Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Zane posted:

In addition to Cythereal's recommendations, the NPCs by Rhaella (made quite recently) are extremely well written and fit in almost completely seamlessly with the rest of the game. I've been disappointed with most other npc mods but those are worth checking out.

http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/1070-isra-bg2-pc/
http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/1007-adrian/
Yeah, what I saw of Isra is pretty cool, but that playthrough is now shot due to the 2.0 update.
Same for Valerie, I liked what content I got to see up until Cloakwood.

Also, everyone needs to play with Hubelpot once, although I'm again not sure if the mod is EE-compatible.
e: Last update was 2007, so I guess not. :(

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I've got a serious defect in that I can't stop making new dudes and playing them to like level 5 then getting distracted and making a new idea. I guess as a benefit ill soon have every class and alignment combo known to man just ready to party up and take on the world.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Wizard Styles posted:

Same for Valerie, I liked what content I got to see up until Cloakwood.

Thank you. :) Friends in the modding community recently dragged me back into working on her BG2 material again. Probably going to skip adding any interactions with the EE crew because she'd without question attack and try to kill Neera and Hexxat.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Not sure why she'd go so far as to kill Neera, but you've got to suspend your disbelief a whole lot when you stick Hexxat and/or Dorn into a party with good NPCs or the Druids. You'd think that would have to lead to fights or everyone leaving, but it just kinda doesn't.

e: I'm not sure if Dorn even has any conflicts.

flashman posted:

I've got a serious defect in that I can't stop making new dudes and playing them to like level 5 then getting distracted and making a new idea. I guess as a benefit ill soon have every class and alignment combo known to man just ready to party up and take on the world.
I play Icewind Dale pretty much to get that out of my system.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 21, 2016

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
what level would I be at the end of bg1 as a single f/m/t without the xp cap?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Wizard Styles posted:

Not sure why she'd go so far as to kill Neera, but you've got to suspend your disbelief a whole lot when you stick Hexxat and/or Dorn into a party with good NPCs or the Druids. You'd think that would have to lead to fights or everyone leaving, but it just kinda doesn't.

Valerie is a Cowled Wizard, and has a particular dislike for wild magic on a few different levels. She tolerates and can even befriend a wild mage PC, but won't romance the PC even if the PC otherwise meets her requirements. It wouldn't take much for Neera to make Valerie try to arrest her (and recommend sending her to Spellhold if the party hasn't been there yet).

Hexxat and Dorn are the other two she'd likely attack, yeah.

Helps that I don't own any of the EE games and have no intention of buying them. :v:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The EEs are good and so is SIege of Dragonspear, you're missing out.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

gender illusionist posted:

WithOUT the xp cap? Who the hell knows? Did you track down every last quest? How many times did you grind through places that re-popped monsters? Did you do all three parts of Tales of the Sword Coast? Are we including Siege of Dragonspear as part of BG1? What mods are you playing with? Did any of those add quests? For that matter are you playing Vanilla BG1 or BG1:EE? Are you soloing or grouped up?

WITH the cap you're looking at F6 / M6 / T7 for base TotSC BG1. Throw in Dragonspear and you get a capped F8 / M9 / T10. Without the cap? I dunno, how much grinding are are you willing to do? If you want to go into BG2 bumped up, I'd say just go with SoD. That'll be a lot quicker than hunting for random basilisks to kill. But there's enough wiggle room in there that if you've the patience for it you can get to pretty much whatever you want, especially as a solo who isn't splitting XP with friends.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Found this in a portrait thread on the Beamdog forums:

Cursed Helm of Kitties -6. Cannot be removed except with the Remove Claws spell.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Woolie Wool posted:

I've thought of doing a BG1 SCS playthrough with a custom complete bullshit munchkin party to see how thoroughly I can gently caress with the ruleset. Are there any big dungeon mods available for BGEE?

I did this once and it was super easy, even easier than just playing the game on normal.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Woolie Wool posted:

Cursed Helm of Kitties -6. Cannot be removed except with the Remove Claws spell.

Can be upgraded in ToB to unlock its true power (and complementary codpiece):

Cythereal posted:

Valerie is a Cowled Wizard, and has a particular dislike for wild magic on a few different levels. She tolerates and can even befriend a wild mage PC, but won't romance the PC even if the PC otherwise meets her requirements. It wouldn't take much for Neera to make Valerie try to arrest her (and recommend sending her to Spellhold if the party hasn't been there yet).
Well, you do start some poo poo with the Red Wizards in populated areas as part of Neera's quest line, which I imagine wouldn't sit well with Valerie.
But otoh Neera never gets as irresponsible/outright stupid as Edwin does during his quest.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Also, I forgot the Stone of Askavar when talking about big dungeon mods for BG1 earlier. It's the smallest mod, although still pretty big, but actually has new (as opposed to reused) maps, some cool fights and the least objectionable writing of the mods I mentioned.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 21, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Wizard Styles posted:

Well, you do start some poo poo with the Red Wizards in populated areas as part of Neera's quest line, which I imagine wouldn't sit well with Valerie.
But otoh Neera never gets as irresponsible/outright stupid as Edwin does during his quest.

