Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Degenerate Star posted:

jFC, Snow tracked that outbreak in 1854 with a notebook and a map, and yet somehow it's just too much trouble to do the same thing today with our technology?

That's just an embarrassing level of lameness.

It's not too much trouble, it's that they already know who caused the outbreak and don't want to admit it. That's, like, the entire point of the article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Everybody already knows it, though (I mean, I knew about it and I don't really follow the news from Haiti). The thing is, what can you do about it other than a) make sure future UN camps are set up with decent sanitation, and b) don't bring in soldiers from places where there are active cholera outbreaks?

Given the general incompetence of the UN, it's always possible that these basic precautions aren't being incorporated into future disaster relief plans, though.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

Trillian posted:

On the topic of native people, can anyone suggest some good reading material (or watching material, whatever) on recent US aboriginal history?

I'm Canadian, and I'd like to know more about what the US has been like comparatively over the last 50 years. I know more about Australia than I do about the US, which is strange.

Edit: I went and answered my demographic question. Yes, there is a higher Native population in Canada (as a percentage,) but the US population is still pretty large.

I haven't read it yet, but I've heard good things about "An Indigenous People's History of the United States" by Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz, which just came out last year.

Degenerate Star
Oct 27, 2005
unlikely

DStecks posted:

It's not too much trouble, it's that they already know who caused the outbreak and don't want to admit it. That's, like, the entire point of the article.

I got that part -- I just think "We don't have time for Victorian-era science" is an incredibly flimsy and lame excuse to give for not doing it. I guess I expected a better quality of lies from them.

Underwear
May 13, 2006

Kusaru posted:

I haven't read it yet, but I've heard good things about "An Indigenous People's History of the United States" by Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz, which just came out last year.

Another good read is "An Inconvenient Indian" by Thomas King

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
This is making rounds on Facebook - Titanic sinking in real time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs9w5bgtJC8

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Doctor Malaver posted:

This is making rounds on Facebook - Titanic sinking in real time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs9w5bgtJC8

Leo made it seem a lot more exciting.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
That is a pretty interesting video, especially the parts that take you inside as it sinks-- watching the water get closer, seeing the lights flicker out. Part of what makes it so eerie is that all the rooms and decks are completely empty, no people in the entire video. It's almost serene.

And then just about two minutes from the end, with the Titanic more than halfway in the water and going fast, it gives you this caption:

"At this point, about 1,500 people were still aboard."

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

On the subject of native peoples, this popped up on my facebook feed from a local podcast that's started digging into ancient paper archives:

Printed in the Albuquerque Journal, this day (April 18) in 1882:
“It is all very nice, esthetic and “too too,” to talk about protecting the rights of Indians to the soil, but in our opinion one American settler is worth a whole reservation of Indians and his rights are paramount to those of all the Indians existing.”

pookel posted:

Cops tend to shrug off missing persons reports when the person is, or is thought to be, homeless or a drug addict or a prostitute, because they live such transient and dangerous lives anyway, and who knows or cares where they go or what happens to them? Add racial stereotyping to this, and you see why they manage to miss so many serial killers when the victims aren't pretty white girls from nice neighborhoods.

Also I started writing up a multi-part post that deals with this sort of thing in a way, that I will likely start posting tomorrow. I hope that it's interesting enough, otherwise people can tell me to gently caress off. But I've been slowly catching up with this thread over the last 6 months or so, and I don't remember my topic coming up or if it was it was sort of mentioned in passing or with a link quite some time ago.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Parasol Prophet posted:

That is a pretty interesting video, especially the parts that take you inside as it sinks-- watching the water get closer, seeing the lights flicker out. Part of what makes it so eerie is that all the rooms and decks are completely empty, no people in the entire video. It's almost serene.

And then just about two minutes from the end, with the Titanic more than halfway in the water and going fast, it gives you this caption:

"At this point, about 1,500 people were still aboard."

I would've preferred more commentary though. The sinking is well documented so they could've added a bunch of events to the timeline.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Doctor Malaver posted:

I would've preferred more commentary though. The sinking is well documented so they could've added a bunch of events to the timeline.

