Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Alder posted:

Hehehe I thought about the soup but my cooking level is closer to sandwiches and pasta. I don't even know how to make stock unless you meant store-made brands. Although Google is my friend I tend to mess up all but the most simple recipes.

Chili is a very good thing to learn since it mostly just amounts to throwing a bunch of red stuff in a pot and simmering for several hours. Main thing with learning cooking is that the range for acceptable is pretty big in most cases, so there's plenty of margin for error. You don't need to make some super subtle flavor profile and control things with high precision.

Baking on the other hand you have to follow to the letter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Learn how to stir-fry, you can make all kinds of stuff with it. I don't even follow recipes, just make sure you put things in in the right order of how long they take to cook through and watch to make sure things don't burn.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Just read Shinmai Shimai and learn how to make Egg Fluffy.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

chumbler posted:

Chili is a very good thing to learn since it mostly just amounts to throwing a bunch of red stuff in a pot and simmering for several hours. Main thing with learning cooking is that the range for acceptable is pretty big in most cases, so there's plenty of margin for error. You don't need to make some super subtle flavor profile and control things with high precision.

Baking on the other hand you have to follow to the letter.

Thanks will check out the cooking forums.

Tarezax posted:

Learn how to stir-fry, you can make all kinds of stuff with it. I don't even follow recipes, just make sure you put things in in the right order of how long they take to cook through and watch to make sure things don't burn.

Pretty much how I cook my vegetables atm. It does get tiring a bit because lentils but it's edible mostly.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I should probably make this into a proper GWS post, but I've long held that the perfect way to learn how to cook is to make grilled cheese sandwiches.

You learn:

* The importance of lubrication
* Browning
* Listening for cooking noises
* Mise en place
* The importance of ingredient temperature before cooking
* heat management
* food manipulation in the pan
* timing
* texture and how it changes the end product
* thicknesses and how they affect heat transfer.

And then once you've got the basic grilled cheese sandwich down, you can start throwing poo poo into those grilled cheeses and experiment with flavor and ingredients.

Also, there is something seriously satisfying about even the dirt-nastiest cheapo two slices of white bread with butter or margarine on the outsides with government cheese in the middle.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 21, 2016

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I remember a cooking show making a grilled cheese sandwich with two frying pans. I think it was to press the sandwich.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Yeah, that was an episode of Good Eats, but :effort: =P

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I should probably make this into a proper GWS post, but I've long held that the perfect way to learn how to cook is to make grilled cheese sandwiches.

You learn:

* The importance of lubrication
* Browning
* Listening for cooking noises
* Mise en place
* The importance of ingredient temperature before cooking
* heat management
* food manipulation in the pan
* timing
* texture and how it changes the end product
* thicknesses and how they affect heat transfer.

And then once you've got the basic grilled cheese sandwich down, you can start throwing poo poo into those grilled cheeses and experiment with flavor and ingredients.

Also, there is something seriously satisfying about even the dirt-nastiest cheapo two slices of white bread with butter or margarine on the outsides with government cheese in the middle.

Look at this fucker not buttering both sides of the bread.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

My husband introduced me to putting mayo inside, and now grilled cheese without it tastes so dry and lifeless. I like mayo on the outside too (a thin layer) since it gets nicely crusty and a little tangy.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
gross

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Mayo is the best condiment, it basically goes on everything. This may be a derail but it's a derail I can get behind.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Mayo is the best condiment, it basically goes on everything. This may be a derail but it's a derail I can get behind.

Japan agrees with you, much to my chagrin.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Nate RFB posted:

You are objectively wrong

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
When I was vacationing in San Francisco recently I was upset that the In-and-out burger didn't have mayo for my burger and fries. Fries are especially great with mayo, way better than sugary tomato paste.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Mayo is delicious with big belgian fries.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Mayo is good when used the right way

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

besides complaining about stupid plot decisions people regularly talk about food in the shokugeki thread and make dishes from the series if anyone's interested. the wakako-zake thread also had some good anime food discussion

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Compendium posted:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Compendium posted:

Pretend I posted a .gif of Kamen Rider Beast slathering a doughnut with mayo.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Sorry to derail mayo chat but new Colette!

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I want to read something where the couple ends up together, it happens before the end of the manga, and the manga is actually finished and it was a good ending. Basically, the rarest possible type of manga.

I have read:
- Kare Kano
- Lovely★Complex
- My Love Story!! (not finished but it's great, they are together!)
- Kimi ni Todoke (not finished in real life but in my heart it ended when it was still good)
- Bonnouji

And that's it. Any recommendations?

