Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The BMW i8's engine note is nearly 100% synthetic.

Honestly, it doesn't sound bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

LeeMajors posted:

I thought it was well-publicized the Ford or someone did the fake-exhaust-note-over-speaker thing already? Like on a large scale.

Yeah there's a video on youtube floating around where someone found a way to fiddle with the RPM gauge and he noticed that an engine note would play over the speakers at different RPM levels.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Kraftwerk posted:

Yeah there's a video on youtube floating around where someone found a way to fiddle with the RPM gauge and he noticed that an engine note would play over the speakers at different RPM levels.

Ford calls it Active Noise Control because they can either play the engine sound to make it louder, or else play it out of phase to try and get a noise cancelling effect.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

LeeMajors posted:

I thought it was well-publicized the Ford or someone did the fake-exhaust-note-over-speaker thing already? Like on a large scale.

Ford has started doing that with their big trucks now, since people want the V8 noise but the V6 fuel economy and cost. BMW and Volkswagen are the worst offenders, though, with most of their current cars playing a recorded audio clip over the car's stereo.

VWs are just full of lies.

Every manufacturer is going to be doing it eventually, though, I'm sure.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Sagebrush posted:

Every manufacturer is going to be doing it eventually, though, I'm sure.

I mean if it's a microphone in the engine compartment then it's just an electronic version of a sound tube in the firewall to physically pipe in engine noise while still reducing other noise. That seems ok. It's the prerecorded sounds that are cheesy and lame

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Sagebrush posted:

Ford has started doing that with their big trucks now, since people want the V8 noise but the V6 fuel economy and cost.

Ah, right. I'm sure this is a hit with the Hard-Dick American Full-Size Truck Consumer.

Kraftwerk posted:

This is so lame, just loving make an engine worth listening to.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

LeeMajors posted:

This is so lame, just loving make an engine worth listening to.

People want quieter cars and don't want engine drone but do want to hear the engine when it revs. You can use a microphone with software controlled playback or else you can have an active sound tube thst dynamically adjusts. Or just go nuts and put in exhaust cutouts. I think the last one is the best option but I can understand why they go with the electromic option since an actual physical tube means more moving parts and packaging issues.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
Exhaust cutouts are awesome. If I bought a Camaro, that would be a must-have option.

I heard some old guy pulling up to the gas station in his new Camaro SS with the exhaust cutouts opened and it sounded absolutely amazing for a factory setup.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I heard a 6.4l challenger today and it owned.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

LeeMajors posted:

Ah, right. I'm sure this is a hit with the Hard-Dick American Full-Size Truck Consumer.

Yeah, that's why Ford (and other manufacturers) have been pretty quiet about it.

Luckily you'll never need that kind of stuff on a motorcycle, what with the engine and exhaust sitting four feet away from your head. Even the electric bikes have really distinctive electric warbling and howling sounds that you can only start to hear when the parts are open to the air.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

I saw something on Recently Dead Top Gear about some Renault hot-hatch with user-selectable exhaust noises. I'm just waiting for the day where I can tell my car that its engine should sound like a Detroit Diesel, or a top fuel dragster, or a WRX, or a Formula 1 car, or a Busso, when all it really is is just a Focus.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Sagebrush posted:

Luckily you'll never need that kind of stuff on a motorcycle, what with the engine and exhaust sitting four feet away from your head.

How long is your torso??

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm 6'. The exhaust is down by the ground and behind me, but the engine is right at my nuts, so I averaged.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
I don't know if the Mustangs play audio in the car. I know my GFs 2012 has a tube that goes from the intake into the cabin with a little diaphragm on it to allow sound to pass but not air. It also has a few foam plugs to quiet it. I'm personally a fan of the idea. Let's you dial in how much "cold air intake" sound you want.

Grater
Jul 11, 2001
Might seem like a nice guy, but cross me once...

