Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Orv posted:

The second door shortcut from Cathedral back to Cleansing Chapel has a second door by it, which leads to an elevator, which leads to a ladder, which leads to suffering.

Sometimes I don't know how the hell I miss these things. Thanks! I look forward to glancing at a walkthrough after I finish my first run and discovering all the stuff I missed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Just got the Dark Sword and full dark armour set (this grass shield clashes so hard tho :( ).

Time to wreck mother fuckers.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Orv posted:

I'm not 100% but that looks like the reverse of the skyline you see of Peak from Irythll. Though the altitude absolutely doesn't make sense for that.

Well, on the left side there's another structure:

which I assume is Archdragon Peak from the shape of it. If you were at one, you could definitely see across to the other between the mountains; that's why I think the one on the right is Irithyll, because it's lower in altitude.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 22, 2016

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Side Effects posted:

I got this really strange bug on ps4 today where my blood meter kept building instead of going down after being hit once by an enemy that caused bleed. It would even proc multiple times, starting over from zero after filling all the way. Restarting the game seems to have fixed it but for a while I was all :psyduck: trying to figure out what was happening.

If you got hit by an enemy made of leeches, that wasn't a bug; you had leeches hanging off you! You can get rid of them instantly by whipping out a torch.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Groovelord Neato posted:

this game was so good it's unfair. there's nothing else to play. gently caress video games.

On the upside, this looks to have the same kind of build diversity as DS2, so we can just play it again.

Thumbtacks posted:

I never looked off Vordt's area, I didn't relize you can see 95% of the game from there. That's...cool.

Even though the game plays very linearly compared to DS1, the "oh awesome, you can see there from here" vantage points in this game go a long way towards making it feel like you're criss crossing around a cohesive world. Moreso than DS1 even, I reckon.

quote:

Anyway I'm guessing Londor will be a DLC area we go to so that will probably answer some questions. I hope Kaathe is a boss so we can see what the "body" of a primordial serpent is, that kind of thing always bugs me. gently caress you Diglett.

As much as I'd love to see lore-related DLC, what I really want is DLC that slots into and expands the existing world to give you more options as you move through the game. No reason they can't do both though I suppose, since Lothric is where all worlds converge after all.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

hampig posted:

On the upside, this looks to have the same kind of build diversity as DS2, so we can just play it again.

but i can never figure out i'm fighting gwyn's son or the chosen undead again :(

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
I think with the extinguish the flame ending, you fire keeper says that there are other flames in the darkness. Perhaps these flames could be second, or third, or so on flames. Maybe all this poo poo happened because people were afraid to let the first flame die before they could find a second flame, when they had to let the first die to find the second in the first place. Assuming thats the case, after the age of dark will be a proper second age of light, without the curse, and hopefully people will know not to try to unnaturally extend it again

Thats my hope, at least.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Voice chat works if you're invading, right?

Orv
May 4, 2011

CJacobs posted:

which I assume is Archdragon Peak from the shape of it. If you were at one, you could definitely see across to the other between the mountains; that's why I think the one on the right is Irithyll, because it's lower in altitude.

Hm, yeah that tracks. I guess that's the only real option that far out, but I would think then that given how you see the Cathedral from Irithyllylylyl that Peak would be to the right. Transitory, etc :shrug:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

I think with the extinguish the flame ending, you fire keeper says that there are other flames in the darkness. Perhaps these flames could be second, or third, or so on flames. Maybe all this poo poo happened because people were afraid to let the first flame die before they could find a second flame, when they had to let the first die to find the second in the first place. Assuming thats the case, after the age of dark will be a proper second age of light, without the curse, and hopefully people will know not to try to unnaturally extend it again

Thats my hope, at least.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the qualitative difference is in the variant version of that ending or why the game lets you whack the Firekeeper after she picks up the Flame unless the point is that she's going to preserve what's left of it and the player wants to deliberately snuff it and put an end to the aforementioned hope

It says "End the Fire", but I don't think she actually snuffs the flame at all?

Orv
May 4, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Orv posted:

Hm, yeah that tracks. I guess that's the only real option that far out, but I would think then that given how you see the Cathedral from Irithyllylylyl that Peak would be to the right. Transitory, etc :shrug:

Actually I just checked, it should be behind Irithyll.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I think the point of that ending is you are refusing to link the fire and preserve it and instead you're letting the Fire Keeper tend to it until it dies out naturally. She does mention something along the lines of "I'm a Fire Keeper after all, I'll tend the flame to the last". So I'm also unsure of what the point is of shanking her other than being a colossal jackass.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Is there some requirement to join the Darkmoons? I found the covenant NPC, but the only option I get is "Do Nothing".

