Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Just got summoned into a world where ALDRICH started t-posing everywhere. He also couldn't fight back, so we just whaled on him for easy souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.

Tracula posted:

Something about their whole aesthetic reminded me of the spirit that was inside the Bed of Chaos. Very long tendrils coming from a vaguely humanoid body.

I thought the tree butterflies grew out of the dead people trees scattered around Lothric. Theres also a lot of dead people sitting in chairs in the Undead Settlement who are just starting to sprout branches.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
God damnit, logical end results. I wanted to fire buff my ice sword even if it makes no sense :argh:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Senethro posted:

I thought the tree butterflies grew out of the dead people trees scattered around Lothric. Theres also a lot of dead people sitting in chairs in the Undead Settlement who are just starting to sprout branches.

I'm sure that's what it is, especially with what the guide calls them apparently. I was just pointing out that it's similar in appearance to the Bed of Chaos from DS1 is all.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Monomythian posted:

FYI I got non stop Sentinel summons rolling a new character because so many red twinks invade Lothric and Undead Settlement wanting to kill newbies. You just have to keep you SL as low as possible 15-20.

I was gonna try getting up to 40-50 and hanging around in the area after Pontiff to see if I'd get more bites. This current character I made specifically for getting everything and gently caress the idea of farming Silver Knights.

I'll try later to just rush a character to get the Blue Sentinel badge and see if I get any hits.

FYI at level 31 with a +3 sword I was getting pretty consistent Watchdog summons across two days.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Senethro posted:

I wonder if the idea is that the world is reverting to its primal state; "A land of grey crags, arch-trees and everlasting dragons."

BTW the chaos dark sword is really insanely good for pvp because you can just pretend shields don't exist and then throw a chaos great fire orb and wither anything. I'm considering making it Reinforced instead though. Any thoughts? Does it really matter? At 18/18/22/25 str/dex/int/fth I have an AR of 333 or so I think on a +7 sword.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Apr 22, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

GodspeedSphere posted:

Says who? I've gone from late game through to ng++ as dark moon without a single invasion. SL 72 - 82, +10 weapons, and 0 luck. I've pretty much resigned myself to silver knight farming. On NG++, I suspect that I'll probably earn enough to take my entire inventory from +3 (currently) to +6.

Edit: When the password system does connect, it seems to be without restrictions. Same character was able to help a friend through the Undead Settlement.

I'm one of the few lucky ones who can seem to get summoned as a Darkmoon pretty regularly, so I'm assuming if people are seeing bluecops at SL100 then I'll probably still be getting summoned then.

It seems like 80%+ of people just never get a single hit, though, which sucks.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty
Found this poking around in old files.

:darksouls:

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
You know what weird mashup/callout From hasn't done in a souls game yet? Armored Core. I dunno about you, but I'd be down for somehow fighting a mech in a DLC.

Edit: Regarding bluecop summons, personally, I see them 1-2 times per hour or so at around SL100. I seem to be in the right range to catch people going through archives or peak, which are both at least somewhat active in terms of invasions.

Speaking of invasions, I'm getting real sick of finding 2 phantoms in every single world I try to invade. Or hosts who wedge themselves into some corner and hide forever, possibly also popping a seed of giants. I wish there was a spell that could point you toward the current host location.

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 22, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I wonder if the idea is that the world is reverting to its primal state; "A land of grey crags, arch-trees and everlasting dragons."

BTW the chaos dark sword is really insanely good for pvp because you can just pretend shields don't exist and then throw a chaos great fire orb and wither anything. I'm considering making it Reinforced instead though. Any thoughts? Does it really matter? At 18/18/22/25 str/dex/int/fth I have an AR of 333 or so I think on a +7 sword.

You mean Refined?

It depends on what you're going to level from here. If you're keeping your Str/Dex roughly where they are and focusing on Int/Faith/Vigor/Endurance then stick with Chaos.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

I'm one of the few lucky ones who can seem to get summoned as a Darkmoon pretty regularly, so I'm assuming if people are seeing bluecops at SL100 then I'll probably still be getting summoned then.