EDIT: Ha, apparently I asked the same in 2012.

gmq posted:

What (completed/finished) anime/manga is like Kimi ni Todoke, Lovely Complex or Kare Kano?

It seems most shoujo series have unlikable characters, stupid premises or are not finished. :smith:

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 22, 2016

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Everything Burrito posted:

Sorry to derail mayo chat but new Colette!

Doesn't Tama translate to lightning or sth? poo poo, how did i not figure that out

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Pastrymancy posted:

Doesn't Tama translate to lightning or sth? poo poo, how did i not figure that out

That means 'sphere' or 'ball', pretty sure.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

gmq posted:

I want to read something where the couple ends up together, it happens before the end of the manga, and the manga is actually finished and it was a good ending. Basically, the rarest possible type of manga.

I have read:
- Kare Kano
- Lovely★Complex
- Kimi ni Todoke (not finished in real life but in my heart it ended when it was still good)
- Bonnouji

bonnouji

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

gmq posted:

I have read:
- Kare Kano
- Lovely★Complex
- Bonnouji

;)In that case I'll answer how i did back then

a kitten posted:

You might look at watching or reading Paradise Kiss it's by the same author as Nana, but is way shorter, complete and while still being a drama is less full of the huge drama that is prevalent in it. I haven't read the manga, but I completely love the anime.

It also has one of the best drat ending sequences ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgMAKuJIkmc

If you don't mind the two leads both being girls, Sasameki Koto has a lot of the same charm that those series do; mixing comedy, drama and all of young love's foibles. The anime is too short and the manga is kind of too long (although it does eventually wrap up nicely), so it's not really perfect in that regard.

However I will add that I have since read ParaKiss (easily purchased and everything) and only 3 volumes long, and it is completely wonderful and has become one of my favorites. And also add the Girl Friends by Morinaga Milk to my old suggestion as well.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

gmq posted:

I have read:
- Kare Kano
- Lovely★Complex
- Bonnouji

The involved couples have their issues up until close to the end, but I think you would like My Little Monster (Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun) and Taiyou no Ie. Both have superb endings.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I just read Orange and it was cute and good and it made me cry. :3:

It kinda has the opposite problem of Kare Kano though, I'd love to have read more about what happens with the side characters.

Anyway, I'm going to check out My Little Monster, Taiyou no Ie, Girl Friends and Para Kiss. Thanks!

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

gmq posted:

I have read:
- Kare Kano
- Lovely★Complex
- Bonnouji

my little monster comes to mind.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Horimiya fits the criteria, though it has weird moments with the girl, Hori, having a thing for being (apparently) abused and the boy, Miyamura, being intensely uncomfortable with doing that.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
ReRe Hello is also great in the whole "cute couple gets together early on" aspect, but it's still an ongoing series and the English translations are behind. :(

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah I can think of several ongoing series with couples that are together early on and being cute, finished is a lot harder.

e: in Hibi Chouchou they start dating pretty early and the ending is cute but the pace is glacial because both of them are incredibly shy. It might be a better read all at once vs waiting on chapters though.

On my phone, I'll come back to this when I can better look up titles.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 22, 2016

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Is it really too much to ask that people spoiler tag these titles?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
is that another joke like the girls kissing thing was

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

No, I just prefer not knowing if they end up together or not before it happens. It's like people asking for titles where the partner dies, and then I have to pray I've already read everything suggested.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
There is like zero mystery in most shoujo romance. You know from the beginning who is going to end up together because they're usually on the cover holding hands or whatever.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

yes, this comic in which the title is the names of the two protagonists combined into a single word, like branjelina, has a chance of them not ending up together

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

That one wasn't a joke either, I'm pretty sure.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Like 75% of shoujo romance is all about Will They End Up Together Or Not, and if you mention a bunch of titles where the initial premise isn't specifically "A Cute Couple", then it constitutes a major spoiler. One blatant example would be Taiyou no Ie, to me.

Is it so surprising that there are readers who like not knowing until it happens? It's one thing if it's dealt with in like 2-3 volumes, but some of the titles mentioned are quite late development spoilers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm having trouble thinking of anything where I had some sort of concern or uncertainty that the two characters identified as The Main Couple in the first chapter wouldn't end up together, even if for the bulk of the story they aren't. Every now and then one might throw you a curve or have a really well-constructed (or annoying and frustrating) love triangle that creates some uncertainty but I don't think anyone in here has ever openly spoiled one like that. The ones mentioned all had pretty well telegraphed couples, even if there was a rival present.

Asking for spoilered titles in a list where the big reveal is "they started dating" is kinda like asking not to spoil the name of a manga where the good guys win.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 22, 2016