Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Who the hell is the fairy? Also glasses guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

lurksion posted:

Who the hell is the fairy? Also glasses guy.

His childhood friend and a girl they found frozen in a cave. It's an alternate story type of deal.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
I'm kind of getting the urge to go back and try Warriors Orochi 3 again. It was my first time with the Orochi series' signature brand of insanity, and I think I got about ~20 hours in before I lost interest the first time - any advice for helping it "click"?

Like, "don't worry about the Social Link stuff," "pick a few characters you like and stick with 'em" vs. "spread the XP around as much as possible," "don't worry about upgrading weapons too much until the end-game," that kind of stuff?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Use Xiahou Ba. Put Osmosis on his weapon. Use R1 and then C4 through everything. Repeat constantly. Destroy everything. Enjoy being God.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Don't bother with recommended teams and just use your A team. Also play Gauntlet mode because it both owns and is how you get your character's best weapons.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I got samurai w4e and I'm liking it but one weird question: i got an objective to take 2 bases with a minor character and for some reason the game stopped registering that i was entering a base, like no health bar appeared and no amount of killing made it get captured. Is this a bug or was I only supposed to capture specific bases?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

I got samurai w4e and I'm liking it but one weird question: i got an objective to take 2 bases with a minor character and for some reason the game stopped registering that i was entering a base, like no health bar appeared and no amount of killing made it get captured. Is this a bug or was I only supposed to capture specific bases?

Did the bases connected to that base get taken over by the enemy while you were running there? I think you can't actively hurt bases if you don't have a direct route to them via the links on the map.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvkG4UVRCmk

The trailer for the sRPG. Monocle boy looks cute and Lu Lingqi got acknowledged so my interest increased by 100%.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

im interested in what the story is considering you appear to control lu linqqi, xiahou dun and wu guy whose name i forgot in it

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Is the One Piece Pirate Warriors 3™ for steam enjoyable? Is it enjoyable for someone who knows nothing about One Piece other than like I'm pretty sure one guy has stretchy limbs?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Is the One Piece Pirate Warriors 3™ for steam enjoyable? Is it enjoyable for someone who knows nothing about One Piece other than like I'm pretty sure one guy has stretchy limbs?

Kind of. I watched a bit of it which in the game makes up about 25% or a a third, so that stuff all made sense. When I started getting into stuff I hadn't seen the story started getting a little more difficult to follow. Mainly towards the end, where it seemed like things suddenly take a huge escalation. It was still fun, and I didn't really feel like I was missing out on much, but you can definitely tell that they were skipping parts because characters would show up and act like you should already know them.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Is it a good PC port?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It runs 60 fps on potato comps.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Gharbad the Weak posted:

The actual gameplay is pretty great, it has probably the most diverse movesets in the genre and outside of one specific level that everybody hates there aren't really any obtuse or bad maps. The storyline is pretty compressed, though; it tries to fit something like 600 chapters into about two dozen episodes, meaning that each stage comprises an entire arc, characters tend to come out of nowhere even more than the source material, and a lot of 'minor' arcs get skipped even when they're important to characterization. You'll probably be able to understand the broad strokes, but a lot of characters and motivations will be a mystery unless you delve heavily into the glossary and probably look into outside material. I'd say it's a pretty good game, though.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

kvx687 posted:

The storyline is pretty compressed, though; it tries to fit something like 600 chapters into about two dozen episodes, meaning that each stage comprises an entire arc, characters tend to come out of nowhere even more than the source material, and a lot of 'minor' arcs get skipped even when they're important to characterization. You'll probably be able to understand the broad strokes, but a lot of characters and motivations will be a mystery unless you delve heavily into the glossary and probably look into outside material.

In other words it's a dynasty warriors game.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
That's mostly true, although Dynasty Warriors 7 in particular did a significantly above average job at telling the actual story.

I also recall people saying the first One Piece game didn't rush through the contents it covered nearly as much.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
2 was its own original story, and DQ heroes certainly had a lengthy campaign comparatively to a midrange jrpg.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Davincie posted:

im interested in what the story is considering you appear to control lu linqqi, xiahou dun and wu guy whose name i forgot in it

Xiahou Dun has always been the Wei mascot, and while Zhou Yu hasn't been a major character in a long time, they used him in the box art to represent Wu when the other two are present

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

Takoluka posted:

Use Xiahou Ba. Put Osmosis on his weapon. Use R1 and then C4 through everything. Repeat constantly. Destroy everything. Enjoy being God.

