Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

feedmegin posted:

Luckier than some of the people who were enslaved in Africa by Africans, too, which is a line pro-slavery people in the US pushed. 'Over here we take care of them like they're our kids; if they were back in Africa they'd literally be eaten/sacrificed so this is better'.

Not totally inaccurately either - check this poo poo out, for instance - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annual_Customs_of_Dahomey

Of course that sort of thing was also very handy for pushing colonialism too!

Well, it is totally inaccurate in that the "we treat them like family" line was a bunch of pro-slavery horseshit spouted by both people defending the institution in the ACW and its apologists after the fact. For every well-published example of a guy who treated his slaves half way decently - Washington inevitably comes up in these discussions - there were lots more who were utter shitheads. Even some of the "nicer" ones could have a pretty ugly side. Jefferson was generally credited with treating his slaves OK but he also did the math and figured out that the "natural growth" (i.e. reproduction) of his slaves was of far greater economic import to his estate than the actual loving farming, which really seals the idea that they were property to be disposed of in order to profit their owner. And as nice as he supposedly was, there is a whoooooooole lot of room to discuss just how welcome his nighttime visits to Sally Hemmings were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

Well, it is totally inaccurate in that the "we treat them like family" line was a bunch of pro-slavery horseshit spouted by both people defending the institution in the ACW and its apologists after the fact. For every well-published example of a guy who treated his slaves half way decently - Washington inevitably comes up in these discussions - there were lots more who were utter shitheads. Even some of the "nicer" ones could have a pretty ugly side. Jefferson was generally credited with treating his slaves OK but he also did the math and figured out that the "natural growth" (i.e. reproduction) of his slaves was of far greater economic import to his estate than the actual loving farming, which really seals the idea that they were property to be disposed of in order to profit their owner. And as nice as he supposedly was, there is a whoooooooole lot of room to discuss just how welcome his nighttime visits to Sally Hemmings were.

Yes, I probably should have noted that. I was saying this was the line they were pushing, not claiming it was actually true, lest I come off like a Klan member or something. :)

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Nenonen posted:

Isn't that how all railroads pretty much everywhere have started? At first you had mining companies building narrow gauge tracks, passenger rail came as an afterthought in Europe as well.

In the case of colonies as large and rich as the Indian subcontinent, hell yes they were in the business of building more than just railheads from resources to ports. Building a robust transport network was also important for moving troops around the region (just like it was an important factor in continental Europe). India of course was the crown jewel and can't be compared to smaller one port city colonies.

I wouldn't say passenger rail was an 'afterthought' for railway planners. In the very early 19th century the only viable steam railways were things like colliery lines due to the fact that steam locomotives were not very powerful and people had not quite figured out how to make tracks. Once this got sorted out people were building passenger and freight lines. The Liverpool and Manchester, the first steam traction only, double tracked intercity railway was built in 1830 and intended for both freight and passengers.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Cyrano4747 posted:

Well, it is totally inaccurate in that the "we treat them like family" line was a bunch of pro-slavery horseshit spouted by both people defending the institution in the ACW and its apologists after the fact. For every well-published example of a guy who treated his slaves half way decently - Washington inevitably comes up in these discussions - there were lots more who were utter shitheads.
From A Narrative of the Adventures and Escape of Moses Roper, From American Slavery, 1848:

quote:

“A large farmer, Colonel McQuiller in Cashaw county, South Carolina, was in the habit of driving nails into a hogshead so as to leave the point of the nail just protruding in the inside of the cask; into this, he used to put his slaves for punishment, and roll them down a very long and steep hill. I have heard from several slaves, (though I had no means of ascertaining the truth of this statement,) that in this way he had killed six or seven of his slaves.”
Just like family.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

its pretty good general rule that the bigger the operation the worse it got. when you only had 3-5 slaves and you worked with them it was a very different interaction than being a plantation owner. normally all of the "treated like family" stories are cherry picked from small family farms or whatever since yeah, you can find some examples of former slaves sticking around since jim crow made other options less appealing then sticking with the former master who was not all that bad.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

SeanBeansShako posted:

East India Company looks the other way and is like 'famine? what famine?'