I believe it's "A Night To Remember" that does this. A terrific and harrowing narrative from multiple perspectives about the sinking. I believe this is the book that takes survivor accounts and weaves them into an absolutely riveting read.

Yeah I would have loved to see that on this particular timeline.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

The West Mesa Murders

Albuquerque, New Mexico sits in the middle of the state, a city built around a river valley a mile above sea level in the high desert. Founded in 1706, the city continues to grow as much as possible constrained to the north and south boundaries by indian reservations and the east side of the city is ended by the jutting Sandia Mountain. To the west is a long stretch of open desert and mesa, long-dormant volcanoes serving to punctuate the horizon. To the locals, you’ll hear directions associated with their landmarks, specifically the east mountains and the west mesa.

East Mountains from the West Mesa, April 15 2016

The west mesa is an eerie place to begin with. Equally inviting and ominous, the west mesa rises up from the valley below, and on the mesa you can see the entirety of Albuquerque spread below you, framed by the picturesque mountains. The mesa is still, dusty, and arid in the desert sun. I worked for a time (2011 - 2014) at a building just on the outskirts of town, and a two minute walk to the west was all it took to find yourself surrounded by dirt, tumbleweeds, and an unearthly quiet. You may as well be on the moon, if the moon had tumbleweeds, I guess.

West Mesa, September 29 2014

I took to wandering around the desert on my lunch breaks for exercise and as a way of centering myself from a highly stressful job. Once you’ve wandered away for awhile, you start to become sensitive to objects and sounds. Every noise or object in the distance becomes fascinating and foreboding, and you realize that you’ve left everything and you are very much so in the wild west.

Walking in a different direction each day, I frequently thought about the quote from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas,

“This same lonely desert was the last known home of the Manson family. Will he make that grim connection?”

The truth was actually much more frightening. This same lonely desert just 100 miles to the south was the home to a name familiar to this very thread, David Parker Ray; AKA The Toy Box Killer. Ray died in custody in 2002, but during Ray’s last years, this same stretch of desert would be the home of an entirely different killer, and that home was less than a mile and a half from where I was walking. I had known about this case for years, but the concept rather than the location of the crime scene always seemed further away. When I learned that I was wandering the same area of desert, I couldn’t put it out of my mind.

On February 2nd 2009, a woman was taking her dog for a walk near a plot of land on the west mesa that was slated for construction of a new subdivision. The area had been cleared of desert flora and heavy machinery had started leveling the ground for the project. On a stretch of desert off of 118th street, almost literally the most southwestern corner of the city, Construction crews had been busy since 2005 creating large cookie-cutter communities in the area. Immediately to the north and south of this woman’s walk, houses had started sprouting up. This area had been leveled off and staked out by the development company for 4 years now, but it was this day that her dog discovered something unusual on their walk. Jutting out of the ground was a human femur.

(Next, unless this is boring: The Missing)

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Droogie posted:

NOT BORING. :justpost:

What I came here originally to post: The Marshall Project recently won a Pulitzer for that story about the girl who recanted her rape accusation under police pressure, and then later solid evidence turned up proving her story was true. Other than that story, I hadn't really read through their site before, but recently I started looking at some of their other stories on the U.S. justice system. Many of them fit well into this thread:

The Deadly Consequences of Solitary with a Cellmate: Imagine living in a cell that's smaller than a parking space — with a homicidal roommate.

Death Penalty Donnie: A judge overturned a death sentence because the prosecutor compared a black defendant to King Kong. (Bonus: juror commenting that he convicted the guy because he was "just a dumb friend of the family.")

What It's Like to Almost Get Executed: San Quentin inmate Kevin Cooper on watching the minutes tick away on his life.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
This just came up on my Facebook feed.

Basically South Korea rounding up "child vagrants" in 1988, sending them to a dormitory and pretty much have the people there rape and kill them. Oh, and of course cover this all up for years. Enjoy the read.

