

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Depicted here: hipsters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZucVDrVzDpk

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Noyemi K posted:

All of those buzzfeed food vids showing all that low effort "combine this unhealthy packaged food with this other unhealthy packaged food!!!" bullshit is starting to get on my nerves. I can't escape this hell.

Why. Do you realize, facebook friend, if you ate like that with the regularity you imply, that's why you're 290 pounds? jesus

,I , agree,

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Tea chat- I really miss the tea they would serve in Iraq. Hot, strong, black tea with a ton of sugar. I've tried to replicate it, but I must be missing something, like the dust in the air or the smell of day old smashed assholes or something.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

bulletsponge13 posted:

Tea chat- I really miss the tea they would serve in Iraq. Hot, strong, black tea with a ton of sugar. I've tried to replicate it, but I must be missing something, like the dust in the air or the smell of day old smashed assholes or something.

Wow really open about military rape culture there

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

You can make coffee by pouring hot water over a sock.

You should probably put some coffee in the sock first.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

bulletsponge13 posted:

With Milk or no milk?
Either way, you need to make it super strong. Get a Samovar, cardamom, and you favorite Ceylon tea.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Apr 21, 2016

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Anos posted:

Well at least they put effort into drip coffee. The cafés in my neighborhood will gladly spend 5 min. on a giant machine to make a fresh espresso to mix into a gallon of foam and milk but if you ask for a regular cup of coffee they'll just pour from some pot simmering in the back. It doesn't make sense that you would put less effort into coffee that's not mixed with stuff. Assholes.

They could just pull a shot a dilute it with hot water for an Americano, but I'm sure some people are actually like "no, I want stale day-old drip coffee, goddammit!".

cash crab posted:

Not to like, be a coffee Hitler or anything, but one of the issues with having your own machine is that you need to appropriately measure the dose and grind of the espresso which is why in some coffee places they spend like, half an hour several times a day spitting out several shots to make sure it doesn't taste like vinegar. Like, there's no point in having your own machine. I wish I had some other content other than coffee Hitler "WELL ACTUALLY" info, but there you go.

You can get some quite good, yet inexpensive espresso machines for home use, that'll hit the required 9 bar pressure. They won't do it every 5 minutes all day every day, but they'll work for your morning Doppio just fine. All you have to do is find an appropriate grind level and learn to tamp the coffee right (which isn't that hard) and presto, good home-made espresso every morning.

Is it harder than drip coffee or a French press? Absolutely! But it's not like it requires a $5,000 espresso machine or anything.

Me? I'll just stick with my Moka pots, and the delicious dark chocolatey brew they produce (at least with these beans).

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Americano is the worst of all coffee though

Cat Potency
Aug 13, 2006

Chairman Meow

This was in a bin marked "discontinued items - 75% off" at my local Stop & Shop. I'm happy that the trendy cult of "bacon everything!" has finally collapsed under its own madness.

E:timg

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
Table bracon over bacon

Spuckuk posted:

Americano is the worst of all coffee though

Be careful not to cut yourself on all that trendy edge

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Noyemi K posted:

Table bracon over bacon

Has "I don't like thing at all" said hyperbolically become as bad as "why are they crying about their dead baby? It would probably have put them into crippling debt anyway" already? Or is "trendy edge" different from "no gently caress you dad edgelord"? Am I committing shitpost edginess right now?

EDIT: vvvvv aw, I was on the edge of my seat

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 21, 2016

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Cut it out, edgelords! :emo:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
So Stupid Food Trends:

My dad gave me a Palio Diet cookbook written by Pete loving Evans for Christmas because he asked the person at the bookshop what popular cook books are.

AMA!

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Gridlocked posted:

So Stupid Food Trends:

My dad gave me a Palio Diet cookbook written by Pete loving Evans for Christmas because he asked the person at the bookshop what popular cook books are.

AMA!

When will you be disowning your father?

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

bulletsponge13 posted:

Rigged Death Trap posted:

With Milk or no milk?
Either way, you need to make it super strong. Get a Samovar, cardamom, and you favorite Ceylon tea.

Yeah, I was going to say that maybe the specific taste you're missing is the cardamom. I have a Persian friend who lives on black tea with cardamom, and it is truly delicious.

Re: coffeechat--I am very sad that I have somehow lost my taste for coffee. I used to drink like 3-4 cups a day. One day a couple of years ago, while I was mildly sick, I made myself a cup of coffee and it tasted disgusting to me. I figured that it was just because I was sick, but lo and behold, I haven't been able to drink coffee since! I pretty much just drink gallons of tea now to get my caffeine fix.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I drink coffee cut about 40% with cream but man oh man does all that garbage looking pulled pork pisses me off. It is such a simple good food but people seemed determined to gently caress it up and it angers me as I can never order it unless I see it first to determine if it looks reasonable.