It seems like 80%+ of people just never get a single hit, though, which sucks.

Yeah, the only auto-summon covenant that's worked for me is Aldrich Faithful. Luckily, that's a really good one. I got summoned into a world last night on the roof by the archers right as he was doing the run up. I decided to stand at the end of the ramp. :haw:

quote:

You mean Refined?

It depends on what you're going to level from here. If you're keeping your Str/Dex roughly where they are and focusing on Int/Faith/Vigor/Endurance then stick with Chaos.

If you dark infuse the dark sword it becomes the Reinforced Dark Sword instead of the Dark Dark Sword. :v:

The scaling is basically the same between dark and fire right? I guess the only difference would be if the Dark Sword gets better dark scaling, or if more things are weak to fire. I won't be touching str/dex anymore though.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

HnK416 posted:

Potentially unpopular opinion time, but so far I feel confident in saying that Dark Souls 3 is better than 1. Core gameplay has taken the best parts of DS, DkS, and DkS2 and put them all together, enemy design is nicely varied, as are the locations, and the level design is honestly outdoing Dark Souls in a lot of places. DkS had fantastic level design, don't get me wrong, but 3 has that same sprawling, interconnected feel that 1 has with the level of sheer design quality that DS and Bloodborne had.

The only area that's felt kind of off has been Smouldering Lake and considering what it's supposed to be it makes a lot of sense.

I suppose the only area 3 is solidly losing to 1 in is upgrading, in both availability of materials and ability to upgrade your armor. FromSoft, why do you continue to think this is a good idea? :argh:

I'm actually glad armor upgrading is gone. Weapon upgrading is one thing, but having to upgrade my armor along with it was annoying because it was one more thing that was "necessary" for being optimal.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Only change I know of us the damage type. Determining optimality would demand a statistical study on who wears what resistances.

I do know that fire is amazing in PvE though.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Harrow posted:

You mean Refined?

He meant Dark. Dark infused dark sword is called "reinforced dark sword" instead of "dark dark sword"

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Near the entrance to the Crystal Sage boss there are some broken stairs with an item above. How do I get up there?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

If you dark infuse the dark sword it becomes the Reinforced Dark Sword instead of the Dark Dark Sword. :v:

The scaling is basically the same between dark and fire right? I guess the only difference would be if the Dark Sword gets better dark scaling, or if more things are weak to fire. I won't be touching str/dex anymore though.

Ohhhh, okay. That's actually sad, Dark Dark Sword would own.

The scaling is the same but I'd bet you'll meet fewer things that resist fire than things that resist dark. For PvP it probably doesn't matter, but for PvE I think Chaos is a bit more all-purpose. (Though Strength increases fire resistance for players, while Faith increases dark resistance, so if you're going purely for PvP Dark might be a tiny bit better on most opponents.)

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Obligatum VII posted:

You know what weird mashup/callout From hasn't done in a souls game yet? Armored Core. I dunno about you, but I'd be down for somehow fighting a mech in a DLC.
Screw that, you want a mech in a game, there's only one choice: Lord of the United States, Metal Wolf!

I mean, they've shoehorned him as an extra boss in another one of their games, they can do it again.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.

double nine posted:

Near the entrance to the Crystal Sage boss there are some broken stairs with an item above. How do I get up there?

Back track a little and there is a window out the side with a rock ledge on it.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

double nine posted:

after you kill the first hollow in that building, go up the stairs, and kill the spear hollow, jump out the open window you're facing when you enter the room

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'll just stick with Chaos then, thanks guys!

quote:

Ohhhh, okay. That's actually sad, Dark Dark Sword would own.

The Really Dark Sword :v:

quote:

I mean, they've shoehorned him as an extra boss in another one of their games, they can do it again.

Really? Which one?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Obligatum VII posted:

Covenant of the Nine. Seeketh your target, and commence hostilities.