Madkal has a new favorite as of 20:41 on Apr 19, 2016

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

More posts pls

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006
Droogie, a while back I wrote a series of posts about some lesser known serial killings that I think a lot of people... I hate to use the word "enjoyed", but "were entertained and informed by". While I'm familiar with your subject I'm looking forward to your posts!

I should really write more about Carlton, the end of his case and what's happened recently. Hmmm

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Droogie posted:

Printed in the Albuquerque Journal, this day (April 18) in 1882:
“It is all very nice, esthetic and “too too,” to talk about protecting the rights of Indians to the soil, but in our opinion one American settler is worth a whole reservation of Indians and his rights are paramount to those of all the Indians existing.”.

Hahaha the tone of this. Maybe at your fancy hipster cocktail parties you like to suck each others' cocks and say that genocide is bad :rolleyes: but its good

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

wyntyr posted:

Droogie, a while back I wrote a series of posts about some lesser known serial killings that I think a lot of people... I hate to use the word "enjoyed", but "were entertained and informed by". While I'm familiar with your subject I'm looking forward to your posts!

I should really write more about Carlton, the end of his case and what's happened recently. Hmmm

I think it was your posts that inspired wanting to write this up. Thank you.

I have about 4 parts so far. There are a lot of elements, some of which I found on my own.

I'll have a big gently caress off list of links at the end of it, as well. I have some photos of the scene, and I'm going to take my dslr out to the scene tomorrow morning as well to help visualize the area.

Edit: whoever recommended the documentary The Wolf Pack a few pages back, thank you. I'm watching it right now as I paint. When they go out into the world and describe things as "looks like it's 3D" I started tearing up. Holy poo poo.

Droogie has a new favorite as of 22:08 on Apr 19, 2016

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

In Albuquerque's defense, we're actually prosecuting the cops who shot a mentally ill homeless man in the back. And the old DA is resigning. And the price of living is cheap.

Edit: If there's interest, I can type about the murder of Lois Duncan's daughter along with all of the bizarre coincidences that pop up when she gets psychics involved. Would just have to find my copy of her first book about it.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa has a new favorite as of 02:00 on Apr 20, 2016

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

LivesInGrey posted:

In Albuquerque's defense, we're actually prosecuting the cops who shot a mentally ill homeless man in the back. And the old DA is resigning. And the price of living is cheap.

Edit: If there's interest, I can type about the murder of Lois Duncan's daughter along with all of the bizarre coincidences that pop up when she gets psychics involved. Would just have to find my copy of her first book about it.

:justpost:

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I was recently reminded of the case of that photo that was found in a parking lot in 1989. I got to thinking, and realized the questions raised are possibly the most unnerving part of the story.
Questions like did the kidnapper leave it there on purpose, or did it just fall out of the vehicle? If it DID just fall out, why is this person carrying around pictures like these, and how many more of them are there? Is the girl in the picture really Calico? And who is the boy?

I honestly hope, as horrible as it sounds, that both the people in the picture are dead. I think of the Ariel Castro case, and don't want to think about it being that sort of a life for 28 years.

Droogie posted:

LivesInGrey posted:

:justpost:

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

LivesInGrey posted:

Defense nothing. I loving love this city.
But...
No kidding, I just had to attend a two-day "training" for law enforcement that was a complete waste for me as the second day was entirely about use of lethal force (I'm not armed). I was in a room with 500 cops. They talked about how "loving stupid" the media was about the James Boyd case because HE HAD KNIVES! HE THREATENED THE 4 DOZEN COPS THERE! THEY DID WHAT WAS NECESSARY! Nevermind that a mentally ill and surrendering man was straight up murdered. Also the second day was mostly videos of people being shot by the police met with scattered applause and laughter. I don't buy into all this thin blue line stuff.

