Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

be nice wicka posted:

john force's kids, mainly. really goes to show how important it is to get in the sport early, with the appropriate support.

true but there's a tradition of women in drag racing that goes well beyond the Force kids. I guess drag racing just has a far lower barrier to entry than racing go-karts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Speaking of kart racing, I just found out that Daniel RIccardo and Fernando Alonso have their own racing kart brands.

http://www.fa-kart.com/index_eng.php
http://birelart.com/birel-art-racing/ricciardo-kart-racing

This must be the racing driver version of launching your own fragrance line or something.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
"Danny Karts" and "Karts of the Dead"

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

"Danny Karts" and "Karts of the Dead"

Cartos de los muertos roboticos.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Jarno had his own line too

Trulli trainers

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

Dynamite Dog posted:

Jarno had his own line too

Trulli trainers

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

MustardFacial posted:

Speaking of kart racing, I just found out that Daniel RIccardo and Fernando Alonso have their own racing kart brands.

http://www.fa-kart.com/index_eng.php
http://birelart.com/birel-art-racing/ricciardo-kart-racing

This must be the racing driver version of launching your own fragrance line or something.

Alonso has a museum/kart track/kart school which is apparently one of the best in Europe.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Everything Alonso does is cool

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times

Dubs posted:

OIL OR RAIN OR FOG ON SCREEN BLACK FLAG

This is the first thing that I thought of. The driver will have no way of dealing with this, as they can't reach much further than the steering wheel, much less rip of two feet of plastic and put it in the 'glove box'.

On top of that, the person who screams off the line won't get any dirt/oil/whatever on theirs until they catch the backmarkers, like we need the person in front to have more of an advantage.

That said, I still prefer it to the Ferrari one.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

The Ferrari one would look fine if it was integrated into the livery

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Quick someone call the RAF and tell them goons think it's unsafe to fly through rain or clouds!

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

What if we make them slow down and have to fly behind a cesna for a while?

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

learnincurve posted:

Quick someone call the RAF and tell them goons think it's unsafe to fly through rain or clouds!

Well we are getting the F-35 and in that shitpile it probably will be.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Alonso-sensei is imparting Samurai teachings on instagram now.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEe75HHhmrt/?taken-by=fernandoalo_oficial

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

frankenbeans posted:

This is the first thing that I thought of. The driver will have no way of dealing with this, as they can't reach much further than the steering wheel, much less rip of two feet of plastic and put it in the 'glove box'.

On top of that, the person who screams off the line won't get any dirt/oil/whatever on theirs until they catch the backmarkers, like we need the person in front to have more of an advantage.

That said, I still prefer it to the Ferrari one.

There are ways of dealing with this. You people act as if all of the problems have not been solved already.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Am I the only one that thinks the halo/windshield/cockpit thing isn't that big of a deal? The topic is about as interesting as the stepped noses from 2012 and everyone will forget about whatever they decide introduce six races into 2017.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

1500quidporsche posted:

Am I the only one that thinks the halo/windshield/cockpit thing isn't that big of a deal? The topic is about as interesting as the stepped noses from 2012 and everyone will forget about whatever they decide introduce six races into 2017.

I don't think it's a big deal apart from making the cars look cool as hell. Europeans love to bitch and moan about tradition which is why it took FIFA 30 years to add goal line cameras, or using video to review a play, etc.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

MustardFacial posted:

I don't think it's a big deal apart from making the cars look cool as hell. Europeans love to bitch and moan about tradition which is why it took FIFA 30 years to add goal line cameras, or using video to review a play, etc.
They still seem unhappy about breaking the tradition of wild unchecked corruption. Took the bold forward thinking Americans to do something about that.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

They still seem unhappy about breaking the tradition of wild unchecked corruption. Took the bold forward thinking Americans to do something about that.