Robo Reagan posted:

I'm actually glad armor upgrading is gone. Weapon upgrading is one thing, but having to upgrade my armor along with it was annoying because it was one more thing that was "necessary" for being optimal.

Me too, it leaves that much more titanite to spend on playing with piles of weaponry just for the hell of it. Upgrading just "one" outfit was still throwing down time and materials for four separate objects.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
So I'm trying to run a sword and board dude right now. I have a pretty heavy shield that negates all damage but keeps me from rolling effectively. So what am I supposed to do when I fight guys who the shield doesn't work against? Like the big fat dude with the axe who does the big spinning attack (early game, haven't even gotten to the second boss yet).

Should I switch to a different shield? One hand my weapon?

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Is there a way to make Pestilent Mercury not trash?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

HnK416 posted:

Potentially unpopular opinion time, but so far I feel confident in saying that Dark Souls 3 is better than 1. Core gameplay has taken the best parts of DS, DkS, and DkS2 and put them all together, enemy design is nicely varied, as are the locations, and the level design is honestly outdoing Dark Souls in a lot of places. DkS had fantastic level design, don't get me wrong, but 3 has that same sprawling, interconnected feel that 1 has with the level of sheer design quality that DS and Bloodborne had.

The only area that's felt kind of off has been Smouldering Lake and considering what it's supposed to be it makes a lot of sense.

I suppose the only area 3 is solidly losing to 1 in is upgrading, in both availability of materials and ability to upgrade your armor. FromSoft, why do you continue to think this is a good idea? :argh:

There's way more upgrade mats than in DS1 and DS2 though. Like, I heavily upgraded six or seven weapons and still finished the game with like 50 regular and large titanites, without ever buying or farming them.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

So I'm trying to run a sword and board dude right now. I have a pretty heavy shield that negates all damage but keeps me from rolling effectively. So what am I supposed to do when I fight guys who the shield doesn't work against? Like the big fat dude with the axe who does the big spinning attack (early game, haven't even gotten to the second boss yet).

Get more carry weight so you can roll properly.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

skasion posted:

There's way more upgrade mats than in DS1 and DS2 though. Like, I heavily upgraded six or seven weapons and still finished the game with like 50 regular and large titanites, without ever buying or farming them.

but now you need to go and farm up the gems which have a terrible drop rate and you cant buy them anywhere

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!

Robo Reagan posted:

I liked it because it meant I could upgrade a meh set of gear that I liked for ~Fashion~ and have it be marginally more useful for later areas of the game, but I can see where you're coming from.

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am

PantsBandit posted:

I assume you're using a great shield of some kind. In the area you're in, down a slightly hidden side path, there's a Silver Eagle Kite Shield with 100% physical block and decent magic block that only weighs 5.0. I'd try hunting that down.

As for the big halberd fatties, you just aren't meant to be in range for their spin attack. If you have the slow roll you'll need to learn the tell for them starting it and begin backing up immediately.

e: just-woke-up spelling yay

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I'd just like to say that being a Sunbro for a caster is horrible and I don't recommend it.

"No, no. It's fine. I'll just do everything while you stand so far away from the boss that your little soul arrows all miss by planetary trajectory margins."

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

PantsBandit posted:

Would embracing your inner spartan and wearing as light/little clothing as possible allow you to dodge while still using it? I like shields myself, and went full Tower Shield retard in DS1. But being able to roll and have a smaller shield > having a bigger shield but not able to roll, when fighting stuff a shield ignores. I've been primarily using the Lothric Shield (Normal, not Greatshield) as a safety buffer for dodging against stuff that doesn't just bounce right off it in DS3 so far, considering my very little investment in Endurance, and enemies who don't bounce off you will just keep on trucking with their entire combos.

