Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
every script for every battle is artisnaly hand crafted to maximize effect, also sending them back to the capital is better than all of them dying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
After pretty easily stomping the Master AI with LA-Abyssia and MA-Bandar I can't seem to win unless I get a great start and use an awake rainbow or half rainbow pretender. I seem to have a lot of trouble properly expanding unless I have some kind of gimmick to lean on. What are good general tips to get to 15 by the end of year one? Do I generally want to go 4 spaces back and hold and attack unless against cav or what?

Also I can't seem to do poo poo against anything with glamour, one of my failed games was with EA-ctis against an early agressive vanheim. I beelined directly to ench 5 and was spewing a bunch of skeletons but he had too many priests and too much damage with the glamoured troops all over the place. I was doing a stupid W9D9 bless so that's probably the entire reason for that failure.

And I just got beat by throne victory to EA-Vanheim, even though I was the research leader with Clealum, glamour troops are brutal.

Washout fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Apr 17, 2016

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

ea van is stupidly good, so don't feel too bad there. like compare vanhere's stats to most other sacreds and then look at how much they cost, it's disgusting. also a bless on any ctis is kind of waste. go scales and make more wizards. also probably take an awake expander with ctis because they don't have the strongest troops around. by rainbow do you mean like a human with a bunch of different paths? that seems bad most of the time.

p.s. bandar with b9 is the coolest way possible because they get all of the good lanka summons.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Yeah in my bandar game I had no problems since my pretender could summon everything. But I did an ea-mictlan game and got stomped with a w9b9 bless because my expansion was all screwey and I ran into hinnom with raphaliets who rushed me before I could do anything but that might just be because the AI just gets huge gold bonuses right off the bat. But my initial expansions are always way too slow.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
1 Million Skeletons is well and good but the real power comes when you can cast rigor mortis and relief at the same time. Most nations with skele spam access can get rigor mortis no problem. So the trick is to get relief, which isn't much of a trick as a lot of strong skelly spammers also have pretty good nature access. A few nations will have to jump through hoops between empowering, crafting, or just giving your god the paths needed. Also make sure you are actually skelly spamming. 1 Million Skeletons is hyperbolic but not by much. 5 mages half assedly casting horde of undead is nice, but you really want to just pull your entire mage stack the second you hit enchantment 5 and just go bull doze the ai.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Washout posted:

Yeah in my bandar game I had no problems since my pretender could summon everything. But I did an ea-mictlan game and got stomped with a w9b9 bless because my expansion was all screwey and I ran into hinnom with raphaliets who rushed me before I could do anything but that might just be because the AI just gets huge gold bonuses right off the bat. But my initial expansions are always way too slow.

i don't play a lot of mictlan but i think the dubbless for them is f9b9 maybe try that? in general i've never really had trouble expanding with them. are you using arrow decoys? with the giants you really need to make sure you've got at least two forts pumping out tons of jags all the time and lure their armies into your h3 lands to gently caress them up. if possible sac at them to easily drive the fight to them.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

or just tell them to do something else like shoot a bow or stay behind troops

Stay behind troops on a mage is cast spells.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Washout, stop playing against the AI you doofus. Play with us.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

How are u posted:

Washout, stop playing against the AI you doofus. Play with us.

I'm lucky to get 10 provinces in the first year and still fumble all over the place, plus the slow pace of the games kind of turns me off. When I play vs. the AI I can complete a game in a day or two. At any rate I'm trying to get to the point where I can reliably beat the master and insane AI then I'll play with people, not even necessarily beat them really but at least get a good expansion and a positive troop flow going.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Washout posted:

I'm lucky to get 10 provinces in the first year and still fumble all over the place, plus the slow pace of the games kind of turns me off. When I play vs. the AI I can complete a game in a day or two. At any rate I'm trying to get to the point where I can reliably beat the master and insane AI then I'll play with people, not even necessarily beat them really but at least get a good expansion and a positive troop flow going.

I don't think I've ever played against anything but the default AI and I've won vs goons. The AI having huge stacks is just going to lead to bad habits. If you choose a nation and ask in IRC we'd be happy to tell you how we would expand using them.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

ea van is stupidly good, so don't feel too bad there. like compare vanhere's stats to most other sacreds and then look at how much they cost, it's disgusting. also a bless on any ctis is kind of waste. go scales and make more wizards. also probably take an awake expander with ctis because they don't have the strongest troops around. by rainbow do you mean like a human with a bunch of different paths? that seems bad most of the time.

p.s. bandar with b9 is the coolest way possible because they get all of the good lanka summons.

Elves are good

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

amuayse posted:

Elves are good
As someone getting completely destroyed by elves in an online game, I will counter that elves are Bad.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Washout posted:

Take it from a fellow newbie. Playing against the AI is like bashing your head against a brick wall. It's boring and makes you retarded.