Sorry everyone that saw my name as the last post. I will likely post part two tonight. Lots of photos to upload for that one.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

The West Mesa Murders Part 1

“The Missing”

In 2001, women started disappearing from the streets of Albuquerque. The Albuquerque Police Department (APD) would later point out that nearly all the women were involved in “high risk behavior” and were known to have connections to drug use and prostitution. APD would go on to mention this fact at basically every opportunity until present day. It was August of 2005 when APD would release a list of women it knew to be missing or had been reported missing by their families. The list would continue to grow after the release.

*Darlene Trujillo, age 20, went missing July 4th or 5th of 2001. Last seen with a man named Jorge, she was on her way to Arizona for a couple of days. It is likely that Darlene had little or nothing to do with the case as it would unfold, but her disappearance was reported to APD and it is included here as a beginning to the list of missing women in Albuquerque. It was later reported that she was likely in Mexico and still alive. For numbering purposes going forward, she will be '0.'

Monica Candelaria, age 21, was last seen near the intersection of Atrisco and Central SW on May 11, 2003. As far as the case being discussed, Candelaria is missing number 1.

Doreen Marquez, 27, was last seen in October of 2003 either near the intersection of Lead and University SE, or in the Barelas Neighborhood of Southwest Albuquerque not far from that intersection, only about 2.2 miles. It’s of note that The Barelas Neighborhood is approximately 2.5 miles from the intersection of Atrico and Central.

Victoria Chavez, 26, was last seen in “early 2004” and was reported missing to APD by her mother in March of 2005, as she felt that not having seen or heard from her daughter in approximately a year was troubling.

Veronica Romero, 27, was reported missing by her family on February 14th, 2004.

Jamie Barela, 15, and her cousin Evelyn Salazar, 27, are both last seen together leaving a family gathering with a stated destination of a park near the intersection of San Mateo and Gibson SE. They were both reported missing within a week of their departure. APD also reports that Jamie Barela is the only woman on the list with no known involvement in drugs or prostitution, but Salazar, whom she was with, was known to APD.

Syllannia Edwards, 15, was not on the list of missing women released in 2005. The reason being is that Edwards was reported missing in Lawton, Oklahoma and classified by local police as an “endangered runaway.” Edwards was last seen in May of 2004 off of East Colfax in Aurora Colorado. It is unknown if she went missing from Colorado or had moved down to Albuquerque.

Virgina Cloven, 22, was last heard from in June of 2004. The last communication with her family had consisted of her telling her father that she was moving in with a new boyfriend (named Robert, but I cannot confirm this). She was reported missing in October of 2004 when no one had heard from her since June.

Cinnamon Elks, 31, was last seen after being booked into MDC, the metropolitan detention center. Upon release in July of 2004, she was never seen again. Interestingly, no records are returned for Elks for metropolitan court and New Mexico Court case lookup.

Julie Nieto, 23, was last seen departing her grandfather’s house in August of 2004.

Michelle Valdez, 22, was last seen by her family in September of 2004. She is reported missing in February of 2005, several days after her mother’s birthday when Valdez failed to contact her. It was later found that Valdez was pregnant during the time of her disappearance.

*Anna Vigil, 20, was last seen on January 20th or 21st, 2005. No other pertinent information available.

*Felipa Gonzales, 22, was last seen on April 27, 2005, not long after being released from jail.

*Nina Herron, 21, was last seen at 5:00PM May 14, 2005 at her home, adjacent to the 8000 block of Central Ave NE

*Shawntell Waites, 29, was last seen on March 15, 2006. No other pertinent information available.

*Leah Peebles, 23, was last seen on May 22, 2006. Peebles left her home on the 2100 block of Erbbe NE (which google helpfully tells me is a 15 minute walk from my house) to go on a date with an unnamed man she had met.

The now defunct newspaper the Albuquerque Tribune would be the first to run a story on the Albuquerque women in an article titled “The Missing.” This article would not published until September 19, 2007.

[On a personal note:]
I had to dig into a lot of older timelines and articles of this case to find most of these images. Every effort was made to find images of these women that were not mugshots. The more time that passes from their disappearance, the more often I've found that it seems most publications have gone out of their way to highlight that these were marginalized women. The one that is specifically a mugshot I could only find black and white mugshots of as alternatives. At the risk of editorializing, it seems obvious to me that the colder the case gets, the less the news feels we should think about this as an injustice.

