Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
https://twitter.com/duvalmagic/status/406241547772895232

Randy Pitchford compared criticism of a video game to domestic abuse, he's a dishonest shitweasel and I hope TerminX fucks him over.

In other news, the size of an average web page is now the same as an install of Doom.

Segmentation Fault fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Apr 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
The company should be called Shitbox Software after their CEO Randy 'Shitbox' Pitchford - IF THAT IS HIS REAL NAME.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I've been calling Gearbox Retard 4.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Elliotw2 posted:

It's also completely within Gearbox's rights to just cancel his contract and do it themselves since I doubt they're paying the guy.

Depends upon the contract, but probably.

GUI posted:

It's a well known fact that Randy Pitchford is a chronic liar.

Oh poo poo, this is gold. This belongs in the ShitThatDidn'tHappen.txt thread. :allears:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I know some people like that who just can't resist lying even when they'll obviously be caught out. They typically throw in just enough truth to make you never sure what's true and what's a lie. Reminds me of when Ryan claimed to have run a marathon much faster than he had during his run for VP.

It always blows me away when guys (and girls) like that make it to positions of influence.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

They're actually far more likely to be in positions of influence than normal people. Then they attract other pathological liars to the positions around them and create a reality distortion bubble that can destroy the entire organization.

Did Sega ever sue Gearbox for stealing their money and using it on Borderlands?

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Apr 21, 2016

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Elliotw2 posted:

It's also completely within Gearbox's rights to just cancel his contract and do it themselves since I doubt they're paying the guy.
Wait, you can just cancel contracts?? *sends letter to department of education*

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Woolie Wool posted:

They're actually far more likely to be in positions of influence than normal people. Then they attract other pathological liars to the positions around them and create a reality distortion bubble that can destroy the entire organization.

Did Sega ever sue Gearbox for stealing their money and using it on Borderlands?

They sorta did, in that they accused Gearbox of lying about making a good game, and the courts said Sega didn't have a viable case.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Elliotw2 posted:

they accused Gearbox of lying about making a good game

When has Gearbox made a good game though

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Segmentation Fault posted:

Probably why court ruled in their favour

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Segmentation Fault posted:

I mean, the Dreamcast port of Half-Life was pretty decent

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

You know what, let's rewind the tape a lil bit to January, 1999: http://www.ign.com/articles/1999/01/30/prax-war-cancelled

quote:

Publishing titan Electronic Arts has pulled the plug on Prax Wars, a first person shooter being developed by Rebel Boat Rocker. The word broke late last night when Randy Pitchford of Rebel Boat Rocker, lead designer on the project, confirmed the rumors in his. plan file:

"The word from EA that's out there about why Prax War was cancelled just about sums it up," said Pitchford. " 'EA's reasons were that they missed their technology window on this product and that things were not progressing as quickly as they would have liked.' "

(...)

Not all were disappointed with the game's demise. Apogee Software president Scott Miller--a former boss of the founders of Rebel Boat Rocker--offered up a plucky little ditty, based on 'Row, row, your boat', including the line 'Our game is but a dream'.

Karma is a bitch.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

laserghost posted:

You know what, let's rewind the tape a lil bit to January, 1999: http://www.ign.com/articles/1999/01/30/prax-war-cancelled

Karma is a bitch.

So basically the tussle over Duke is partially because Randy is still butthurt over a comment Scott Miller made 17 years ago.

I hope the drama surrounding Duke never ends. :allears:

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

"Aww man, I just realized I'm in a Gearbox game!"

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Linguica posted:

Wait, you can just cancel contracts?? *sends letter to department of education*

Seems like that defeats the purpose of a contract but I am not a lawyer. :shrug:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Elliotw2 posted:

They sorta did, in that they accused Gearbox of lying about making a good game, and the courts said Sega didn't have a viable case.

From what I remember, Gearbox's excuse for A:CM was that there was nothing in the contract forbidding them from outsourcing development to another company, and the case was thrown out. The other assumption was that Gearbox took the funding for Colonial Marines and put it towards the development of Borderlands 2, but there's no actual evidence to support that.

What kills me is that a while ago, Pitchford said that they want to make a new Duke game and a new Brothers in Arms game, but he wants to outsource the development like with Colonial Marines.

