Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Taima posted:

13 inch Pro 32GB on sale for a mere $640:

http://deals.ebay.com/5002870328_Ap...9999&rmvSB=true

such a better deal than the 10 inch Pro.

God. drat.

All these sales on 13" Pros is scaring me that they haven't sold for poo poo and the resolution/size is going to be abandoned. Because I'm paranoid. It's already annoying how many apps are blown up bullshit on the 13 and it's been out like 6 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!

ddogflex posted:

God. drat.

All these sales on 13" Pros is scaring me that they haven't sold for poo poo and the resolution/size is going to be abandoned. Because I'm paranoid. It's already annoying how many apps are blown up bullshit on the 13 and it's been out like 6 months.

No way they abandon that size.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

milkaxor posted:

No way they abandon that size.

It's more a back of my head thing. I don't really think they are. The lack of developer support kind of sucks though. I mean, poo poo, even Facebook is unusable on the 13. They can't add a loving resolution? I don't even care if it uses the space better, I just don't want JUMBO text and JUMBO keyboard.

After having the 13 for a month or so I cannot see myself going back. I didn't restore the 13 from a backup so I'm still playing a game or two on my old Air occasionally and it feels comically small now.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I don't know anything about adoption rates but if it's lack of developers it might be because the 13" iPad Pro is pretty god drat expensive at $800 for a base model. You could argue that an iPhone is up there too at $750 (or $650 for the 16 GB version to be generous) but a phone is something that "everyone" needs and doesn't mind upgrading and it gets a poo poo ton of use. An iPad on the other hand, especially one the size of a MBP, is gonna stay at home and get way less use and people aren't gonna be able to justify spending $800 for it. I guess if people really needed a "pro" model they'd spring for it but most other people are probably happy with just an iPad mini.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I bought the 10" iPad Pro because I wanted to be able to use it with one hand occasionally and because I knew that the majority of apps still hadn't updated for the larger screen size (there were even a couple of apps installed on the demo unit in the Apple Store that weren't).

There are a couple things that make me wish I had gotten the larger one (most notably larger PIP) but I'm quite happy with my 10" Pro.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

I don't know anything about adoption rates but if it's lack of developers it might be because the 13" iPad Pro is pretty god drat expensive at $800 for a base model. You could argue that an iPhone is up there too at $750 (or $650 for the 16 GB version to be generous) but a phone is something that "everyone" needs and doesn't mind upgrading and it gets a poo poo ton of use. An iPad on the other hand, especially one the size of a MBP, is gonna stay at home and get way less use and people aren't gonna be able to justify spending $800 for it. I guess if people really needed a "pro" model they'd spring for it but most other people are probably happy with just an iPad mini.

I can understand needing the hardware if you want to test against any weird hardware quirks, but honestly for just UI placements/sizing that can be done in X-code. Hell you can even set up the Xcode simulator to show you how it will look scaling-wise.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

flosofl posted:

I can understand needing the hardware if you want to test against any weird hardware quirks, but honestly for just UI placements/sizing that can be done in X-code. Hell you can even set up the Xcode simulator to show you how it will look scaling-wise.

Yeah I was going to say I'm not sure the cost of device entry is really a factor when Xcode comes with a simulator.

Probably more of a "we don't really care to spend the few hours making changes and testing the app" deal.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Boris Galerkin posted:

According to Digitimes, 13" iPad Pro sold less 3 million in it's release quarter which is a horrific number even by iPad standards. The market is saying it was too bloody expensive especially without the accessories included, and the last thing you really want to do when selling niche hardware is to rely on third parties for software support.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Protocol7 posted:

Yeah I was going to say I'm not sure the cost of device entry is really a factor when Xcode comes with a simulator.

Probably more of a "we don't really care to spend the few hours making changes and testing the app" deal.

It want to say the hassle of having to go through Apple's approval gauntlet every time you put out an updated version is more an issue, but sadly I think you're right. I've seen plenty of apps go through multiple updates before the UI gets fixed. Noteshelf, which to me has the BEST "inking" of note taking apps took until just recently to scale the UI for the big iPad Pro.

Palladium posted:

According to Digitimes, 13" iPad Pro sold less 3 million in it's release quarter which is a horrific number even by iPad standards. The market is saying it was too bloody expensive especially without the accessories included, and the last thing you really want to do when selling niche hardware is to rely on third parties for software support.