KozmoNaut posted:

That video eventually became this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k85mRPqvMbE

And the world became a slightly shittier place to be. That loving thing was EVERYWHERE ~10 years ago.
I'm pretty sure that voice also inspired Minions, so yes, gently caress that thing forever.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

I was in a 2016 TT, and I could swear it makes fake engine noises through the speakers in Sport mode when you give it the beans. Might just be some induction or turbo noise or something since I'm not used to actual good cars or turbos.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

a primate posted:

I was in a 2016 TT, and I could swear it makes fake engine noises through the speakers in Sport mode when you give it the beans. Might just be some induction or turbo noise or something since I'm not used to actual good cars or turbos.
VAG uses a device called a soundaktor. It's a speaker under the hood that uses the firewall as a resonator. It plays "amplified engine noise".

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Mr. Apollo posted:

VAG uses a device called a soundaktor. It's a speaker under the hood that uses the firewall as a resonator. It plays "amplified engine noise".

That's actually pretty neat, I didn't expect it to be that complicated.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

a primate posted:

That's actually pretty neat, I didn't expect it to be that complicated.

It's VW.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
In the Mk5 GTI they used a plastic tube off the intake that went to the firewall to 'enhance' the sound. The 'noise pipe'.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

a primate posted:

I remember Top Gear mentioning some car (M3?) injecting fuel directly into the exhaust manifold, resulting in pops on throttle lift. They presented it as if its sole purpose was to make NOIIIIISE but I guess it could also cool down the exhaust.

Mini Coopers do this in sport mode and it's really annoying, especially because sport mode is legit fun otherwise. They actually took it out one year and enough people complained that they put it back in for the following years. These must be the same type of people that put M badges on their base 3-series.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Hikaki posted:

Mini Coopers do this in sport mode and it's really annoying, especially because sport mode is legit fun otherwise. They actually took it out one year and enough people complained that they put it back in for the following years. These must be the same type of people that put M badges on their base 3-series.

Um no. Cars that fart and pop on overrun are excellent and more of them should do it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Totally, and if I were driving an actually reasonably fast car, I'd want loving flames to shoot out of the exhaust. As it is though, that would just look extremely embarrassing which is also why I'm keeping the stock exhaust system.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

drgitlin posted:

Um no. Cars that fart and pop on overrun are excellent and more of them should do it.

On my V8 RWD supercar, yes. On my 1.6L 4cyl glorified econobox that only does it because the ECU decided it would sound cool? Not really.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
My abarth would be decidedly less awesome if it didn't bark and pop like a lunatic at every upshift over 4,000 rpm

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Hikaki posted:

On my V8 RWD supercar, yes. On my 1.6L 4cyl glorified econobox that only does it because the ECU decided it would sound cool? Not really.

Then maybe you don't press the "sport" button and leave us to have our fun.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Hikaki posted:

The i8 has a 1.5L three-cylinder engine and in sport mode it makes the most adorable little pops and bangs.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
There was an i8 at the last autocross I went to. I thought it kind of sounded like little farts. Not quite enough loud to it for my taste.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

eyebeem posted:

My abarth would be decidedly less awesome if it didn't bark and pop like a lunatic at every upshift over 4,000 rpm

Has no muffler from the factory right? What you expect

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
drat the new Cayman looks good.

http://jalopnik.com/2017-porsche-71...dium=socialflow

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
tail lights look like a dodge dart and the wheel options look like poo poo

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Dodge Dart? Is that thing still around? Some sort of Tom Brady Simpsons joke here.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

And, as I said a couple pages back, the new 4-banger turbo sounds like a riced-out WRX.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Lexus IS facelift.........

:stonk:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

What is the shelf in front of the headlight for?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Good grief thats awful

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

One ugly motherfu- *is cut down by Toyota Mothership*

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

I heard a 6.4l challenger today and it owned.

I've been looking at a new 6.4L Charger. Good grief the noise it makes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

fknlo posted:

Lexus IS facelift.........

Keep getting all the poo poo out of your system Toyota, I won't be ready to buy this generation.