Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mischalaniouse posted:

I had no idea they were so maligned. Well, I wasn't terribly convinced Creepy Castle was going to come out at all, so I'm not too disappointed.

There was quite a bit of controversy when they were doing the WiiWare port of Cave Story. Their initial announcement and communication was done so poorly that some outlets were reporting that Pixel wasn't even in contact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
cave story's major nicalis release disaster was audio bugs that caused the new remix album, composed specially for the remake, to be unusable. the only workaround was to switch back to the original music set

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

al-azad posted:

There was quite a bit of controversy when they were doing the WiiWare port of Cave Story. Their initial announcement and communication was done so poorly that some outlets were reporting that Pixel wasn't even in contact.

I think you're confusing this with the WiiWare version of La-Mulana, which Nicalis delayed and delayed and eventually cancelled vai twitter post without telling the devs first.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

al-azad posted:

And don't forget that bit where they stole a lot of fanmade mods for CS as their "additions" on PC, with chunks of Aeon Genesis' old translation inside the game covered by a wrapper. Nicalis are pretty much the scummiest on every level and I have no idea why people continue to look to them as anything but a parasite.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I know people who've met and/or done work for the main Nicalis guy and they all say he's friendly and sincere but completely disorganised, which seems at odds with the way he conducts himself publicly but I guess there must be some truth to it because people keep associating themselves with him.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I know people who've met and/or done work for the main Nicalis guy and they all say he's friendly and sincere but completely disorganised, which seems at odds with the way he conducts himself publicly but I guess there must be some truth to it because people keep associating themselves with him.

That goes a long way in the business.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

DolphinCop posted:

cave story's major nicalis release disaster was audio bugs that caused the new remix album, composed specially for the remake, to be unusable. the only workaround was to switch back to the original music set

they fixed it in the eu version by having the guy who composed it just export it all to low-quality .ogg files they shoved in instead

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, the music thing was poorly handled from the outset because Nicalis Guy didn't even recognise the problem and called people entitled nitpickers for pointing it out, and it took the composer telling him the music was broken to get him to fix it.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I think my favorite moment was the Nicalis dude calling the WiiU weaker than a Vita as an explanation to why BoI ReBirth ran so badly and people's subsequent explosive reactions.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

HGH posted:

I think my favorite moment was the Nicalis dude calling the WiiU weaker than a Vita as an explanation to why BoI ReBirth ran so badly and people's subsequent explosive reactions.

Is there somewhere I can find out more about Nicalis, like some big long 'here's how this fuckup hosed up' article? Every now and again I need to feel like a competent coder.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
WiiWare Cave Story was rife with issues sound-wise. The default sound effects were way too loud to the point where it hurt your ears listening to the experience triforce items bouncing around after killing an enemy, and the music would also not loop properly if you entered/exited a door. All got fixed eventually but still, gently caress 'em.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's incredible how a whole studio could gently caress up adapting a game which has already been made by one guy

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Oh you think that's bad, let me point you to my dear good friends High Voltage Software.
Yeah sure it's not games made by one guy but man what a track record of fuckups.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

multijoe posted:

It's incredible how a whole studio could gently caress up adapting a game which has already been made by one guy

One person studios can generate a ton of lovely code, so that's not that surprising.

Like I'd point at notch and Minecraft, and I don't even want to know what cyxlopean monstrosity that toady has behind Dwarf Fortress.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

It's just kind of amazing that a game like cave story was entirely coded by one person that began in the late 90's and released real polished for free, while a whole studio made some real irritating mistakes. Though maybe that's more of a statement on Pixel's talents than Nifflas' competence. Has Pixel done anything since Cave Story, btw?

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Butt Ghost posted:

It's just kind of amazing that a game like cave story was entirely coded by one person that began in the late 90's and released real polished for free, while a whole studio made some real irritating mistakes. Though maybe that's more of a statement on Pixel's talents than Nifflas' competence. Has Pixel done anything since Cave Story, btw?