Horrific across all models, but the iPad Pro (at least the big one) has been pretty much marketed towards content creators and "professionals". It's a niche within a niche.

And this problem is the same problem we had when screen sizes changed in the iPhone 4 to 5 and then 5 to 6/6plus. Some of the apps I used took almost a year to update their UI. Its irritating, but I don't think it's the problem you think it is. I just worked with it, and got mildly annoyed when "LARGE-SIZE BABBAYS FIRST KEYBOARD" popped up and then kept on trucking. I never impacted my decision to actually buy an iPhone/iPad. It influenced my decision to use a competing app.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 22, 2016

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Apple needs to lower the price on it. At least take $100 off of it.

Frankly I think they kind of need to do it to the whole iPad line- except maybe the Mini- but I can't imagine how they'd do it without people immediately yelling fire and brimstone about tablets, Apple, or both.

Either that or they need to start maybe bundling peripherals and pushing the iPad Pro more as a complete system than as a bigger iPad with some available add-ons.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Apple needs to lower the price on it. At least take $100 off of it.

They do. I think it works like this:

The Pro is a business device, so it makes very little sense to lower the price or put it on sale. That would just lower margins unnecessarily, because people who want it for work just expense it... no one cares if it's $100 less or whatever. I know at my work, we don't tend to care about the price of the devices people receive, generally speaking, as long as they can make a good case as to why they need it.

But that's a niche market, so there are very consistent channels through which to get them cheaper. This seems like an effort to boost device purchases among consumers, who are more price sensitive, while avoiding dropping the MSRP for business customers who won't care anyways.

I could be totally wrong about this, but it's pretty remarkable how often the Pro is on sale through off-channels like Ebay, Amazon 3rd party vendors, etc. you can almost always get one significantly cheaper than MSRP if you know where to look.

It's hard to believe that this is a mistake, as Apple is pretty strict on their pricing for most of their devices. It's much more likely, in my opinion, that they are letting devices go at a cheaper price through certain third party channels in an effort to increase adoption beyond business use.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Does Apple not offer the Air 2 with 128GB of storage anymore?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The ipad pro 9.7 is like a hundred bucks cheaper at costco and I'm legit upset I didn't see that before I bought mine at the stupid apple store for the full price

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Calaveron posted:

The ipad pro 9.7 is like a hundred bucks cheaper at costco and I'm legit upset I didn't see that before I bought mine at the stupid apple store for the full price

How long ago did you buy it? I think I remember the apple store having a decent return policy.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

dik-dik posted:

How long ago did you buy it? I think I remember the apple store having a decent return policy.

I wanna say two weeks? Anyway I don't mind now but for future reference and to advise people who are on the fence, just go to muthafucking costco and get yourself a cheaper pro and some biscotti and a bag of chips as big as a sleeping bag.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
So just return it and buy it at Costco.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You enter a Costco and you somehow leave with 200 rolls of toiler paper

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Cozmosis posted:

So just return it and buy it at Costco.
Or call up the card issuer you used to purchase it and they'll give you the difference back. Most decent cards have price protection these days.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
Can someone help me find one of these for an iPad Mini 4?
http://smile.amazon.com/Titanium-Tempered-Protector-WONFAST%AE-Mini-Gold/dp/B010WMK9ZQ

Basically tempered glass with a gold border.

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.

pipebomb posted:

Can someone help me find one of these for an iPad Mini 4?
http://smile.amazon.com/Titanium-Tempered-Protector-WONFAST%AE-Mini-Gold/dp/B010WMK9ZQ

Basically tempered glass with a gold border.

Isn't the iPad Mini 4 exactly the same in terms of dimensions than the Mini 1? In that case, just buy that one.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

I Am Crake posted:

Isn't the iPad Mini 4 exactly the same in terms of dimensions than the Mini 1? In that case, just buy that one.

No it's slightly narrower and slightly taller.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Or call up the card issuer you used to purchase it and they'll give you the difference back. Most decent cards have price protection these days.

Where they will price match other retailers? I only know of it where they will match if the price changes where you bought it.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

ddogflex posted:

Where they will price match other retailers? I only know of it where they will match if the price changes where you bought it.