I have a certain amount of sympathy for the officials who actually gave a poo poo about the locals.

My personal favorite is probably the first governor general of Bengal (phoneposting and cannot remember name :saddowns: ) who basically spent enormous amounts of time and paper asserting that A) Bengalis had an assload to offer the empire above and beyond their value as expendable labor and B) treating them humanely and allowing them a certain amount of agency was the most efficient and beneficial for everyone involved strategy.

These folks didn't exactly always win the arguments.

Edit: admittedly if I were born two hundred years earlier I'd be using the phrase "white man's burden" unironically, but so did some decidedly non shitheads. :colbert:

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Edit: admittedly if I were born two hundred years earlier I'd be using the phrase "white man's burden" unironically, but so did some decidedly non shitheads. :colbert:

There is an argument to be made that what we today call development aid is pretty much exactly the same concept, and it is widely accepted by the political mainstream as something we should do.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I have a question for Hitler's brain: if Hitler himself had not been a victim of chemical warfare, do you think the Nazis would have used it in WW2? What about biological warfare?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
There's always going to be a spectrum of people ranging from those who believed in the imperial project, those that thought it was the lesser evil, and those just in it for wealth and power.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Nebakenezzer posted:

I have a question for Hitler's brain: if Hitler himself had not been a victim of chemical warfare, do you think the Nazis would have used it in WW2? What about biological warfare?

I've no idea, but if they had, they probably would have dropped it on all those pesky forts that formed pockets and such, as well as any ghetto uprisings.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Nebakenezzer posted:

No way to answer. It's deep in to gay black hitler territory.

That said, I think that a lot of the things that made chemical weapons attractive in WW1 weren't there in WW2. You see a lot few combats on fixed positions where just gassing a fuckload of people makes sense. A lot of the use of gas in WW1 was to try to drive people out of trenches, natural low-points where it would settle. When you're in a much more fluid war of movement it's just not as useful a weapon as when you're dug in on static lines for years on end.

Really, now that I think about it, if anyone was going to use gas it probably would have been the US just blanketing Shitheap Atol #245 for a few weeks to make the landing that much easier.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

ArchangeI posted:

There is an argument to be made that what we today call development aid is pretty much exactly the same concept, and it is widely accepted by the political mainstream as something we should do.

I am completely on board with this interpretation, and also, surprisingly, in favor of developmental aid. :v:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Nebakenezzer posted:

I think Hitler's personal experiences have been overplayed. Chemical weapons weren't all that effective or reliable in WW1 and in WW2 everyone had gas masks from the start, why even bother?

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

I think it's also important that Black Codes enforced in most Southern states made it illegal to be too nice to your slaves, lest one slave owner's mercy lead to unrest among the property of the rest. Cruelty was mandatory, kindness forbidden, and this was explicitly and legally enforced to prevent uprisings.

Also the whole 'slaves in Africa too' thing is kinda BS because, for one, the New World demand for labor created a huge and distorting market for chattel that handed more weapons over to whatever groups were more willing to take slaves. Funny how that tends to lead to a growth in slaver polities...

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Cyrano4747 posted:

Really, now that I think about it, if anyone was going to use gas it probably would have been the US just blanketing Shitheap Atol #245 for a few weeks to make the landing that much easier.

IIRC the Japanese were really, really scared of US gas attacks, to the point that while they had their own gas program, they weren't willing to put it into use, even if the US forces used gas in isolated cases, to avoid creating an environment of full-scale gas warfare.

Nenonen posted:

I think Hitler's personal experiences have been overplayed. Chemical weapons weren't all that effective or reliable in WW1 and in WW2 everyone had gas masks from the start, why even bother?

There is the deal with sarin/tabun, where mirror imaging resulted in the Germans not using gas due to fear of retaliation in kind.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

They were. I cannot find it now, but just a couple of weeks ago I was reading a transcript of a post-war interrogation of some Japanese Army bigwig, where they asked him in detail about the Japanese plans to defend their home islands against US invasion.

