Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

You should play Bloodborne and be blown away then.

DS3's better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

TheQat posted:

meh, ds3 is the best game on any platform in a long time for me

Pretty sure no one's arguing that it's a bad game, just that it could be better. The previous games got a lot of their longevity from being able to replay with some crazy build that wasn't perfectly min-maxed, but was still fun and viable. If design changes make that too frustrating or luck-based now, it loses a lot of its charm. (Speaking PvE here, but from what I understand PvP also suffers from changes cramping goofy builds, even more so than the usual tryhard meta)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tallgeese posted:

It's really, really bad. There are likely progression blockers buried in here, if only outright stat editors.

Do you trust From to know somebody else did it to you? I sure don't.

Have you been banned already, and did you just accept that you'd be banned in order to test being able to hack the game, or do you have two accounts or what?

Or are you saying that you can hack other people and you'll never get caught for it but you could get other people banned for having the wrong items?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

DS3's better

Hahaha. Sure.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

You should play Bloodborne and be blown away then.

didn't like bb that much. it's just taste

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Also worth noting that From actually does release balance patches, and its a good bet that a lot of the more obvious stuff will get looked at eventually. I agree that the way that poise works now is not great when it comes to PvE. I want to know for sure whether an enemy is gonna be staggered.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I'm not actually convinced that Hollow Gems can drop. :argh:

...Although if what people are saying above about bleed is true, maybe RIP luck builds and I should just mash my face against the Sharp Gem droppers.

A Luck build at this point is basically just an Anri's Straight Sword build. The thing is basically the Blueblood Sword from Demon's Souls.

It's also very similar to the Dark Sword in that it gets 400 AR fully upgraded and is buffable. The builds kind of just a novelty though, since you could just pump STR for the Dark Sword and have plenty of other options if you ever decide to change up your playstyle, while LCK is pretty much exclusively relegated to Anri's Straight Sword or hollow infusions that really don't hold a candle.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Angelwolf posted:

Are there penalties for being killed by invaders and bosses, or just regular mobs?

The only penalities for getting killed in any way are:

-You lose all of your souls you've accumulated, but you can get them back if you touch your bloodstain on the spot you died.
-If you were in embered form, you will respawn in un-embered form
-You will have to restart from the last bonfire.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Every Dark Souls game is.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

YoshiOfYellow posted:

A Luck build at this point is basically just an Anri's Straight Sword build. The thing is basically the Blueblood Sword from Demon's Souls.

It's also very similar to the Dark Sword in that it gets 400 AR fully upgraded and is buffable. The builds kind of just a novelty though, since you could just pump STR for the Dark Sword and have plenty of other options if you ever decide to change up your playstyle, while LCK is pretty much exclusively relegated to Anri's Straight Sword or hollow infusions that really don't hold a candle.

You can theoretically do a goofy gimmick Sorcery build with Anri's and the Man-Grub Staff, but you still have to raise INT to be able to use most of the actually good Sorceries. It's just kinda pointless, even as a gimmick build.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Every Dark Souls game is.

We haven't had a Dark Souls game as good as Demon's Souls yet, nonetheless as good as Bloodborne.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I doubt they'll ever restore fist weapons and claws to their former glory :ohdear:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

We haven't had a Dark Souls game as good as Demon's Souls yet, nonetheless as good as Bloodborne.

I wish they would re-release Demon's Souls so I could play it.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Vermain posted:

You can theoretically do a goofy gimmick Sorcery build with Anri's and the Man-Grub Staff, but you still have to raise INT to be able to use most of the actually good Sorceries. It's just kinda pointless, even as a gimmick build.

Yeah I considered Man-grub Staff for a time until it finally hit me that INT requirements still exist. Too much stat investment for too little profit on that one I think. Unless the scalings are significantly different in a way that LCK would for some reason outdamage a traditional sorcery build. Something to test maybe?

Similarly there's the Golden Ritual Spear which lets you cast FTH scaling sorceries. These are all interesting things but the stat requirements on the spells themselves kinda limits the viability of playing around with them.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Similarly there's the Golden Ritual Spear which lets you cast FTH scaling sorceries. These are all interesting things but the stat requirements on the spells themselves kinda limits the viability of playing around with them.