PC Gamer | "Concept development" on a new Duke Nukem has already been done posted:

But Gearbox isn't giving up on the franchise, and in fact IGN reports that CEO Randy Pitchford said during his keynote at Develop: Brighton that "concept development" on a new Duke Nukem game has already been done. But what Pitchford hopes to do is hook up with another developer, and let it do the heavy lifting.

"I did not acquire the franchise merely so we could all experience Duke Nukem Forever. That was the toll to pay to give Duke a chance," he said. "We’ve done some concept development [for a new game] and I think the challenges are there. Gearbox is very busy. I think the faster way is that a correct developer can become interested and we can work with them."

However it ultimately plays out, Pitchford said "the whole industry will turn its head and look" when a new Duke is announced. That's important, he added, because he believes that "getting attention" was one of the biggest challenges facing Duke Nukem Forever.

"For 10 years, these guys promised that it was going to be the greatest game ever right?" he said. "It was legendary in its vaporware status. So it has this particular pole of attention that makes it probably three or four times more famous than Borderlands as a franchise."

PC Gamer | Gearbox is "on the brink" of working on a new Brothers in Arms game posted:

"I think the next Brothers in Arms game has to be authentic and we have been working on that," he told IGN. "I feel we have unfinished business there with both the fiction and the history and I’d like to get into that. I spend a lot of time thinking about it."

Echoing similar statements made yesterday about the Duke Nukem series, Pitchford said it would take the involvement of third parties and partners in order to reinvigorate the classic World War II shooter series. Once that's done, the studio may embark on actually developing it.

"I feel like I’m on the brink of it, but we’re not quite there yet," he said. "Once it happens development will really take off and then sometime after that - if we don’t completely kill ourselves - we’ll announce. But we’re in the incubation phase with the next one there, for sure."

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Max Wilco posted:

From what I remember, Gearbox's excuse for A:CM was that there was nothing in the contract forbidding them from outsourcing development to another company, and the case was thrown out. The other assumption was that Gearbox took the funding for Colonial Marines and put it towards the development of Borderlands 2, but there's no actual evidence to support that.

What kills me is that a while ago, Pitchford said that they want to make a new Duke game and a new Brothers in Arms game, but he wants to outsource the development like with Colonial Marines.

Depending on who they outsource it to, that might not be a bad thing for Duke. I still think Allen Blum of Triptych should be on it, just on general principle. Hell let's get Levelord on there too. I say gather a ragtag group of those guys, whoever's at Raven and HumanHead, make ATOMIC STUDIOS. Or BALLS OF STEEL PRODUCTIONS. Etc.

It should be like the A-Team, these dudes all escape from their former companies like Howling Mad Murdock.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 21, 2016

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I want a new BiA game so bad, but god drat I'd rather not have it if they're gonna gently caress it up with outsourcing like they did with Pre-Sequel and Aliens.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Max Wilco posted:

So yeah, Gearbox totally took advantage of Sega but Sega hosed up the contract and let them do it legally and without requiring oversight over the subcontractor.

Why does anyone work with Gearbox?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Buca di Bepis posted:

So yeah, Gearbox totally took advantage of Sega but Sega hosed up the contract and let them do it legally and without requiring oversight over the subcontractor.

Why does anyone work with Gearbox?

They hadn't done anything quite that bad before so everybody figured they were alright. The other thing is they managed to get Valve to outsource the Half-life expansions to them, and to this day nobody else has touched Valve IP. So they've been carrying that around in their pocket as a big shining trophy.

Now post-aliens I think a lot of people changed their minds on them, but Randy is literally a stage magician and can probably trick people into thinking Gearbox is amazing if he wants to :cheeky:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Hey look, a trailer for an announcement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbDQSOmwA20

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

These normally irritate me but at least this one was cheeky enough to get a smirk. :haw:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

The other thing is they managed to get Valve to outsource the Half-life expansions to them, and to this day nobody else has touched Valve IP.
A bunch of other studios have touched gotten their messy paws on Valve's toys, but not many of them have actually released the results.