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
:laffo: entered Lorien fight, die immediately

Also, why are poison arrows so useless? They were critical in DaS2 for a scaredbaby like me

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Toriori posted:

:laffo: entered Lorien fight, die immediately

Getting immediately splatted by him because of where the game spawns you after the cutscene is a rite of passage.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

HaB posted:

Is there some requirement to join the Darkmoons? I found the covenant NPC, but the only option I get is "Do Nothing".

You use the gesture Sirris gives you.

Orv
May 4, 2011

HaB posted:

You need an emote from Sirris. If you pissed her off by joining Rosaria's and giving her a tongue you are SOL.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

HaB posted:

You have to know the Darkmoon Loyalty gesture from an early step in Sirris's quest to have the option to join, as your character performs it to be admitted.

You can also kill Yorshka and she'll drop the Darkmoon covenant seal, but if you do that you can't talk to or turn items in to her until the next cycle, and she's the turn-in NPC for both Darkmoon and Sentinels.

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

What do you mean 'no performing monkeys'?
I have spent a lot of time trolling people in PvP, I made a video about my most recent antics.

Please enjoy my video. It involves an area a bit of a ways into the game but also not that much. Maybe it's a little spoilery then if you haven't got at least one ~~~big bad boss soul~~~ yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEOqC6K_rp8

:siren: remember might be spoilers, I don't know how to give hints about if you're ready to watch yet without spoiling!

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

HaB posted:

You need to do the darkmoon gesture you get from sirris.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

TheRam posted:

I have spent a lot of time trolling people in PvP, I made a video about my most recent antics.

My latest activities in PvP involve throwing turds on the host and summons if they camp, then getting the gently caress out while the toxic ticks their health away :getin:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

a million phantoms running around sure isn't fun

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Is there any way to make the dragonslayer swordspears special come out quicker?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Questions about Anri and spoilers:

I followed all of the steps on the guide here:

http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Anri+of+Astora

Except I didnt' do uh, most of them until I had already killed Pontiff Sulhyvan. I killed him, then found her in the cave near the catacombs, then killed Horace, then found her at the church bonfire and talked to her. She called me heroic and gave me a ring. Apparently:

"DO NOT kill the pilgrim in the corner of the room when talking to Anri at the Church of Yorshka bonfire. Doing so will void the ending."

I have no idea if I did or not. I never saw it, nor do I recall it. I went through the area hours before I did the other steps then went back just for her. I went to speak to Yuria, however her dialogue has not changed.

Did I gently caress this up by doing it out of order?

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

voltcatfish posted:

a million phantoms running around sure isn't fun

i peace out until a second dark spirit or mad phantom come in and then jihad the host from hiding while everyone goes nuts swinging and spewing fire and poo poo everywhere. motherfucker you aren't getting to that boss embered up on my watch!! i can't seem to settle on a straight sword for r1 spam or a huge two-hander for alpha damage though. they both seem really good for different reasons

related to loving with people: can you use rapport on enemies as an invader to get them to follow you?

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

The Moon Monster posted:

Do I have a bad level/weapon rank combination for covenant invasions? The only way I'm able to invade is with the red eye orb. I'm at 74/+10 (well, +5 boss weapon). I did the entirety of NG+ High Wall and Undead Settlement embered without getting a single invasion.

Join the Aldrich Hunters, I'm lvl 81 with +9 weapons and I got 10 human dregs in under an hour, tons of fun. You don't need to orb invade, just have the badge on and stand around in Anor Londo.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

StrangeAeon posted:

I feel like I'm missing on so much in this game, though I try to be as diligent as possible while exploring.

Also, I occasionally find a note saying "Try Gesture" or something similar. Any idea what this is about?

There is a specific gesture you get pretty late in the game, you'll want to go back to where you see that "try gesture" message and try it when you have it

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Filthy Hans posted:

Join the Aldrich Hunters, I'm lvl 81 with +9 weapons and I got 10 human dregs in under an hour, tons of fun. You don't need to orb invade, just have the badge on and stand around in Anor Londo.

Adding on to that, Aldrich hunters have really favorable setups for the invaders. You still have to deal with a shitload of healing, but there're fewer phantoms (because the run to the boss is very, very long), and the invaders are so active that you just have to kill time to even up the stakes by pulling a fellow invader. Plus there's a shitload of environmental stuff in your favor.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I've noticed a few texture issues in the game.