What is even the point of that spear? The scaling stops at 60 either way, is it for if you started as a pyromancer then went into lightning spears but really want to use great deep soul or something?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

YoshiOfYellow posted:

That thing's got a real DS2 Sorcerer's Twinblade feeling to it, and I mean that in the derogatory sense of "no one designing this weapon understood the mechanics of the game".

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm just glad to see all the Covenants work in this one and are not terribly confusing, but remain hidden away really well. This post-launch high-activity online play is great for PvP and co-op.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

From what I've seen it is probably best to do a mix of dex and luck. The hollowed infusion doesn't completely kill the other scaling, and a lot of weapons that have innate bleed will still end up with a C in dex at +10 hollowed. Plus with the +5 luck bonus from hollow infusion you can throw that on your shield as well for a total of +10, leaving your luck at 30 while still getting maximum gains.

all the ladies say I
Aug 24, 2005

Acción de Espionaje Táctico
Had anyone attempted to kill the nameless King in phase one?

You can attack him and have numbers pop up but don't damage the health bar. I assume someone has tried and nothing happens. But due to the 'power-up' going into phase two I wonder if maybe there is something too it. I'm too bad at this game to attempt this

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'm just glad to see all the Covenants work in this one and are not terribly confusing, but remain hidden away really well. This post-launch high-activity online play is great for PvP and co-op.

The covenant system's another "one step forwards, two steps back" deal. Good to see a whole Red Eye Orb back in the game after DS2, and completely flabbergasted as to why there aren't even Cracked Blue Eye Orbs in the game when paired with the lovely-rear end Way of Blue system.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Theoretically you could pump 60 FTH and just roll with both miracles and sorceries if you wanted and you'd get better damage out of both than if you did a 30/30 pyromancy split.

And I keep forgetting about how you'd need the INT to use the spells anyways gently caress these things they are interesting but aren't usable.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

il serpente cosmico posted:

So it looks like there's no point in upgrading staves? It only appears to affect physical attack and not spell buff. Am I missing something?

It depends on the staff really. Some get more spellbuff, some don't. All magical tools will upgrade their faith/int scaling which does, in fact, buff your spells as well though.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
i'd be really happy if demon's souls got the sotfs treatment. not likely to ever happen, but it would be so fun

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Bloodborne is not a great game because it costs about five times as much as all three of the others.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Am I imagining this or was something involving demon's teased on the From twitter not too long ago?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

8-Bit Scholar posted:

That's...a bit premature to say given the ongoing issues for a lot of people with Watchdogs/Blue Sentinels/Darkmoon.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Demon's Souls is my favourite because it was just some weird game I imported not knowing anything about it then it blew me away. I think there's something about the first playthrough of your first Souls game that you don't really get when you play the other games because you already know their tricks/how they work. Demon's Souls was also way more of a brick wall for me difficulty wise than any of the other games in the series (even though I guess it's by far the easiest one in retrospect) I kinda breezed through this one/DS2/Bloodborne

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

The Shortest Path posted:

Bloodborne is not a great game because it costs about five times as much as all three of the others..

:agreed:

The only thing worse than exclusives are the brainless fans that always jump out of the woodwork to defend them when you mention how lovely and anti-consumer exclusive titles are.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Alkydere posted:

It depends on the staff really. Some get more spellbuff, some don't. All magical tools will upgrade their faith/int scaling which does, in fact, buff your spells as well though.

OK, interesting. The wiki's info on staves right now is pretty incomplete.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bloodborne is not a great game because it costs about five times as much as all three of the others.

PS4 required ahead, therefore try better job.

BobTheJanitor posted:

:agreed:

The only thing worse than exclusives are the brainless fans that always jump out of the woodwork to defend them when you mention how lovely and anti-consumer exclusive titles are.

Yes, cause heaven forbid Sony or any other console company want to have enticing reasons to buy their hardware. Do you also poo poo on Nintendo because you can't buy Zelda on the XBox?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Oblivious posted:

That's...a bit premature to say given the ongoing issues for a lot of people with Watchdogs/Blue Sentinels/Darkmoon.