This is really helpful, actually; does anybody else have characters that are worth an extra look / good weapon-affix combos for them? The OW3 roster is just so freakin' huge, I get overwhelmed trying to choose... :ohdear:

Internet Friend posted:

Don't bother with recommended teams and just use your A team. Also play Gauntlet mode because it both owns and is how you get your character's best weapons.

I'm not sure what Gauntlet Mode is. Is it something that unlocks after a certain point in the story?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Ghost of Starman posted:

This is really helpful, actually; does anybody else have characters that are worth an extra look / good weapon-affix combos for them? The OW3 roster is just so freakin' huge, I get overwhelmed trying to choose... :ohdear:

I'm not sure what Gauntlet Mode is. Is it something that unlocks after a certain point in the story?

Are you playing original WO3 or WO3 Ultimate?

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Uh... original. XBOX 360.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Ghost of Starman posted:

Uh... original. XBOX 360.

Okay. Gauntlet's not in that one. I 1000'd that game, so my suggestions are:

- Seriously, always use Xiahou Ba.
- Use whoever you want as the other two. Experiment, and have fun.
- If achievements are important to you, always switch out characters and try everyone, so you can work towards S proficiencies with them.
-- For that, be sure to equip whatever the Proficiency increase skill (Industry? I don't remember) to your weapon. Buy weapons with the ability in the shop, and fuse them onto your main weapon. This is a great way to get Osmosis for Xiahou Ba too.
- Easy difficulty nets the same EXP gains, so don't be afraid to just blast through enemies with low level people. If you get an EXP Fever item drop, kill everything fast and collect as much as you can. I believe that item is in the original, anyway.

WO3 was a fun game, and I'm still going through WO3U (on break for now). If you have other questions, I'll try and help you out.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Also,
If you want to due a ton of Triple Attacks, Wang Yuanji will build the gauge in like 5 seconds against large groups.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
And Triple Attacks have a chance have a better chance of dropping... Crystals, is it? Is it worth trying to farm them up that way?

Takoluka posted:

WO3 was a fun game, and I'm still going through WO3U (on break for now). If you have other questions, I'll try and help you out.

Thanks! Second question, I guess - the Big Star (Ultimate?) weapons have started appearing in the store for me. Are they worth using as soon as possible, since (I'm guessing) their damage doesn't get decent until their compatibility has been raised?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Ghost of Starman posted:

And Triple Attacks have a chance have a better chance of dropping... Crystals, is it? Is it worth trying to farm them up that way?

Thanks! Second question, I guess - the Big Star (Ultimate?) weapons have started appearing in the store for me. Are they worth using as soon as possible, since (I'm guessing) their damage doesn't get decent until their compatibility has been raised?

Yeah, I think Big Star weapons become the best in the original WO3. WO3U introduced more weapons which obsoleted the Big Star weapons though.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Allarion posted:

Yeah, I think Big Star weapons become the best in the original WO3. WO3U introduced more weapons which obsoleted the Big Star weapons though.

I believe this is the case, yes. They start out super weak, so you'll need to increase weapon compatibility (I think this is actually what Industry does, now that I think about it!) to get the attack bonus gains as quickly as possible.

And as stated above, Wang Yuanji is great for getting the Triple Attack gauge to fill up like crazy. TAs are great for getting gem item drops and the like from large mobs, so take advantage of that. Also, it looks cool. Also also, there are special Triple Attacks! For example, a party of Da Ji, Zhen Ji, and No will do a special TA that may or may not deal more damage but just looks awesome.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Is there a way to get rid of slotted upgrades like Industry? Because if not, while Industry would help you get your proficiency up more quickly, once it's at max that'd basically be a dead slot, right? :ohdear:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost of Starman posted:

Is there a way to get rid of slotted upgrades like Industry? Because if not, while Industry would help you get your proficiency up more quickly, once it's at max that'd basically be a dead slot, right? :ohdear:

You can copy new abilities over top of old ones.

By the time I am done with a weapon it ends up with Wind/Slay, Tri-Element, and the rest of the slots filled with those different colored super-abilities

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
If you see Himiko, always unload every single powerful attack at once and nuke her.

Otherwise you will regret your complacency.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Lunethex posted:

If you see Himiko, always unload every single powerful attack at once and nuke her.

Otherwise you will regret your complacency.

Yeah, Himiko is a little bullet hell shooter, and if she happens to be even slightly stronger than you, her C1 alone will end you in one volley.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I always thought it was funny that you can usually cruise right through Lu Bu and Tadakatsu and the like but a 12 year old 1000 year old demon with a couple of jars will pretty much instantly dust you if you let her.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Jibo posted:

I always thought it was funny that you can usually cruise right through Lu Bu and Tadakatsu and the like but a 12 year old 1000 year old demon with a couple of jars will pretty much instantly dust you if you let her.