Citi has a service they call "Price Rewind" that matches other retailers. I'm sure other banks/card issues probably do to.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

dik-dik posted:

Citi has a service they call "Price Rewind" that matches other retailers. I'm sure other banks/card issues probably do to.
Yeah, this.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If you can find a local Walmart near you with stock, they're clearancing the iPad Mini 3 16gb down to $150

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Apple-iPad-mini-3-16GB-Wi-Fi/37650848

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

If you can find a local Walmart near you with stock, they're clearancing the iPad Mini 3 16gb down to $150

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Apple-iPad-mini-3-16GB-Wi-Fi/37650848

What is that, a five year old tablet at this point?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

tuyop posted:

What is that, a five year old tablet at this point?

It's essentially an iPad mini 2 with Touch ID. That generation came out in 2013 and is the same internals as an iPhone 5S and Air 1

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

e.pilot posted:

It's essentially an iPad mini 2 with Touch ID. That generation came out in 2013 and is the same internals as an iPhone 5S and Air 1

Yeah that's what I meant. I use a mini 2 every day. It's fine but definitely starting to show its age. I don't think I'd buy one for $150 but maybe the difference between a $150 thing and a $500 thing is more significant than I'm thinking right now.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

tuyop posted:

Yeah that's what I meant. I use a mini 2 every day. It's fine but definitely starting to show its age. I don't think I'd buy one for $150 but maybe the difference between a $150 thing and a $500 thing is more significant than I'm thinking right now.

It's pretty good compared to mini 2 for $270 new. If you just need a tablet for basic or kiosk needs its a great price.

Air 2 or mini 4 still the way to go as a daily device though - the 2 GB RAM is a big difference.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Compared to anything else you can get at that price point it's fantastic.

Vaz
Feb 15, 2002
Vurt Refugee
How much does 9.7 pro camera bump is bothersome?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Probably not very. I've literally never used an iPad with it sitting flat on a table.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
^^--This.

My Air doesn't have a protruding camera but I never lay it flat on a hard surface. I'll always put it on top of its sleeve if I'm gonna set it down somewhere that isn't pillowy. Sometimes it'll end up on top of a book or whatever, but never flat on, like, a table or the floor. That's part of how I've kept it so clean without any case or skin bullshit. All nude, no 'tude.

Anyway, the camera shouldn't be an issue if used like that. Alternatively, a skin/shell should make the camera sit flush, but why cover up that sexy rose gold we all know you want?

And I'm not just saying it because I'm biased toward having the nicer camera (not for dipshit iPad photography, for actual work and school stuff. If it's as nice as the 6S' then it's a drat useful thing to have if you do a lot of scanning/imaging/benchwork that you want to document quickly).

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Is there a consensus on which is the best iPad for reading comics? I'm eyeing the 9.7 inch Pro, but would like the goon verdict.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

IPad Pro 12.9". You can comfortably read two pages in landscape and the entire screen is nearly filled.

After that, the 9.7" are fine, though single-page portrait reading does leave a pretty significant portion of the screen black. The two pages on the 12.9" are only slightly smaller than one on 9.7".

If you go for the middle one, an iPad Air 2 is probably good enough, honestly. Refurbished ones are a good deal and you can even get 128 GB models.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Yeah it's kind of a mixed bag. 12.9 is the best size-wise, and 9.7 has the best screen in terms of color and contrast, but if you're getting an iPad mostly just for comic reading the Air 2 is going to do you just fine. You still get multitasking, and only really lose the better speakers and Pencil/Smart Keyboard support.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
Thanks everyone! Don't know how I can pass up the 12.9 inch screen. drat.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
The only downside is apps. If you plan to really get into the App Store, a lot of apps aren't optimized for the bigger screen yet. They just get stretched from 9.7" which is pretty balls.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
The 12.9 inch pro screen is the best thing for comics. I grabbed one but ended up returning it due to it being a bit too heavy, if it's not heavy for you then get that. I have the 9.7 inch pro now. The screen quality is great but a bigger screen would be nice. I'm hoping the larger pro weight hits the pound mark on the next revision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
Loving the screen. So huge.

Is there still no way to download files (From BitTorrent or elsewhere) directly to the iPad?