Blue Sentinels work fine for me. I don't HAVE to kill the host for my spines. Anyone's will do. :getin:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

BobTheJanitor posted:

Pretty sure no one's arguing that it's a bad game, just that it could be better. The previous games got a lot of their longevity from being able to replay with some crazy build that wasn't perfectly min-maxed, but was still fun and viable. If design changes make that too frustrating or luck-based now, it loses a lot of its charm. (Speaking PvE here, but from what I understand PvP also suffers from changes cramping goofy builds, even more so than the usual tryhard meta)

This is more or less my major beef with DS3. DS2 had way more sufficiently viable builds to play around with that were fun and easy to get off the ground so that you felt like you were actually playing as <x> for most of the game rather than having to wait half the game.

I miss that variety.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Demon's Souls is what gave me my Moonlight Greatsword obsession. I still miss that thing's ability to completely phase through shields, it made Phalanx hilarious. I still remember making a huge detour in a convoluted manner to get to Seathe as soon as possible in DS1 and then having the most rear end of a time cutting off his tail for the thing. Good times.

Wait why haven't I made a Moonlight Greatsword build in DS3 yet.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

voltron lion force posted:

Am I imagining this or was something involving demon's teased on the From twitter not too long ago?

They had a picture of Bloodborne boxes with DeS stacked on top, and nothing ever came of it.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Oblivious posted:

This is more or less my major beef with DS3. DS2 had way more sufficiently viable builds to play around with that were fun and easy to get off the ground so that you felt like you were actually playing as <x> for most of the game rather than having to wait half the game.

I miss that variety.

It does seem that shields are even less useful than before; but heavy armor is really great at tanking. Backstabs, ripostes, if I'm armored up I can usually survive a few.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Also is there a way to get into the Grand Archives (not Lothric Castle but the actually Archives past Armor) early or are you definitely screwed till you kill 3 cinders? I ask because I couldn't get in, came back after dead Emma spookily addressed me, her murderer, in a cutscene, and then there was a random dead guy outside with the key. But maybe you can find him before he's dead? :iiam:

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

I thought BB was great (and the DLC was fantastic--beating Orphan of Kos on an under-leveled character in NG+ was such a great feeling), but I really wish Sony wouldn't have published it and we got a PC release. So far the only three games I played through on PS4 are BB, Salt and Sanctuary (timed exclusive) and Axiom Verge (timed exclusive). Big ol' waste of money. Hopefully we at least get a BB sequel to help justify the cost.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

HnK416 posted:

So...what the gently caress IS Irithyll?? I haven't done the boss yet but I found the bonfire at the Dungeon and the Distant Manor that looks like Anor Londo, has Silver Knights, a Divine Blessing, and a picture of Ol' Chesty Herself on the wall.

Did I literally just walk back in to Dark Souls 1??

Seems Familiar....

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

PS4 required ahead, therefore try better job.

Yes, cause heaven forbid Sony or any other console company want to have enticing reasons to buy their hardware. Do you also poo poo on Nintendo because you can't buy Zelda on the XBox?

Hey now mister, curb that rational and logical thinking, we can't have that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It does seem that shields are even less useful than before; but heavy armor is really great at tanking. Backstabs, ripostes, if I'm armored up I can usually survive a few.

Shields are still very useful, although there are certain combos that you have to roll through unless you're carting around the Greatshield of Glory. I made it through Sulyvahn with the Dragon Crest Shield to block his left hand pokes and setup parry the overhead swing.

turtlecrunch posted:

Also is there a way to get into the Grand Archives (not Lothric Castle but the actually Archives past Armor) early or are you definitely screwed till you kill 3 cinders? I ask because I couldn't get in, came back after dead Emma spookily addressed me, her murderer, in a cutscene, and then there was a random dead guy outside with the key. But maybe you can find him before he's dead? :iiam:

The Grand Archives key will only appear after you kill Aldrich, Yhorm, and AW. You can still access Lothric Castle early, but not the Grand Archives or anything past that.