Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
First Play Build
Turtle
No Shield Melee
Caster
Kaz, what should I do. Tell me like you used to
View Results

• Locked thread
HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Bobnumerotres posted:

i figured. you can get that dark axe stupid early, guess a raw wep would be good for the short trip to that lol

Raw is still good for early game if you don't want to or can't use the axe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Why are Fire and Deep preferable to Raw? All three completely remove scaling right.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
and give scaling to int or faith with potential bonus damages

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Raw is good if you want to focus entirely on casting and use weapon buffs, and even then only if your weapon stats are super bad. But it's not useless

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

net cafe scandal posted:

Why are Fire and Deep preferable to Raw? All three completely remove scaling right.

yeah but a lot of enemies take more damage from dark/fire than they do physical so you end up stronger, especially early on

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Can you use temporary buffs on weapons that can't be normally infused? Wondering if it's worth it to grind out faith for lightning weapon buff when I'm mainly using Butcher's Knife

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Pre-Ithyrll boss tier list:

God: N/A

Great: Abyss Watchers, Cursed Tree

Good: Crystal Sage, Deacons, Vordt

OK: Iudex

Bad: Wolnir

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I beat nameless king

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I found this online is it accurate?

Refined: Balances STR/DEX Scaling
Heavy: Adds STR scaling, lowers base dmg
Sharp: Adds DEX scaling, lowers base dmg

Raw: Removes scaling, adds base dmg
Fire: Removes scaling, adds fire dmg
Deep: Removes scaling, adds dark dmg

Crystal: Adds mag dmg and INT scaling, lowers STR/DEX scaling and base dmg
Lightning: Adds lightning dmg and FTH scaling, lowers STR/DEX scaling and base dmg

Dark: Adds dark dmg and FTH/INT scaling, lowers STR/DEX scaling and base dmg
Chaos: Adds fire dmg and FTH/INT scaling, lowers STR/DEX scaling and base dmg

Poison: Adds poison dmg, lowers all scaling and base dmg
Blood: Adds bleed dmg, lowers all scaling and base dmg

Blessed: Adds constant HP recovery, adds low FTH scaling, lowers STR/DEX scaling and base dmg
Simple: Adds constant FP recovery, adds low INT scaling, lowers STR/DEX scaling and base dmg

Hollow: Adds LCK scaling, and LCK while hollow, lowers STR/DEX scaling and base dmg

Also the item description for Simple Gems say they're for people with learning disabilities lol.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
the simple gem item description literally made me Laugh Out Loud when I found one today

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

goferchan posted:

the simple gem item description literally made me Laugh Out Loud when I found one today

I like how the game is basically saying that if you use it you're retarded

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
My favorite description is probably the one for the wooden shield in Bloodborne.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i really like the rubbish description in this one, that says you have brain problems if you carry it around

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Rubbish with no value.

Who in their right mind would bother carrying this around? Perhaps you need help.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Refined lowers the base damage as well and it actually increases STR and DEX scaling but not as much as either. Due to the fact it reduces other scaling when you use a Heavy or Sharp gem, for some weapons that already scale equally with STR and DEX, it's better than either. The Longsword is a good example

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Larry Parrish posted:

Refined lowers the base damage as well and it actually increases STR and DEX scaling but not as much as either. Due to the fact it reduces other scaling when you use a Heavy or Sharp gem, for some weapons that already scale equally with STR and DEX, it's better than either. The Longsword is a good example

longsword fully upgraded and refined his amazing at 40 dex and str

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
hollow barely lowers scaling amd base damage so if ur hollow and have good luck it can be better than refined, especially if your weapons have innate bleed

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
just did a purple invasion where i couldnt find the host so i put on the fake host ring and hung out at the bonfire until a darkmoon was summoned....they ghought i was the host and started clearing enemies and i backstabbed them to death

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
not me but i use this weapon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYWNRgCCvU4

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

scary ghost dog posted:

just did a purple invasion where i couldnt find the host so i put on the fake host ring and hung out at the bonfire until a darkmoon was summoned....they ghought i was the host and started clearing enemies and i backstabbed them to death

i love these stupid rings

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

AHungryRobot posted:

Yeah the defiled and depth 5 chalices were hard as nails and epic as hell. Wished the level design had more variety though.

U never forget your first defiled chalice

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

the warden twinblades are ridiculous in pvp lol

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I'm feeling super proud of myself. Managed to beat Dancer solo today on my alt who is planning on being low-level faith watchdog. Wanted to get the sunlight straight and blessed weapon, which meant getting past Dancer early.

poo poo is HARD when it takes you like 50 hits to win and you can get one shot by the grab and generally get two shot by anything else. By the end it really felt like I was dancing with the dancer, I'm pretty sure I can never lose to her again at appropriate level range.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
beat the game.. when the music in the soul of cinder fight changed. oh my god

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBA7E-2KYT0

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lol

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Lmao

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

rediscover posted:

beat the game.. when the music in the soul of cinder fight changed. oh my god

The feels...

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Geeeeeeez the pontiff gives no fucks. What a badass.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

He's tough as hell.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

goferchan posted:

Can you use temporary buffs on weapons that can't be normally infused? Wondering if it's worth it to grind out faith for lightning weapon buff when I'm mainly using Butcher's Knife

You can't unfortunately. I tried this exact combination too.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

net cafe scandal posted:

I summoned for that fight because im a piece of poo poo

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Confusing lore stuff / optional boss spoilers I guess I misunderstood DS1, I thought Solaire was Gwyns son? I thought he was the destroyed statue in S&Os room. Is nameless king supposed to be Solaire? Or is he the second son

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Jackie D posted:

I summoned for that fight because im a piece of poo poo

Same although had I realised you can kill the copy I think I could have managed it.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

https://fat.gfycat.com/ForcefulAlertAustraliankestrel.webm

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

The Pontiff is an unbelievably epic boss.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Holy gently caress this is better than O&S.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Benny D posted:

Confusing lore stuff / optional boss spoilers I guess I misunderstood DS1, I thought Solaire was Gwyns son? I thought he was the destroyed statue in S&Os room. Is nameless king supposed to be Solaire? Or is he the second son
The Nameless King is the first son. Solaire was almost certainly just an extremely cool dude, which I think I like more - there was never really anything concrete suggesting he was a son. If u take DS1 by itself as a complete story there are enough clues to guess that he might have been the one missing guy, but now that space is filled, so

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Benny D posted:

I know a lot of people were happy we didn't get something like chalices, but they way FROM seems to get better at stuff the more they do it made me really excited to see chalice 2.0. Shame we didn't get it

Me too. I liked the idea of chalices, never got too involved with them though. I bet a second pass would have made them awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

The Pontiff is an unbelievably epic boss.

I think there's one other boss in DS3 that might be even more epic, but yes, he is an insane boss fight.

• Locked thread