Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

mcmagic posted:

Mutavault would always be good but it would've been a 1 or 2 of at best in the last standard. It just happened to be in standard where the 2 best decks were not only mono colored but they also had linchpin cards (master of waves and pack rat) that had tremendous natural synergy with Mutavault.

Honestly I feel like part of the problem is that One Or Two modern reprints is pretty much exactly the wrong number. Thoughtseize and Mutavault both took over that standard for quite a while, and I feel like a big part of that is that the big deck that standard easily played sets of both. The other deck only played Mutavault but got a lot of use out of it.

There wasn't really a saturation of modern-powered cards to make a few deck building decisions around and there weren't similarly powered cards in other colors (UW had enough cards that came close lmao verdict and revelation) so we just ended up looking at the two modern reprints in the format coming across the red zone with whatever decks they enabled backing them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

jassi007 posted:

I think the thing is though, they've been trying. Mutavault and Thoughtseize showed WOTC that cards of a certain power level are going to mess with standard. TNN and Containment priest showed that powerful cards are going to gently caress up demand and cause issues with getting products to their target markets. The masters sets aren't putting enough copies in circulation to long term affect prices, but they are making more supply without pissing off collectors. I really don't know if they're willing to go much further. I think all these reprint arguments ignore all the things they have tried in the past couple years and the effects of it.

The Masters sets would actually do exactly what they're supposed to if the pack price was slightly lowered and the print run was slightly increased. They're erring way too far on the side of not antagonizing collectors with those.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

They're usually fun to draft too and it sucks only being able to draft it once or twice because $$$.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

odiv posted:

They're usually fun to draft too and it sucks only being able to draft it once or twice because $$$.

I think MM15 is my favorite draft format..

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
The professor did get something super right, original inn was one of the best sets ever and it's bonkers thy there wasn't more reprints.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

The "Echoes of old innistrad" idea similar to the expeditions sounded to me like a really good idea.

I mean standard players get to have the EV of a box lowered and can turn a nice card in to a chunk of a deck and modern players see more cards come on the market, it's win win. Just don't make them one in every 5 boxes or whatever the hell expeditions were.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Is there a spot for Topplegeist in some sort of Junk Modern deck? Or am I just too high on it?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Good news for those who want a higher print run of Eternal Masters: apparently they're going to be selling packs of it at major retailers :psyduck: and still having the usual low restricted allocation to small shops. My LGS manager has been breathing fire at either Wizards, his distributor, or the store owner today since this double shits on card shops while not doing much about the problem.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Archenteron posted:

Good news for those who want a higher print run of Eternal Masters: apparently they're going to be selling packs of it at major retailers :psyduck: and still having the usual low restricted allocation to small shops. My LGS manager has been breathing fire at either Wizards, his distributor, or the store owner today since this double shits on card shops while not doing much about the problem.

So... how soon do major retailers get them? Like I hop on over to the local Wal Mart on release day, will I find them or do they show up like a few days after? I want to get at least 2 boxes of EM, 1 to possibly resell or open and another to draft :D

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Archenteron posted:

This is hilarious and incompetent, so I totally believe WotC did it

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

So, interesting information from We The People vs. Wizard$ of the Coa$t from a former Regional Coordinator came to light (and was confirmed by my RC): the Regional Coordinator position - basically a judge management position available to L3+ judges - is a judge position that is actually under contract from WotC. The payment they receive under contract actually equates to less than minimum wage when factoring in all contract expectations - one of which is not revealing said contract exists, especially to other non-RC judges :psyduck:.

Also, while I have no professional capacity to verify or dispute any of it, a fellow judge who is also a legal professional commented that - at least as far as he could tell from what's publicly available and what was in the brief - the judge program would be considered a division of WotC (and not a subsidiary company/organization). He wouldn't hazard a guess as to what impact that might have on proceedings, but did comment that whatever the fall-out from this dispute it might push WotC towards turning the program into a non-profit subsidiary, if they don't just try to tighten up the reins on it another way.

As someone who is purportedly a professional in this field, I'd be interested in any feedback/speculation.

Legal matters aside, though, there's once again another wave of judges that are contemplating their involvement in the program pending WotC's (likely self-destructive) attitude towards judges and the program moving forward.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Well wotc only needs to make the program barely attractive enough to just get the number of judges they need. Which IMO they're doing admirably. Judges grumble, get paid in cards (and not even product, at least from wotc. This costs them NOTHING), yet there's still plenty of them.