(NEXT: “The crime scene, which police called one of the largest in American history,”)

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Goddamn, Droogie. Your writeup is so good I'm forcing myself not to google the case and spoil anything for myself. I'm pretty sure I've never heard of this one before, and I don't know how (or if) it ends.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

pookel posted:

Goddamn, Droogie. Your writeup is so good I'm forcing myself not to google the case and spoil anything for myself. I'm pretty sure I've never heard of this one before, and I don't know how (or if) it ends.

Thank you. I know that by making it episodic it's a little frustrating, but believe me, I'll provide all the links you need at the end. I'm typing this literally at the discovery site. I came out to the end of the city to snap some photos.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
http://boingboing.net/2016/04/20/pre-1988-olympics-south-korea.html

Pre-1988 Olympics, South Korea sent "vagrants" (children, dissidents, disabled) to "concentration camps" where rape and murder was commonplace

quote:

In the runup to the 1988 Olympics, the South Korean government ordered Seoul's "vagrants" to be cleared from the street. Thousands of people, many of them small children, were sent to a "welfare facility" called "Brothers Home," where they were subject to vicious, often fatal beatings and routine rape. The order to round up the vagrants came from then-President Park Chung-hee (father of current President Park Geun-hye) whose successor, President Chun Doo-hwan, suppressed any investigation into the atrocities.

The people in the camp were put to slave labor, forced to produce goods that ended up in the supply chains of multinationals like Daewoo, who sent their own staff to supervise the slaves' training.

The Olympics -- whose executive committee included the disgraced fraudster Sepp Blatter until less than a year ago -- have a reputation for locating their events in places were local strongmen will assist in ethnic cleansing, corporate brand-censorship, and even -- as was the case with the London summer games -- siting surface-to-air missiles on residential roofs and reserving lanes on public roads for the use of Olympic sponsors.

What the gently caress is wrong with people :stare:

Oh and the Olympics are gonna be in DubaiRio this year, right? Gee, I bet everything's gonna go super swell there, too :smith:

edit: Brazil is gonna have a great time clearing out all the poors to prep for the summer games.

Minarchist has a new favorite as of 17:33 on Apr 20, 2016

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Minarchist posted:

Oh and the Olympics are gonna be in Dubai this year, right? Gee, I bet everything's gonna go super swell there, too :smith:
I think you're thinking of Qatar which is the World Cup. Olympics are in Rio in Brazil. But yeah both (particularly the first holy poo poo read how many people have died building it) are pretty egregious.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You'd think they would have learned from Russia and just give the Olympics to first world nations.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

whiteyfats posted:

You'd think they would have learned from Russia and just give the Olympics to first world nations.

Except first world nations have wised up that it's all a big racket and people don't want that poo poo anymore. Kind of a shame really since at it's core its about giving exposure to great athletes and events you don't normally see. The IOC is just about as corrupt as FIFA and basically have rules that you have to spend your country into debt to host it. No reusing stadiums and that kind of stuff. oh..and kickbacks. lots and lots of kickbacks.

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006

pookel posted:

I'd recommend letting it play out in the thread. This is a very disturbing case and Droogie clearly is putting in the leg work.

And because Droogie has inspired me, soon I'll restart my Stocking Strangler series. I might do some photography of places of interest next time I'm back home in Columbus.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

Except first world nations have wised up that it's all a big racket and people don't want that poo poo anymore. Kind of a shame really since at it's core its about giving exposure to great athletes and events you don't normally see. The IOC is just about as corrupt as FIFA and basically have rules that you have to spend your country into debt to host it. No reusing stadiums and that kind of stuff. oh..and kickbacks. lots and lots of kickbacks.

Wait, you can't use an already existing stadium? There's a poo poo load of huge stadiums around the world.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

whiteyfats posted:

Wait, you can't use an already existing stadium? There's a poo poo load of huge stadiums around the world.