Anyone else get this?

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

What do you mean 'no performing monkeys'?

MrLonghair posted:

My latest activities in PvP involve throwing turds on the host and summons if they camp, then getting the gently caress out while the toxic ticks their health away :getin:

Yeh getting 3 on 1'd is what caused me to adopt the strategy I did. That and it uses the two most hilarious spells.

Noted though! My character is level capped at 30 so I can harass newbies.

General question: does anyone know with confidence if and how weapon upgrades affect matchmaking? I have the issue of my bandit dagger doing rear end for crits (sharp +3) but I don't want to lose the ability to murder newbies who've barely begun their journey just so I can try to crit for more damage.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

TheRam posted:

Yeh getting 3 on 1'd is what caused me to adopt the strategy I did. That and it uses the two most hilarious spells.

Noted though! My character is level capped at 30 so I can harass newbies.

General question: does anyone know with confidence if and how weapon upgrades affect matchmaking? I have the issue of my bandit dagger doing rear end for crits (sharp +3) but I don't want to lose the ability to murder newbies who've barely begun their journey just so I can try to crit for more damage.

Yeah, I think weapon matching tiers are 0, 1-3, 4-6, 7-9, and 10.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

TheRam posted:

+2 when it comes to 10rank weapons, so carrying +8 on my pvp mage means I'll meet +6 to +10. That's what redditors found at least

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Aldrich yesterday taught me that sometimes, straight sword spam really is the way to go. I'm loving my Astora Greatsword but the moment I switched to a Longsword I think my DPS on Aldrich drat near doubled, probably because I could swing once or twice and still have enough Stamina to sprint away from arrows.

Now I'm out of town for the weekend and can't play again until Sunday and I just want to go do more Darkmoon PvP and keep exploring drat it this game is good

TheRam posted:

Please enjoy my video. It involves an area a bit of a ways into the game but also not that much. Maybe it's a little spoilery then if you haven't got at least one ~~~big bad boss soul~~~ yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEOqC6K_rp8

:siren: remember might be spoilers, I don't know how to give hints about if you're ready to watch yet without spoiling!

This looks crazy fun and I want to invade there now.

There are so many fun-looking areas to invade in the early game and nasty tricks you can pull when you do. I love that poo poo in these games.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 22, 2016

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Nuebot posted:

So I've noticed a few texture issues in the game.

Anyone else get this?

Are you on PS4? I got similar texture errors with DS2 SoTFS if my console had been on for several hours. In DS3 the only problem I have is the textures sometimes load slowly.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Harrow posted:

Aldrich yesterday taught me that sometimes, straight sword spam really is the way to go. I'm loving my Astora Greatsword but the moment I switched to a Longsword I think my DPS on Aldrich drat near doubled, probably because I could swing once or twice and still have enough Stamina to sprint away from arrows.

This was my strategy the whole game, yeah. Sunlight Straight Sword feels pretty ridiculous with a quality build.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RatHat posted:

This was my strategy the whole game, yeah. Sunlight Straight Sword feels pretty ridiculous with a quality build.

Yeah, straight swords in general are definitely the most effective. I've been having fun rolling with the Astora Greatsword for a while just for variety's sake, though, and it's definitely a good weapon. It owns really hard in PvP, too.

Guess I'll just keep a straight sword upgraded to switch to whenever "just be faster" is a necessary strategy.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
gently caress this stupid ancient dragon boss. "weakness head" so I do a plunging attack. Then it moves its head and I fall to my death.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Did they patch out the tree jump trick to get to the crows in Firelink? I've been trying for a while, when before I could do it pretty easily.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Might as well ask again:

Is there anyone on PS4 willing to part ways with their Gotthard Twinswords and/or Drang Twinspears? I'm thinking of doing a gimmick build but they lock those waaay too late for my taste and I want to actually fight some NG bosses with them. I don't know what I could offer but I'd be glad to give something if possible.

I've got the Twinspears I'm willing to part with. PSN name StrangestAeon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Nuebot posted:

gently caress this stupid ancient dragon boss. "weakness head" so I do a plunging attack. Then it moves its head and I fall to my death.

Time your jump right as its done breathing fire and starting to lower its head.

Neo_Crimson posted:

Did they patch out the tree jump trick to get to the crows in Firelink? I've been trying for a while, when before I could do it pretty easily.

No. Still works as of 20 minutes ago.