Doing just enough and not too little is a tough bar to hit: See the WER issues at the GP last week.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
I've long held theories on this, and my hypothesis is the culture factor. Namely, the 'casual' nature of American culture. I know that Japanese players take the game very seriously, and also consider the collecting part a major part of the allure. To many of them, the playing and collecting go hand in hand. As such, while frequenting 2ch and talking to my Japanese buddies, I've never heard anyone complain about the reserve list. The idea is that, if you can't afford something e.g. Vintage, then you shouldn't play it. It makes sense to them, if you can't afford an Aston Martin, you don't get to drive it.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

WOTC-freude is the most delicious freude of all.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
mcmagic, I threw together the UW Skies deck, it seems fun but susceptible.

Can you explain the SB choices? With all the Coco going around is there room for Hallowed Moonlight

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Sickening posted:

You know what is important to this game?

A story driven product.

You're posting ironically now but if you want to see this thread have a heated speculative discussion on the motives of all the marquee Planeswalkers in the current set, wait a few minutes.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Mark Rosewater finally told about the "forbidden" mechanic they tried but couldn't make work in the original Innistrad block, and it sounds about as dumb and terrible as you'd expect:

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/143113997698/i-saw-someone-refer-to-something-as-the-forbidden

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Entropic posted:

Mark Rosewater finally told about the "forbidden" mechanic they tried but couldn't make work in the original Innistrad block, and it sounds about as dumb and terrible as you'd expect:

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/143113997698/i-saw-someone-refer-to-something-as-the-forbidden

That's because Sam Stoddard told a panel what it was a year or so ago.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Entropic posted:

That's a cute gimmick for one card or a cycle, maybe. But it would be the worst thing to draft, and requires wish effects at the same time when we haven't had one since Spawnsire of Ulamog.

And if it isn't an instant or sorcery then no one will play it ever.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

That's a cute gimmick for one card or a cycle, maybe. But it would be the worst thing to draft, and requires wish effects at the same time when we haven't had one since Spawnsire of Ulamog.

And if it isn't an instant or sorcery then no one will play it ever.

It would probably have to be absurdly powerful as well, or no one would bother with it. At that point then it would probably just go in to a desk that already plays wishes and be broken.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

It would probably have to be absurdly powerful as well, or no one would bother with it.

And that's the point when you go back to the drawing board with a mechanic.

Which, to be fair to them, is exactly what they did.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

It would probably have to be absurdly powerful as well, or no one would bother with it. At that point then it would probably just go in to a desk that already plays wishes and be broken.

The sample card was

Forbidden Bolt
R
Instant
Forbidden Bolt deals 5 damage to target creature or player.

So yeah, the power was there. The enablers would be cards like

Forbidden Bear
1G
Creature - Bear
When Forbidden Bear enters the battlefield, reveal a card you own with Forbidden from outside the game and shuffle it into your deck.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I can't be the only one who thinks all of this talk of a secret Pro Tour strategy is bullshit.

They're just going to all play Bant Company. It's the direct successor to Rally and it leans heavily on the exact same rear end in a top hat overpowered cards Rally did because Collected Company is a format-ruining card they didn't test enough because they just operated under the assumption that putting creatures in your deck was a super-high deckbuilding cost.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Apr 22, 2016

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

There are always going to be a few staples that standard warps around and CoCo itself isn't that bad.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Having to build a deck entirely out of 3 drops is a real deckbuilding cost. You basically get your playset of CoCo and then like 4-5 other spells and everything else is 3 drops and lands. The latest Bant Company builds have been getting greedy just adding in pairs of Avacyns on top of that. Let's remember that prior to Rally existing there basically weren't Company decks in Standard because why would you run a midrange deck in green that couldn't slam Siege Rhino?

More importantly, it's been like a month that Bant Company has been a dominant contender and not some secondary option overshadowed by Rally and Abzan, and there are plenty of matchups it struggles with, so give the meta some time to adjust before declaring the end of the world.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Hallowed Moonlight
Negate
Dispel
Duress
Transgress the Mind

There's probably more but WUB at least has sufficient and flexible sideboard hate to deal with a CoCo deck.

Your options with Siege Rhino were...Infinite Obliteration? Disdainful Stroke? You were able to Thoughtseize your opponent's Rhino and then...play your own Rhino.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Voyager I posted:

Having to build a deck entirely out of 3 drops is a real deckbuilding cost. You basically get your playset of CoCo and then like 4-5 other spells and everything else is 3 drops and lands. The latest Bant Company builds have been getting greedy just adding in pairs of Avacyns on top of that. Let's remember that prior to Rally existing there basically weren't Company decks in Standard because why would you run a midrange deck in green that couldn't slam Siege Rhino?