Apparently I'm mistaken. It's just that a lot of governments don't..becuase lol money! http://gizmodo.com/tokyos-clever-plan-to-retrofit-1964-olympic-stadia-for-1277311713

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

pookel posted:

I know about this case already, but Droogie's write-up is making it refreshingly interesting. Don't spoil it for yourself though.

wyntyr posted:

I'd recommend letting it play out in the thread. This is a very disturbing case and Droogie clearly is putting in the leg work.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Part 2: The Missing

Apologies in advance- the next three starting with this one have very little writing that is my own. The odd sense of tension during the active investigation is difficult to capture, and the news of it does a much better job at creating a crushing sense of scope. To that end, This update focuses on the news of the discovery. Any emphasis mine. The following two (or maybe it will be combined) parts are image-heavy to help you get a sense of the area and how bizarre the area is. We'll get to the investigation and suspects after, and what this crime looks like 7 years from the discovery.

Part 3: “The crime scene, which police called one of the largest in American history,”

The desert is not unlike cartoons depicting the desert. There are literally piles of bones and animal skulls all over. You can walk for a few minutes in unincorporated desert and find bones.

West Mesa, September 14, 2014

Back to February 2 2009:
The woman had an uneasy feeling about this bone that her dog had found. She didn’t know it was a human femur, but she had a hunch. She snapped a photo of it and sent it to her sister, asking for help identifying the bone. The sister, a registered nurse said that it was her opinion that it looked an awful lot like a god drat human femur (or at least I imagine). The woman immediately called the police.

Just 5 days after the initial discovery, The Albuquerque Journal ran a piece about the discovery of bones on the west mesa. The article, so casual in tone, I’ll just copy the bulk of the text here, as it’s a very short piece.

Albuquerque Journal posted:

“Albuquerque police are investigating a cache of human remains discovered on the West Mesa this week, said police spokesman John Walsh.
The bones, which were found in the 10800 block of Dennis Chavez SW, were first discovered earlier in the week by a woman walking her dog. The initial discovery was tested and determined to be human, and officers have since dug up more bones. [...]
"It can run the gamut from a rancher's grave to recently buried in the past few years to ancient," Walsh said. "This happens every time there's a development, it seems like some bones are uncovered."
There are dozens of missing person cases being investigated in New Mexico, and cold case detectives are anxiously awaiting results from OMI anthropologists.”

APD, OMI, BCSO, and a cavalcade of other officials and official volunteers descended upon the scene, 100 acres of desert at the very end of the city. Departments worked 24 hours a day combing the area with everything from heavy excavating equipment to teams of people with fine mesh screens. From the Albuquerque Journal again, now 8 days after initial discovery:

REMAINS OF 3 FOUND ON WEST MESA
Authorities working one of the largest violent crime scenes in recent memory on the West Mesa have discovered the remains of three women that Police Chief Ray Schultz says were likely put there by the same person. [...]Detectives are using a database of females who have disappeared in the last decade-plus, Schultz said. They are focusing on 24 women in the database, 17 of whom they have dental records for. Authorities used dental records to identify the woman who was found in the shallow grave.

From there, the stories continued to roll in, often being able to be boiled down by a line or two, or even just a headline. ABQ Journal, February 15, 2009, 13 days from discovery:

“MORE BONES FOUND ON WEST MESA”

Actually, here’s a partial list of Journal headlines:

02/18/09: Skeleton Find Puts Count at 6

Remains for four of the six victims are incomplete, the chief said, which makes it more difficult to identify them or how they were killed. Moreover, the remains found in the past few days had no clothing or other artifacts nearby.

02/19/09: Skeleton Completed

Police believe they may have found the final pieces of Victoria Chavez's skeleton on Wednesday as they continued to excavate a large swath of the far Southwest Mesa where the remains of six people have been uncovered in the past two weeks.