They were planning huge resistance and quite a bit of suicide poo poo, but he was quite clear on the point that they were really, really against the idea of using gas, for fear of escalation/US response.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Nenonen posted:

Wouln't gasbombing cities have been an effective way to kill other side's civilians?

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
I imagine if the US had nuclear weapons earlier, we might have just nuked the atolls and called it a day.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Hogge Wild posted:

Wouln't gasbombing cities have been an effective way to kill other side's civilians?

The US army's chemical warfare department drew up plans for doing this to Japan, and the casualty projections were pretty horrific.

And by horrific I mean 5 million dead.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

cheerfullydrab posted:

http://exiledonline.com/when-pigs-fly-and-scold-brits-lecturing-sri-lanka/all/1/

Definitely my favorite War Nerd piece and one of my favorite articles of all time.

Don't read War Nerd.

As penance for your sins, say fifty Hail Mahans.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Don't read War Nerd.

As penance for your sins, say fifty Hail Mahans.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

P-Mack posted:

The US army's chemical warfare department drew up plans for doing this to Japan, and the casualty projections were pretty horrific.

And by horrific I mean 5 million dead.

drat.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Saint Celestine posted:

I imagine if the US had nuclear weapons earlier, we might have just nuked the atolls and called it a day.

Not really. We needed them as forward bases for the advance across the Pacific.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Not really. We needed them as forward bases for the advance across the Pacific.

That implies being aware that you can't use nuked atols as forward bases.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

my dad posted:

That implies being aware that you can't use nuked atols as forward bases.

Well, for a start you can't build airfields and buildings on a submerged crater.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

MrMojok posted:

They were. I cannot find it now, but just a couple of weeks ago I was reading a transcript of a post-war interrogation of some Japanese Army bigwig, where they asked him in detail about the Japanese plans to defend their home islands against US invasion.

They were planning huge resistance and quite a bit of suicide poo poo, but he was quite clear on the point that they were really, really against the idea of using gas, for fear of escalation/US response.

At some point a few years ago in the Cold War thread the topic of WMDs and Imperial Japan came up. They had a bioweapons program (that deathcamp expernmental unit was captured by the Soviets, who disturbingly took all the research back to Russia and continued it) and a suprise method of attacking with it with their crazy aircraft carrier submarines. They eventually nixed the idea of using bioweapons because the Japanese were afraid it would be 'the first shot in a war against all of humanity'. If this was partially the endless fight between the IJA and the IJN, I've no idea.

Cyrano4747 posted:

No way to answer. It's deep in to gay black hitler territory.

I know; I was just wondering how nasty it would have been if the Nazis decided this was the way to go. I don't know very much about chemical warfare, especially where the Allies and the Axis were in World War 2. I'm actually not even sure what the potential weapons would have been. Phosgene is nasty as gently caress, but maybe you are right - it just didn't fit in WW2 for the most part. (To get all black gay hitler for a moment, I can see the Nazis using chemical warfare on the eastern front, especially against civilians, since genocide and annihilation was mission objectives anyway.) Less sure about bioweapons, though I do think the Nazis assassinated Dr. Frederick Banting (yeah, the guy who discovered insulin for use on diabetics was a huge advocate of germ warfare, and he wouldn't stop talking it up to Churchill.)

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

so we owe the nazis for preventing churchill from making another fuckup then?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Nenonen posted:

Not true for WWI - gas was used throughout the war and proved effective on many occasions due to various factors, like the much higher concentration and static deployment of troops compared to WWII and the relative crudeness of anti-chemical equipment. Blister agents were effective area denial tools since you had to go through no-mans land to get to the other side's trenches, so dispersing mustard gas droplets across an area could pose a persistent and horrific threat to troops trying to pass through it.

Gas shells were also a vital element to artillery counterbattery fire since they proved very useful for supressing enemy gunners, both through the gas itself and the fact that you can't operate an artillery piece as well in a gas mask.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Well, for a start you can't build airfields and buildings on a submerged crater.

Not with that attitude :colbert:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Agean90 posted:

so we owe the nazis for preventing churchill from making another fuckup then?