More importantly, it's been like a month that Bant Company has been a dominant contender and not some secondary option overshadowed by Rally and Abzan, and there are plenty of matchups it struggles with, so give the meta some time to adjust before declaring the end of the world.

The problem is that they clearly assumed it was a high enough deckbuilding cost to keep the card in check, except its not a particularly high deckbuilding cost when Reflector Mage, Tireless Tracker and Bounding Krasis are all being printed.

It's also just a generally annoying deck to play against because "6 mana of dudes at instant speed who tap and bounce all of your guys" is a loving stupid thing to be able to do for 4 mana. The worst part of it is that it legitimately pushes out pretty much every control strategy because Tireless Tracker and Duskwatch Recruiter allow it to never loving run out of guys. I've played games against the deck where I 2, 3 or 4 for one'd it with Radiant Flames or Languish and still lost because you still can't outvalue it.

ThePeavstenator posted:

Hallowed Moonlight
Negate
Dispel
Duress
Transgress the Mind

There's probably more but WUB at least has sufficient and flexible sideboard hate to deal with a CoCo deck.

Your options with Siege Rhino were...Infinite Obliteration? Disdainful Stroke? You were able to Thoughtseize your opponent's Rhino and then...play your own Rhino.

And every single removal spell and creature that can block it. It's a good card, but its an exaggeration to suggest Siege Rhino pushed out every other strategy because it isn't like the card operated on a weird axis: you can just kill it.

I would not be even vaguely surprised if Bant Company turns into Faeries. There are simply not enough answers to Collected Company itself because they intentionally made hating on either graveyards or creatures you didn't pay for bad to enable wholly imaginary graveyard strategies in SOI block.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Apr 22, 2016

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

End of Life Guy posted:

Lets crowdfund a GP trip for mcmagic and also crowdfund his deck full of Chamale's brews.

I'm selling out of MTGO but I'm going to keep SearchTheCity.dek to play in Modern

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I'm not arguing that it's a bad deck, because it obviously isn't, but I am arguing that it's too soon to start screaming about how it's oppressing the meta when it's been at the top for like 1 1/2 events after the two decks that dominated standard above it rotated it out.

Like, up until SoI, the three mana requirement was tight enough to keep pure CoCo decks from running away with the show compared to better options, and right now it's mostly just a good deck from before rotation that had more cards get printed than rotate out. It's not really surprising that it's still a good deck when nobody knows WTF Standard is at the moment.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
As someone who played Sligh, RDW, Atarka Red and RW Midrange during like all of THS/KTK standard, I always have a chuckle to myself when people complain about Rhino. It was one of the few things keeping the decks I was playing in check, with the exception of RW which just ate Abzan for breakfast.

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Apr 22, 2016

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

OH is someone actually playing a list? I just Brewer it up to be an idiot.

List? I just threw a bunch of stuff into a deck and was fairly pleased by it's performance. Like it gets crushed by all the value decks out there, but the deck will still be a thing after rotation. Note that I tried to use predominately Shadows Cards. Kolaghan's command is probably strictly better than say Avacyn's Judgement, i just wanted more payoff cards for madness. Between Insolent Neonate, Heir of Falkenrath, Olivia, Ravenous Bloodseeker, Elusive Tormentor, and Lava Axe you have all the madness enablers ever. However the biggest problem is that there is there no good payoff cards for Madness in Shadows, and it's very unlikely we will see more madness cards in Eldritch Moon. Your best payoff cards if Fiery Temper, Avacyn's Judgement is cute, but your rarely in a position late game where you have both a madness enabler and Avacyn's Judgement ready go to with plenty of mana, so it's just a slightly less useful Kolaghan's Command quite a bit. Asylum Visitor is a 3/1 for 2 mana, I never once got her ability to get going. Kalitas and Elusive Tormentor will get Trangressed Away quite a bit.

All that said it's an aggro deck, and has plenty of fliers. You will take games simply off the fact that your opponent will keep a hand that is reasonable for a mid range value grindy game, and then you will just rush them to death. When this deck stumbles it stumbles pretty hard. But Avacyn's Judgement and Fiery Temper managed to close out a few games for me. Exquisite Firecraft is something worth considering for the deck. I have no idea what a reasonable sideboard would look like. Self Inflicted Wounds, Duresses, Trangress the Minds would for sure be in there.