Ya dude. Not too much, though.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Kero Blaster and its free add-on Pink Hour. They're both pretty minimalist games in a similar gameplay style as Cave Story.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Butt Ghost posted:

nifflas is different from nicalis, the former has done some fun exploration games, most notably the knytt series

if you want a more recent big metroidvania game made by one person, you should check out environmental station alpha

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

HGH posted:

Oh you think that's bad, let me point you to my dear good friends High Voltage Software.
Yeah sure it's not games made by one guy but man what a track record of fuckups.

I'd throw Iron Galaxy Studios into that thresher as well. Dave Lang continuing to get work blows my mind.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Iron Galaxy has worked on tons of projects that turned out fine, though?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

True, looking over their listing here it was just the two batman games that had launch problems.

Maybe wb games are cursed.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Grapplejack posted:

True, looking over their listing here it was just the two batman games that had launch problems.

Maybe wb games are cursed.
It's because WB gave them poo poo to work with, because they don't give a gently caress at all about PC.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

HGH posted:

Maybe it's the burning nostalgia people have for the Hunter: the Reckoning series. :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
They've apparently done really good work on Killer Instinct, the Batman stuff was entirely WB being pure garbage, from what I've been told (by an ex-WB employee).

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Yeah in their specific case I'm inclined to believe that those titles would be even worse without Iron Galaxy.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Fumaofthelake posted:

Yeah in their specific case I'm inclined to believe that those titles would be even worse without Iron Galaxy.

Origins wasn't too bad, but there was an annoying bug where an anti-piracy thing kicked in even if you had bought it legit. It basically left you trapped in a room.

Knight was a pure shitshow all the way through. The game was pretty much delayed a year and it still came out in incredibly rough shape. Rocksteady spent that year getting the PS4 version ready, but WB handed it off to Iron Galaxy much later, and skimped out on the QA because they didn't want spoilers leaked.

sophomorehoffman
Jun 3, 2012

PCB Spring Break 1987!
Hey guys,

Wasn't sure 100% where to post this, but this is one of the gaming threads that I lurk on from time to time.

I'm a filmmaker with a lot of love for games, and last year I started documenting three game dev-ing brothers in St. Louis. We currently have a Kickstarter going on to finish the film, and I just wanted to post up a link and see what you all thought of the project.

Thanks so much! *please don't eat me alive*

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/foreveranastronaut/brace-for-impact-the-crashlands-story-feature-doc/

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Well, Masquerada certainly has The Look---but I will never understand the drive aside from desperation to blast out one of these surprise/sudden brief KS gambits even if it isn't a high total for the 14 days:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13978330/masquerada-songs-and-shadows

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

sophomorehoffman posted:

Hey guys,

Wasn't sure 100% where to post this, but this is one of the gaming threads that I lurk on from time to time.

I'm a filmmaker with a lot of love for games, and last year I started documenting three game dev-ing brothers in St. Louis. We currently have a Kickstarter going on to finish the film, and I just wanted to post up a link and see what you all thought of the project.

Thanks so much! *please don't eat me alive*

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/foreveranastronaut/brace-for-impact-the-crashlands-story-feature-doc/

Good luck, dude! You seem to be doing fine.

Masquerada looks really cool, I like the faux Venetian Carnival setting.

Christian Knudsen
Oct 13, 2012

Mr Underhill posted:

Good luck, dude! You seem to be doing fine.

Trending towards 47% funding, so doesn't seem to be doing all that fine, sadly.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm not an expert on these things, but I'm starting to get the impression that the Dark Souls board game is going to seriously struggle to include the number of miniatures they've added through stretch goals.

The base pledge tier is £80, which seems like a lot but there's already six boss figures, five mini boss figures, fourteen player character figures and a shitload of smaller enemies and items. And the boss figures they've already shown are pretty drat big. Miniature games are loving expensive. I hope they don't have to skimp on quality to make this doable.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I believe the molds are the expensive bit, so after they've been created, the more people order a mini the cheaper the production cost thanks to economies of scale.

That's how Kickstarters like Reaper Minis make money.