Valerie hates both groups. :v: Eradicating and removing wild magic is even one of the priestly oaths of Torm's clergy, and as outlined a few of Valerie's epilogues see her becoming a priestess of Torm.

Crip Towe
Sep 7, 2012
Finished the game solo with a Fighter/Illusionist. But my Flying Solo achievement doesn't trigger. :(
Probably because I had Naara join to get the gem bag?

So I tried editing the savegame with EEKeeper (on a mac) and the savegame just makes my BG game crash to desktop.

Ugh :(

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Cythereal posted:

Valerie hates both groups. :v:
Yeah, it's more about the "in populated areas" part that I felt Valerie wouldn't exactly love.
Seeing how she reacts to Neera's quests would be kinda cool, now that I think about it.

Are you absolutely sure you want to continue denying yourself area loot and instant save/load times?

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

gender illusionist posted:

There's roughly 1.25 million XP in BG1 and ToTSC if you clear every map, do all the sidequests and kill Drizzt. So you'd get to about level 9/11/12 as a solo f/m/t.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Wizard Styles posted:

Yeah, it's more about the "in populated areas" part that I felt Valerie wouldn't exactly love.
Seeing how she reacts to Neera's quests would be kinda cool, now that I think about it.

Are you absolutely sure you want to continue denying yourself area loot and instant save/load times?

I'll pick up the EE games when BG2 stops working on Windows X.0.

Valerie probably just isn't going to react to EE at all. She leaves the party over a couple of sidequests anyhow - Edwin's quest when working for the thieves' guild to murder a Cowled Wizard, and refusing to buy a license so you end up fighting the Cowled Wizards.

Though Valerie may pull strings to get the PC a license to duck that latter issue.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Wizard Styles posted:

Also, I forgot the Stone of Askavar when talking about big dungeon mods for BG1 earlier. It's the smallest mod, although still pretty big, but actually has new (as opposed to reused) maps, some cool fights and the least objectionable writing of the mods I mentioned.

I'll check that out, last time around I installed DSoTSC and it was completely hosed, the "new" areas were mostly empty, it caused giant game-crashing goblin hordes in Peldvale, and the chapter text screen interfered with Siege of Dragonspear. Never again.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I couldn't find my End of BG XP for a solo FMT, but I did find how long it took!

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Oh wow, installing SCS with everything takes for loving ever, holy poo poo just finish already.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Where's a good guide that's not Dudleysville for Chapter 8 BG, I am hopelessly lost on what to d here. Got some guy who wants to meet me at the mermaid , guards chasing me, I tried traveling the city in the sewers but they just follow me.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

SoD question how do I use the poison at the castle?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Where's a good guide that's not Dudleysville for Chapter 8 BG, I am hopelessly lost on what to d here. Got some guy who wants to meet me at the mermaid , guards chasing me, I tried traveling the city in the sewers but they just follow me.

The guards will not stop aggroing you, it's just what they do in chapter 7. You have to go to the Blushing Mermaid to continue the quest. Go to the north section of town, then go east to enter the NE part of town from the right angle. The Blushing Mermaid will be immediately north of where you arrive. Use Haste to help stay ahead of the Flaming Fist. If you kill them you will lose a lot of reputation and any rangers or paladins in your party will fall. Whenever you enter a new area, save your game. Usually some routes are safer/easier than others and if you're having trouble with one route, reload your save and try going down a different street. Avoid open spaces if possible.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 22, 2016

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Thanks , I did have some success with the Sewers so that help. Assuming I can charm guards and not lose rep?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I've never tried it. I just run.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I am doing something seriously wrong. I go to the Flaming Fists, get captured, escape, then I go back in encounter Benjy then for whatever reason I cannot help but lose reputation.

I don't get it?

Maybed I am killing someone who I shouldn't with fireball? No matter what I lose rep.

I've killed the assassins in Undercellar.

I've gotten the diary.

I've encountered Shadowthieves.

Dunno.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The undercellar assassins have an invitation to the ducal palace. I hope you took it because you need it to get inside the palace and confront Sarevok.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah I got it. Just cant figure out why I keep getting a reputation hit when I go back into the Flaming Fist headquarters.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Have you tried not using any AoE attacks? Killing prisoners or other bystanders will likely ding your reputation.

(as long as your paladins or rangers don't fall it really doesn't matter because you're at the end of the game :ssh:)

That idea for a gimmick playthrough of BG1 didn't interest me for long so I'm back to beating my head on the unyielding brick wall known as Icewind Dale. Jesus Christ this game is hard.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Apr 22, 2016

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Woolie Wool posted:

Have you tried not using any AoE attacks? Killing prisoners or other bystanders will likely ding your reputation.