Plus there are lots of enemies with special attacks that will guard crush you straight out. When you see a Lothric knight two handing their weapon, your shield isn't going to handle it very well :v:

Also like Melanion said, the helicopter spin isn't a good time to be trying to shield tank. But being able to block the initial hit if you were too close and then rolling away to complete safety? Much more pleasant. Though that's a hell of a lot harder with an over 70% equip load fat roll.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 22, 2016

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Just wanted to throw out something I haven't figured out yet. All the item descriptions of the corvians link them to the Painted World. But then, in Untended Graves, the corvians present are all gathered in one spot around the grave you came out of in "real" Firelink. There is a body in the grave in the UG version. The body carries the Ashen Estus Ring: "Gray crystalline ring crafted from shards. Increases FP restored by Ashen Estus Flask. Once a treasure brought before Lothric's Queen, she had it enshrined in the Cemetery of Untended Graves, so that one day an Unkindled might profit from its use."

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

argondamn posted:

I was gonna try getting up to 40-50 and hanging around in the area after Pontiff to see if I'd get more bites. This current character I made specifically for getting everything and gently caress the idea of farming Silver Knights.

I'll try later to just rush a character to get the Blue Sentinel badge and see if I get any hits.

FYI at level 31 with a +3 sword I was getting pretty consistent Watchdog summons across two days.

I have kept my second playthrough completionist character at a lean SL40+4 for covenants and challenge. All the bosses went pretty smoothly until Twin Princes, which is turning into a nightmare. I haven't been close yet even with help from Sirris and Orbeck.

I mean I have enough covenant items to max them all twice over now so I don't need to stay this low, but I'm so close to the end I wanna follow through. Rooftop Deep Cathedral invasions also never get old so maybe I'll stick stay perma low.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

I'll just stick with Chaos then, thanks guys!

The Really Dark Sword :v:

Really? Which one?
A JRPG called Enchanted Arms.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CB0Hqigapo
You beat him and he joins your party, described as "the president of a far distant land".

turtlecrunch posted:

Just wanted to throw out something I haven't figured out yet. All the item descriptions of the corvians link them to the Painted World. But then, in Untended Graves, the corvians present are all gathered in one spot around the grave you came out of in "real" Firelink. There is a body in the grave in the UG version. The body carries the Ashen Estus Ring: "Gray crystalline ring crafted from shards. Increases FP restored by Ashen Estus Flask. Once a treasure brought before Lothric's Queen, she had it enshrined in the Cemetery of Untended Graves, so that one day an Unkindled might profit from its use."
Maybe they're just looking at that spot and seeing a similar motherly figure that is reminiscent of Priscilla?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I thought I'd never ask but being a sorcerer in this one is atrociously difficult. Unless I'm going full retard, my staff doesn't seem to make my spells more powerful as I upgrade it and my intelligence increases damage on a most marginally level.

How the gently caress am I supposed to level up? Dump everything into attunement and int while I slow cast and get butt hosed by everything that can lunge or attack suddenly?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Can I still feel accomplished beating a boss if the NPC I summoned jobbed pretty drat hard? Untended Graves was a pain in the rear end so when I got to the boss I considered summoning another player.

I decided against it but saw that I could summon the uchi dude from the start of the game and said sure why not. He pretty much got himself torn apart by the random mobs I didn't aggro beforehand and in the actual boss fight he died in like 10-15 seconds without landing a single hit :v:.

I was ready to just take this fight as a learning experience on moves and played like poo poo but somehow ended up winning anyway despite getting super combo'd like 2 or 3 times. Seriously I wish more bosses had flashy combo strings like that because I laughed my rear end off at it.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Senethro posted:

i thought this too until i got a good closeup of them:

they are quite fleshy and quite gross

Grimalkin
Oct 2, 2008

Andrigaar posted:

I'd just like to say that being a Sunbro for a caster is horrible and I don't recommend it.

"No, no. It's fine. I'll just do everything while you stand so far away from the boss that your little soul arrows all miss by planetary trajectory margins."

I feel that. Some dude last night never once took out an actual weapon, and even when his magic hit, it was surprisingly weak. What are you doing, man? :confused:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I should probably take the blue sentinel cov off huh

I get invvaded and like three show up

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Is the queue for the cops as bad as the other games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Zealand can eat me