Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Outside Dawg posted:

Most of the haters (on both sides) in my experience are people that have never ridden the style they hate. If you don't like one style or the other, I get that. Ride what you like and shut up already. We can all hate hipsters.

Preach!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

I don't want to get worked up, I might grab the antique shearing scissors and trim some of those hair product laden beards.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

To me, owning a Harley is like owning a classic muscle car.

Sure, you could drop $75000 on a new Corvette that's faster, handles better, has more amenities and is more reliable but that '68 Chevelle is just God drat cool in it's own different way.

New corvettes are also cool as hell. Just like I'd love to have a Ducati but my Road King is cool in a different way.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

Outside Dawg posted:

Most of the haters (on both sides) in my experience are people that have never ridden the style they hate. If you don't like one style or the other, I get that. Ride what you like and shut up already. We can all hate hipsters.

I loving hate hipsters!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

what sort of motorcycles make people mad about hipsters, i want one of those

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

OMGVBFLOL posted:

As far as I can tell "hipster" means "people who don't dress like me or do a thing the way I do it" because I have gotten as many definitions of the term as people I have asked when I hear them use it.

Every time I think I find a trait which fits everyone's definition, someone will prove me wrong.

Everyone just goes. "You know.....hipsters!"

No. I don't know.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I never rode a hipster, therefore I hate them

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

whatever they dont like, hth

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
typically anything that has any components manufactured by biltwell or sold by lowbrow

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

Duck_King posted:

Yeah, I like that about SA. We ride Harley's but no one here's going to say something retarded like "If it ain' a HARLEY it ain' a bike! Jap crap! Rice rocket!". My two Harley riding buddies, older guys in their 50's, don't say that retarded poo poo either, and it's nice.

Honestly I think that people that like motorcycles just like motorcycles. I mean they have their personal preferences as we all will. But most realize that different styles of bikes are just that.

Personally I bought the Harley based on the fact that it matches the kind of riding I do, day to day. But that in no way means that its the only bike I am interested in. Honestly my father is the same exact way. He likes the Harleys because thats what he had when he was a kid. But he is also a mechanical engineer and is very interested in any kind of motor.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Valt posted:

Honestly I think that people that like motorcycles just like motorcycles. I mean they have their personal preferences as we all will. But most realize that different styles of bikes are just that.

Personally I bought the Harley based on the fact that it matches the kind of riding I do, day to day. But that in no way means that its the only bike I am interested in. Honestly my father is the same exact way. He likes the Harleys because thats what he had when he was a kid. But he is also a mechanical engineer and is very interested in any kind of motor.

I feel like in my age group (40+) there's a pretty obvious divide between lifelong riders who happen to ride Harleys and Harley people who got into them specifically for the "lifestyle" and have little to no interest in other motorcycles.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

One of my favorite parts about Sonny Barger's memoir was when he lamented the apparently permanent link between american outlaw motorcycle clubs and Harleys. He makes it clear that he's loved every Harley he's ever ridden, but goes on to talk about how, especially early on, when they were chopping and rebuilding they weren't just trying to make cool poo poo, they wanted to go fast. They rode Harleys because after Indian folded the only large-displacement bikes on the market were Harley, BSA, and Triumph, and most guys wanted to buy American.

He talks about how he understands the attachment, but that European and Japanese makes "do 110 out of the box now" and thinks it would have been cool if biker clubs had kept up with technology.

It's a good read for anyone interested in the history of Harley culture, outlaw clubs, or even just the Bay Area in general.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

most guys wanted to buy American.

HD is unionized American labor. unless japanese and euro manufacturers can figure out a way to "keep up" with that it's a done deal.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Anyone else hate Harley switches? With basically no tactile feedback, they feel "dead" to me. Constantly checking to see if my signals are activating is really distracting. I've tried searching the internet but I'm not finding anything except some dude that converted to Honda switches. Was hoping for something less drastic.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
They're some of the nicest switches you'll find on a motorcycle.

I'm constantly checking to see if I canceled my signal, so constantly checking the signal is pretty much riding for me.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I think all riders can be categorized as either constant-signal-cancelled-checkers or constant-highest-gear-checkers.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
My wife's Magna had a OD (6th) indicator but I still looked for 7.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Sagebrush posted:

I think all riders can be categorized as either constant-signal-cancelled-checkers or constant-highest-gear-checkers.

Is "both" not an option? :tinfoil:

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Coydog posted:

Is "both" not an option? :tinfoil:

I hope it is :(

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Both checking in, also making sure it's in first at a stop light about a thousand times.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Sagebrush posted:

See, when I had my v-star I had to cancel all my own signals. It was automatic for me and never a thing I had to give second thought to. The self-canceling on the Harley seems to work great in turns, but is obviously lane-change dumb. I can live with this but I still often don't know if I've activated the signal without looking down at the tank, because the switches don't "click" or anything. This also true when canceling signals during lane changes.

