Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

From seriously need to stop making giant-sized bosses if they can't adjust the camera to work in the battle. I spend half the time looking inside the stupid bird dragon thing the Nameless King is riding on top of as well as lock-on constantly breaking and the camera unable to follow it when it flies up in the air. This is, by far, the worst boss in the game if only because From are utterly incapable of adjusting the camera appropriately (see: giant enemies in Bloodborne).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its ok to not use the lock on in every fight

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Stop locking on to giant enemies. That poo poo is only there for ranged attacks. They really aught to make lock auto break within a certain radius of those kind of bosses so people will stop trying to use it while fighting melee.

The first stage is easy if you're just controlling the camera yourself.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

I dont use lock-on if theyre like Vordt where you have to beat their testicles, rob thomas

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Oh man, I want to be mad at the Yhorm fight because I never would have figured that out on my own, but I have to admit... it was kind of cool.

But now I'm pissed because THE DANCER STOLE MY 36K SOULS!!! And then kicked me out!!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

You can parry the Champ??? :psypop:

You can parry both of his incarnations (aside from second phase, obviously). I actually tried it on a new character tonight and it was surprisingly easy if you go for the broad swing. Definitely easier than trying to parry Pontiff, anyways.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Real hurthling! posted:

its ok to not use the lock on in every fight

i trained playing monster hunter in 10,000 times gravity and im here to tell u that locking on keeps your soul weighed down by gravity

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Curse Rotted Greatwood is a poo poo fight. Not saying it's a hard fight, just that poison crap in p2 sucks and means you spend half the fight running in circles not trying to hit his weak points.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Luceid posted:

i trained playing monster hunter in 10,000 times gravity and im here to tell u that locking on keeps your soul weighed down by gravity

i tried MH after souls and it felt like trying to play ocarina with the metal boots on the whole time.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Are we Hollow, or are we Dancer?
My armor's flowing
It resists cold
Staring at the rear end like it has the answer
Are we Hollow? Or are we Dancer?

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Robo Reagan posted:

Curse Rotted Greatwood is a poo poo fight. Not saying it's a hard fight, just that poison crap in p2 sucks and means you spend half the fight running in circles not trying to hit his weak points.

I got sick of this exact thing and started manually aiming fireballs at his Back Testicles. Or just say gently caress it, run in, and cut his Front Testicles because the poison doesn't stagger if I remember right. I'm in NG+ with Lorian's Greatsword, they still just burst like grapes

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Bugblatter posted:

Stop locking on to giant enemies. That poo poo is only there for ranged attacks. They really aught to make lock auto break within a certain radius of those kind of bosses so people will stop trying to use it while fighting melee.

The first stage is easy if you're just controlling the camera yourself.

I've not had luck. I end up not seeing attacks and get hit by the two-three hit combo when I don't lock on.

Can you parry his second form?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Someone mentioned something about trading weapons with no upgrades between characters way earlier in the thread, is that a thing? Is it just using the generous SL ranges and drop-trading or is there a finer method?

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

i tried MH after souls and it felt like trying to play ocarina with the metal boots on the whole time.

it'd be dope to do a little flex of victory after you chug estus though

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
so i'm farting around about to go to NG+ and thinking about switching to a faith melee guy. some other goon was talking up his amazing attack power with a lightning infused weapon. I'm running with obidachi/astora gs and ricard's rapier which are all at S scaling in faith. with the lightning clutch ring my AR is ~550 with the astora GS. ~450 with obidachi and ~400 with ricards. this is with 40 faith / 20 str / 20 dex

just wondering if theres anything i can stack to get my AR higher other than lightning clutch.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Tabletops posted:

40 faith / 20 str / 20 dex

if you're going NG+ and want to melee as faith you're gonna want a much fatter faith stat than 40. also pack deep protection and/or the sunlight oath for boss fights to stack because each one is a bump to your AR. also wear the lightning clutch because live on the EDGE motherfucker!!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

A Magical Lamp posted:

Turn the resolution down and play windowed

Turns out the game's a lot harder when not in permanent bullet time. Thanks!