Not really, by 1942 the United Kingdom had enough anthrax to render Germany uninhabitable for centuries.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Nebakenezzer posted:

At some point a few years ago in the Cold War thread the topic of WMDs and Imperial Japan came up. They had a bioweapons program (that deathcamp expernmental unit was captured by the Soviets, who disturbingly took all the research back to Russia and continued it) and a suprise method of attacking with it with their crazy aircraft carrier submarines. They eventually nixed the idea of using bioweapons because the Japanese were afraid it would be 'the first shot in a war against all of humanity'. If this was partially the endless fight between the IJA and the IJN, I've no idea.

I know; I was just wondering how nasty it would have been if the Nazis decided this was the way to go. I don't know very much about chemical warfare, especially where the Allies and the Axis were in World War 2. I'm actually not even sure what the potential weapons would have been. Phosgene is nasty as gently caress, but maybe you are right - it just didn't fit in WW2 for the most part. (To get all black gay hitler for a moment, I can see the Nazis using chemical warfare on the eastern front, especially against civilians, since genocide and annihilation was mission objectives anyway.) Less sure about bioweapons, though I do think the Nazis assassinated Dr. Frederick Banting (yeah, the guy who discovered insulin for use on diabetics was a huge advocate of germ warfare, and he wouldn't stop talking it up to Churchill.)

Wikipeadia doesn't have anything about an assasination, where have you read about it?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Hogge Wild posted:

Wikipeadia doesn't have anything about an assasination, where have you read about it?

https://www.amazon.ca/The-Banting-Enigma-Assassination-Frederick/dp/1894463706

Well, I should say a friend read this book. Basically dude died in an airplane crash, and it was believed to be sabotage. If so it's one of the few successful Nazi North American operations.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Nebakenezzer posted:

https://www.amazon.ca/The-Banting-Enigma-Assassination-Frederick/dp/1894463706

Well, I should say a friend read this book. Basically dude died in an airplane crash, and it was believed to be sabotage. If so it's one of the few successful Nazi North American operations.

Sweden lost more pilots during WWII than Finland did even though Sweden was neutral. And Nazi spies weren't really good at anything. So I'd say that it's far likelier that it was just a normal plane crash than a successful Nazi spy operation.

Also, some reviewer says it's just a novel.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Hogge Wild posted:

Sweden lost more pilots during WWII than Finland did even though Sweden was neutral. And Nazi spies weren't really good at anything. So I'd say that it's far likelier that it was just a normal plane crash than a successful Nazi spy operation.

Also, some reviewer says it's just a novel.

I know, I just noticed that! For gently caress's sake, ignore me, I'm been listening to a friend who doesn't distinguish these things.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Nebakenezzer posted:

I know, I just noticed that! For gently caress's sake, ignore me, I'm been listening to a friend who doesn't distinguish these things.

imo you should ask your friend for more theories

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

ArchangeI posted:

I think that'd more be white man's guilt now, but either way it's still infantilising non-europeans. Instead of "those guys have it hard being not white" it's now "those guys have it hard being where we hosed up".

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

my dad posted:

An Armenian buddy of mine complained about them, those guys put up a very, er, tastefoul billboard near the genocide memorial in Boston a couple of weeks ago.

Holy poo poo dude

The intended message here is "whatever causes the least amount of problems should be considered the truth," right? I cant believe they're so up front about that but I can't see what else it could mean.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

I think that'd more be white man's guilt now, but either way it's still infantilising non-europeans. Instead of "those guys have it hard being not white" it's now "those guys have it hard being where we hosed up".

It's still "those guys have it hard because they aren't like us, so we should help them become more like us, the pinnacles of human development."

That said, providing clean drinking water isn't imperialism no matter who pays for it.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is there a good example of the civilian population fighting an organized army en masse ala World War II post invasion Japan?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

bewbies posted:

Is there a good example of the civilian population fighting an organized army en masse ala World War II post invasion Japan?
does the franco-prussian war count

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

bewbies posted:

Depends on what you consider "en masse." Vietnam was pretty much a civilian uprising against the US military. Iraq was mostly fighting against civilian partisans. Pretty much any guerilla war could fit into that.

• Locked thread