(as long as your paladins or rangers don't fall it really doesn't matter because you're at the end of the game :ssh:)

That idea for a gimmick playthrough of BG1 didn't interest me for long so I'm back to beating my head on the unyielding brick wall known as Icewind Dale. Jesus Christ this game is hard.

No I figured it out. Apparently I was agroing one of the guards and he was following me in during the fight.

Yeah I gotta download Dragonspear pretty soon I figure.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

SoD included a much more accesible way to change the UI. Today I was checking out if there had been any new things released using it. Besides the amazing Widescreen UI we've already seen I just found a mod that added an autoroller for stats. Personally autorolling feels like the worst solution to the problem that is rolling for stats.

So I spend an hour figuring out how to set up a sort of point buy system. It gives you a preset roll of 75, 80, 85 or 90 that you can spend at will. for Baldurs Gate: EE 1, 2 and SoD: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/50357/mod-sod-widescreen-gui-tweaks-v1-2#latest

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Wizard Styles posted:

Personally I really, really appreciate the zoom functionality as much as those two, but dang if area loot and immediate loads are not some of the best additions.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Does SoD do anything UI-wise about scrolling through spells in the hotbar menu? (e.g. like Pillars of eternity)

That becomes such a chore once you've got a higher level character.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I feel like point buy makes more sense in modern RPGs, not so much in AD&D where stats have such a large dead zone.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.
Has anyone here played around (or played through) with the Scales of Balance mod? Particularly the ability-scores modification? I'm interested in having *some* in-game benefit from making a well-rounded character, instead of nearly min-maxing (I blame Pillars of Eternity for that), but I wouldn't necessarily want to gimp my party members.

I'm just worried the likes of Minsc, for instance, becoming too inefective with his low mental ability scores.

Will that happen? If anyone played with with, what are your general feelings about that?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Nycticeius posted:

Has anyone here played around (or played through) with the Scales of Balance mod? Particularly the ability-scores modification? I'm interested in having *some* in-game benefit from making a well-rounded character, instead of nearly min-maxing (I blame Pillars of Eternity for that), but I wouldn't necessarily want to gimp my party members.

I'm just worried the likes of Minsc, for instance, becoming too inefective with his low mental ability scores.

Will that happen? If anyone played with with, what are your general feelings about that?

Scales of Balance is nice, but it's not Pillars of Eternity. The dead zones are shrunken, but not removed, and extreme stats are less beneficial--for instance the gap between 18/45 and 18/00 is nothing but an extremely small carry weight increase, and 16 or 17 STR for a warrior is perfectly respectable. However, the more fundamental systemic problems of AD&D are still there, like some stats just not really mattering for certain classes (WIS in particular is still the go-to dump stat for non-clerics). Minsc is just fine in Scales of Balance, whereas you would have to completely rearrange his stats (in particular dumping some of his DEX for RES) in Pillars of Eternity, both to make him a good front-line melee combatant and to suit his character.

Pillars of Eternity's method of balancing stats goes way beyond "this stat does this". The entire system is much more granular and can handle much finer distinctions than a d20 system. I think Pillars uses d100 for to-hit rolls which is not very practical on the tabletop.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 22, 2016

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Chaosium's Basic system uses a d100 for resolution, it's just two d10s.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
My berserker is an unstoppable killing machine. Such a good class.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The 18% stats are really broken in a really funny way. The first 50% is virtually identical to a flat 18, except one extra point of damage, but then it's the top 25%, the top 10% and finally top 1% that does anything at all. And 18/00 makes you as strong as Earths strongest man according to the manual.

It's really better to just roll and not worry too much about the results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

Woolie Wool posted:

Scales of Balance is nice, but it's not Pillars of Eternity. The dead zones are shrunken, but not removed, and extreme stats are less beneficial--for instance the gap between 18/45 and 18/00 is nothing but an extremely small carry weight increase, and 16 or 17 STR for a warrior is perfectly respectable. However, the more fundamental systemic problems of AD&D are still there, like some stats just not really mattering for certain classes (WIS in particular is still the go-to dump stat for non-clerics). Minsc is just fine in Scales of Balance, whereas you would have to completely rearrange his stats (in particular dumping some of his DEX for RES) in Pillars of Eternity, both to make him a good front-line melee combatant and to suit his character.

Pillars of Eternity's method of balancing stats goes way beyond "this stat does this". The entire system is much more granular and can handle much finer distinctions than a d20 system. I think Pillars uses d100 for to-hit rolls which is not very practical on the tabletop.

Yeah, I get what you mean. I wasn't looking to get a PoE facsimile, just some reason for making a Fighter with 15 INT, other than flair. I guess I'll try it and see.

Also, imagining Minsc in PoE makes me wanna try a custom BG inspired party!