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I'm a bit bummed out that I had to look up how to reach Archdragon Peaks but I never would've thought to return to that area. It's a little inconspicuous. I think it's harder to find than The Great Hollow + Ash Lake. I guess finding such things through messages/Internet is intended though.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Started my new pyromancer. Gonna take a bit to get used to not having an All:zero estus:ashen ratio.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Luceid posted:

if you're going NG+ and want to melee as faith you're gonna want a much fatter faith stat than 40. also pack deep protection and/or the sunlight oath for boss fights to stack because each one is a bump to your AR. also wear the lightning clutch because live on the EDGE motherfucker!!

Lightning weapons soft cap at 40 faith.

Other things other than Lightning Clutch and the above miracles are Flynn's Ring (kind of awful), Lloyd's Sword Ring (situational but decent if you are good at dodging) and Red Tearstone Ring (like Lloyd's but slightly higher damage in return for being a lot harder and more dangerous to trigger). There is also the Leo Ring which is a pretty significant damage boost if you are using a piercing weapon but it's not a raw AR boost.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Know what was a cool mechanic that was severely underused? Mirror Knight summons. I got it to work a handful of times and each was a blast. Dunno how that could be translated though since there aren't summon fights. Maybe come in as a skeleton for Wolnir :ghost:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Zerilan posted:

Started my new pyromancer. Gonna take a bit to get used to not having an All:zero estus:ashen ratio.

Get one of the chimes the Hollows in the tutorial area drop. You'll immediately have the stats to use it and Gentle Prayer is an effective (if boring) method of keeping your HP up between fights without having to blow Estus.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Luceid posted:

i'm just pumping my lightning damage. i noticed that after 40 faith the damage gain dropped off the exact same as str/dex soft cap at 40 on melee.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

For the guy having trouble with UK's first stage: Hang out on the right side (your left) of the wyvern's neck, just behind his head. Smack his head from behind and keep his neck in view, the way it curves will indicate all of the Unnamed King's attacks. The neck animations are really pronounced and distinctive. You'll just be dodging to the other side of the neck and back again, and that's it.

Dunno if the second form is parry-able or not, I didn't try in any of my playthroughs. If you want to trivialize it you can use Yhorm's greatshield, or any similar greatshield with over 70 stability and decent lightning defense.

snoremac posted:

I'm a bit bummed out that I had to look up how to reach Archdragon Peaks but I never would've thought to return to that area. It's a little inconspicuous. I think it's harder to find than The Great Hollow + Ash Lake. I guess finding such things through messages/Internet is intended though.

It's more like the Painted World equivalent than Great Hollow. Whereas Untended Graves is found quite a lot like Great Hollow is.

There are a few more clues for the Peak though. You can see it prominently from the view after Vordt so you know you can go there, and then the dragon dude is sitting staring right at it with an empty seat beside him. It that lodges in your memory then getting the same emote is enough to complete the logic... But that's a big if. Most people probably don't look super hard at the vista and then keep track of what parts they've been to before the end.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Apr 22, 2016

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

My girlfriend lives about 30 minutes away in a different town so I only see her on weekends. Usually it's the best part of my week...but now it's friday and I have to go see her and can't play Dark Souls for 3 days :(

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Wow, so if you don't personally score the kill as a blue spirit, you don't get anything? Why is it as hard as possible to rank up in this covenant?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So in true Souls fashion, if you get rekt maybe you shouldn't be there yet? I am getting creamed just trying to venture out into the beginnings of Smouldering Lake. I'm SL47. Should I head to Iriythyll of Boreal instead?

[Ed] never mind can't cross Boreal barrier...

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I don't remember if I got this question answered. Being summoned and all that is determined by Soul Level 1-10 and beyond? or 1-15?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Feenix posted:

So in true Souls fashion, if you get rekt maybe you shouldn't be there yet? I am getting creamed just trying to venture out into the beginnings of Smouldering Lake. I'm SL47. Should I head to Iriythyll of Boreal instead?

[Ed] never mind can't cross Boreal barrier...