The best way to bootstrap your way into a game is to watch some of Nuclearmonkee's LPs and ape (ha ha) his technique. They're easy to understand and he provides an excellent running commentary. Afterwards just ask in IRC and the many goons there will usually be more than glad to help.

Playing against other humans is completely different and far more entertaining.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Z the IVth posted:

Take it from a fellow newbie. Playing against the AI is like bashing your head against a brick wall. It's boring and makes you retarded.

Yes. Just play against people.

Then you just have to be better than everyone else. It's a strong strategy and works for me, personally. (Also ask Nuclearmonkee how to kill people. He knows. He knows.)

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Z the IVth posted:

Playing against other humans is completely different and far more entertaining.

A computer can't hate you back. What's the point?

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Z the IVth posted:

Add this to the OP imo.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

The only way to play fast against people is to blitz, which only a few people do, and are always just major bless slug-fests since to do complicated mage orders and scripting takes too much time and effort.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Stay behind troops on a mage is cast spells.

fuckkkkk if i had known this earlier many lizards would not have died needlessly

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I set my super duper elite sacreds to guard my super duper buffed god when he attacked a province, but he wouldn't cast any spells since he didn't want to spend gems.
So we retreated and all my sacreds died because they couldn't breather underwater.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Does anyone know how patrolling works exactly? Like people know that flying doubles the effectiveness or something but does strength or undisciplined or anything like that factor into it?

Also soul contracts vs. summon ozelotl what is more efficient? Or are soul contracts generally bad because the time on return is so long?

Washout fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 18, 2016

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Ozelotls are great because they're sacred and have 3 attacks.
Soul contracts are only good for MA Aby.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Decrepus posted:

The only way to play fast against people is to blitz, which only a few people do, and are always just major bless slug-fests since to do complicated mage orders and scripting takes too much time and effort.

Nationgen Blitz is the one true path

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Washout posted:

Does anyone know how patrolling works exactly? Like people know that flying doubles the effectiveness or something but does strength or undisciplined or anything like that factor into it?

it's AP, i don't believe str or undis matter at all. the move common patroller is summoned wolves.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Blitzes are amazing, I will stand by that.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I do have a question w/r/t patrolling, specifically with zotz, they have patrol bonus -1, that means they are WORSE at patrolling, correct?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

MF_James posted:

I do have a question w/r/t patrolling, specifically with zotz, they have patrol bonus -1, that means they are WORSE at patrolling, correct?

yes, but they are also insanely cheap and fly so they are still ok at it.

Atlanton
Mar 23, 2013

amuayse posted:

Ozelotls are great because they're sacred and have 3 attacks.
Soul contracts are only good for MA Aby.

And even for Abysia, they aren't great.

They have some great devil leaders, but the nation needs to be able to not die before it can afford 55 slaves for something that pays off in over a year.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

How many points of research should one be adding every turn, on average, in order to keep up with a typical curve?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

How many points of research should one be adding every turn, on average, in order to keep up with a typical curve?

as many as you can.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

generally go with the most bang for your buck mage, you should be recruiting one from every labbed fort (or just lab if you have foreign recruits) forever

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
in the long run the average research curve is a horizontal line, which i think means you should buy lance cavalry instead of mages

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
as a bonus if you do this you don't have to worry about how you spend your mage turns

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Patrolling also includes precision. I think the formula is something like (ap/20) + (prec/20) and if you fly it treats your ap as 30. So a regular rear end boring militia man has a patrol strength of 1, a wolf with 20 ap and 5 prec has 1.25, and a tiny bird has at least 1.5 from its flying alone before you factor in whatever prec it has.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

and a condor has a score of like 7.4 or something

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Actually condors have a +20 patrol bonus (!) so they have equivalent patrol power to 22.2 boring rear end militia men. They also have a +5 siege bonus which is probably what you were thinking of.

Apparently Black Hawks are good but Summon Condors is by far the most gem efficient way to get patrollers in the game. Shame Nazca doesn't have blood.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Well on the subject of birds, I did eventually get around to doing the Ababil Birds sprite for you, Boing. Their sejil stones caused disease and death.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ababil_%28mythology%29

Atlanton
Mar 23, 2013
I was curious about how the reveal sites thing worked, so I made a mod that sets all the sites to level 0.

It appears to work.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hj58fx8s29s68y8/RevealSites.zip?dl=0

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

all sites being 0 does other things though, i think. making things that are event only be not event only anymore maybe.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
for a long time changing the rarity on a site reset everything else about it, so you would have a map full of 0-gem sites unless you remade every site from scratch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Boing posted:

Actually condors have a +20 patrol bonus (!) so they have equivalent patrol power to 22.2 boring rear end militia men. They also have a +5 siege bonus which is probably what you were thinking of.

Apparently Black Hawks are good but Summon Condors is by far the most gem efficient way to get patrollers in the game. Shame Nazca doesn't have blood.

Since they're not commanders, what are you supposed to use to lead your patrol of summoned Condors around with?

• Locked thread