Captn Kurp
Oct 21, 2013

:bravo2:

Steve2911 posted:

I'm not an expert on these things, but I'm starting to get the impression that the Dark Souls board game is going to seriously struggle to include the number of miniatures they've added through stretch goals.

The base pledge tier is £80, which seems like a lot but there's already six boss figures, five mini boss figures, fourteen player character figures and a shitload of smaller enemies and items. And the boss figures they've already shown are pretty drat big. Miniature games are loving expensive. I hope they don't have to skimp on quality to make this doable.

Some of the bosses you have to pay extra for, the base pledge comes with 4 boss miniatures (O&S, Dancer, Smelter, Pursuer). The "sets" they're unlocking are armor sets I believe and not actually player characters so I doubt you'd get a miniature (although if you did that would be amazing!!). I added a bit extra to my pledge to get two of the bosses they're offering, and if I enjoy the game enough I'll get more of them when it releases.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Captn Kurp posted:

Some of the bosses you have to pay extra for, the base pledge comes with 4 boss miniatures (O&S, Dancer, Smelter, Pursuer). The "sets" they're unlocking are armor sets I believe and not actually player characters so I doubt you'd get a miniature (although if you did that would be amazing!!). I added a bit extra to my pledge to get two of the bosses they're offering, and if I enjoy the game enough I'll get more of them when it releases.

The base set comes with O&S (two figures), Dancer, Smelter, Pursuer and Ser Alonne, so it's still six figures. I'm not sure whether the armour sets are figures or cards, I don't think they've said. I want an Onionbro figure though. :colbert:

Christ there's so many addon ones too. Three dragon bosses (which are massive figures), the Four Kings (so four figures) and then three more retail exclusive ones. If this takes off it'll be a massive money train.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Steve2911 posted:

The base set comes with O&S (two figures), Dancer, Smelter, Pursuer and Ser Alonne, so it's still six figures. I'm not sure whether the armour sets are figures or cards, I don't think they've said. I want an Onionbro figure though. :colbert:

There are several stretch goals that are included, and not add-ons:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lemon-Lime posted:

There are several stretch goals that are included, and not add-ons:

Yes.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i\m bummed they didn't pick the best bosses apart from o & s

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Groovelord Neato posted:

i\m bummed they didn't pick the best bosses apart from o & s

There's still plenty of time to add more stretch goal bosses, and you can bet your sweet rectum there'll be a lot of them sold separately for years to come.

Also in terms of making a cool miniature, Gaping Dragon is a million times better than O&S.

sophomorehoffman
Jun 3, 2012

PCB Spring Break 1987!

Christian Knudsen posted:

Trending towards 47% funding, so doesn't seem to be doing all that fine, sadly.

Yeah... I know. We're really trying to throw out all the stops, and we've done literally ALL that I can think to do to boost this thing (tv appearance in our region, radio interview in our region, tapping into the fanbase of the covered game dev, Twitter extravaganza, Facebook ads and posts, physical events, contacting interest groups, alumni groups, filmmaking groups, individuals, cold calling, 100+ emails a week... It's getting to be one of the most frustrating things...

Anyone have any tips or leads on things that I could do in the last six days for the campaign?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/foreveranastronaut/brace-for-impact-the-crashlands-story-feature-doc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

sophomorehoffman posted:

Yeah... I know. We're really trying to throw out all the stops, and we've done literally ALL that I can think to do to boost this thing (tv appearance in our region, radio interview in our region, tapping into the fanbase of the covered game dev, Twitter extravaganza, Facebook ads and posts, physical events, contacting interest groups, alumni groups, filmmaking groups, individuals, cold calling, 100+ emails a week... It's getting to be one of the most frustrating things...

Anyone have any tips or leads on things that I could do in the last six days for the campaign?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/foreveranastronaut/brace-for-impact-the-crashlands-story-feature-doc

At least in our campaign's case the most efficient way of getting backers was doing cross-campaign shoutouts to similar projects in updates. You should definitely do that ASAP if you haven't yet. And think about it this way, you can relaunch anytime and have all those people who backed you in the first place already aware of your campaign, so you can focus more on getting other backers. Good luck!