With the v-star, if I felt maybe I didn't cancel my signal, I could always just press the signal button down a second time and feel if they were activated. No looking necessary. I've caught myself a few times on the Harley now just tooling down the road with a signal blinking incessantly.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
Yeah, I do wish my signals were a bit more "clicky", but I also like the auto cancel on them.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

trouser chili posted:

See, when I had my v-star I had to cancel all my own signals. It was automatic for me and never a thing I had to give second thought to. The self-canceling on the Harley seems to work great in turns, but is obviously lane-change dumb. I can live with this but I still often don't know if I've activated the signal without looking down at the tank, because the switches don't "click" or anything. This also true when canceling signals during lane changes.

With the v-star, if I felt maybe I didn't cancel my signal, I could always just press the signal button down a second time and feel if they were activated. No looking necessary. I've caught myself a few times on the Harley now just tooling down the road with a signal blinking incessantly.

The signals on my Wide Glide DO cancel for lane changes, tho. I read the spec somewhere. If you go for X distance above Y speed, it assumes you left it on accidentally. I forget what X and Y are, tho.

It definitely goes off, tho.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH
The starter on my non-motorcycle busted so I rode all week long on the bike. Contrary to what I thought would happen if subjected to seven days of Seattle rain, it did not melt and all the chrome is still there. Also, it was pretty outside to be out there, even if the rear liked to slide out from under me every once in a while

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH
Hello thread. So I added some bags mounted with Easy Brackets but kept the yoke for appearance or whatever. My goal of them at least not making the bike look worse was successful imo. In other news holy hell the S3 takes just garbage photos

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

I recently bought this guy. For cruising down the highway (which as I live in Texas is all I do) it's super good. It's 2008 dyna lowrider and when I bought it, it had 6,500 miles on it. As of now roughly 8 months later it has 13,000.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Valt posted:

I recently bought this guy. For cruising down the highway (which as I live in Texas is all I do) it's super good. It's 2008 dyna lowrider and when I bought it, it had 6,500 miles on it. As of now roughly 8 months later it has 13,000.

Nice. Welcome to the Dyna club.

Schlieren posted:

Hello thread. So I added some bags mounted with Easy Brackets but kept the yoke for appearance or whatever. My goal of them at least not making the bike look worse was successful imo. In other news holy hell the S3 takes just garbage photos

Those look good.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Gonna check this out tomorrow. Might swap my Mustang for it (I have too many 4 wheel vehicles but you can never have too many 2 wheeled).

'01 FXDWG

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Schlieren posted:

Easy Brackets are great. Let you remove the bags in seconds. Had a set on my old sportster.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

clutchpuck posted:

Gonna check this out tomorrow. Might swap my Mustang for it (I have too many 4 wheel vehicles but you can never have too many 2 wheeled).

'01 FXDWG

Nice, that's pretty clean for an 01 Wideglide.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Scrapez posted:

Easy Brackets are great. Let you remove the bags in seconds. Had a set on my old sportster.

The yoke makes getting the key into the lock a two-handed one-finger-only-on-each-hand challenge but that's fine with me, I won't be removing them all that often and if someone finds the key stashed on my bike, yeah good luck figuring THAT out

But now I can't put most sissy bars on the thing because that's where they'd mount and then you'd have all sorts of metal beneath that trim piece. I stuck the HD one there that mounts under the seat, because I have actual passengers every once in a while now. Kinda takes from the looks of the bike but whatever

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

What do you mean by the "yoke" ?

When I had the Easy Brackets on the sportster, I had the quick detach HD hardware on the inside and the bags fit on the tabs to the outside...

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Guy thought his dyna was worth $8000, which is not something we agreed about.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

clutchpuck posted:

I don't get how sellers all seem to think those are worth more now than they were new. $10k for a 2001? Uh...no.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Everyone thinks their bike is a special little snowflake and worth ridiculous money.

I'm sorry you spent $5000 at the Harley shop on some gaudy chrome parts but they make your bike worth about nothing more...

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

clutchpuck posted:

About $2700 over average retail, sheesh.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Scrapez posted:

Everyone thinks their bike is a special little snowflake

I do too... Until it's time to sell

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
My dyna set me back $31k (brand spanking new)

Gotta love countries with %118 import tax

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

adary posted:

My dyna set me back $31k (brand spanking new)

Gotta love countries with %118 import tax

why in gods name did you buy a new harley for $31k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

why in gods name did you buy a new harley for $31k

Because he is a billionaire and already has one of everything else and just needed this last piece. Right? Please be right.

• Locked thread