Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vasudus
May 30, 2003
There's no loving way I would have stayed in if we were converting to peacetime. Hoooooly gently caress. Send me out to a FOB in the middle of nowhere, make me run route clearance every day, anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Vasudus posted:

There's no loving way I would have stayed in if we were converting to peacetime. Hoooooly gently caress. Send me out to a FOB in the middle of nowhere, make me run route clearance every day, anything.

Route Irish racing team!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

Route Irish racing team!

Horizontal or vertical race? :v:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Really glad I'm not around for 24/7/365 gently caress-gently caress garrison Army.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Someone here (I think) posted a great article about 90s army. Shinsheski, or one of those guys who eventually became like Chief of Staff, having his troops do some sort of training in front of a senator or something, and it was just so utterly ridiculous.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
sorry thats really vague, I'm hoping someone without as much of a broken brain remembers it better than me and can post it tia

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Someone here (I think) posted a great article about 90s army. Shinsheski, or one of those guys who eventually became like Chief of Staff, having his troops do some sort of training in front of a senator or something, and it was just so utterly ridiculous.

It was Petraeus.

http://www.vice.com/read/i-was-david-petreauss-bitch-in-the-90s-and-i-hated-every-second-of-it

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

thank you :kiddo:

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
Airborne.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-YsSL65quM

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Naked Bear posted:

Really glad I'm not around for 24/7/365 gently caress-gently caress garrison Army.

I remember a peacetime Marine Corps. When war were declared we lost more people to drug pops than the guys who didn't want to re-up for violence because we all got stop loss'd.. I later wound up with the Army due to a poor decision making process that let me think working for the TSA would be an easy part time job while I work on college but that was somehow dumber and more homoerotic than peacetime Marine Corps, where we had a guy we called "The Gay from the Bay" cause he was from San Francisco and would stare at people in the shower.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

A good Army day.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

MEDS CURE SCHIZOS posted:

It was Petraeus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XXE_gjje7A

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

quote:

Normally, when we carried our weapons, we kept one finger (the trigger finger) at the ready next to the trigger mechanism in the event we had to quickly engage the enemy, but that wouldn’t fly under Petraeus, who introduced the “Devil Grip”, since apparently everything with him had to involve the loving devil. Essentially, this just meant keeping your trigger finger out of the trigger well.

:qq: abloobloo meaniehead petreaus wont let me be a retard with my gun, woe is me!

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Kaliber posted:

They are also going to have a BDE live fire. With no dry/blank run. Or a walkthrough.....

How to get relieved in 30 days12 hours or less.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

:qq: abloobloo meaniehead petreaus wont let me be a retard with my gun, woe is me!

That article just screamed O-1 problems.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Yeah like what the gently caress pretty sure keeping your finger off the trigger isn't some weird policy Petraeus come up with, if anything that article showed there were massive systemic safety issues within the brigade to the point the commander needed a cutesy name for "stop being loving stupid" :psyduck:

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Justin Tyme posted:

if anything that article showed there were massive systemic safety issues within the brigade to the point the commander needed a cutesy name for "stop being loving stupid" :psyduck:

I remember reading that article the first time and thinking at the start, "maybe there were warning signs or something..." and at the end hating the jackass who wrote it. Oh no, someone made him do his drat job, it was terrible. Just some idiot who hates his old boss because he made him do his drat job.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
yea, his list of grievances are literally:

1. high and tights mandatory (gay but whatever)
2. have to observe gun safety (shouldnt have to be said)
3. occasionally do dog and pony show demonstrations instead of scratching your balls or hazing or cleaning or whatever peacetime army does

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Best general I ever met gave nobody his itinerary, pulled a major he knew to be his driver, slept in the field with the Joes, made us do a single briefing, then left.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I had heard of something (before my time) in the 82d that I think this is referring to. Troopers used to keep their trigger finger straight along the Mag well like normal people, until some dickhead came along and made them put all four fingers on the pistol grip, like an ape.

Imn (picture that being a normal finger off the trigger thing) instead they were required to do it like this mm. Picture that horizontal on an M4. I am tired and don't know if that makes sense.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

bulletsponge13 posted:

I had heard of something (before my time) in the 82d that I think this is referring to. Troopers used to keep their trigger finger straight along the Mag well like normal people, until some dickhead came along and made them put all four fingers on the pistol grip, like an ape.

Imn (picture that being a normal finger off the trigger thing) instead they were required to do it like this mm. Picture that horizontal on an M4. I am tired and don't know if that makes sense.

yeah, i got you. sounds dumb.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
well this part is pretty damning

quote:

Essentially, this just meant keeping your trigger finger out of the trigger well.

which implies that lt fucknuts had his booger hook hovering over the trigger like a goddamn idiot

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
please name change me to boogerhook fucknuts, thx in advance

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
It's almost like Vice deliberately floods the Internet with poo poo

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
just lol if you dont walk around with burst selected

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

just lol if you dont walk around with burst selected

Every time I shot burst it was everything I could do to not yell "pop pop pop"

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Booblord Zagats posted:

Every time I shot burst it was everything I could do to not yell "pop pop pop"

There have been plenty of time when I had to do exactly that with some low budget lovely training

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

There have been plenty of time when I had to do exactly that with some low budget lovely training

I did this with the M2 a few times. But I made ratattattat noises and then explosions and bombs like it was one of those gi Joe noise makers

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Booblord Zagats posted:

I did this with the M2 a few times. But I made ratattattat noises and then explosions and bombs like it was one of those gi Joe noise makers

yeah if your "gun" never started randomly making PEW PEW PEW noises go gently caress yourself!

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST

bulletsponge13 posted:

There's trainers out there these days saying that finger straight can lead to spraining and dislocation injuries during movement, fwiw

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

sky shark posted:

There's trainers out there these days saying that finger straight can lead to spraining and dislocation injuries during movement, fwiw

:jerkbag:

this is the same dumb babby line of thinking that got everyone wearing pt belts for everything

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

sky shark posted:

maybe lil piss babies should suck it the gently caress up

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

sky shark posted:

I'll start to maybe give one tenth of a flying gently caress about that source of possible injury when the Army gets serious about known, documented and blatantly obvious sources of injury like 'Hey company, we're all going to ruck twenty miles next week for PT. Better get ready for it!'

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST
It's like the Army is capable of doing stupid things despite knowing better. Shocking revelation.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

daily reminder that the army can forever suck my balls

eat poo poo got my dd214

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

eat poo poo got my dd214

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

eat poo poo got my dd214

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

eat poo poo got my dd214

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Also apparently back when that dude wrote that article the army was using AR15s for some reason instead of M16s. That stuck out most, like, who the gently caress calls it that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Justin Tyme posted:

Also apparently back when that dude wrote that article the army was using AR15s for some reason instead of M16s. That stuck out most, like, who the gently caress calls it that?

Could be for the sake of the audience. You hear AR-15 more often than M-16 in the media now and he wanted readers to know what he was talking about.

• Locked thread