According to RotTK, she was a ruler(?) of Wei, pretty young, and magical.

quote:

The country formerly had a man as ruler. For some seventy or eighty years after that there were disturbances and warfare. Thereupon the people agreed upon a woman for their ruler. Her name was Himiko [卑彌呼], her age at the time was only fourteen. She occupied herself with magic and sorcery, bewitching the people. Though mature in age, she remained unmarried. She had a younger brother who assisted her in ruling the country. After she became the ruler, there were few who saw her. She had one thousand women as attendants, but only one man. He served her food and drink and acted as a medium of communication. She resided in a palace surrounded by towers and stockades, with armed guards in a state of constant vigilance. (tr. Tsunoda 1951:13)

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
It is my experience that if she ever got close to me, every single time (about 4 instances) she would instantly musou and I'd be dead before I can blink. It was over that fast and a whole map worth of progress was lost.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

Rutibex posted:

You can copy new abilities over top of old ones.

Took me a while to figure it out, but the trick is that you can't copy over old abilities until all slots are filled. Which is perfectly reasonable; I was just worried all those Cavalier slots on my weapons were stuck there for good.

Takoluka posted:

And as stated above, Wang Yuanji is great for getting the Triple Attack gauge to fill up like crazy. TAs are great for getting gem item drops and the like from large mobs, so take advantage of that.

Holy cow, you weren't kidding. I thought maybe it was a hidden property, or her Proficiency bonus was mis-labeled or something, but I'm guessing it's just because she throws a fan of piercing projectiles with every single button press? I know Zhu Rhong has throwing knives as well; are there any other characters that are similarly good at filling the TA? (Not that I don't appreciate Wang, it's just that she seems veeery fragile right now.)

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Ghost of Starman posted:

I know Zhu Rhong has throwing knives as well; are there any other characters that are similarly good at filling the TA? (Not that I don't appreciate Wang, it's just that she seems veeery fragile right now.)

No, and that fragility isn't going away any time soon. It's actually kind of a staple of the game.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Idle observations:
1.) Just got Shuten Doji as the first of the "whoa this guy's totally a badass trust us" plot characters. I like his design and really wanted to like him as a character, but the only thing that really stands out (so far) is that his Musou attack is amaaazing. :haw:
2.) I really appreciate that the 'demure porcelain princess' goddess just wrecks poo poo with frickin' laser beams. Well. Moonbeams, I guess, but still.
3.) Fuuuck, Masanori Fukushima bugs the crap out of me. Like, just everything about him is annoying: his design, his fighting style, his loving VOICE (my god, his voice...). I'm kind of resenting the fact that I NEED to build up his links in order to unlock a stage. :sigh: At least I quite like Lu Meng and Lianshi...
3.5.) Goemon annyos me, too. :mad:
4.) I took Ma Dai out on a whim, because I remembered not particularly liking him, but I quite enjoy the game-within-a-game of setting up paintball minefields and detonating them at just the right time. I don't think I would have figured it out at all if I hadn't half-remembered his gimmick from back when I played him in DW7, though. Are there any other characters like that (with obfuscated / unexplained gimmicks so central to their playstyle) that might be worth a second look?

Edit: Oh right, more pressing question: my impression is that it's more efficient to use Growth Points for catching up low-level characters than it is for boosting already-decently-levelled folks. Is that right, or does it not really matter in what order / what proportion someone is leveled with XP vs. GP?

Ghost of Starman fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Apr 25, 2016

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Is Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires worth £15.49? Been messing around with the free version on PS4 and I'm kinda tempted. The only other 'musou' game I've played is Dragon Quest Heroes, and I don't care about the DW story. Kinda just wanna fill a campaign with customs.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Is Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires worth £15.49? Been messing around with the free version on PS4 and I'm kinda tempted. The only other 'musou' game I've played is Dragon Quest Heroes, and I don't care about the DW story. Kinda just wanna fill a campaign with customs.

DW8E is a bit on the easy side unfortunately. SW4E is probably the better Empires game at the moment.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Empires is pretty much a slightly more complicated game of tisk, except that instead of dice rolls, you use stages from whatever default warriors game it's built out of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

How good is the PC port of One Piece Pirate Warriors 3?

Edit: Rather, if I have access to a PS4 and a PC, which should I be grabbing One Piece for?

SilverMike fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 28, 2016