Arkane: Half-Life 2 Episode 4/Return to Ravenholm
Junction Point: Unnamed Half-Life 2 Episode/R&D Project with a Magnet Gun
Hidden Path: Various CS:Source Patches, initial release of CS:GO
Escalation Studios: Team Fortress 2 PASS Time Gamemode

This doesn't count console ports or cameos in other developer's work (Poker Night etc.)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The Kins posted:

A bunch of other studios have touched gotten their messy paws on Valve's toys, but not many of them have actually released the results.

This doesn't count console ports or cameos in other developer's work (Poker Night etc.)

That's true, but I've literally heard Randy Pitchford in person brag about how "gearbox is the only company valve trusted with its IP" so even if that isn't true, they still say it is :lol:

Not to mention both TurtleRock and that team from Digipen who made portal were both outside teams that Valve ended up incorporating into themselves, but still. Its a point of pedigree for Gearbox and they've probably been riding on that for awhile. And up until Aliens they didn't really have any colossal failures.

Posted two pages ago chief :)

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

Zaphod42 posted:

That's true, but I've literally heard Randy Pitchford in person brag about how "gearbox is the only company valve trusted with its IP" so even if that isn't true, they still say it is :lol:

Not to mention both TurtleRock and that team from Digipen who made portal were both outside teams that Valve ended up incorporating into themselves, but still. Its a point of pedigree for Gearbox and they've probably been riding on that for awhile. And up until Aliens they didn't really have any colossal failures.

Posted two pages ago chief :)

Actually it probably says more that Valve didn't ever bother to acquire Gearbox. Whenever they have worked with someone they generally just did so if they were worth it

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

The Kins posted:

Don't forget about Turtle Rock, who did the CS Xbox port, and L4D 1.

They then went on to make flop Evolve.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
They're dumb for leaving the guaranteed job security of a billion dollar business where you never have to produce anything ever.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Night Dive sale this weekend on Steam, apparently: http://store.steampowered.com/sale/nightdive/

Good discounts on sshock/sshock2/Strife if you somehow don't own them, and Turok is 50% off.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Turok really hasn't dated well, although the port is excellent. I don't think the price is right unless you were a big fan back in 1997.

Can wholeheartedly recommend Strife: Veteran Edition though - it's far better than just loading the WAD in Gzdoom or whatever as Kaiser coded in a load of extra bits. The lightmaps in particular made the graphics stand out quite a lot, and also there are some extra bits added that weren't in the original version.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
DUMP 2 is out. It has 64 My First ZDoom Maps of wildly varying quality, one secret map, one boss map and, uh, one Marathon map.

I did the lame Photoshop for the TITLEPIC and MAP09 ("Lewd"). I'm actually pretty proud of what I accomplished, and how people didn't immediately violently recoil/throw up the cross upon playing it.

Shadow Hog did MAP28 ("The Volcanic Oasis") and it's pretty impressive visually. Some nice tricks and scale in there.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Thanks! Though I think the layout wound up being a bit bland in the end. Didn't get much more external playtesting than having my brother run through it once or twice.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Heavy Metal posted:

Hell let's get Levelord on there too.

You probably don't want to know what Levelord has been up to lately.

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

Took me a while to realize what it's parodying :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Nokiaman posted:

Took me a while to realize what it's parodying :v:

Romero doesn't look quite as haggard as Hamill does. :cheeky:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

TOOT BOOT posted:

I know, he's gotta pay the bills. Levelord gotta eat! Doesn't mean the guy wouldn't still have sweet ideas for an FPS level.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

TOOT BOOT posted:

Hidden object games aren't exactly a dirty secret or anything.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Romero doesn't look quite as haggard as Hamill does. :cheeky:
Romero kind of looks like a fat lady now.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Shadow Hog posted:

Hidden object games aren't exactly a dirty secret or anything.

I meant the Kim Possible thing.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Romero also did his fair share of mobile shite. Only Ken Silverman still churns out weird voxel engines only he and one guy in Poland understands. Seriously, Silverman's website is one of my favourite places on the net, this man's day has probably more than 24hrs to churn all these utilities and coding knick knacks: http://advsys.net/ken/ the fact it's (technically) still hosted on his older brothers webserver is just wonderfully funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Casimir Radon posted:

Romero kind of looks like a fat lady now.

He tried to make you his bitch, but it backfired.