The American solution would be to use controlled checked corruption or as you know it by its common name: lobbying.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

learnincurve posted:

the coatings used on fighter jet canopies are not only outrageously expensive but also closely guarded secrets

e: not that i don't think this is an unsolvable problem. you just put a tear off on there like a le mans car. done. but i've said it a thousand times: the solutions in place on fighter jets are never in a million years going to be relevant to F1.

wicka fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 22, 2016

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

learnincurve posted:

Yeah, all we need to do is to put a full IFR suite into the F1 car.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It's F1, teams will already have really clever people set on inventing better water repellent coating than anyone else and figuring out ways to monetise it. The thing is when they are following other cars in heavy spray they can't see gently caress all as it is, once they know they have a material that can take a tyre impact they can work out the details like aero flow and water.

posting because this is relevant and never not funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeAuQ2Xem4Q

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

They'll be like the glass used on aircraft that basically repels water from the surface.. plus it'll just kind of streak off when you're going 200mph. It's no different to getting rainwater or oil on your visor.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

learnincurve posted:

It's F1, teams will already have really clever people set on inventing better water repellent coating than anyone else and figuring out ways to monetise it. The thing is when they are following other cars in heavy spray they can't see gently caress all as it is, once they know they have a material that can take a tyre impact they can work out the details like aero flow and water.

posting because this is relevant and never not funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeAuQ2Xem4Q

98 was good and cool.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The best blogger is at it again...

http://www.manorracingfanblog.com/rio-haryanto-not-running-money/

He's also saying that his Rio was robbed rant and several days worth of bitching on twitter was a joke, honest.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

be nice wicka posted:

the coatings used on fighter jet canopies are not only outrageously expensive but also closely guarded secrets

e: not that i don't think this is an unsolvable problem. you just put a tear off on there like a le mans car. done. but i've said it a thousand times: the solutions in place on fighter jets are never in a million years going to be relevant to F1.

Superhydrophobic coatings are both easily available and also pretty cheap as well. They're also really effective for repelling water, oil, mud, basically anything that is in a liquid state. You can also make it bind to fabric, glass, steel and painted surfaces.

Here watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPM8OR6W6WE

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

It may weaken the material as part of the bonding process.

I'm not saying its not an option. I'm just skeptical it is an option in a world where teams that have hundreds of millions of dollars still use visor tear-offs.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

1500quidporsche posted:

I'm not saying its not an option. I'm just skeptical it is an option in a world where teams that have hundreds of millions of dollars still use visor tear-offs.

The same teams that used weak helmets that allowed us to see Felipe Massa getting a lobotomy live on TV.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I'm sure if teams were to subsidise helmet manufacturers then research could have been done, rather more profit in an S class with no wipers than helping another company out. Here's a very cool fact, if Massa were to have an identical spring to the face accident this weekend then he would be perfectly fine as it would just bounce off the F1 helmets of today.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

1500quidporsche posted:

It may do, I don't know much about their reactions to other materials. But these coatings are a fairly recent invention, most of them have only been on the market for 2-3 years. It's going to take some time I think before we see it trickle down to other industries.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

learnincurve posted:

I'm sure if teams were to subsidise helmet manufacturers then research could have been done, rather more profit in an S class with no wipers than helping another company out. Here's a very cool fact, if Massa were to have an identical spring to the face accident this weekend then he would be perfectly fine as it would just bounce off the F1 helmets of today.

Fun fact. It took someone getting brained for them to fix it.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Norns posted:

Fun fact. It took someone getting brained for them to fix it.

Air crash mechanics at it's finest.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Testing the new 2017-spec car around COTA...

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Bun Diffuser

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Does it still have (early 90s) Pontiac trans am taillights?

aequalis
Aug 11, 2010

Fernando is smugger than you. Can you confirm you understand that message?
Felipinho Massa has beaten Ricky D in a once off spec series race. Replay here: https://www.facebook.com/massafelipe19/videos/582078005299670/

aequalis fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 22, 2016

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Are Dan is the greatest, a gentleman in defeat.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
A real race car going around a real track for a change. Don't worry, we'll go back to F1 again soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJor4Y7WHYk

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The indycar visor cam videos do a real good job of illustrating why F1 and most motorsports looks boring now. The on board cameras are too good at taking out vibration, all the cars look like they've got suspension out of a Rolls or a Bentley even when they're going over curbs. The reality is the car and driver is getting shaken to hell and its just the camera that's floating along.

Everything is sweeping wide shots that tend to follow the cars versus static which takes away any sense of speed. Everything just seems sterilized and I'm pretty sure 90% of the complaints of the cars being too easy to drive would go away if they took away some of the image stabilization out of the onboards and had more fixed cameras on corners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Seriously, because that video is loving frightening and those cars aren't even as fast as F1. There needs to be a rethink of cinematography in F1 or something.

• Locked thread