Angry about food!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Gridlocked posted:

So Stupid Food Trends:

AMA!

Eat paleo and you too can look like you're suffering from full-blown AIDS!

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

TontoCorazon posted:

When will you be disowning your father?

He is currently the butt of every cooking joke in the family for his transgressions.

For reasons he still doesn't understand.

Say Nothing posted:

This is the one he got me, mildly forgivable because he LOOKS like its a normal book wanky cookbook till the word Palio sneakily gets in there.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 22, 2016

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Doesn't that book contain stupid(and deadly) advice like feeding babies liver?

You know the organ that contains a ton of vitamin A and adults shouldn't eat more than a few.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

PhazonLink posted:

You know the organ that contains a ton of vitamin A and adults shouldn't eat more than a few.
Not either of the ones pictured above, but one of the idiot's, yes.
http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/pa...742a0f150efac10

quote:

In my view, there’s a very real possibility that a baby may die if this book goes ahead,” president of the Public Health Association of Australia, Professor Heather Yeatman, told The Australian Women’s Weekly.
That exact quote is taken from a different article but you don't need or probably want a link to a listicle.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Chai lattes are an abomination to both Chai drinkers and latte drinkers, right? Should I be ritually drubbing myself with a cardamon plant?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I love grilled sushi.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Chai lattes are an abomination to both Chai drinkers and latte drinkers, right? Should I be ritually drubbing myself with a cardamon plant?

Only because any big name cafe has the shittiest, most watery overly sweet milk chai.
I swear its like they spice it by only placing it in the vicinity of the spice.
Its like the homeopathy of chai.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Noyemi K posted:

Table bracon over bacon

Eh?

It's true though. If you want a decent long black coffee, filter is far better

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

PhazonLink posted:

No but the same guy is the the author of that one too.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Strom Cuzewon posted:

When I was in India last year, we got tea from a roadside stand outside the place where we worked, and it was most definitely chai latte and nearly indistinguishable from the "tiger spice" chai latte we get at cafés back here in Denmark. The only real difference was that the Indians serve it in small clay cups that you get to smash afterwards, whereas here you generally get a pint glass of the stuff, and they tend to frown on the smashy-smashy.

Cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, ginger and honey, tastes just like Christmas! :)

I've gotten into the habit of adding a couple of cardamom pods whenever I make otherwise straight black/green tea, it's really good.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Only because any big name cafe has the shittiest, most watery overly sweet milk chai.
I swear its like they spice it by only placing it in the vicinity of the spice.
Its like the homeopathy of chai.

Luckily every single café in Denmark uses the same extremely tasty chai blend, and so far I haven't been unlucky enough to get a lovely watered-down chai latte yet. As for sweetness, they make it rather sweet in India, so I presume that's the right way to do it.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Apr 22, 2016

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I have had ten million cups of the tea in the Middle East and 80% of the time, it's been Lipton's Yellow Label, with mint and sugar. Maybe it's a UAE thing, I dunno. Hope that helps a bit!

On topic, that retarded series about Marcel from Top Chef made me angry. Molecular gastronomy is cool, but stupid (and that dude is a tool.)

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Say Nothing posted:

That's not AIDS, but he is getting a dildo shoved up his rear end during the photo shoot.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

KozmoNaut posted:

There is still a bit of tea spergin' going on, like the whole "never wash your kettle" thing, and there are some pretty insanely priced teas out there.
Never wash your kettle? You only put water in it, which you then boil, so you probably don't need to wash it, but I can't see what difference it could possibly make to anything if you did.

People do get very dumb about the right way to make tea though. I had someone once tell me that you can't drink tea from a mug, it has to be a fine china cup, because the thickness of the mug changes the flavour. :rolleyes:

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
That is a thing though, you can tell it even with water it's slightly different drinking it out of a big chunky worry-more-about-the-floor-than-the-glass glass than a wine glass.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Europeans seem to get pissed about Americans drinking coffee from paper cups

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

We drink tons of coffee from disposable plastic cups, and most cafés will serve you coffee to go in a paper cup of some sort, so that makes absolutely no sense :psyduck:

Tiggum posted:

Never wash your kettle? You only put water in it, which you then boil, so you probably don't need to wash it, but I can't see what difference it could possibly make to anything if you did.

People do get very dumb about the right way to make tea though. I had someone once tell me that you can't drink tea from a mug, it has to be a fine china cup, because the thickness of the mug changes the flavour. :rolleyes:

Not an electric kettle or stovetop kettle for boiling water, I'm talking about old-fashioned tea pots* for brewing loose leaf tea directly in. There are all kinds of superstitions about washing those out, apparently the limescale and tea remnants left on the sides add to the flavor or something.

* I should have written "pots" instead of "kettles".

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Apr 23, 2016

• Locked thread