You missed a whole area so yeah, you've got a good explanation for why you've started struggling. Head back to Halfway Fortress and puzzle it out.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

Know what was a cool mechanic that was severely underused? Mirror Knight summons. I got it to work a handful of times and each was a blast. Dunno how that could be translated though since there aren't summon fights. Maybe come in as a skeleton for Wolnir :ghost:

I really hope one of the DLC bosses is a PVP boss in some way because they're usually good fun.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
For the record, I got to Ithryll of Boreal Valley and Im at SL 49. After travelling around with a phantom, I get the feeling that maybe I need a gently caress ton of titanite to match the strength of the poo poo that's there

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
So it seems like the way to make Logarius v2 much easier is to just dodge to his right. His left hand had a weapon solely so he can catch you trying to go that way.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Alabaster White posted:

You missed a whole area so yeah, you've got a good explanation for why you've started struggling. Head back to Halfway Fortress and puzzle it out.

Mind just giving me the name (if there is one) of the bonfire you are referring to? I want to see if its on my list and I forgot about it or if I just haven't discovered it yet...

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Vermain posted:

Get one of the chimes the Hollows in the tutorial area drop. You'll immediately have the stats to use it and Gentle Prayer is an effective (if boring) method of keeping your HP up between fights without having to blow Estus.

I have no idea if the gentle chime heal keeps working once you put away the chime, because when you put it away the buff icon is removed. It's a reasonably strong heal for what it is, but it also takes about a while for all the health to trickle in so if switching away from the chime cancels it, blah. But it's still more health per FP spent than Heal Aid.

I'll take a moment to test this.

EDIT: Yup, switching away from the chime cancels the slow heal over time early. Still useful, but something to keep in mind.

Ah, beaten.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Apr 22, 2016

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Section Z posted:

I have no idea if the gentle chime heal keeps working once you put away the chime, because when you put it away the buff icon is removed. It's a reasonably strong heal for what it is, but it also takes about a while for all the health to trickle in so if switching away from the chime cancels it, blah. But it's still more health per FP spent than Heal Aid.

I'll take a moment to test this.

It doesn't, you have to keep it out.

Which is extra dumb because if you have a Blessed shield, the HP regen still works with it on your back, but I guess when you 2h something you put the chime AWAY and it's not active.

So basically if you regen HP that way you have to keep the chime out until you've regened it all, which can be annoying

it's still worth it though IMO

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Thumbtacks posted:

It doesn't, you have to keep it out.

Which is extra dumb because if you have a Blessed shield, the HP regen still works with it on your back, but I guess when you 2h something you put the chime AWAY and it's not active.

So basically if you regen HP that way you have to keep the chime out until you've regened it all, which can be annoying

it's still worth it though IMO

I am so loving glad that at least the Spook spell stays active when you put your staff away. Even if there is that oddball glitch where if you are two handing a weapon, people will notice me earlier with spook buff up, than they would if I were clanking towards them slowly in armor.

Literally run right up behind people with spook running one handed for a free backstab, but if I'm two handing a weapon they will almost always 180 to face me from 20 feet away even if I'm slow walking :wtc:

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Section Z posted:

I am so loving glad that at least the Spook spell stays active when you put your staff away. Even if there is that oddball glitch where if you are two handing a weapon, people will notice me earlier with spook buff up, than they would if I were clanking towards them slowly in armor.

Literally run right up behind people with spook running one handed, but if I'm two handing a weapon they will 180 to face me even if I'm slow walking :wtc:

It's been a lifesaver on my fisty build, I've punched my way through the game with cestus/demon fist and a blessed chime. It's been hard but it's surprisingly fun. I love the fists. They're great in PvP too which is weird.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Do I want to stop at 25dex/25str for the Can Equip Most Things Quality Man? Or take them both to 30/40?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

voltcatfish posted:

Do I want to stop at 25dex/25str for the Can Equip Most Things Quality Man? Or take them both to 30/40?

40/40

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Thumbtacks posted:

It's been a lifesaver on my fisty build, I've punched my way through the game with cestus/demon fist and a blessed chime. It's been hard but it's surprisingly fun. I love the fists. They're great in PvP too which is weird.

Yeah, if you have no spell slots or just one spell slot otherwise occupied then it way, way more valuable than just being willing to spend the FP on Heal Aid.

I'm still using a Chime right now anyways, because while I could buy that 112 default adjust talisman from the firekeeper right now I got this 112 mod chime already, and I'd rather have a cheaper heal just in case than the talisman buff of questionable use unless you want the extra help with lightning spells I don't have.

EDIT: It may take a full minute, but with just 14 Faith, a 112 adjust B chime will heal 360 HP.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Apr 22, 2016