Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajvhiAwFkLs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Realtalk though: this is pretty sad.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

In Training posted:

The difference is that there are like a million games that play exactly like SF64 that you could be playing instead, and there hasn't been a good Metroid game in a decade
you have that backwards, I know plenty of decent metroid-style games but what would the SF64 analog be. sin & punishment 1+2? panzer dragoon orta, from 2002?? rogue squadron 2 the launch title for the gamecube??

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Any on rails shooter basically

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
SF64 was fun and novel gameplay when it came out. Nowadays you can get similar gameplay out of a flash game. Why waste a good dev or good brand on that?

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

because outside mobile gaming, 90%+ of games seem to have been running on nostalgia ever since WoW discovered people liked their crap to look like a cartoon?

and the target audience for console/pc is getting older, what better time to continue hammering "remember that thing you like?"

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I was like what do you mean he's dead. Nah you guys are joking

*look at news*

:smith:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jon Do posted:

because outside mobile gaming, 90%+ of games seem to have been running on nostalgia ever since WoW discovered people liked their crap to look like a cartoon?

What bizarre universe do you live in

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

perhaps that was a poor example, but still - "remember that thing you like" isn't NOT going on

e: i also excluded mobile because I haven't gamed on my phone, basically ever, not because it's not happening

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Jon Do posted:

rofl if you honestly believe that a game having a distinctive artstyle is a bad thing

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Ostentatious posted:

rofl if you honestly believe that a game having a distinctive artstyle is a bad thing

I didn't say that? However, cartoon/comic-inspired graphics have been a thing for a while, and they seem to kind of blur to me? I don't suppose it directly relates to what I was getting at, though.

I probably should have been clearer, "lets take this thing some people seem to carry a torch for (starfox 64) and make a new one, but you can't REALLY change it" has been a formula more than one company has used.

JainDoh fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 21, 2016

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

generally crap means something is bad so I apologize if I misinterpreted your intentions

I think a staple of great graphical design is when a game may have what some might perceive as cartoony graphics that look great. Team Fortress 2 and Okami stand out ad prime examples.

realistic stuff just comes off as uninspired most of the time

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Wind Waker has style for miles and looks great in HD

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Cel shading has killed gaming, yet again

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlOL6hDb4NA

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Lizard Wizard posted:

Actually he was very useful in the DS version, which is cool and good.
Edge is the better prince anyway.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Yeah, I admit I have a bias against that kind of thing because I never got into comics or graphic novels. I've seen it used very well, I played a doomed MMO back in the day called Black Moon Online which I quite liked the comic look of... Max Payne 2, Bastion, Prince of Persia (08?)... But WoW and TF2 in specific, I am in the (vast) minority for not liking. I do kind of handwave it as nostalgia for child/teenhood, so I guess I should try to find a more mature way to look at it.

It's more like I think of it as, in terms of which IPs are used in games, and during design of the art style, "what will our target audience's largest nostalgia be for" is focus tested to hell and back. Not all games, for sure, but I see nostalgia as something of a well-honed tool, not a soulful appeal to someone's inner child.

JainDoh fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 21, 2016

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ostentatious posted:

generally crap means something is bad so I apologize if I misinterpreted your intentions

I think a staple of great graphical design is when a game may have what some might perceive as cartoony graphics that look great. Team Fortress 2 and Okami stand out ad prime examples.

realistic stuff just comes off as uninspired most of the time

Overwatch is maybe the best-looking game I've ever seen but I couldn't describe what makes it look so good to me. It's just the feels.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

They've changed up the new player experience a bit and ostensibly made things easier to start, and in fact our very own Games Forum Moderator VideoGames is posting his experience starting the game in the Eve Thread right now.
These posts were very cheering to read. I don't think I'll ever take the plunge into EVE but it sounds like that could be fun. Sounds like what would probably end up happening if I got No Man's Sky, just puttering around harvesting everything I can and trying not to get blown up too much.

Though I bet if I went dredging through my Steam library I've probably already got several different games I set aside where I could be a space miner til I got dreadfully bored with it. I'm really bad about that.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
VGs posts in the EVE thread help drown out the dumb slapfights the Goons in GSF have with non-GSF SA posters.

Edit - Here's a trailer that's for the more ~cinematic~ EVE Valkyrie and its new game mode CCP are putting out for it this summers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwznFUJ0ejY

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 21, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

In Training posted:

Any on rails shooter basically

Star Fox was never simply a rail shooter and it's nuts to pretend it ever was. That's like calling Zelda a beat-em-up.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Lurdiak posted:

Star Fox was never simply a rail shooter and it's nuts to pretend it ever was. That's like calling Zelda a beat-em-up.

It's a rail shooter with a slightly larger rail than normal.

Although granted it had some levels that broke the formula (like the super awesome Independence Day one)

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Nah, a rail shooter with a wide rail is Knife Edge Nosegunner. Star Fox is more like a 3d shmup.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

gently caress genres

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
no genres no masters

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Star Fox is a part of shootem mans genre along with Doom, Bayonetta, and Math Blaster.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

what?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The idea that "cartoon style" graphic are more homogenous or boring than realistically styled tactical urban shooters is fuckin lol.

As though "just make it cartoon style" is some sort of cheat and doesn't require a poo poo ton of art design to pull of and make it look good.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think a lot of people generally confuse "cartoon graphics" with "high contrast" aka knowing something about color balance and not making your game a grimdark sludgy mess.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Saw this on imgur:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
maybe the reason people have different standards and ideas about what a metroid sequel and a star fox sequel should be is that super metroid is a great game that's stood the test of time and star fox 64 isn't

I mean, that's how I feel, so I'm not sure how being hype about a super metroid retread and annoyed by a star fox 64 retread would make me a hypocrite for ex

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Palpek posted:

Saw this on imgur:

If anyone knows how to make perfect video games, it's imgur.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
starfox 64 owns

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

There are many things I would compare LIMBO's art style to before Edward Gorey

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

corn in the bible posted:

starfox 64 owns

it's pretty fun and i don't begrudge you that, when a buddy brought an n64 to the local practice space a while back it was the game i played besides mario

but i get the urge to replay super metroid or mario 3 like once a year and i've never played sf64 for any reason other than "it's there" so i just do not have the love in my heart...

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

the background to that loops "all your base are belong to us"

sick meme

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

No - No - No - No - No - No - Platform - No - No - No - No - No

=Psychonauts

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I get all my game choosing advice from an online gambling site

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I can't play Street Fighter because its realistic violence is too upsetting, its true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i'm pretty sure dmc3 isn't the hardest game ever

• Locked thread