02/24/09: Recent discovery on West Mesa is woman who was pregnant

The victim total includes the remains of a 4-month-old fetus whose bones were found with its mother's.
"There are 10 individuals so far and possibly more,"

02/26/09: Second Southwest Mesa Body ID’d

Late Tuesday, investigators unearthed another nearly complete set of remains less than 20 feet from where the 10th victim's body was found Monday morning.

02/28/09: Body Count: 13 (NOTE -This was later determined to be 12, 11 women and the fetus. The confusion came from finding bones away from the others that ended up being part of an existing skeleton)

An observant crime scene investigator noticed some human hair as authorities continued to excavate a patch of the far Southwest Mesa on Friday morning, leading to the discovery of yet another skeleton.

03/02/09: Lost Women: Don’t These Cases Deserve a Deeper Look? (Editorial)

like every other reporter, tried to lock down the requisite interview with the woman's grieving family.
The relatives said no.
They were angry, my friend said, because they had never forgotten that, four years before, the TV station had refused their plea for a little airtime to help them find the missing woman.

03/12/09: Slaying Victims Linked

The four women shared a common bond: A lifestyle that included a fringe existence of transient living, struggles with drug addiction and arrests for prostitution.

04/04/09: Police ID 2 More Women

At the news conference, Albuquerque Police Chief Ray Schultz for the first time referred to the women as "victims."
I just want to take a second to direct your attention back to that actual line during the investigation. It took 2 months before the police publicly acknowledged the women as victims.

06/04/09: West Mesa Victim May Not Be Local

In late April, police released a photograph of detailed artwork on an acrylic fingernail investigators found attached to the woman's skeleton near 118th and Dennis Chavez SW in February.
They had hoped a friend or family member would recognize the artwork, come forward and identify the woman.
“Unfortunately, that has not happened,” Hamby said.

06/12/09: OMI Confirms Homicide in Mesa Deaths

The lack of flesh makes determining cause of death difficult, police say. None of the mesa victims' remains had any obvious signs of trauma such as a gunshot wound.

01/27/10: Final Mesa Victim Is ID’d

She was 15 when she was reported missing in April 2004.
She is the 11th — and last — of the West Mesa victims to be identified.

In less than 20 days, the remains of 11 women and one fetus were discovered. The local news was frightening, as with that time frame, almost every day there was a new report of the discovery of another set of remains unearthed. APD’s list of missing women from 2001 was 24 people long at the discovery of the first bone, 17 of which were listed in the previous post. APD would release 7 more images in 2010 that were of a disturbing nature, and those will be provided in another update with plenty of warning. The missing women in the last update with an asterisk next to their name are missing to this very day.

APD determined that the majority of the women had been murdered and buried on the west mesa during 2003 and 2004 based on decomposition and disappearance. Initial construction and development of the land was started between July of 2004 and June of 2005 by satellite records, and the last woman that went missing that was discovered at the site was last seen by family in September of 2004. If any of the women that went missing after Michelle Valdez were victims of the same killer, it’s very that he had to change his disposal method or location due to construction crews expanding the city westward.

(NEXT: Getting our bearings)

Droogie has a new favorite as of 00:19 on Apr 21, 2016

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Just goes to show that no matter how well you hide your victims' bodies, some lady out for a nature walk can ruin all your work.

Droogie posted:

06/04/09: West Mesa Victim May Not Be Local

In late April, police released a photograph of detailed artwork on an acrylic fingernail investigators found attached to the woman's skeleton near 118th and Dennis Chavez SW in February.
They had hoped a friend or family member would recognize the artwork, come forward and identify the woman.
“Unfortunately, that has not happened,” Hamby said.

And yet another example of a significant other not noticing when she got her fingernails done becoming disastrous.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Doctor Malaver posted:

Wish granted

http://www.titanichg.com/archives/

The guys that made the animation have a podcast that follows along with the video, starting at around 10 minutes into the podcast. The audio balancing is a little funky, but they go through the video in real time talking about various events and people and stuff, and a little behind-the-scenes on the animation.