Creatures: 29
4 Insolent Neonate
4 Falkenrath Gorger
4 Heir of Falkenrath
2 Ravenous Bloodseeker
2 Asylum Visitor
3 Drana
3 Olivia
3 Kalitas
1 Elusive Tormentor
3 Incorrigible Youths

Spells: 11
4 Fiery Temper
4 Lava Axe
3 Avacyn's Judgement

Lands: 20
4 Smoldering Marsh
4 Foreboding Ruins
8 Mountains
6 Swamps

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

anglachel posted:

List? I just threw a bunch of stuff into a deck and was fairly pleased by it's performance. Like it gets crushed by all the value decks out there, but the deck will still be a thing after rotation. Note that I tried to use predominately Shadows Cards. Kolaghan's command is probably strictly better than say Avacyn's Judgement, i just wanted more payoff cards for madness. Between Insolent Neonate, Heir of Falkenrath, Olivia, Ravenous Bloodseeker, Elusive Tormentor, and Lava Axe you have all the madness enablers ever. However the biggest problem is that there is there no good payoff cards for Madness in Shadows, and it's very unlikely we will see more madness cards in Eldritch Moon. Your best payoff cards if Fiery Temper, Avacyn's Judgement is cute, but your rarely in a position late game where you have both a madness enabler and Avacyn's Judgement ready go to with plenty of mana, so it's just a slightly less useful Kolaghan's Command quite a bit. Asylum Visitor is a 3/1 for 2 mana, I never once got her ability to get going. Kalitas and Elusive Tormentor will get Trangressed Away quite a bit.

All that said it's an aggro deck, and has plenty of fliers. You will take games simply off the fact that your opponent will keep a hand that is reasonable for a mid range value grindy game, and then you will just rush them to death. When this deck stumbles it stumbles pretty hard. But Avacyn's Judgement and Fiery Temper managed to close out a few games for me. Exquisite Firecraft is something worth considering for the deck. I have no idea what a reasonable sideboard would look like. Self Inflicted Wounds, Duresses, Trangress the Minds would for sure be in there.

Creatures: 29
4 Insolent Neonate
4 Falkenrath Gorger
4 Heir of Falkenrath
2 Ravenous Bloodseeker
2 Asylum Visitor
3 Drana
3 Olivia
3 Kalitas
1 Elusive Tormentor
3 Incorrigible Youths

Spells: 11
4 Fiery Temper
4 Lava Axe
3 Avacyn's Judgement

Lands: 20
4 Smoldering Marsh
4 Foreboding Ruins
8 Mountains
6 Swamps

Looks like it would be a good match against Boss Humans too, which is what I assume my meta is going to be full of given trading chat over the last few days.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Is UB control a thing in standard? I have a couple Jaces, 4x Languish, a bunch of dual lands... Thing in the Ice?

I guess I could look at esper instead. Painful Truths in 3 colours would be nice, I suppose.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

AceClown posted:

Looks like it would be a good match against Boss Humans too, which is what I assume my meta is going to be full of given trading chat over the last few days.

Problem vs humans, is that they can trade you 1 for 1 and use investigate to get back in the game once your both in top deck mode. And they have Declaration to efficiently kill your big flying threats. And can ambush you with a Avacyn. And if they get Always Watching up all their creatures are way stronger than yours, and red/black has zero enchantment removal for stasis snare and what have you.

Basically humans will just 1 for 1 you early game, then gets back in the game faster than you. Asylum Visitor just doesnt do any work. The few times you actually have a zero hand, it will just get shot with removal.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

odiv posted:

Is UB control a thing in standard? I have a couple Jaces, 4x Languish, a bunch of dual lands... Thing in the Ice?

I guess I could look at esper instead. Painful Truths in 3 colours would be nice, I suppose.

As someone who owns literally 4 standard legal cards:

Look into UB Pact. You get to play Languish for all of the aggro matches. You win with Pact value, bouncing it, and Crush of Tentacles.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

The sample card was

Forbidden Bolt
R
Instant
Forbidden Bolt deals 5 damage to target creature or player.

So yeah, the power was there. The enablers would be cards like

Forbidden Bear
1G
Creature - Bear
When Forbidden Bear enters the battlefield, reveal a card you own with Forbidden from outside the game and shuffle it into your deck.

That's not as bad as I was thinking. I was figuring they would basically be win the game cards that did something like a planeswalkers ultimate but undercosted.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

LSV and Kibler starting 3-0

Edit: and Brad Nelson

Alaan fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Apr 22, 2016

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
LSV on BG Aristocrats with Loam Dryad and Cryptolith Rite

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Boco_T posted:

LSV on BG Aristocrats with Loam Dryad and Cryptolith Rite

?!?!

I'm at work, please tell me more!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Also someone on RG Goggles w/Worldbreakers and Chandra.

E: and Kozilek's return.

Alaan fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Apr 22, 2016

• Locked thread