Apparently the animation is also a pseudo-advertisement for a game they're making, which is intended to be a super realistic recreation of being on the Titanic as it sinks. So that will probably be pretty terrifying.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
One time I saw a Titanium Titanic themed bouncy house and realized "yep in 100 years or less 9/11 is gonna be a children's amusement."

atomicthumbs has a new favorite as of 06:37 on Apr 24, 2016

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

atomicthumbs posted:

One time I saw a Titanium themes bouncy house and realized "yep in 100 years or less 9/11 is gonna be a children's amusement."

Jet fuel can't melt latex beams.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

atomicthumbs posted:

One time I saw a Titanium themes bouncy house and realized "yep in 100 years or less 9/11 is gonna be a children's amusement."

Doubt it, the random politically-motivated destruction of two ugly office buildings doesn't have the same emotional pull as a massive, gorgeous ship being destroyed by hubris, and it lacks the upper-class vs. lower-class narrative. The story of the Titanic begs to be romanticized, 9/11 is just a senseless tragedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Part 2: The Missing
Part 3: “The crime scene, which police called one of the largest in American history,”

Sorry everyone, got separated from my notebook full of insane ramblings and photography notes, and I didn't want to risk deviating from what I had laid out already. So over the next two posts, I want to show you the area to orient people unfamiliar with the area. In the next part, I just want to take an aside and show everyone rather than explain just how weird this patch of the desert is. These are very image heavy.

Getting Our Bearings

I want to take some time in this update to show you the area and some chilling evidence of activities, provided by Google Earth. I found these when I got interested in the whole story. To be perfectly clear, I found out AFTER I found these images that this was already a thing that people knew, so it’s not like I had special knowledge of the timeline.
Let’s return to our map of Albuquerque.

From here we’re going to focus on the southwest quadrant.

Next we’re going to zoom even farther into this odd patch of barren desert, which is where everything takes place. This is what it looks like as of November 2015. Highlighted squares are where the primary dig areas were.

Let’s take a step back in time now and zoom back out to look at the same area in 2002, just after APD’s list of missing starts. You’ll find it to be a much more desolate place.The red square is the same plot of land from the present day image.

Let’s go back to focusing on the main discovery zone within the 100 acres.

This is nothing special, a control image of a special piece of the west mesa.

5/11/2003: Monica Candelaria goes missing.

The next pass of an imaging satellite occurs January 1st of 2004. The image is not a high resolution one, and the passes jump in position slightly, but I’ve attempted to keep them framed in roughly the same manner with the help of the landscape. When I found out how close the burial site was, I started looking into the area with more than a passing curiosity. Absent from the untouched 2002 image is a fresh set of tire tracks jutting off from a makeshift off-road trail.

The next satellite pass occurs in March of 2004, after the fifth woman, Veronica Romero, is reported missing. This pass is much clearer and the tire tracks are more clearly defined. Of note along the path of the tire tracks are several patches of ground that appear to be disturbed. The imagery is still not great, and it’s likely that these patches are image noise, but given that this patch of land is the exact area that the police excavations are in, it’s equally likely that they are what we think they are- makeshift graves. I’ve pointed to just a couple, but if you look at the image, you quickly start to see several along the length.

We’re now going to jump from 2004 to the very month of discovery, February 2009. I’ve skipped over several satellite passes, but between the first image of 2005 and this image it all looks the same- bulldozed desert.

Popping back out to a larger image of the 100 acres, this is the overall area from a 2007 pass after the area had been cleared for construction, but before the discovery.

And now to an image from 7 months after the discovery, showing how much digging occurred in the area. The area in the top right that looks like it’s been cratered out? That’s the same spot where the tire tracks lead to in the satellite photos.

And here is a view of Albuquerque on April 15, 2016 overlooking the city.

Sometime between 2002 and 2006, a man stood just 50 feet from where I took this photo and hastily dug grave after grave, disposing of the bodies of multiple women. He would stand up and look out over the same city, and he would have the same view.

(NEXT: The hosed up Mysteries of the desert)